Eastern FL - Division 2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Vanderhum

Senior List
Mar 16, 2011
Ivanhoe
AFL Club
Melbourne
Croydon are going to take some catching.

Wantirna Sth going down to Mulgrave was more of a surprise than the blowouts.

The bottom 4 play each other over the next two weeks which will have a huge say in who goes down to 3rd division next year. Looks like it will be one of the ex-Div 1 teams in Rams or Scoresby who play each other in two weeks' time

Vanderhum

Senior List
Mar 16, 2011
Ivanhoe
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rams only managed a few goals in 120 minutes of footy while The Sharks banged on nearly 200 points. Rams have been rolled by over 100 points in at least 3 games so far. Gunna be a long year.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Rams only managed a few goals in 120 minutes of footy while The Sharks banged on nearly 200 points. Rams have been rolled by over 100 points in at least 3 games so far. Gunna be a long year.
You need new glasses, the only game they've lost by 100 points was against Doncaster. Not going well for sure, but not as bad as you're making out. But definitely a long year ahead.:(

Vanderhum

Senior List
Mar 16, 2011
Ivanhoe
AFL Club
Melbourne
You need new glasses, the only game they've lost by 100 points was against Doncaster. Not going well for sure, but not as bad as you're making out. But definitely a long year ahead.:(

Let's be honest, this year is blown and now the focus has to be on 2016 in div 3

Last edited:

eflreceiver

All Australian
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's be honest, this year is blown and now the focus has to be on 2016 in div 3
Division 3 will see the end of the Rams as a club in the EFL in my view. They recruited to be competitive this year and have failed to do that for whatever reason. They are losing long time supporters as well as their volunteers as unfortunately they are dying off or becoming ill and the selfishness of the next Generation coming through from the Juniors means nobody is filling that gap as it's the "what's in it for me generation". Throw in the demographics in the area means juniors are becoming hard to find. My view is they should start a soccer club on the second oval. All this can be turned around if they win and keep winning. At the moment they have no idea how to win.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Division 3 will see the end of the Rams as a club in the EFL in my view. They recruited to be competitive this year and have failed to do that for whatever reason. They are losing long time supporters as well as their volunteers as unfortunately they are dying off or becoming ill and the selfishness of the next Generation coming through from the Juniors means nobody is filling that gap as it's the "what's in it for me generation". Throw in the demographics in the area means juniors are becoming hard to find. My view is they should start a soccer club on the second oval. All this can be turned around if they win and keep winning. At the moment they have no idea how to win.

Pretty ordinary football club in the 1st place if they can only sustain a model that relies on staying in div 1 or 2.

eflreceiver

All Australian
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty ordinary football club in the 1st place if they can only sustain a model that relies on staying in div 1 or 2.
They are like Carlton, proud club who once had everything who sat back looking at past glories and had no foresight whilst their rival Vermont did and the rest is history.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
There is a bit of a dearth of support from people in the 35-45 bracket at EB, most of the guys from their most successful era have moved on or were only there for a couple of years. But I'd see a lot of the guys in their early 30's now being the new core of volunteers to take the club forward.

They'll continue to be a club, no matter what division, but without the big back room support, they're not going to be competitive in the top divisions.

Go back to div 3, get some more wins and rebuild the club off and on the field. It's no different to Mitcham who did the same thing only a few years ago.

eflreceiver

All Australian
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can you introduce me to these guys in their early 30's that are volunteers at EB? I will get them to the President who has an abundance of jobs to fill. My feet are firmly on the ground and I can tell you that the core group of volunteers are the same group of people who have done all the work for the past 12 years and more (minus those who have passed away or have had to pull out due to ill health) which are all 50+. This year was the rebuild year.

Dirk_Diggler

Rookie
Jan 2, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely staggered to be told today, by the East Burwood President, that they are paying their players double what Mulgrave are this year. DOUBLE!!!!

Who the hell are they paying?

