Rd 22: 2015

Waters - Mackenzie - Bennell
Hurn - Brown - Ellis
Rosa - Priddis - Gaff
Shuey - McGovern - Newman
LeCras - Kennedy - Darling

Naitanui - Selwood - Yeo

Wellingham - Lycett - Masten - Karpany

On paper leg speed and footskills are no issue. Rosa may wind it up if he has another injury hit year and perhaps Coniglio -> Priddis.

If we drafted Pickett, Weller or Ahern I would suggest all have a chance of playing senior games in 2015.

Hurn - Brown - Ellis
Rosa - Priddis - Gaff

Naitanui - Selwood - Yeo

On paper leg speed and footskills are no issue. Rosa may wind it up if he has another injury hit year and perhaps Coniglio -> Priddis.

If we drafted Pickett, Weller or Ahern I would suggest all have a chance of playing senior games in 2015.

How far off do you think Sheed is?

How far off do you think Sheed is?

Still a little while yet. Which there is no shame in, most inside midfielders need time to develop their games.

I'll be interested to see how he responds to a full preseason but at this stage in terms of the pecking order I reckon he is definitely behind Colledge for starters.

Hurn - Brown - Ellis
Rosa - Priddis - Gaff

Naitanui - Selwood - Yeo

surely mcgovern is a lock down back. his ball use and footy smarts were a revelation in the latter part of the year. if we have to shift him around to accommodate waters it will be to our detriment.

surely mcgovern is a lock down back. his ball use and footy smarts were a revelation in the latter part of the year. if we have to shift him around to accommodate waters it will be to our detriment.

Note I left out a third tall down back and had a resting ruck on the bench, so I would suggest in that 22 McGovern would be playing both forward and back.

Hurn - Brown - Ellis
Rosa - Priddis - Gaff

Naitanui - Selwood - Yeo

I like the fact you've got Sharrod in there.

You, like me, are obviously under the impression he'll come good next year? If that's the case, he's easily in our best 22.

Starting both Newman and Karpany is a bit of a stretch though. Especially ahead of Cripps, who played great footy towards the end of 2014.

Given he hasn't even played WAFL seniors yet I can't see Waterman playing many games (if any) next season.
Half of this year's draftees haven't played seniors yet.

I reckon he'll play 6 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At AFL level?

Nup, Priddis has never been rested in his life and he'll be behind Sheed and Colledge in the pecking order also. 3 games MAX, and all as the sub.
We can't say he's automatically behind Colledge, as Brant is very much still a project midfielder.

6 games was probably too generous though, I forgot his tank is a problem (or was it just a conspiracy to allow us to take him with our last pick? /tinfoil)

it'll all depend on how he goes with his endurance over the pre-season I guess.

We can't say he's automatically behind Colledge, as Brant is very much still a project midfielder.

6 games was probably too generous though, I forgot his tank is a problem (or was it just a conspiracy to allow us to take him with our last pick? /tinfoil)

it'll all depend on how he goes with his endurance over the pre-season I guess.

And playing against men. Something he's still yet to do. WAFL seniors could be a big step up for him, let alone AFL.

I like the fact you've got Sharrod in there.

You, like me, are obviously under the impression he'll come good next year? If that's the case, he's easily in our best 22.

Starting both Newman and Karpany is a bit of a stretch though. Especially ahead of Cripps, who played great footy towards the end of 2014.

Round 22 ;) It is a stretch but I reckon Newman is a gun and I think Karpany might surprise a few.

Yeah I think Sharrod will come good. Had a good 2013 when fit. Needs to be used right though.

And playing against men. Something he's still yet to do. WAFL seniors could be a big step up for him, let alone AFL.
Neither have any of the Melbourne based draftees, but we don't rule them out of playing AFL matches in year 1.

Gov down back allows Hurn to drift forward and take more of that quarterback launching attacks role. Otherwise, we rely on Hurn too much for kick-ins and so he has play deeper. Gov's kick-ins were good enough that he can take some of that role from Hurn.

Still allows him to swing forward every now and then, which causes problems for opposition defence as it isn't something they can pre-plan for, in terms of exactly when it is going to happen.

Gov down back allows Hurn to drift forward and take more of that quarterback launching attacks role. Otherwise, we rely on Hurn too much for kick-ins and so he has play deeper. Gov's kick-ins were good enough that he can take some of that role from Hurn.

Still allows him to swing forward every now and then, which causes problems for opposition defence as it isn't something they can pre-plan for, in terms of exactly when it is going to happen.

