East Gippsland Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Kennedy has been reappointed at Lakes Entrance... Few blokes heading in to the Redlegs and will probably play a fair bit - read Fulton and Matthews - will hurt the Seagulls tilt at a flag. However Kennedy may have a coulpe of old Heyfield Premiership mates heading to the East Gippy. Couple of other blokes will be on the cusp at the Redlegs that have been training a fair bit...

What of the Big H at Paynesvillie? Non-playing coach? Word is Tom Williams is heading out there as A/Coach with the Gulls spending a pretty penny on him and giving him a license to spend (relatively short leish however). Assume they are trying to land a couple more Bairnsdale 2010 fringe players... Happy Kelly not impressed!

That's a good point.

You would think the EGFL should have a pretty interesting premiership race next season now that Bairnsdale has left the league.

Who'd be favourites?

Gerard Kennedy has been reappointed at Lakes Entrance... Few blokes heading in to the Redlegs and will probably play a fair bit - read Fulton and Matthews - will hurt the Seagulls tilt at a flag. However Kennedy may have a coulpe of old Heyfield Premiership mates heading to the East Gippy. Couple of other blokes will be on the cusp at the Redlegs that have been training a fair bit...

What of the Big H at Paynesvillie? Non-playing coach? Word is Tom Williams is heading out there as A/Coach with the Gulls spending a pretty penny on him and giving him a license to spend (relatively short leish however). Assume they are trying to land a couple more Bairnsdale 2010 fringe players... Happy Kelly not impressed!

Correct. Andrew Stevens has signed up with Lakes and began training. Won 4 B&F's at Heyfield, so will help Lakes in season 2011 adding experience to the team. A few more are likely to follow Stevens on the way down. It will be very interesting to see just how big an impact Gez can have on convincing potential recruits to sign up. As mentioned chances are they will be losing a lot of their tall timber to the Dales which is where Lakes have always been strong. Take Matthews, Fulton, Nickless and even big Xavier Ryan out of their side and they look a lot less damaging. Add to that Adam Lowcock and Nathan Peglar out of the side it could leave quite a hole. Granted not all of them will want to play for the Redlegs (or not be good enough), but it could have huge ramifications for the club.

Another quiet rumour I have heard is that young Forward Tom Smith from Bairnsdale and Sale has signed up for Paynesville....

Would be a huge sign-up for the Gulls as on his day can kick 8 or 9 goals and demolish opposition back-lines.

Paynesville always talk big pre-season though on all their recruits so read into it what you want, but that would be a great result for them. Money and a leadership spot sealed the deal... apparently.

Another quiet rumour I have heard is that young Forward Tom Smith from Bairnsdale and Sale has signed up for Paynesville....

Would be a huge sign-up for the Gulls as on his day can kick 8 or 9 goals and demolish opposition back-lines.

Paynesville always talk big pre-season though on all their recruits so read into it what you want, but that would be a great result for them. Money and a leadership spot sealed the deal... apparently.

Yep. Pretty sure it's a done deal. I wrote Tom Williams in an earlier post but clearly meant Tom Smith...

Correct. Andrew Stevens has signed up with Lakes and began training. Won 4 B&F's at Heyfield, so will help Lakes in season 2011 adding experience to the team. A few more are likely to follow Stevens on the way down. It will be very interesting to see just how big an impact Gez can have on convincing potential recruits to sign up. As mentioned chances are they will be losing a lot of their tall timber to the Dales which is where Lakes have always been strong. Take Matthews, Fulton, Nickless and even big Xavier Ryan out of their side and they look a lot less damaging. Add to that Adam Lowcock and Nathan Peglar out of the side it could leave quite a hole. Granted not all of them will want to play for the Redlegs (or not be good enough), but it could have huge ramifications for the club.

Andrew Stevens has signed nothing to play football at Lakes Entrance mate.

I hope he doesn't move from Heyfield as he is an absolute champion player and bloke. The Stevens family are an integral part of Heyfield and not have Stevo and his family apart of it is a massive loss to the Town.

IF he plays for Lakes he could have a massive impact. I was talking to him only a week ago and he was unsure because of his injury problems and the fact he does now have a young family.

The rumour I am hearing is that Heyfield premiership players Luc Wilson, Neil Morris and Ben Kelly will be playing sporadically for Lakes, whilst also getting on a bit. I would comfortably say that Ben Kelly would be the best player outside of Brent Cowell in East Gippsland. Coached Spotswood last year and is an absolute gun.

