Eastern FL - Division 2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Good get Bob, he's been one of their better players over the last couple of years.

Hey guys, I'm not sure his been one of Footscray's better players but will go well in local footy. Bit surprised he didn't go back to Spotswood where his family is connected to. Must have been a good offer Bob!! But his a great pick up and should be one of the better midfielders in the comp.

Hey guys, I'm not sure his been one of Footscray's better players but will go well in local footy. Bit surprised he didn't go back to Spotswood where his family is connected to. Must have been a good offer Bob!! But his a great pick up and should be one of the better midfielders in the comp.
We should be feeling very privileged to have the great man from the EDFL reading posts on the EFL

Why did I say "mercenaries" at all? Well the fact is player movement off season, en masse, continues and is escalating. In 2014, heaps of kids jumped ship from Donvale when it appeared money was tough to raise and the dominos started falling. They simply follow the lead of all these other players - pick the club that gives me the best deal and pull in that jumper. FYI - Doncaster told Donvale it wouldn't approach any of the 30-odd who held firm until March. Magically 4 boys ended up at training and signed on. Two remained for this year and two moved on. Donvale was gutted and now sits as a shell of its former self propping up the Div 4 ladder. Raw nerves all round if you ask me - and yes, I did coach those remaining 20-odd kids who stayed at Donvale in 2014, and am glad they have at least been able to take the field for Donvale in the EFL once again in 2015.

Let's face it, if/when it comes in to play at local level, clubs will have to focus more on junior development and retention in order to be successful won't they?

As it should be...

Just an update Scribe - one of the two remaining has just made the Collingwood VFL squad which is a fantastic effort. Ironically when I discussed this with a high ranking Donvale official this week he was surprised. One thing that has been missed is that these guys have improved their football more than possible if they had of remained at Donvale in the lower divisions struggling to win games.

It was only once we got wind that some young guys were not keen to play at a low local level that they were approached & those that needed to know at Donvale what was happening were kept informed. Not sure why our club should have sat on their hands once it was obvious some were leaving, due to having a long lasting strong relationship with Donvale. To be fair I am unsure as to whether you were ever provided such insight at the time.

Donvale have taken double figures from our 2015 list this season, with that said we still have an outstanding relationship with those there & have had for decades. In fact in the year that you coached many Donvale powerbrokers spent numerous Saturdays up at our home games.

Point I am trying to make is that sometimes guys do need to move on to improve their own game. This has happened to us for years, 'swings & roundabouts'. Playing with seasoned players does provide some fringe benefits that you may have glossed over and opportunities have presented that would have been not available if these players didn't have the courage to take on a higher grade.

Good luck to yourself for the 2016 season.

Just an update Scribe - one of the two remaining has just made the Collingwood VFL squad which is a fantastic effort. Ironically when I discussed this with a high ranking Donvale official this week he was surprised. One thing that has been missed is that these guys have improved their football more than possible if they had of remained at Donvale in the lower divisions struggling to win games.

It was only once we got wind that some young guys were not keen to play at a low local level that they were approached & those that needed to know at Donvale what was happening were kept informed. Not sure why our club should have sat on their hands once it was obvious some were leaving, due to having a long lasting strong relationship with Donvale. To be fair I am unsure as to whether you were ever provided such insight at the time.

Donvale have taken double figures from our 2015 list this season, with that said we still have an outstanding relationship with those there & have had for decades. In fact in the year that you coached many Donvale powerbrokers spent numerous Saturdays up at our home games.

Point I am trying to make is that sometimes guys do need to move on to improve their own game. This has happened to us for years, 'swings & roundabouts'. Playing with seasoned players does provide some fringe benefits that you may have glossed over and opportunities have presented that would have been not available if these players didn't have the courage to take on a higher grade.

Good luck to yourself for the 2016 season.

Bobby I'm nominating you for a spot on the new metro footy council. Hoping you can review and make the necessary changes to the points system. Your to knowledgeable for big footy!!
Love your work.

Regards,
Turbo "the great man from the EDFL"

PS: Hey Dave like your kind words champ!

Hahaha..,

Only knowledgeable on the points system due to necessity Turbs.

I can concur with what Deer Park are doing, but the real incentive is to do it at around the age of 14/15 years old. As you picked up 18/19 is too late, unless they will play 5 senior games to get the clock ticking on the point reduction scene. Time spent in the 18/19s is of no benefit solely on a point scenario. This is the greatest flaw in the system, yet reading the document this was the AFL Vic designed outcome which I find ridiculous.