Would rather Shep & Bennel to improve further and with a fit Waters & Ellis we should have plenty of options down back to help it Hurn out which will allow him to be free. Mcgovern down forward will help fix our forward line slightly which allows Darling to play 3rd tall.

Neither have any of the Melbourne based draftees, but we don't rule them out of playing AFL matches in year 1.

As an inside midfielder it's not going to be easy. If he has a good preseason and trims down and then shows a bit in the preseason then a role off the flanks or as a sub isn't out of the question.

But he's an inside midfielder first and foremost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried to rank everyone in a few general areas, to see where all the players sit in comparison to each other. Asterisk * is for a player's secondary position (ie. if Mackenzie and Brown are both unavailable, McGovern would be my next choice of key defender despite putting him in the forward line ideally).

Key Defenders:

Mackenzie, Brown, McGovern*, McInnes*, Schofield*, Barrass, Powell

Small/Utility Defenders:
Hurn, Ellis, Bennell, Schofield, Sheppard, Waters, Butler, Brophy, McGinnity*, Carter, Wilson

Ballwinners/Onballers:
Priddis, Shuey, Selwood, Yeo, LeCras*, Sheed, Hutchings, Waterman, Maginness, Adamson

Ruck:
Naitanui, Lycett, Sinclair*

Wing/Half Forwards:
Gaff, Rosa, Masten, Cripps, Wellingham, Newman, Karpany, Hutchings*, McGinnity, Colledge, Tunbridge, Main

Forwards:
Kennedy, LeCras, Darling, McGovern, Hill, Lycett*, Sinclair, McInnes

So my current best 22 (predraft) is:

B: Hurn, Mackenzie, Bennell
HB: Ellis, Brown, Schofield
C: Gaff, Priddis, Rosa
HF: Masten, McGovern, Cripps
F: LeCras, Kennedy, Darling
R: Naitanui, Shuey, Selwood
I: Sheppard, Yeo, Lycett
S: Wellingham

Obviously hoping that some of the lower ranked guys (Karpany, Newman, Brophy, etc.) have great preseasons and improve the side, and hopefully a draftee can add something straight away (pace & damage in the midfield).

I've tried to rank everyone in a few general areas, to see where all the players sit in comparison to each other. Asterisk * is for a player's secondary position (ie. if Mackenzie and Brown are both unavailable, McGovern would be my next choice of key defender despite putting him in the forward line ideally).

Key Defenders:

Mackenzie, Brown, McGovern*, McInnes*, Schofield*, Barrass, Powell

Small/Utility Defenders:
Hurn, Ellis, Bennell, Schofield, Sheppard, Waters, Butler, Brophy, McGinnity*, Carter, Wilson

Ballwinners/Onballers:
Priddis, Shuey, Selwood, Yeo, LeCras*, Sheed, Hutchings, Waterman, Maginness, Adamson

Ruck:
Naitanui, Lycett, Sinclair*

Wing/Half Forwards:
Gaff, Rosa, Masten, Cripps, Wellingham, Newman, Karpany, Hutchings*, McGinnity, Colledge, Tunbridge, Main

Forwards:
Kennedy, LeCras, Darling, McGovern, Hill, Lycett*, Sinclair, McInnes

So my current best 22 (predraft) is:

B: Hurn, Mackenzie, Bennell
HB: Ellis, Brown, Schofield
C: Gaff, Priddis, Rosa
HF: Masten, McGovern, Cripps
F: LeCras, Kennedy, Darling
R: Naitanui, Shuey, Selwood
I: Sheppard, Yeo, Lycett
S: Wellingham

Obviously hoping that some of the lower ranked guys (Karpany, Newman, Brophy, etc.) have great preseasons and improve the side, and hopefully a draftee can add something straight away (pace & damage in the midfield).

Interesting exercise, and I agree with that 22. If Waters gets some fitness and form back he's probably a good chance to displace Sheppard or Schofield, other than that I think this is probably what we'll see for most of the season barring injuries. After that, Butler, Sheed, Colledge and Sinclair would be the most likely to get a spot, depending upon what position was needed. McGovern being able to play as a KPP at either end is a great luxury for us as it basically gives us depth in both spots (if Brown or Emac are rested he can play there and Sinclair comes in, otherwise he's a fixture at CHF for me).

Really hoping to see something out of Newman and Karpany this year, if they aren't starting to contend for a spot in the 22 then I'd be concerned. Sheed might take a bit longer given out midfield's ...weirdness. Would love to see something from the other rookies & depth players but I'd consider anything there a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back