Eagles 2015 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Reasonable call in a balanced world. However when you find a major problem (such as a fourth quartile midfield) then more drastic action is required. This is when a talent manager with acumen is priceless.

Did Judd show brilliance in the WAFL for a sustained period? Do we have that many type A category players? More questions would lead to more disappointment.

We need to be more aggressive because we drafted mediocre midfielders in the recent history. Great to see Simo leading a team that is taking action. But traditional massaging of the list is not what we need.
I agree that it is an issue to be fixed with list management. You cannot fix list management issues with team management. Within the constraints of team balance, injury and workload management etc, you put your best possible team on the park. Putting a second or third rate team on the park in the interests of player development is trying to fix the problem with the wrong tool.

I don't think that West Coast will be in the top 4 for a few seasons yet. We should put games into young players Sheed Cavka Duggan Waterman Lamb Neeman and Karpany to find a good future midfield and flank mix. The Eagles have plenty of key position players and should consider trading Scofield or Brown because they would get interest from other AFL clubs. 2015 should be about giving some young players a chance at AFL level.

I agree that it is an issue to be fixed with list management. You cannot fix list management issues with team management. Within the constraints of team balance, injury and workload management etc, you put your best possible team on the park. Putting a second or third rate team on the park in the interests of player development is trying to fix the problem with the wrong tool.
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I for one do not want to put a third rate midfield out on the park each week on the grounds that they are best we can do.

I have watched AFL, NFL and EPL for enough years to understand the upside of taking some risks at the selection table and accerating development. Same old selection gives you the same old output. If you start recruiting better options then start using them.

Do you guys think that the Eagles should give all the first and second year draftees a whole year of development in the WAFL or play some of them at times next year instead of depth players like Butler Hill Mcginnity.

Do you guys think that the Eagles should give all the first and second year draftees a whole year of development in the WAFL or play some of them at times next year instead of depth players like Butler Hill Mcginnity.
You can't make that call now. They'll need to impress at training, intra club matches and Nab cup games.

By who ? Battles or test of strength in 1on1 are rare these
Also once glass retired and brown was injured or playing on smalls who was taking the 2nd tall forward ? Schoey ! We were one of the best teams for scores against last year which means he must have been effective in our defensive unit .

Do you mean tall forwards ? Because not many teams have 2 genuine power/gorilla forwards .

Debatable he may turn out to be a Kosi and not a Nroo

Schofield has much better agility than brown . Brown has straight line pace but the turning circle of a bus .
If EMac went down I would want brown as first replacement on the opposition best KPF but when eMac is playing what we lose in lock down effectiveness having schofield over brown as 2nd tall defender we gain in schofield's better marking and much better rebound ability .

Mate, Schoey is a decidedly average defender. He overrates his speed and recovery and therefore doesn't check as tight as he should and gets out-positioned a lot. He tries to do too much with the ball in hand and can end up losing the ball, getting caught and delivering to the opposition. his strength is his rebound ability and his length, but his composure isn't where it needs to be. He never has been and never will be a KPD, he is only a HDF/3rd tall. Brown is far and away the better defender.

Out of all our tall defenders Schofield is probably at the bottom of the pecking order. He is Victorian and only 25 and next year Scott Selwood is out of contract. A possible trade option could be Geelong as their key defenders are getting old and Selwood's brother is there and they both would be back home in Victoria.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I for one do not want to put a third rate midfield out on the park each week on the grounds that they are best we can do.

I have watched AFL, NFL and EPL for enough years to understand the upside of taking some risks at the selection table and accerating development. Same old selection gives you the same old output. If you start recruiting better options then start using them.
We agree in as much as I agree that game time is an important element in any players development. It is just that I think if player development is the only reason to put a player in the team, he shouldn't be in the team. You have to be at a certain level of development to actually get any benefit from a run in the firsts, and that level will get you some games without being gifted a spot. If you need the gift, it will not help.

Wow, lots of love for McKenzie in there, followed by daylight, followed by Hurn and Naitanui. EMac actually has more votes than all the others combined...

Current count:
EMac: 10
Hurn: 3
NN: 3
Kennedy: 1
LeCras: 1
Just shows how much of a gun he is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We agree in as much as I agree that game time is an important element in any players development. It is just that I think if player development is the only reason to put a player in the team, he shouldn't be in the team. You have to be at a certain level of development to actually get any benefit from a run in the firsts, and that level will get you some games without being gifted a spot. If you need the gift, it will not help.
In a way i agree with both of you. Young players should be given opportunity if they show good form in the WAFL and at any chance should be selected before guys like Sam Butler who was ok in his younger years but now should only be used as last resort.