Vanderhum

Senior List
Mar 16, 2011
Ivanhoe
AFL Club
Melbourne
Absolutely staggered to be told today, by the East Burwood President, that they are paying their players double what Mulgrave are this year. DOUBLE!!!!

another disaster yesterday against a side who The Rams should have been competitive. Not sure who is getting what but the President of the club should not be gossiping about what they are paying. My concern is not solely about the players, whilst there is a skill gap with the likes of Croydon etc, the issue as I see it is the centre set ups, they are getting smashed in the clearances yet nothing changes. Why the coach is persisting with a set up that has one of the mid field 5 metres on the defensive side is just plain dumb. By the time he gets to the contest it's all over. Rams have some talent but they ain't shown anything like they are capable of and what is looking like a pretty unimaginative game plan, it won't get any better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eflreceiver

All Australian
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rams set for 3rd Division, they will not beat Scoresby this week and Scoresby are stoked that they are playing the Rams I have been told.

Stevie Gee

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

Reckon these sort of statements always end up being horseshit.

For a start he wouldn't know what Mulgrave are paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The Mulgrave Pres would have lied and the EB pres would have lied.

Part of the problem for EB is how much a house costs in the area. Hard for volunteers to live nearby and be under 40 when nobody under 40 can afford to buy a house in the area.

Vanderhum

Senior List
Mar 16, 2011
Ivanhoe
AFL Club
Melbourne

Part of the problem for EB is how much a house costs in the area. Hard for volunteers to live nearby and be under 40 when nobody under 40 can afford to buy a house in the area.

It's still a bit grubby but that sort of off field chat is what evolves from the ordinary effort from the boys so far. Not being competitive and no signs of any change is not good. I heard Mark Maclure on the radio talking about the most important person in the footy club. Not the captain, not the coach, not the recruiter or the list manager, not the president, not the sponsors, not even the gun mid fielder. It's the bloke with the footy. EB have to start getting their hands on the Sherrin and then kick it to the advantage of a bloke wearing the same Color jumper. Their skill errors on both foot and hand are woeful and it comes back to some long nights on the track if they are going to improve

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

How does Balwyn cope with that logic? Or Doncaster or Vermont?? Or bloody East Doncaster!!

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Vermont is comparable, the others have been expensive areas for 20 years. Vermont and EB were working class areas when most people bought there, and now the houses are up near the millions meaning the kids have to move further out, depriving the place of volunteers.

How many of those clubs actually have volunteers between the ages of 35 and 50? That's where inner city clubs are struggling, particularly in EB/Vermont where 10%+ of the areas are now foreign owned.

Stevie Gee

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Only natural that strength of the game moves with the population. South East is is the major growth corridor and has been for a while. Clubs such as Narre Warren, Pakenham and Berwick will be massive for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
How does Balwyn cope with that logic? Or Doncaster or Vermont?? Or bloody East Doncaster!!

Funny thing is we have the strongest committee in the clubs history, record sponsorship levels, many volunteer helpers, & are off-field stronger than we have ever been. This is down to sheer hard work.

My biggest concern is that although we work really hard each year for 19s & get them we have a limited flow on effect to the transition to good senior players. This is not through a lack of planning/effort. The potential points/salary caps will have an adverse effect on us compared to those in the more demographically advantaged area. I just hope if these rules do come in, that there is some allowance considered for the 'inner' EFL clubs given these circumstances. Have serious doubts about this though.

Vanderhum

Senior List
Mar 16, 2011
Ivanhoe
AFL Club
Melbourne
Funny thing is we have the strongest committee in the clubs history, record sponsorship levels, many volunteer helpers, & are off-field stronger than we have ever been. This is down to sheer hard work.

My biggest concern is that although we work really hard each year for 19s & get them we have a limited flow on effect to the transition to good senior players. This is not through a lack of planning/effort. The potential points/salary caps will have an adverse effect on us compared to those in the more demographically advantaged area. I just hope if these rules do come in, that there is some allowance considered for the 'inner' EFL clubs given these circumstances. Have serious doubts about this though.

The sponsors are terrific which is testimony to the hard working committee and all of the volunteers which is what all clubs need. But they can't go and get the Sherrin. Hey don't think for moment I am dissing the job these back room folk are doing but on field performance all comes back to the players and the coaches. They have some talent but their confidence is being smashed. Need to get back to basics. Stable set ups, consistent game plan and practice kicking under pressure to the same coloured jumper.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Told you they weren't the worse Cliff - well done.

& while I am at it shock horror our despised neighbours struggled against good opposition - hopefully someone from EFL media saw it. 'Main threat' to the Blues - gives us a spell, flat track bullies more like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back