List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Agree with that.

Just trying to keep us with an earlyish pick if possible.

Problem is the guys we'd be prepared to move wouldn't really be worth that (hence trying to bundle).

Every list managers would wish they could bundle a fringe player with a pick for a higher pick, it like trading in a used car when buying a new one, expect there are only 50 new cars made every year, and each car taken off the lot one is slightly better then those remaining.

While its possible that we could try to bundle Hunt or Brown half a dozen players we need another team to want to take them off our hand but given that hunt and many other on offer are not contracted for the next season they probably could just walk the the pre-season draft while still getting to their cub of choice, this lowers there overall trade value. At the moment I just hope(as opposed to expect) if we do lose someone we at least get something in return that we can use(at least a third round pick).

And that is the question, without being inside a club, we can never really determine.

Was Luke Parker always a gun that every club somehow missed? I know thejester (one of the best posters we have on here) was very, very keen to land him in his draft year.
Thanks mate.

I can't claim any great insight on Parker though, although I was keen for us to pick him. Was highlighted as one of Country's sure things in the lead up to the Champs and seemed to have a solid outing but just faded from view as other prospects rose. Did he interview badly? Speculation on my part but we took GHS at 37, who had played a minimal amount of footy but clearly would have interviewed well. He's turning into a similar type of player to Parker - inside mid who also kicks a lot of goals. I think most of us would be happy with his progress to date but objectively Parker is ahead. Interesting as well that the Hawks took Parkers Dandenong co-captain Hallahan (initially rated much lower) at 38. Again, looks a prospect but well behind Parker at this stage. Guess the other angle is that we then took Schroder - an inside midfielder who kicked a stack of goals for Calder - at 54. No idea the extent to which Wells plays the order but maybe thought he could afford to take a punt on GHS because Schroder would still be around.

In his year, Christensen was often cited as at Top 25 selection (some had him in the Top 10) but, from memory, his size and some poor fitness testing at season's end saw him slide. But he probably shouldn't have dropped as far as 40.

And I recall reading that Vardy was widely considered one of the best ruck prospects in his year.

Did they always have the talent that should have seen them taken higher or did the club that drafted them tap it and develop them to reach their potential (to be fair, Vardy is still very much "unknown")?
Bundy had the worst skin folds at DC, IIRC. It's crass but not hard to imagine a bunch of recruiters seeing a short indigenous kid walk in overweight and think 'no way'. Remember reading an interview with Bundy where he acknowledged it and said Wells and co had had a chat, and he'd worked hard on getting his weight down between DC and the draft. They saw he was putting in the effort and took him. Interesting that post-GF in 2011 I remember Bartel snorting his contempt that Bundy had been overlooked because he got a bit chubby. If nothing else, junior players get judged on a tiny window compared to other sports.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The issue for me is trying to judge what GWS think they need. They may want a couple of 22-24 types , picks , less picks but upgraded picks.

Honestly I'd say a guy like Hunt might be more appealing to them than other teams 24 , mature body , 60 odd games may appeal more than yet another kid even if the kid has more upside.But I'm only guessing.

Aug 18, 2014
Western burbs
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arizona Cardinals, Phoenix Suns
I'm no expert on the trading front, so do people think something like Taylor Hunt, our 2nd round pick (like pick 32?) and a swap of our first (pick 16ish) for their 2nd (pick 20ish) get it done?

Even reading through that again it feels like it wouldn't be enough :/

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
I was thinking our first rounder might get it done but I reckon we'd want to remain inside the top 25 if possible with the talent floating around the draft this year.

Our first rounder and Hunt for Jaksch and a pick in the early to mid 20s perhaps?

Just very hard to say.

When you try and work out these sort of deals you can see why Frawley is a simpler option.

All we have to do is convince him we're the club for him, make room on the list and have the money to satisfy him.
My gut tells me that we'll lose a couple for picks in the 30's.
And that Wells will once again trade our first pick for a couple more in the 30's.

