Vic E/W Link / Metro Rail / Large projects

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome. That's what I've been after, thanks :D

To me, South Yarra is neither here nor there. Skipping Richmond is the main problem. I can't see why they can't run every second Dandenong train via Richmond and the alternatives via Metro rail and do the same with the Frankston line, giving commuters from both lines a choice on which way they want to travel.
Cos that goes completely against any sensible planning and operation of a rail network

South Yarra concerns me, there needs to be an interchange at this point

Awesome. That's what I've been after, thanks :D

To me, South Yarra is neither here nor there. Skipping Richmond is the main problem. I can't see why they can't run every second Dandenong train via Richmond and the alternatives via Metro rail and do the same with the Frankston line, giving commuters from both lines a choice on which way they want to travel.

I'd go a step further....Have Dandenong and Frankston trains stop at Caulfield (upgrade the station accordingly), and there is just a continuous shuttle of trains between Caulfield & Richmond/CBD (express and non, some loop, some to Flinders).

Mind you, I'd also couple that with the sinking of rail lines I mentioned earlier so the F/D lines are a level down, and run in ditches to at least Bentleigh/Clayton, thus removing a lot of the nastier level crossings.

I agree, Sth Yarra is a bit of a nothing stop....Busier than most, but not a 'major station' that requires a lot of specific planning.

Good read, I like it; actually makes a lot of sense.

Having said that, I can't see Melbournes traffic problem being improved by shutting down the Monash tunnels, as an example, but rather it would mean more people take the day off work or work from home as they did in Jan this year.

It also works on the premise that people know the best/fastest route and how modifications will alter that, which seems a bit optimistic.

It also works on the premise that people know the best/fastest route and how modifications will alter that, which seems a bit optimistic.
Realistically the problem is that all the alternative roads are already chockers. Ironically, the Monash is the quickest route from Caulfield to the City.

I wish the current public authorities were more open to changing their minds. I do think politicians prosper when they listen to the public service, just like listening to any other expert. But there is far too much campaigning going on from pollies, public servants, private interests and, of course, regular people (assuming Meds isn't an avatar working for a private interest). So the public service should listen to other experts just like the pollies.

I mean, trying to restrict the ring road to 80 KM/hr after all the safety initiatives we've had in the last 20-30 years?? At least that might explain why never-ending roadworks have made large sections of the ring road be 80KM/hr everytime I've driven on it. And then there was the Geelong ring-road that took a freeway and ended it in a T-intersection... Maybe that was so the pollies could pretend the plan didn't include the extra billions required for the new ramps that were eventually built, but sometimes it seems like the PS are just as keen to campaign rather than propose, listen and analyse.

As you said with the east-west link, just because something is suggested as an option doesn't mean it is about to be built, and with 42 years in between you'd hope they changed the design a few times! But obviously there is a limit. And obviously there is waste. MYKI being another ghastly recent example.

I'm pretty sure we all have a realistic clue, it just isn't politically appealing as it involves destroying current housing/infrastructure to bring in high-density and locals always protest. I thought the first-home buyers grant should've instead been made to encourage empty-nesters to sell up (rather than the expansion of Melbourne's boundaries). Who knows what that money could've achieved in re-modelling some of the eastern suburbs so we had more suburban hubs. Box Hill has been mentioned before.

Also note that governments have systematically purged thepulic service of expertise, the turn round and pay their mates to supply expertise......then employ an army of spin doctors to sell the unsellable

Meanwhile the Regional Rail Link is just 3 weeks away from services commencing on it.

From June 21, all Geelong and Warrnambool trains will run via the RRL, along with trains starting and terminating at new station Wyndham Vale.

What this will ultimately mean is that there is the ability for more services to run to and from Werribee...and a whole heap of new bus lines and for the first time in Melbourne, double decker buses!

Lol handouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If small business can't exist without tax-breaks they should go to the wall. The tax-payer is not here to flatter the fantasies of nobs who don't have a solid business plan. Throwing good money after bad. Let someone with a solid business plan swallow up the demand of small business minnows.

