Toast ed marshmallows or witches hats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Without dragging up the past, but our recruiting several years ago was flawed. Woosha thought that we needed to have athletic, run all day players first and foremost, but not guys that could actually play ******* football.

You need players that low and behold, can actually friggen play football.

Like the old saying in business goes, recruit for attitude, train the skills.

Sorry, which ones of Masten, Shuey, Priddis, Selwood, Rosa, Wellingham, Gaff were recruited because they are "athletic run all day players first and foremost"?

Sorry, which ones of Masten, Shuey, Priddis, Selwood, Rosa, Wellingham, Gaff were recruited because they are "athletic run all day players first and foremost"?

Masten.

Remember all those houses he trained down in the preseason!!

Gaff is also an endurance runner who lacks top speed or size.

Both run all day but can't win a contested situation to save themselves.

Sure they might know a bit about footy but at their size and lack of top speed they get run over too easily.

The club needs to focus less about 'fixing the Cousins era problems'. We took our wack and forgot about winning football games and have concentrated on being good corporate citizens. Yes we need to be diligent and set strong values but we've focused too much on this at the detriment of what the club and players are here for.
This paragraph crystallises all my thoughts about our goody goody behaviour. Well put.

Masten.

Remember all those houses he trained down in the preseason!!

Gaff is also an endurance runner who lacks top speed or size.

Both run all day but can't win a contested situation to save themselves.

They weren't drafted as athletic types who run all day and can't play footy as claimed by the poster I was responding to.

They were top end talented footballers. Masten a top end inside player.

There were doubts about how they might project at AFL level but they weren't drafted as athletes who couldn't play.

They weren't drafted as athletic types who run all day and can't play footy as claimed by the poster I was responding to.

They were top end talented footballers. Masten a top end inside player.

There were doubts about how they might project at AFL level but they weren't drafted as athletes who couldn't play.

Agree they could play football but they lack speed, size and contested ball winning ability.

Masten may have been an inside player in U12's;) but he sure isn't at the AFL level.

Agree they could play football but they lack speed, size and contested ball winning ability.

Masten may have been an inside player in U12's;) but he sure isn't at the AFL level.

Agree. I advocated against picking Gaff because he was vanilla and lacked any line breaking skills which I reckoned we needed. He can play but has some limitations.

Masten is just small and seems to intentional avoid any body clashes, handballs recklessly when a tackle seems imminent etc.

But they weren't drafted as athletes rather as footballers first. I think we all now understand that it's about drafting footballers but also about ruling lines through those whose football attributes translate poorly to AFL level.

You can have all the gun outside runners you want but they are all going to look average when you our 18th and stone bottomless last in clearances.

Agree. I advocated against picking Gaff because he was vanilla and lacked any line breaking skills which I reckoned we needed. He can play but has some limitations.

Masten is just small and seems to intentional avoid any body clashes, handballs recklessly when a tackle seems imminent etc.

But they weren't drafted as athletes rather as footballers first. I think we all now understand that it's about drafting footballers but also about ruling lines through those whose football attributes translate poorly to AFL level.

So how would you say they've addressed that by drafting Duggan and Waterman?

I watched Waterman for East Perth in the weekend and he has quite neat disposal but has been punched out of the same machine as Gaff, Masten etc, so i question the philosophy of the recruiting team

Agreed.

That isn't easy drafting 18 year olds. We need an Olli Wines brute of a kid.

We need Waterman to develop quickly, but his top speed isn't that great is it?

I hope Colledge gets a run for an extended period. People say he's not quick but neither is Mundy.

At least Colledge has some size to him.

I watched Waterman for East Perth in rthe weekend and he has quite neat disposal but has been punched out of the same machine as Gaff, Masten etc

Waterman seems very inside and one paced on initial observations, but that left foot is good and he seems to have decent awareness. He seems likely an inside mid who can hurt with his kicking, so there's a chance of some upside and he was a late pick.

Duggan looks good early, obviously he's got to get stronger but he's got good skills a good/quick footy brain and he's quick enough on first impressions. I wanted Nakia, but he was gone. I've got some hope for Duggan.

Although I'd add that neither address the height issue unless the have unexpected late growth spurts :)

I think Yeo is the obvious taller, faster mid and saying we need him down back is a cop out. * down back at this point, we aren't winning anything this year, develop the midfield

I watched Waterman for East Perth in the weekend and he has quite neat disposal but has been punched out of the same machine as Gaff, Masten etc, so i question the philosophy of the recruiting team

We are all questioning the philosophy of the recruiting team but Waterman was basically a freebee at the end of the draft.