Good luck to Gez and Lakes this year, I hope he gets the success he wants as a coach.

I hope he doesn't move from Heyfield as he is an absolute champion player and bloke. The Stevens family are an integral part of Heyfield and not have Stevo and his family apart of it is a massive loss to the Town.

IF he plays for Lakes he could have a massive impact. I was talking to him only a week ago and he was unsure because of his injury problems and the fact he does now have a young family.

The rumour I am hearing is that Heyfield premiership players Luc Wilson, Neil Morris and Ben Kelly will be playing sporadically for Lakes, whilst also getting on a bit. I would comfortably say that Ben Kelly would be the best player outside of Brent Cowell in East Gippsland. Coached Spotswood last year and is an absolute gun.

Good luck to Gez and Lakes this year, I hope he gets the success he wants as a coach.

Luc Wilson and Neil Morris have bothe been very good players for Heyfield over the journey. They could probably still hold their own at East Gippy level (maybe even Nth Gippy in some sides), although, as you say Nugget, they are getting on a bit now. Ben Kelly absolute star and the games he does play with Lakes will be worth going to watch.

Andrew Stevens moving to Lakes for work??? To be in Lakes prior to Christmas??? You're right. The Stevens family has been synonymous with Heyfield over many years, but maybe he is looking to help Gez get over the line and coach a flag?

He would rival X Ryan as the best big man in the comp. Probably even have him covered.

Just going on what I have been told 2 days ago by President Reggardo. Straight from the horses mouth.

Also just read about it in the local Lakes Entrance Newspaper saying it is a confirmed signing. Don't know Stevens personally, just going on what I have been told and am reading.

my preseason prediction is lakes will win granny by over 10 goals if stevo is to play absolute gun and depending on how many games he plays will go close to league b n f.

my preseason prediction is lakes will win granny by over 10 goals if stevo is to play absolute gun and depending on how many games he plays will go close to league b n f.

The premiership will be blown open wide with the Bairnsdale side moving on. Depends on which clubs lose the most high quality players...

Will be very interesting to see.

Hasn't been any East Gippy news on here for a while...

Anyone got anything to add? Any signings? Only one of significance seems to be Andy Stevens to Lakes. Surely there are some others.

Most movement seems to be blokes heading in to try their luck in the Gippsland League with the Redlegs.

There is sure to be a fall out from there once the 'squad' is put together.

Blokes will know where they sit in the pecking order even if they are not told and may look elsewhere with the prospect of earning a few bob.

Hasn't been any East Gippy news on here for a while...

Anyone got anything to add? Any signings? Only one of significance seems to be Andy Stevens to Lakes. Surely there are some others.

Most movement seems to be blokes heading in to try their luck in the Gippsland League with the Redlegs.

There is sure to be a fall out from there once the 'squad' is put together.

Blokes will know where they sit in the pecking order even if they are not told and may look elsewhere with the prospect of earning a few bob.

Yeah you're pretty much spot on here. Most of the big news has already been mentioned like Moose and Jason Marks moving up to Corowa and Stevens to Lakes. There will not be many major recruiting by EGFL clubs until the Bairnsdale squad has been finalised and announced. Any player that is of reasonable quality are unlikely to be signing up with a Paynesville or Wy Yung if they have a chance at playing in a major league.

Sure there has been some minor signings that doesn't mean to much to the league, like the 2 young Haslam Boys moving to Bruthen in the ODFL from Bairnsdale, but its hardly anything major just yet that is worthy of getting excited about just yet.

Will be all quiet for another few weeks till the real player movings begin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day lads, Just curious on what level this leauge is at. Maybe moving to the lakes entrance area in the next 6 weeks with my wife and kids and will be looking at having a kick, while the bride will be keen on playing netball. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and comparisons to other country leauges would be good.

Cheers

G'day lads, Just curious on what level this leauge is at. Maybe moving to the lakes entrance area in the next 6 weeks with my wife and kids and will be looking at having a kick, while the bride will be keen on playing netball. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and comparisons to other country leauges would be good.

Cheers

It is hard to gauge as to what the standard is like because there is no comparison as we probably don't know what league or level of football you come from.

