Vic E/W Link / Metro Rail / Large projects

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, no one uses the train at the moment because it doesn't exist. Build it and they will come, replacing the various bus services that operate in Melbourne and surrounding areas right now.

It would also wrong foot Mr Andrews and put pressure on him to reinstate a popular policy he rejected in order to cut open Swanston St for the best part of a decade.

Call me naive, but I am looking forward to the wedge being buried in australain politics. Or at least not the default go to strategy

Let's actually deal in reality.

I am fortunate to know a handful of train and tram drivers. Worked onside at least one a few years back.

What the public isn't being told is that the pay situation is only A MINOR ISSUE.

As was revealed on 3aw on Wednesday, a caller made the point that part of what both Yarra Trams and Metro are lookin g to do is introduce a new roster whereby workers would be forced into working 12 consecutive days without a break. Many of the shifts would be 12 hour shifts to boot.

Now I ask anyone in here, including you Jane....what would be the potential risks of that?

I can think of 2 risks.

Fatigue.
Injuries or worse.

The former could also cause the latter.

And we haven't even started talking about the sacrifices such a roster would create, for family and social life for a start. Is it any wonder the Union isn't happy.

Of course this doesn't even include the fact that these drivers often face suicides by people deliberately walking in front of their heavy vehicles.

Pazza - why don't any of these serious issues get a mention in the reports of the settlement?

TRAM strikes planned for Melbourne next week will not go ahead after Yarra Trams and the public transport union reached an in-principle agreement.
EMPLOYEES will receive a 14 per cent pay rise over four years as well as two separate cash payments totalling three per cent, Yarra Trams said in a statement on Friday evening.

Trauma and family violence leave will be introduced in new enterprise agreements while maternity leave, secondary carer's leave and bereavement leave will be increased.

Just beat up bullshit from you Pazz?

Well, no one uses the train at the moment because it doesn't exist. Build it and they will come, replacing the various bus services that operate in Melbourne and surrounding areas right now.

It would also wrong foot Mr Andrews and put pressure on him to reinstate a popular policy he rejected in order to cut open Swanston St for the best part of a decade.
So you're a strong supporter of the FTTH NBN?

Well, we don't have privately owned trains. They are a regulated industry. The NBN is something that the private sector could have provided given the opportunity. But that wouldn't help country Australia where the benefits would not outweigh the costs.

Most major cities have a train to the airport. It's odd that in Melbourne, a city with such a reliance on its large public transport system which is just about the best in Australia, we don't have a train to the airport. A government had a plan for one and it was scrapped after that change of government.

Well, we don't have privately owned trains. They are a regulated industry. The NBN is something that the private sector could have provided given the opportunity. But that wouldn't help country Australia where the benefits would not outweigh the costs.

Most major cities have a train to the airport. It's odd that in Melbourne, a city with such a reliance on its large public transport system which is just about the best in Australia, we don't have a train to the airport. A government had a plan for one and it was scrapped after that change of government.

There's a nasty little contract in the way. Just another dodgy deal by Jeff.

There's a nasty little contract in the way. Just another dodgy deal by Jeff.

Just out of interest Pazza do you know if any proper costing has been done on it?

Ie: We already have Skybus which is expensive but works well in my experience. Skybus is closer to turn up and go than any of the rail lines right now.

Would we not be better spending any such money on expanding the network rather than building a line already well serviced by a dedicated bus service?

Whilst it would be nice, shouldn't the bigger priorities be things such as Doncaster, Rowville, duplication and expansion of Cranbourne to East Cranbourne?

We have a new parcel of land just released out in Melton, surely electrifying to Melton now has to be looked at as well as a bigger priority?

In terms of costs-benefits, successive governments of all colours have tried to make the sums work on a Doncaster train line.

All have failed. It will never happen.

Rowville probably would have been viable if Waverley Park were still an AFL venue. Good thing Bracks saved it.

Cranbourne I can't speak about.

In terms of costs-benefits, successive governments of all colours have tried to make the sums work on a Doncaster train line.

All have failed. It will never happen.

Rowville probably would have been viable if Waverley Park were still an AFL venue. Good thing Bracks saved it.

Cranbourne I can't speak about.
I'd suggest they've tried to make the sums not work so that they don't have to build it, they try the opposite when it comes to roads.

Fair point on Doncaster. I'm just sceptical given RRL is the first new line added to the network in how many years?

