B: Cheney Gibson Stratton
HB: Suckling Hodge Birchall
C: Hill Mitchell Smith
HF: Simpkin Gunston Rioli
F: Breust Roughead Puopolo
FOLL: Hale Lewis Burgoyne
I/C from: Hallahan Duryea Langford McEvoy Ceglar Lake Anderson

In: B.Lake , B.McEvoy , B.Stratton , M.Hallahan , J.Anderson
Out: M.Spangher (Ankle) , L.Shiels (Shoulder)
-
(c/w poetic licence) Cheney is first picked!

Surely Ceglar goes out as you can't play 3 ruckmen with the cap on interchanges. Lake and Jed probably still a week away so Hallahan looks likely which I'm surprised about. Happy for the lad though if it happens that way.

Mackie will definitely drop out, which along with losing Caddy are huge blows for them. However this game will not be won on paper and we will have to bring out best to win.
What happened to Caddy?

Anderson is an odd inclusion. He's had less match conditioning than Lake, who was supposedly borderline.

Be interesting to see who lines up for Box Hill on Saturday evening.

Hallahan is a 50/50 chance to play . . . Assuming we don't play 3 rucks, only one of Ceglar and McEvoy will play, and also Jed Anderson is unlikely to return from his shoulder injury. That leaves 1 more player to be dropped from the squad.

Hopefully the interpretation of HTB from the Lions v Richmond game carries over to our game. Geelong are the masters of getting away with incorrect disposal and it shits me every time we play them how often they dispose of the ball incorrectly, it spills out and they get a clean break.

Hopefully the interpretation of HTB from the Lions v Richmond game carries over to our game. Geelong are the masters of getting away with incorrect disposal and it shits me every time we play them how often they dispose of the ball incorrectly, it spills out and they get a clean break.

Interestingly other supporters think the hawks players are the king of the throw

Interestingly other supporters think the hawks players are the king of the throw

We are too busy tapping the ball on to advantage to have it long enough to throw. Gibbo did get away with one last week but I don't remember too many others this year. No one compares to the Cats for throws.

Last edited:
We are too busy tapping the ball on to advantage to have it long enough to throw. Gibbo did get away with one last week but I don't remember too many others this year. No one compare to the Cats for throws.

I think Sydney are worse with their rugby passes

Taking off the glasses for the moment, I don't think we can afford to be too critical about this. Yes, Geelong get away with MANY disposals which in the strictest of definitions would be termed a throw; but so do we. I would prefer to focus on the ways that Hawthorn can (and will) beat them rather than one-eyed interpretations of umpire calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking off the glasses for the moment, I don't think we can afford to be too critical about this. Yes, Geelong get away with MANY disposals which in the strictest of definitions would be termed a throw; but so do we. I would prefer to focus on the ways that Hawthorn can (and will) beat them rather than one-eyed interpretations of umpire calls.

No doubt we get away with some. I wasn't suggesting it will influence the outcome of the game. It's more frustrating for the look of the game and also for the fact that good tackles aren't rewarded. There is such a focus on defensive pressure now, and we are probably the best at it, so the interpretation of HTB/incorrect disposal needs to be correct so that players who can't execute the skill of hand balling correctly are penalised.

No doubt we get away with some. I wasn't suggesting it will influence the outcome of the game. It's more frustrating for the look of the game and also for the fact that good tackles aren't rewarded. There is such a focus on defensive pressure now, and we are probably the best at it, so the interpretation of HTB/incorrect disposal needs to be correct and consistent.
It's not so much the 'one-handed handball' that I have an issue with. It's more the player caught bang to rights with the ball trying to play on WITH prior opportunity and the umpire rules "ball spilled free in the tackle"! Or as we saw recently, "he did drop it, but he was TRYING to kick it".

The worst of all time, however, must remain the Rioli tackle in the dying seconds of round 19, 2012; caught the Geelong player directly in front of goal; "Play on - he didn't see him coming".

It's not so much the 'one-handed handball' that I have an issue with. It's more the player caught bang to rights with the ball trying to play on WITH prior opportunity and the umpire rules "ball spilled free in the tackle"! Or as we saw recently, "he did drop it, but he was TRYING to kick it".

The worst of all time, however, must remain the Rioli tackle in the dying seconds of round 19, 2012; caught the Geelong player directly in front of goal; "Play on - he didn't see him coming".

Yes that was the one of the worst decisions of all time.

Agree about the "It spilled out," when someone has had prior opportunity. That must be a free kick every time.

The irony is that if they started paying more HTB the game would probably flow more as players would be more reluctant to hold onto the ball and would instead try to dispose of the ball quicker.

Agree about the "It spilled out," when someone has had prior opportunity. That must be a free kick every time.

No one in the media has EVER taken them too task on this one...someone takes on the tackler, gets tackled.."Play on! It spilled free!"

There is no 'spilled free' rule. If you've had prior opportunity, and it's not handballed or kicked, it's incorrect disposal. End of story.

Why is more not made of this obvious inconsistency in the rules?

It got posted:
Hi Gerard,

I was wondering if your playing record against Hawthorn (3 wins 15 losses) impacts the way that you tend to not give them much credit over the last few years?
  • Discussions1
  • Likes0

• 43cc9277-a5f4-4eda-8212-95f3159f170c.jpg

Gerard Healy
    You've done a lot more research on it than I have. I'm not sure how much credit someone can give them. I tipped them to win in 2008 (one of few people to do so!)
HAHA Love it!

Interpretation, yeah I'm scarred, pretending I'd forgotten how many times I'd been flogged by the Hawks. It's not fair they keep on winning, I'll flog them in the media instead.

There is no 'spilled free' rule. If you've had prior opportunity, and it's not handballed or kicked, it's incorrect disposal. End of story.

Why is more not made of this obvious inconsistency in the rules?

Yes, and yes. The reason it hasn't been in the media is because it benefits the golden boys Geelong. If it benefitted us they would be on it like a seagull on a chip.

In those hotly contested and congested scenarios where players are getting tackled almost instantly upon receiving or picking up the ball I can see the benefits (flow of the game, less stoppages) of allowing a lot more leniency in what is and isn't considered incorrect disposal.

Things like a run down tackle or any situation where the player elects to try and break a tackle rather than attempt to dispose of the ball should be rewarded with a free kick to the tackler.

Is Geelong's new superstar tagger the same bloke who went down like a bag of spuds in the PF when Roughie applied a block? And then had a teary tantrum all the way to the bench? I'm guessing that we might have some ideas about how to break any tag he applies. I think it's expected Mitchell might be subject to a tag, and why wouldn't he given his record against them, but I fear Hallahan has been selected as cover should Mitchell not play so the tag may end up elsewhere.

Geelong seem to rely on run out of the backlink but with the expected loss of Mackie and the potency of our forwards I expect (hope) they'll be down in that area. Surely with Motlop and Christensen out we'll have the edge in outside run. If Lake doesn't play we seem a bit small (again) down back but that may work to our advantage if they overuse Hawkins. Even better if they try to stretch our defence as the ball comes to ground far more often that it's marked and we'd have the advantage on the ground.

I'm usually fairly confident going into these games (as it's turned out that confidence has been misplaced!) and in a lot of them I think we've lost them as much as Geelong have won them. This time I feel we might win by four or so goals as we should have smacked them in the prelim and the final margin, even with the bad kicking, should have been 11 points not 5.

I'm still undecided whether to go or not as I really resent being forced to pay extra for a "free" game but I'll spew if I miss a win. I've travelled back home on the Geelong train and suffered for it too many times (I got a lift home from the PF) and the trip back from a win would be very sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back