Eagles 2015 team

Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Will Schofield, Eric Mackenzie, Jamie Bennell
HB: Xavier Ellis, Mitch Brown, Shannon Hurn (c)
C: Andrew Gaff, Elliot Yeo, Matt Rosa
HF: Mark Le Cras, Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling
FF: Murray Newman, Scott Lycett, Beau Waters

R: Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey, Scott Selwood

I: Chris Masten, Brad Sheppard, Jeremy McGovern

S: Sharrod Wellingham

You're missing the two-time Worsfold medalist.

Wow. You bunch of losers, as if this wasn't going to happen. What were you expecting? just not good enough.

Move on.

Bennell McGovern Brown
Hurn Mackenzie Waters
Rosa Selwood Gaff
Masten Darling LeCras
Lycett Kennedy Newman

Naitanui Yeo Shuey

Ellis Priddis Wellingham
Sheppard

Potentially Schofield to come in. This would move Wellingham to the sub role.

Biggest problem (apart from the obvious midfield issue) is the forward pocket position. I don't feel that Cripps is good enough.

I don't think alot will change from current perception.

It's what the side will look like in round 23 2015 that will be interesting.

Awesome Team.

E: Sheed, Cripps, Hutchings, Waterman

It looks so much more quicker without Priddis in there. Putting him in the center is like shoving in a plug in the middle opf the ground which stems fluidity.

Questions marks on Waters and Newman - hoping they both return to their best - both are best 22 when fit.

Really believe Sheed will force his way into the 22 at some stage and hold his spot. You can see his class/vision/smoothness/time he creates - just needs a bigger body over the preseason (like the whole team).

There is no point just listing 22 players. That best-22 will never play all games so the key to a successful year is to have some depth. Need to add at least one player to every line.

Good team. Would get a finals berth I reckon.
No priddis means instant quality and speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no point just listing 22 players. That best-22 will never play all games so the key to a successful year is to have some depth. Need to add at least one player to every line.

Depth For Thorne's team: Priddis, Sheed, Karpany, Cripps, Hill, Hutchings, Colledge, Carter. Excluding the last two you could make a strong case for any of them being in the best 22.

Depth really isn't our problem I just believe our midfield is short 1 top level midfield and we'll become a very strong team. Unfortunately this isn't an easy fix.

Also a lot of the year our forward line lacked any sort of cohesion and performed really badly, part of this is due to poor delivery but it's not surprising how well our forward line went when Cripps, Hill and Lecras were all included towards the end of the year. I'm not the biggest Hill or Cripps fan and look forward to seeing Karpany and Newman progress as they could potentially both be upgrades.

Following 20 I'd say are in the best with a raffle on 21st layer and sub

FB: Jamie Bennell - Eric MacKenzie - Jeremy McGovern

HB: Shannon Hurn (C) - Mitch Brown - Xavier Ellis

CEN: Matt Rosa - Elliott Yeo - Andrew Gaff

FOLL: Nic Naitanui - Luke Shuey - Scott Selwood (TAGGER)

HF: Sharrod Wellingham - Jack Darling - Chris Masten

FF: Scott Lycett - Josh Kennedy - Mark LeCras

INT: Brad Sheppard - Matt Priddis

Last 2 spots are a raffle really between the following players
Sam Butler
Brandt Colledge
Dom Sheed
Jamie Cripps
Will Schofield
Malcolm Karpany/ Murray Newman
Beau Waters

My personal choice for one of the selections is Colledge as that 6'3 to 6'4 midfielder that we desperately need, along with Yeo and Rosa.

Sheed who I think long term will be a ripper player, i'd wanted to see more of him in 2014 but he has time on his side and talent galore.
Schofield - really hope we can develop him into either a mid that can uses his speed and aerobic capacity to run and carry. Not be locked down to a tall forward again.
Karpany/ Newman are necessary players to have in a 22. That small fwd and forward pressure role. Going to rely on Masten, Wellingham and other forward rotating mids to bring it firstly but if they aren't doing the job than Karpany and Newman are ready as depth
Waters - I love Beauy as a player. Tough as nails, will be a terrific on and off field leader, a bloke that would fly the flag for his team (you need those types of characters in a team) but not sure what his body will do.

