Strategy Eagles Tactics and Strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

ShooterMcGavin

Draftee
Aug 25, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Just thought some people on here could provide some good ideas and strategies, because as supporters we all think we have a better idea of how to beat teams more than the coaches do :p Just post how you think we can improve tactically to combat other teams and their strategies they employ, or just talk about the tactics side of the game in general :)

Step 1 - Give it to Yeo

Step 2 - Go to Step 1
2wbsx3t.png

Step 1 - Give it to Yeo

Step 2 - Go to Step 1

Yeo isn't a great finisher. Blazes away too much and needs to lower the eyes. Has potential.

As for the topic, its hard to judge because I don't think we have quite mastered the gameplan yet. I think the main thing is not going in with sides that are too slow or too top heavy. Whenever we did we usually struggled.

One of the things I would endeavour to do is break up the congestion around the stoppages and in our forward line.
Teams are aware that if we get sucked into a congested footy game they will stifle our game and especially in the forward line if they can block space for the likes of Kennedy, Lecras and Darling to operate they will nullify our forward capabilities as well.

Limiting the amount of times the ball goes through Priddis's hands would be a massive step forward for us.

Having someone on ground that is quicker than him would make massive inroads to the team in not allowing the opposition players (with the ball) to run riot / as they please on offense.
Better hope one of our young guys takes a massive step up then.

This is to do with team strategy, selection and structure. Most of the top teams rotate about 10 to 14 players through their midfield so to do this...

We only need to play 7 tall key position players.
BACK E Mckenzie M Brown
FORWARD J Kennedy J Darling
RUCK N Natanui S Lycett
Swing Man J Mcgovern
At times in 2014 we were playing 9 KPPs those 7 plus Schofield and Cox. The 3 ruckmen idea DOES NOT work and extra height IS Not an advantage because it means LESS midfield/wing rotations, something that doesn't help in the last quarter of games. If we only have 7 KPP then there are 15 smaller more versatile players who can play plenty of different roles at back pocket, half back, wing, midfield, half forward and forward pocket. Of those 15 players i am talking about Hurn is the only one who can't really soend time in the midfield.
To wrap up our best 22 should be made up of the 7 key position players i mentioned and 15 other players, selected on form and match ups who at some time in a game can spend time on the wings and in the midfield.

Better hope one of our young guys takes a massive step up then.
Will happen and we've got a hell of alot of players at the right age to do that. I believe Simpson is the right coach to get the best out of our team. Seemed like every player improved last year from butler to Priddis and Sheppard surprised us all. Makes me very optimistic. Some quality posts in this thread but we all know speed kills, and with how hard it is to win a premiership with 18 elite football teams striving to be number one. Speed is a must

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is to do with team strategy, selection and structure. Most of the top teams rotate about 10 to 14 players through their midfield so to do this...

BACK E Mckenzie M Brown
RUCK N Natanui S Lycett
Swing Man J Mcgovern
At times in 2014 we were playing 9 KPPs those 7 plus Schofield and Cox. The 3 ruckmen idea DOES NOT work and extra height IS Not an advantage because it means LESS midfield/wing rotations, something that doesn't help in the last quarter of games. If we only have 7 KPP then there are 15 smaller more versatile players who can play plenty of different roles at back pocket, half back, wing, midfield, half forward and forward pocket. Of those 15 players i am talking about Hurn is the only one who can't really soend time in the midfield.
To wrap up our best 22 should be made up of the 7 key position players i mentioned and 15 other players, selected on form and match ups who at some time in a game can spend time on the wings and in the midfield.

I wouldn't count Darling and resting ruck as KPP's... sure they can pinch hit there, but they are wasted playing there the whole game. EMac, Brown, JK and Shooter are the only real KPP's. Lycett can play FF, but then we'd have to rely on NN to ruck the whole game...

I wouldn't count Darling and resting ruck as KPP's... sure they can pinch hit there, but they are wasted playing there the whole game. EMac, Brown, JK and Shooter are the only real KPP's. Lycett can play FF, but then we'd have to rely on NN to ruck the whole game...
6 of those 7 guys are over 195cm tall, Darling is only about 191cm, that is all the height we need. I was just trying to make the point that we need more midfield rotations. Top teams like Sydney, Fremantle and Hawthorn some weeks have 12 to 14 players who spend time in the midfield. The interchange cap won't help if the Eagles are using less midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Around the ground Naitanui to get a run and jump at the ball instead of wrestling. Use your advantage!
If he is the nominated ruck he can't (shouldn't) be blocked and he should be able to win majority of taps. With the rule you can't touch until the ball is in the air if he stands 5m from the drop if the opposition ruck tries to engage him he should get a free every time

There is probably good reason why this occurs and would be a focus of the opposition but i reckon it is a tactic we should be able to execute a hell of a lot better

Limiting the amount of times the ball goes through Priddis's hands would be a massive step forward for us.

Having someone on ground that is quicker than him would make massive inroads to the team in not allowing the opposition players (with the ball) to run riot / as they please on offense.

Don't utilise the teams only current reigning Brownlow medallist!

Right, got it!:thumbsu:

Have you got any other "bright" ideas?:cool:

BACK E Mckenzie M Brown
RUCK N Natanui S Lycett
Swing Man J Mcgovern
At times in 2014 we were playing 9 KPPs those 7 plus Schofield and Cox. The 3 ruckmen idea DOES NOT work and extra height IS Not an advantage because it means LESS midfield/wing rotations, something that doesn't help in the last quarter of games. If we only have 7 KPP then there are 15 smaller more versatile players who can play plenty of different roles at back pocket, half back, wing, midfield, half forward and forward pocket. Of those 15 players i am talking about Hurn is the only one who can't really spend time in the midfield.

Good post:thumbsu:

Regard Hurn not / can't spend time in the midfield this IMO is not the case and this is a major area we can improve.

What exactly do we mean by "in the midfield"? Is it roaming around all corners of the park following the ball or is it making impact on games 'in the middle of the ground'?

In the past Hurn has been used across half back but also drifting deep into the backline. We can see that Simpson likes engineering a spare man in defense. That spare man needs to attack across half back and run forward of the half way line. If we can get Hurn consistently kicking forward of half way into our forward 50 we would be a much, much more dangerous side.

It is known that Hurn has been held back a bit with groin issues that have stopped him playing the roaming midfield role but as an attacking half back / sweeper and now club captain he is the man we want with the ball in the middle of the ground in 2015.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back