Public money is better spent on infrastructure projects which help the economy in general. The East-West Link is the exemplar of flushing money down the toilet, actually, just shoving fistfuls of dollars into the pockets of non-competitive conglomerates.

Opening up more roads rather than a rail network in the eastern corridor is like dealing with obesity by suggesting someone buy fat-man pants. A train system through Doncaster will alleviate traffic congestion and provide ongoing full-time jobs. A road network does nothing but invite more cars and clogging, provides only temporary jobs and (on the LNP model) guarantees profits to a company who does nothing but provide the original capital with massive tax-payer subsidies.

Last edited:
Meanwhile the Regional Rail Link is just 3 weeks away from services commencing on it.

From June 21, all Geelong and Warrnambool trains will run via the RRL, along with trains starting and terminating at new station Wyndham Vale.

What this will ultimately mean is that there is the ability for more services to run to and from Werribee...and a whole heap of new bus lines and for the first time in Melbourne, double decker buses!
This is going to be a cl$$$&&&& of the highest order the geelong line is full at peak hours there is extra services but no extra rolling stock there will be two/three extra stops on most peak services in Melbourne with a quicker trip in than on the Werribee line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If small business can't exist without tax-breaks they should go to the wall. The tax-payer is not here to flatter the fantasies of nobs who don't have a solid business plan. Throwing good money after bad. Let someone with a solid business plan swallow up the demand of small business minnows.

If insolvent individuals can't exist without $900 handouts then they should go bankrupt. The tax-payer is not here to flatter the fantasies of nobs who don't have a solid life plan. Throwing good money after bad. Let someone with a solid life plan swallow up the job opportunites of insolvent individuals.

You do realise they didn't give anything away they just speeded up how quickly you can depreciate an asset

This is going to be a cl$$$&&&& of the highest order the geelong line is full at peak hours there is extra services but no extra rolling stock there will be two/three extra stops on most peak services in Melbourne with a quicker trip in than on the Werribee line.

Hahaha..only a moron would even think that.

It's actually going to see Werribee trains at the same frequency as most other lines, supplemented by the trains every 20 minutes via the RRL.

Hahaha..only a moron would even think that.

It's actually going to see Werribee trains at the same frequency as most other lines, supplemented by the trains every 20 minutes via the RRL.
People are going to get on at Wyndham vale/tarneit by the truckload as it is much quicker etc than getting on at Werribee. Currently no one at werribee gets on the crowded peak services City bound but that is all going to change the geelong trains are running about every ten minutes for 2 hrs in the morning and afternoon, with less sets on each service it will be chaos.

I was under the impression that the reason for the delay untill RRL opened was that they were waiting for new rolling stock. There are certainly more peak hour services with the new timetable. Not looking forward to my train picking up in the wild west.

I was under the impression that the reason for the delay untill RRL opened was that they were waiting for new rolling stock. There are certainly more peak hour services with the new timetable. Not looking forward to my train picking up in the wild west.
Both this govt ordered 21 carriages the last govt 43, I dont think the come into service between 2016 and 2020

If insolvent individuals can't exist without $900 handouts then they should go bankrupt. The tax-payer is not here to flatter the fantasies of nobs who don't have a solid life plan. Throwing good money after bad. Let someone with a solid life plan swallow up the job opportunites of insolvent individuals.
No one suggested they should have given that hand out either :confused:

I'll make the point again: a tax concession is not a handout.

I often think the world is divided between people who know this and people who don't'
The ones who know it generally do better managing their domestic finances, I have found - and governments - of whatever political persuasion - who understand it do better managing the country's finances too.

Hardly, state governments are even worse run. See Joan Kirner and WA Inc (not to mention Qld and NSW corruption and general stupidity in SA and Tas). Victoria was in serious trouble when Kennett came in.
And it was in serious trouble when he left too.

We had more debt as a % under Bolte than under any other State Government

Ballieu first budget doubled Victoria's debt

Government debt doesn't seem to be the major problem in this country

image.jpg

Talk about a hypocritical electorate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back