Mark Hutchings is unlucky but a fit Scott Selwood deserves first shot at the midfield tagging role

Can't be bothered posting my team so i'll just bring up a few things i've noticed....

- How much faster and versatile would the 2015 team be without Matt?

- What are people seriously expecting of Waters? Claims "he's AA bro" are a bit outdated now, considering that was in 2012. He's basically missed 2 seasons of football and is getting on. We all know his kicking skills can be a liability at times, and who's spot will he take? Xavier is a lock for the flank. Bennell the pocket. Butlers? Have to ask yourself if it would even be worth keeping him on next year. And yes, i know he's contracted.

- The club needs to get SOMETHING out of Sharrod. Play him as the sub, as a tagger, in the backline, just do something.

- Waterman should be physically ready to be given significant time in the guts with that absurd frame of his, should he not?

- Priddis, Selwood, Hutchings... Can't play all 3 of them IMO. Mcginnity shouldn't even get a mention, but if there was some miraculous reason why he's playing, then add him to that list.

- What are people seriously expecting of Waters? Claims "he's AA bro" are a bit outdated now, considering that was in 2012. He's basically missed 2 seasons of football and is getting on. We all know his kicking skills can be a liability at times, and who's spot will he take? Xavier is a lock for the flank. Bennell the pocket. Butlers? Have to ask yourself if it would even be worth keeping him on next year. And yes, i know he's contracted.

- Waterman should be physically ready to be given significant time in the guts with that absurd frame of his, should he not?
If Waters is fit (big ask) he's best 22 and I like the idea of him in the forward line, would apply great pressure and he's a good mark for his size. I think he's definitely versatile enough to play a variety of positions.

If Waterman is a player ready for round 1 we won't be getting him as late as we supposedly are. Let's not hype the kid up to early at the end of day he'll still be a 3rd(ish) round draft pick.

If Waterman is a player ready for round 1 we won't be getting him as late as we supposedly are. Let's not hype the kid up to early at the end of day he'll still be a 3rd(ish) round draft pick.

Doubtful. Waterman is big enough to play round one, but the pace of the game at AFL level will be a lot for someone with his attributes who has played very little senior football. Will get caught in transition a lot even at league level early on.

Can't be bothered posting my team so i'll just bring up a few things i've noticed....

It's one player. The whole 22 doesn't suddenly become quicker and "more versatile" just by axing Priddis.

I understand that Priddis is limited and we'd be better off if we could replace him with a genuine A-grader. But we don't have that A-grade midfielder. Is it really fair to continually bash Priddis for not being that player? None of the other guys in the team are that player either.

Priddis is a role player who has been asked to play as a prime mover. That's a symptom of the fact that guys like Masten and Wellingham aren't pulling their weight.

- What are people seriously expecting of Waters?
I fancy him as a mid-sized swing-man. One team posted above has him listed in a FP. I think that's a fair call.

- The club needs to get SOMETHING out of Sharrod. Play him as the sub, as a tagger, in the backline, just do something.

- Priddis, Selwood, Hutchings... Can't play all 3 of them IMO. Mcginnity shouldn't even get a mention, but if there was some miraculous reason why he's playing, then add him to that list.
I find it strange that you have Ellis as a lock and Waters gone. For my money they are both starting off the same mark for that half back position, shoulder to shoulder you might say.

Both have had injury interrupted careers, Ellis coming off two years in the wilderness before this year and Waters will be coming off a two year "break" after this season.

I would be happy if either got up for a complete 2015 season, both would be a bonus but if only one made it I would prefer Waters as he brings that special something to the contest.

FF LeCras Kennedy McGovern
HF Cripps Darling Masten
C Yeo Priddis Gaff
HB Schofield Brown Hurn
FB Bennell MacKenzie Ellis
R Naitanui Selwood Shuey
INT Lycett Rosa Sheppard Hutchings
EMG Sheed Butler Wellingham

Waters would obviously be an automatic selection if he plays on and is fit.

I cant believe the posts calling for Waters head. Our backline folds too often and our midfield isnt the only reason for that. Having said that, if we dont have two new starting quality midfielders in our team next year then we aint going nowhere. Hopefully two good players, where Selwood and Masten currently are.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back