Would not be surprised at all to see us having 4 picks in the 30's and one late 40.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
They would want more than Duncan for that.
Yeah but no, Duncan goes up there he's automatically in their top 5. Behind say Ward and Cameron. They've got some decent players on their list but most of them have been injured/s**t this year. That said Duncan goes over my cold dead body.

Jagshemash

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Get the feeling he'll end up at the Dogs. Fits a need. Went to school with Hrovat and Macrae...they have the currency and the cash to make it happen. Unlikely that we are a chance in this one.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Get the feeling he'll end up at the Dogs. Fits a need. Went to school with Hrovat and Macrae...they have the currency and the cash to make it happen. Unlikely that we are a chance in this one.
:( It would be a coup for the Doggies. I hope they get him if we don't Brendan is building quite the little side over in the Western Suburbs.

Jagshemash

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
:( It would be a coup for the Doggies. I hope they get him if we don't Brendan is building quite the little side over in the Western Suburbs.
They certainly are. Only really short at the bookends. They could have had Sam and Ben Reid had their father played 14 more games! That's painful.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
They certainly are. Only really short at the bookends. They could have had Sam and Ben Reid had their father played 14 more games! That's painful.
OUCH! Maybe the Dogs will appear on the Horizon for one or both of them. I know the Pies are getting fed up with Ben's injuries.

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I just had a crazy idea.

All depends on whether frawley committs to us.

Step 1 - frawley committs to Geelong

Step 2 - before the contract to frawley is tabled, Geelong approach melb and give them two options.

A) agree to pay frawley enough to ensure they get pick 3, but in return, they must trade that pick to Geelong for say our round 1 (#16) plus varcoe; or

B) if they disagree to do the above trade, we advise we will be paying frawley less, to which they end up with an end of round 1 (#19), being the next band.

Basically, it's either #16 + varcoe OR #19.

What option do they have?

It would be frowned upon, but pick 3 is also not worth frawley.

We could pull this off and just at the cost of paying frawley a little more, we get our hands on pick 3!

Can it be done?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Thanks mate.

I can't claim any great insight on Parker though, although I was keen for us to pick him. Was highlighted as one of Country's sure things in the lead up to the Champs and seemed to have a solid outing but just faded from view as other prospects rose. Did he interview badly? Speculation on my part but we took GHS at 37, who had played a minimal amount of footy but clearly would have interviewed well. He's turning into a similar type of player to Parker - inside mid who also kicks a lot of goals. I think most of us would be happy with his progress to date but objectively Parker is ahead. Interesting as well that the Hawks took Parkers Dandenong co-captain Hallahan (initially rated much lower) at 38. Again, looks a prospect but well behind Parker at this stage. Guess the other angle is that we then took Schroder - an inside midfielder who kicked a stack of goals for Calder - at 54. No idea the extent to which Wells plays the order but maybe thought he could afford to take a punt on GHS because Schroder would still be around.

Bundy had the worst skin folds at DC, IIRC. It's crass but not hard to imagine a bunch of recruiters seeing a short indigenous kid walk in overweight and think 'no way'. Remember reading an interview with Bundy where he acknowledged it and said Wells and co had had a chat, and he'd worked hard on getting his weight down between DC and the draft. They saw he was putting in the effort and took him. Interesting that post-GF in 2011 I remember Bartel snorting his contempt that Bundy had been overlooked because he got a bit chubby. If nothing else, junior players get judged on a tiny window compared to other sports.

For most of the kids , they can not afford to be looked upon as lazy or ill-disciplined. Putting on weight made him look a bit like that , on talent he was an R1

TheJimmyCartel

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
They would want more than Duncan for that.

How on earth could they justify that? ha

He's not even worth a straight swap at this stage IMO. A pick 20yo #12 who's played 7 games in his 2 years at a club full of kids vs. a near 23yo 100 gamer on track to be elite in the coming years.

(edit - I missed the addition of the pick 4 bit)

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not sure if it would be. Would have to check the draft tampering rules.

The afl ignore these types of agreements all the time. If frawley chooses us, it puts us in a position of power and Melbourne may even approach us to get an indication of what comp they will get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back