Marcus Carroll is coming back to the Rams, with Henshaw already back we should perform a lot better this season. Good to have some leadership skills return to the club.

What's happened there Dave? They have won a couple haven't they?
They are 2 and 2. Not real sure of the reasoning but from what I hear the coach and a playing assistant have been told their services are no longer required

They are 2 and 2. Not real sure of the reasoning but from what I hear the coach and a playing assistant have been told their services are no longer required
With a young and mostly local side, i thought Millane was doing well. After 18 months to be gone after 4 rounds is very strange. Playing assistant quit. Mccombe may be a firebrand but with his height and skills its a massive hole. Neagle interim coach

What sort of a flog sneaks into an opponents ground to avoid paying and then refuses to pay or leave after being confronted. No 21, perhaps you could talk to your father or father in law and let him know why spectators are expected to pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree cliff. What I hate is supporters of teams that have grounds that are fully fenced think its great that they can sneak in to away teams grounds that have no fencing without paying . especially the clubs that have got plenty to spend

Not taking the piss here you must be gutted about relegation or do you think going down will help EB

I agree cliff. What I hate is supporters of teams that have grounds that are fully fenced think its great that they can sneak in to away teams grounds that have no fencing without paying . especially the clubs that have got plenty to spend

Not taking the piss here you must be gutted about relegation or do you think going down will help EB

East Burwood are in a whole lot of s**t. The superstar twins from Balwyn haven't made an impact lol.

So who is anyone's Tip for the flag in div 2 and who will come up into the division?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well Richie, if you take everything into account we should have gone down last year, so it hasn't been a big surprise. We have cleared all our debt and have a very healthy bank balance that will get bigger after the finals. We won't be spending anymore than we did this year. We have a very young list that will only get better with experience. We expect to be competitve next year. As for getting back in Div 1, maybe or maybe never, I'm not sure any club without pokies or a loaded benefactor can sustain the spending needed nowadays. Come to think of it only pokies, if your benefactor goes south for whatever reason then usually a club struggles for quite a while.
Anyway I will be getting to see some grounds I have never visited before, so that is something to look forward to (and I will be paying).
As for Div 2 flag. Bayswater. Mooralbark haven't impressed against us in either of their games, but Bayswater sure has. Yes SB Upper look a class above everyone else in Div 3.
Big Congratulations to the Rams U15A side for winning the flag yesterday. Well done to everyone associated with the team.

Last edited:
Been down the relegation path a few times in the past Cliff, and it is not the worse thing to happen to a club especially the club has stabilised financially. A club like Mitcham have shown how with strong off-field leadership and persistence things will turn for the better.

I would expect Knox to be extremely competitive in 2nd Division for 2017, if they can maintain their current list.

Don't come over to these parts much but I was wondering if any Mooroolbark followers, if any come on here and if so could they upload the names for their team of the past 50 years that was recently announced.
I hear that Chris Beamish was left out, what a massive f..kup, really the guy was B&F at 18 years old the year they won their 1st premiership, was part of the 1st Mooroolbark team to play 1st div, was in demand from just about every 1st Div club when Mooroolbark were relegated back to 2nd Div. Just about 1st picked on Thursday nights on the halfback flank and probably wasn't beaten more than once a season.
Anyone know also if loose man in defense for ten years running / never got a kick until the last quarter Brumby got a spot, my money says he did.

Thanks for that S/bob, as I suspected at least half a dozen players got a gig more so for what they have done off the field rather than on the it. Might want to ask Autumn leaves Taylor who was stiff to miss, just shows what clubs are like when it comes to an in crowd.

Went to Tormore today to watch our U/19s

Ground Entry $13 (Noticed league packaged a record into the price for finals unlike the normal season where clubs are stuck with them unsold)
Small Latte $4
Parking Ticket for Tormore Road $155

My own fault I guess for not noticing the small signs (No standing 7am - 6pm Sat and Sun)

They nabbed at least 20 or 30 others all parked out the front, ticket was time stamped at 11.50 am

I left at 12.00 straight after the 19s

What went wrong SB? Can Mooroolbark get back to their early season form or are injuries the issue? Looking at the results of the last month they appear to have struggled.

Bayswater do appear to be the in form team though over the last month.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back