Rowville would be fine. Similarly to Labors version of metro it would service a major Uni as well as the housing estates further east. If you used the Huntingdale rather than GW option

Cranbourne, admittedly selfish given I'm living in Lyndhurst. Though I'll be back west before its ever fixed. Virtually single track from Dandenong to Cranbourne, which means short running multiple services every peak to keep their KPIs ticking along. Estate after estate being built in the area, with no plans to fix the existing issues on the line OR expand at all. It's madness. They will have a diabolical situation in 20 years time if the groundwork isn't done now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of interest Pazza do you know if any proper costing has been done on it?

Ie: We already have Skybus which is expensive but works well in my experience. Skybus is closer to turn up and go than any of the rail lines right now.

Would we not be better spending any such money on expanding the network rather than building a line already well serviced by a dedicated bus service?

Whilst it would be nice, shouldn't the bigger priorities be things such as Doncaster, Rowville, duplication and expansion of Cranbourne to East Cranbourne?

We have a new parcel of land just released out in Melton, surely electrifying to Melton now has to be looked at as well as a bigger priority?

The line to Melton needs to be duplicated first, then electrified. However, the latter is impacted on by RRL, so further tracks may need to be built between Robinsons Road and Sunshine. New station to be built at Christies Road (Caroline Springs), upgrade of Rockbank and Melton stations as well.

My solution to the rail link to the airport is actually a lot simpler than anything else, as it uses current track for the most part.

RRL included the construction of Platforms 15 and 16 at Southern Cross. Curious to me is the lack of Geelong services to and from that platform. Most services off-peak go from Platform 1. So, whilst Traralgon/Sale/Bairnsdale services use Platform 16, it is under used.

Why not run services from Platform 15, via the freight /XPT line through Albion and build the remaining track from Keilor Park.

The fact we dont have a rail link is nothing short of a joke to our city. with areas around the airport getting built up every year it will make getting to the airport almost impossible during peak hours

The fact we dont have a rail link is nothing short of a joke to our city. with areas around the airport getting built up every year it will make getting to the airport almost impossible during peak hours

When Jeff and Transurban signed the CityLink con tract and then the Skybus contract, it made the rail link a distant possibility.

Contracts can be terminated.

We have the technology.
Do you think you're being clever by constantly repeating things that are clearly wrong and called out as such, but make the Liberals look better?

Cancelling that contract cost taxpayers a lot of money. The Liberals signing it was an utter, utter disgrace. The worst example of cynical politics in my life.

When Jeff and Transurban signed the CityLink con tract and then the Skybus contract, it made the rail link a distant possibility.

Google tells me that the Skybus contract has been reviewed and re signed in 2002 & 2008. Not sure what that has to do with Kennett? If there was a nasty contained in it surely the Labor government could have removed such clauses?

What specifically is in the CL contracts that prevent a rail link to Tulla?

A contract is a contract, and governments are able to enter into them between being sworn in and the caretaker period. If we are going to talk about bad contracts, then the Desalinisation plant and Myki come to mind, which the Baillieu Government honoured for two reasons: cost and principle.

If cancelling that one and the cost involved is a good idea, then perhaps building a rail link to the airport would be a good idea even if contracts had to be "torn up" or re-negotiated.

What makes Melbourne so unique that is does not need a train to the Airport, other than a contract? BTW, I don't remember that contract being mentioned when the Melbourne Metro Plan of the previous government was being promoted.

A contract is a contract, and governments are able to enter into them between being sworn in and the caretaker period. If we are going to talk about bad contracts, then the Desalinisation plant and Myki come to mind, which the Baillieu Government honoured for two reasons: cost and principle.

If cancelling that one and the cost involved is a good idea, then perhaps building a rail link to the airport would be a good idea even if contracts had to be "torn up" or re-negotiated.

What makes Melbourne so unique that is does not need a train to the Airport, other than a contract? BTW, I don't remember that contract being mentioned when the Melbourne Metro Plan of the previous government was being promoted.
Everyone knows the difference between those contracts, but good luck with your campaigning.

Your second quote made reference to the safety issue with the trauma cover.

What? The answer to grave safety issues is not to address the issue directly so that it doesn't occur - but to provide paid leave after it does? Excuse moi but :D:D:D

What a fantastic con. You really should not be peddling these lurks here as addressing safety issues, Pazz.
Safety, of all things, should be taken seriously. Remember the pink batts?

Google tells me that the Skybus contract has been reviewed and re signed in 2002 & 2008. Not sure what that has to do with Kennett? If there was a nasty contained in it surely the Labor government could have removed such clauses?

What specifically is in the CL contracts that prevent a rail link to Tulla?
Nothing there were clauses in some of the contracts that would invoke penalties if a rail line was built. They have lapsed. It just lefties doing what the do best whingeing about the liberals for the sake of it rather than getting on with life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back