Let me give an example. Season 2013. Wilson flew with the team to play GWS and was only emergency. We played established HB Flankers like Butler or Waters (cannot recall exact team) when we should of played Wilson. We won by 100 or so points and lost the opportunity to blood youth while still comfortably winning. Was Wilson in the best 22? No. Did we lose an opportunity? Yes. Was that additional percentage better than blooding and giving Wilson more time? In my mind a loss to the team list. You cannot have blanket statements in this area.

I use the term manage the portfolio. That means you do not look at every game and every week the same. If our best 22 are available each and every week would you continue playing them assuming we are sitting in positions 7 to 10? That would mean a no risk approach to selection.

Put into financial terms, adding a put or call option in a portfolio can pay big time. Always buying bank and infrastructure shares .....

Yeh they will play them before the kids again.Butler might be in the team all year. Hopefully Simpson plays Duggan ahead of the other 2 every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a way i agree with both of you. Young players should be given opportunity if they show good form in the WAFL and at any chance should be selected before guys like Sam Butler who was ok in his younger years but now should only be used as last resort.
I agree, all other things being equal, you would always play the guy coming up over the guy on the way down.

Let me give an example. Season 2013. Wilson flew with the team to play GWS and was only emergency. We played established HB Flankers like Butler or Waters (cannot recall exact team) when we should of played Wilson. We won by 100 or so points and lost the opportunity to blood youth while still comfortably winning. Was Wilson in the best 22? No. Did we lose an opportunity? Yes. Was that additional percentage better than blooding and giving Wilson more time? In my mind a loss to the team list. You cannot have blanket statements in this area.

I use the term manage the portfolio. That means you do not look at every game and every week the same. If our best 22 are available each and every week would you continue playing them assuming we are sitting in positions 7 to 10? That would mean a no risk approach to selection.

Put into financial terms, adding a put or call option in a portfolio can pay big time. Always buying bank and infrastructure shares .....
That would require having a crystal ball. If we had played Wilson, and lost by 2 points, is it still worth it then? Given what affect 1 loss can have on a season in an 18 team comp. The only time I would agree with you is if we are 4 games out of the 8 with 3 games to go, and I have little doubt we would in that situation blood youngsters.

I agree, all other things being equal, you would always play the guy coming up over the guy on the way down.
So Lycett instead of Cox?

That would require having a crystal ball. If we had played Wilson, and lost by 2 points, is it still worth it then? Given what affect 1 loss can have on a season in an 18 team comp. The only time I would agree with you is if we are 4 games out of the 8 with 3 games to go, and I have little doubt we would in that situation blood youngsters.
I really don't think any player in the competition is incompetent enough to have a -102 point net effect on any side, bar perhaps playing Tony Notte as a sole KPF.

Fair enough you don't replace 10 of your players with kids a la Freo vs St Kilda, but there's little risk in blooding one player in a match against GWS, as Jonenb hypothesised

Could someone please explain to me the rules around rookie listed players eg Kane Lucas Murrey Newman Will Maginness. Playing games at AFL level. Some sources say that rookies cannot play AFL level. Correct me if i am wrong but i thought Callum Sinclare was a rookie last year but he played about three games.

Could someone please explain to me the rules around rookie listed players eg Kane Lucas Murrey Newman Will Maginness. Playing games at AFL level. Some sources say that rookies cannot play AFL level. Correct me if i am wrong but i thought Callum Sinclare was a rookie last year but he played about three games.
Maximum senior list size is 40 players (38 minimum) and you can add rookie listed players to bring that number to an overall maximum of 44, not including category B rookies like Adamson and Brophy which can have up to 3 of

Rookies can be promoted to the senior list to bring that list to 40 or if a senior listed player is put on the long term injury list (min 8 weeks). Once the senior player is ready to resume the rookie must go back to the rookie list. After round 11 one rookie listed player can be elevated to the senior list

Rookies can play preseason games but can't play H&A games unless elevated to the senior list. Sinclair could play last year because Waters was on the LTI

I like the cut of your jib.

Too many times do we play our full best 22 in games we are tipped to easily win.

Priddis playing against GWS at home ffs. I mean seriously, if we rested him and gave another midfielder a full game would it really have that much of a negative effect on the team? That's just one example. There are countless more

Wow, lots of love for McKenzie in there, followed by daylight, followed by Hurn and Naitanui. EMac actually has more votes than all the others combined...

Current count:
EMac: 10
Hurn: 3
NN: 3
Kennedy: 1
LeCras: 1

I was going to point out the absolute utter lack of love for the Brownlow medallist, but Kranky was already onto it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back