Unofficial Preview Early Thoughts: Rd 22 - Sydney v Western Bulldogs @ ES 24th Aug 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys who do we think the Picken tag will go to? Ive got a feeling whoever he takes will get about 6 Frees for. Hanners again?

Laidler took some great intercept marks but I don't think he hit a chest all day , same goes for KJ. If Biggs is getting drop for a couple of turnovers well as you say we have to drop half the side and I wouldn't bring in Shaw if some are worried about to many turnovers.
Geez to step from Neafl ( tempo of the game ) and get 25 possies 6 tackles anyone would have thought he didn't leave the bench

Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick ! Did I mention dropping Biggs for a few turnovers ? No. I said simply that Shaw is a better player. Until he runs out of steam he's got the spot ahead of Biggs. I get the Biggs love but what I don't get is the Shaw hate. Is there a more criticised player in our team ? His run and carry of half back is one of our most damaging weapons. When he and Mal are up and firing they kick start a lot of our fast ball movement forward. I know who I'd rather carry into the finals but don't get me wrong (again), Biggs is a very handy reserve and will have a bright future with us.

Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick ! Did I mention dropping Biggs for a few turnovers ? No. I said simply that Shaw is a better player. Until he runs out of steam he's got the spot ahead of Biggs. I get the Biggs love but what I don't get is the Shaw hate. Is there a more criticised player in our team ? His run and carry of half back is one of our most damaging weapons. When he and Mal are up and firing they kick start a lot of our fast ball movement forward. I know who I'd rather carry into the finals but don't get me wrong (again), Biggs is a very handy reserve and will have a bright future with us.
Why not play Shaw, Mal, Rohan and Biggs together, imagine the possibilities!

Why not play Shaw, Mal, Rohan and Biggs together, imagine the possibilities!
Add in Grundy, Richards, Rampe, Laidler and Johnson and we have a whole team of defenders!

All Correct. Educated Football person. Not sure if it is Shaw Hate Bungee because some on here think Bird is of no consequence to the side as was LRT during his career by some and Jake Lloyd should be replaced by
Tom Mitchell blah blah blah which begs the question why don't some people just stick to giving weather predictions ?:rolleyes:

All Correct. Educated Football person. Not sure if it is Shaw Hate Bungee because some on here think Bird is of no consequence to the side as was LRT during his career by some and Jake Lloyd should be replaced by
Tom Mitchell blah blah blah which begs the question why don't some people just stick to giving weather predictions ?:rolleyes:

I think some struggle to see the forest for the trees. Individual stats don't matter much if the player is not clicked into the team game. Say Grundy gets the ball then guys like Shaw know where to run to receive and where and when to expect the next player down the line to be. They know who to go to and when to go to them. They are drilled enough to do it automatically. It's why lowest number of players used has such a close correlation with team performance. Effective disposals as a stat merely says a player hits a target but not necessarily THE target. Players like Shaw and Bird know the game plan intimately and have proven they know how to execute it. As an example, Shaw will risk a turnover to follow a set move rather than take a safe option but one which allows opposition players to cut off our thrust. Why ? Simply because the risk v. reward falls in favour of taking that risk. Compare a team of seasoned smart team players (Swans) to one merely bristling with young talent (GWS).

He took Mitchell last year
Don't know if I was talking to you but besides that not once did I say Shaw was not best 22 or his leadership was not needed in the big games , all I was saying is that Biggs was being smacked by some for turning the ball over a couple of times , as your previous post risk v reward yer.
I don't care if its NEAFL or not but I have seen enough of Biggs to say he can fill a HB role if needed come finals if Shaw was not able to get through his injury and would give us a much run and carry that Shaw does but his leadership is not in the same boat as Shaws.
Shaw will come in no doubt and probably for Biggs but im happy if he gets another go

It was Cross on Hannebery last year , Picken did a defensive HF role on Mitchell and touched him up to.

Word has it that he kept chopping Tommy in the throat all game.
He is a dirty little prick the way he plays & although Harvey annoys the hell out of me, I was happy to see him ruffle Picken's feathers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the flip side, how easy a run do we have in the last few weeks? I don't think we were given the luxury of having secured a Top 2 position 3 rounds before the season ended.

I know right, anyone who suggested it after our loss to Norf (sorry to bring it up again) I probably would have had locked up.

Still playing the Tigers in the last round should be a decent hit-out heading into the finals, we should still win obviously but they have been in reasonable form.

Guys honestly all the talk about resting players it is vastly overblown did we rest anyone in 2005,06 and 2012? Freo rested due to the travel factor of having to play in Melbourne the last round and then the next week travel to Simmonds again.
I don't think it's so much the resting of tired body as more the avoidance of injury that's important. It's one game less of possible injury, and with only 2 games remaining, pretty much any injury now will render you out of 1st finals or possibly all finals action.

I know right, anyone who suggested it after our loss to Norf (sorry to bring it up again) I probably would have had locked up.

Still playing the Tigers in the last round should be a decent hit-out heading into the finals, we should still win obviously but they have been in reasonable form.
I'm going to be in Hong Kong for the Richmond game, already sorted a viewing, and have 50 bucks on it with a mate..who will be stuck at work. If we lose, still winning!

We are top of the ladder....just want to savour that again as it seemed far from sight earlier this year. And deserves special mention.

Now the biggest debate pre-game is To Rest or Not To Rest - that is the question. What a difference from our early season angst.

There's even a very real chance we could end the season as Minor Premiers. Been 18 years!! Time before that? 1945.

Not taking a win as granted. In fact, I'm more than a little wary of the dogs and am having my Punts moment (posters only allowed 2 Puntsdanger games a season:p)

But I'm ruddy thrilled the team I support are playing well and will be playing finals.

On the contrary i dont think the Dogs will be a pushover like the Saints were, keep in mind we could be missing 2 of our best mids as well.

Think it will be closer than what people think.

If you read the Doggies board they say they are out to win the VFL flag this year so they have adopted a policy of not playing anyone in the seniors that is still eligible for VFL finals.

On the contrary i dont think the Dogs will be a pushover like the Saints were, keep in mind we could be missing 2 of our best mids as well.

Think it will be closer than what people think.

*sorry for intrusion alert*

I don't see this match being too close, myself. Our defensive game has been pretty poor the last few weeks, leaking a lot of goals and allowing for free flowing footy from the opposition. Not to mention our issues at KPD; Morris will battle manfully on whoever he takes, but Buddy and Tippet both will likely have big games. I wouldn't be surprised to see Buddy kick 10+...Just about every KPF in the comp has kicked bags against us, and he's probably the best of the lot. The lowest possible margin I can imagine is 40 points.

(Ps, Sydney's been my pick to win the gf for a while now, the list that's been assembled is probably the best in the comp atm in terms of talent/depth)

(Oh yeah, and make sure to beat Richmond, so they can finish ninth. Perfect end to the season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back