But...East Gippsland is a minor league and now with the inclusion of Bairnsdale (rep side) into our major league (Gippsland League) here, the standard may drop but the perception is the league will be more even then before.

Alot of my mates that I played with at Heyfield play at Lakes Entrance and they are quality players but more importantly good blokes. Gerard Kennedy is their coach this year, he also played at Heyfield. All my mates that play there have young families etc so should suit you well.

PM me your details if you would like Gerard's number and I can arrange for him to give you a call.

Cheers

As a general rule and with Bairnsdale no longer in the league, East Gippy would be about O&K two's standard mate.

It is hard to gauge as to what the standard is like because there is no comparison as we probably don't know what league or level of football you come from.

But...East Gippsland is a minor league and now with the inclusion of Bairnsdale (rep side) into our major league (Gippsland League) here, the standard may drop but the perception is the league will be more even then before.

Alot of my mates that I played with at Heyfield play at Lakes Entrance and they are quality players but more importantly good blokes. Gerard Kennedy is their coach this year, he also played at Heyfield. All my mates that play there have young families etc so should suit you well.

PM me your details if you would like Gerard's number and I can arrange for him to give you a call.

Cheers pal, Have played a handful of senior games in the ovens and king but majority in the magoos. Looking to cement myself into a senior position as my last 2 years, i believe have been quite strong, and my best footy yet to come out, but if not able to get a game in the ones, then so be it. Just want to be able to put a positive contribution to whichever side i play in. Will keep this post in mind if this job comes about and will let you know.

Bourky, do you get about all the different leauges? You obviously knew i played 2's?

Bourky, do you get about all the different leauges? You obviously knew i played 2's?

epic guess is epic. :D:thumbsu:

haha i saw you were from wang so took a stab.

if you were playing O&K you'll have no worries in the East Gippy mate.

play for Lakes :thumbsu:

Cheers pal, Have played a handful of senior games in the ovens and king but majority in the magoos. Looking to cement myself into a senior position as my last 2 years, i believe have been quite strong, and my best footy yet to come out, but if not able to get a game in the ones, then so be it. Just want to be able to put a positive contribution to whichever side i play in. Will keep this post in mind if this job comes about and will let you know.

If you're looking for personal glorification, head to the Omeo league. I'm sure Bruthen or Swan Reach would love to have your services. It is probably the equivalent of the half time EGFL Auskick games at Lakes Entrance on a Saturday Afternoon, just with snipers on every line ;)

If you're looking for personal glorification, head to the Omeo league. I'm sure Bruthen or Swan Reach would love to have your services. It is probably the equivalent of the half time EGFL Auskick games at Lakes Entrance on a Saturday Afternoon, just with snipers on every line ;)

Clearly not the case here bomber, as my post stated, was hoping for a senior spot, but if wasnt able to crack through then so be it, just want to put a positive contribution into whichever side i play in. But im assuming the omeo league is of a lesser standard than egfl?

Yeah it is a 16 a side comp, it would be one of if not the worst standards of football in Victoria.

More of an organised social game in the high country....

Yeah it is a 16 a side comp, it would be one of if not the worst standards of football in Victoria.

More of an organised social game in the high country....

Not sure I'd agree with that. I played a few games in the ODFL last season, and I would think it is probably just below VFL standard. Some of the guys playing in that league were AFL standard players, just without the training discipline.

Clearly not the case here bomber, as my post stated, was hoping for a senior spot, but if wasnt able to crack through then so be it, just want to put a positive contribution into whichever side i play in. But im assuming the omeo league is of a lesser standard than egfl?

Yeah I knew you weren't looking for that, just that is the local reputation of the league..

I'm sure if you were playing half decent footy in the magoos over there then you would be a near certainty to be playing seniors in the EGFL, taking into account you train reguarly etc.

Not sure I'd agree with that. I played a few games in the ODFL last season, and I would think it is probably just below VFL standard. Some of the guys playing in that league were AFL standard players, just without the training discipline.

Like you mayhem!

To be fair it is one of the most remote leagues in the state. I mean matches are playing in Benambra...

I remember seeing a photo of Noel Jansz playing in the snow in a game at benambra and the umpires decided the first team to score won, from memory the first score was kicked deep into the second quarter.

I know it is remote, not knocking the league or the players that play in it. As long as the players enjoy it nothing else matters. The poster asked a question so I answered it honestly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back