Health Ebola 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Suspected case being treated in isolation in Brisbane, just announced
53702156.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-27/18yo-woman-tests-negative-for-ebola-virus-in-brisbane/5842822

Haven't really been following this, is Ebola terminal?

Its mortality rate is a little 'up in there' so to speak

Previous Ebola outbreaks have had a much higher mortality rate, while this one seems to be around 70% death rate

Though its now thought majority of the deaths are preventable with propper hydration and care, something that they dont get Africa

So the potential mortality rate in a western country if an outbreak occured is expected to be much lower than it currently is because we can take better care of ourselves when sick.

But there is also a fear that the disease can spread faster/easier in dry/cooler western countries such as North America as well

We are going to see a lot more incidents like Brisbane, and there is nothing really wrong with that. But there is a difference between 'suspected' Ebola and 'could conceivably be' Ebola.

If a person comes from an affected area and has symptoms which could be Ebola (or any number of common illnesses) it's right that the airports and hospitals treat it as a potential worst case scenario until the all clear is given. Failure to do that is how you get * ups like what happened in Dallas.

The problem is that every of those 'better safe than sorry' treatment decisions gets reported as 'suspected EBOLA case!!!'

The media does just need to calm down and pace themselves, this is going to be with us for a very long time, and there will be a lot of instances where it's the right thing to treat it as a potential case even if the probability of it being Ebola is very low.

Geez the yanks lap up this s**t.

There's been these really creepy adds running on American internet radio for at least 6 months. The most brutal add campaign I can remember was the grim reaper response to the Aids epidemic. These current adds are the closest I've seen to that, are about being prepared for a natural disaster or extreme emergency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ebola is so 2014. I have Sars and before that I had Bird Flu. Girls are all over me
Spouse you got a red under the bed to?

One thing that always confused me about that. We were taught to duck and cover, no one stopped to think the reds were under the bed because of our attacks.

Birds love media-hyped diseases that don't kill us all. They also love the little masks too, so hot, really brings out the Heath Ledger eyes

So, what's going on with Ebola now? Haven't heard much lately.

Burial workers in the Sierra Leonean city of Kenema have dumped bodies in public in protest at non-payment of allowances for handling Ebola victims.

The workers, who went on strike over the issue, left 15 bodies abandoned at the city's main hospital.

One of the bodies was reportedly left by the hospital manager's office and two others by the hospital entrance.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30191938

Remove this Banner Ad

Back