Eastern FL - Division 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Keen on looker wondering who the best backs are for the comp?

If you get a chance to w
Anyone see Montrose challenging the big 3?
They were outstanding last year Bob. Finished home and away with a 13-5 record. Probably helped a bit by the weighted draw but their finals spot was well deserved. They have picked up Gary Conyers and Troy Wright who can play but I suspect they are still off the pace in relation to the big 3. They are building though so could well find themselves in the big 3 in the next year or 2.

Keen on looker wondering who the best backs are for the comp?
Joel Perry who is playing at Vermont this year is a seriously good player. Was vice captain of the Interleague side last year and made the squad this year but not sure if he played a few weeks ago. Very rarely gets beat one on one

That's them. The only ones plus Norwood to have players in the Vic Metro Squad to play against AFL Queensland.

Leigh Williams, Rhett Jordan, Matthew Aver - Norwood

Joel Perry - Vermont

Luke Barker - Balwyn

Ziggy Alwan, Shayne Allan - Noble Park

Last edited:
Vermont with the massive player turnover is a surprise performer knocking over Norwood on the weekend.
Absolutley, they have put a good young side together. Will be a big test this weekend against a big bodied tough Balwyn side.
I am guessing avg age Balwyn of 26+ and Vetmont under 23.
If it rains i think the older blokes will win.

The Noble v Norwood match will also be a good one. Nth Ringwood also showing some good form and will be favoured by the draw.

The Noble v Norwood match will also be a good one. Nth Ringwood also showing some good form and will be favoured by the draw.

Really surprised but happy with how well North Ringwood are going with virtually the same team as they had in 2014. With them & Montrose in 2014, there is hope for sides that do make the climb from 2nd Division, obviously a preferential draw does assist. Will be interesting to see how they fare against the Big 4.

Jason Blake is a pretty handy pick up for NTH. saw them a few times last year and not surprised they are going well in first division. They are quick and use the ball well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Hill would have been a significant loss.
I hope they don't have many injuries as there depth has dropped off over the last couple of years, from what it had previously been. Good club who I hope does well.

Hey Bobby,
What did you think off Tom Hill. His now at Greenvale. I understand he did kick a few goals at Nth Ringwood but it was div2 I believe and the next year had injury concerns. Was on the Bulldogs list but didn't play an afl game.

Cheers

Turbo, Hill was very important for their 'structure' just such a big bloke that always attracted the best defender. Did have games where he did kicked some bags but to be honest didn't dominate the league to the extent he may have in 2nd Division.

All that said would gladly have him at my club, he does make a contest, certainly gives a side something to kick too & does bring others into the game. Should be a good pick-up for Greenvale.

Its always difficult to win at Terrara Rd. Vermont got a 4 goal jump on Balwyn before Balwyn got going.
But i think you are correct, Vermonts youth were excellent and a couple of Balwyns older guys had bad games.
Still rank Balwyn a 5 or 6 goal better side though.
Balwyn also had depth (for the first time in years ) with the reserves winning on the weekend.

Balwyn v Noble Park this week. I think most people would be leaning towards Balwyn, but playing down at Noble Park, bit of a change of scenery for the boys from Balwyn (though I realise none of the players reside there).

Balwyn coming off a tougher game, but both haven't had a slip since Round 3 when Noble lost at Norwood and Balwyn drew at Vermont.

I'm going to go with Noble Park at home.

(Just realised the match isn't until the 6th!)

East Ringwood fielded a senior side a couple of weeks ago consisting of 8 players from last years colts team and another that was playing under 17's last year. I'm sure Park Orchards had a young side starting out a few years ago but has anyone seen such a young Division 1 team before

Watched them play Blackburn a few weeks back Dave - was pretty impressed with the overall game actually as I don't see many. Tiny ovals though. ER had their big ruckman on 1 leg propped up in the goal square which didn't help but they had a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back