Waterman seems very inside and one paced on initial observations, but that left foot is good and he seems to have decent awareness. He seems likely an inside mid who can hurt with his kicking, so there's a chance of some upside and he was a late pick.

Duggan looks good early, obviously he's got to get stronger but he's got good skills a good/quick footy brain and he's quick enough on first impressions. I wanted Nakia, but he was gone. I've got some hope for Duggan.

Although I'd add that neither address the height issue unless the have unexpected late growth spurts :)

I think Yeo is the obvious taller, faster mid and saying we need him down back is a cop out. **** down back at this point, we aren't winning anything this year, develop the midfield

Yeah I guess I don't see the variety that makes a midfield.

A Blakely type and or a Weller/Garlett type, with pace gives that variety? And no I'm not blowing our trumpet just looking at the mix you have.

Agree on Yeo. Think he's a jet.

Yeah I guess I don't see the variety that makes a midfield.

A Blakely type and or a Weller/Garlett type, with pace gives that variety? And no I'm not blowing our trumpet just looking at the mix you have.

Agree on Yeo. Think he's a jet.
Obviously they need a better mix, but they were just taken apart in the middle by a 21 year old shorter than 180cm with no real outstanding athletic attributes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously they need a better mix, but they were just taken apart in the middle by a 21 year old shorter than 180cm with no real outstanding athletic attributes.

To be fair he's number 5 on the list of players who need attention, and is part of that variety.

He brings a lot to the table though

To be fair he's number 5 on the list of players who need attention, and is part of that variety.

He brings a lot to the table though
Yeah, but were any of their blokes getting attention? Shuey just about the only one, and it wasn't a Crowley style clamp down either. The mediocre personnel hurts, but I don't see many of their players hunt the ball in the contest. Wait, yes I do. The ruckman. The bloke whose job it is to have a 120kg monster bash into him is the only one doing the hard work at ground level. Pretty unfair I think. It's basically a one-man Naitanui show and the midfield around him are chip scabs.

To be fair, he's got quality all around him. If he was in a s**t team (say, ours?) he wouldn't be as much of a ball magnet.

You're right though, says alot about our midfield yet again, when all 5 of the oppositions midfielders had better games than ours. Not exactly new.

Yeah, but were any of their blokes getting attention? Shuey just about the only one, and it wasn't a Crowley style clamp down either. The mediocre personnel hurts, but I don't see many of their players hunt the ball in the contest. Wait, yes I do. The ruckman. The bloke whose job it is to have a 120kg monster bash into him is the only one doing the hard work at ground level. Pretty unfair I think. It's basically a one-man Naitanui show and the midfield around him are chip scabs.

No arguments here. Priddis won a Brownlow though :drunk:

yeah, and the space we were getting at the stoppages had to be seen live at the ground to be believed.

They had no idea how to block the space or set up

yeah, and the space we were getting at the stoppages had to be seen live at the ground to be believed.

They had no idea how to block the space or set up
I remember the same thing happening pre-Lyon, and especially in the Connolly days, when the mids would set up at clearances backing Sandilands to win it, and against smarter opposition they'd lose and the ball would be walked out. Still happened from time to time last year, but Lyon has nearly stamped it out.

Hill hit a few contests harder than any West Coast player yesterday. According to Eagles fans he's soft. What's it say about their mids then.

I remember the same thing happening pre-Lyon, and especially in the Connolly days, when the mids would set up at clearances backing Sandilands to win it, and against smarter opposition they'd lose and the ball would be walked out. Still happened from time to time last year, but Lyon has nearly stamped it out.

Hill hit a few contests harder than any West Coast player yesterday. According to Eagles fans he's soft. What's it say about their mids then.

Simpson persisted paying an extra back. Our first two games we've largely played with a 6 man back line and 1 extra at the contest.
You'd think he'd work that out.

Also Priddis seemed to be playing the plus one a bit. He was drifting back filling space. Man that's horrible

Last edited:
Blah Fremantle have five A grade or at the least high b grade mids. Lachie Neale has come on in leaps and bounds and is vastly underrated outside of Fremantle. Of course we all know that Fyfe, Mundy and Barlow are jets. They were always going to smash us. By drafting TUnbridge and Colledge and recently Lamb it appears that we are finally getting the message that size is important in it's own right in the midfield. Our mids looked like short people in their and were continuously exposed running forward. Goal kicking big mids should be a focus for us going forward.

The problems for me are definitely stemming from the midfield at the moment. It's been mentioned we have too many endurance runners and it's a good point. Look at Masten and dare I put it out there Gaff. Apart from glimpes they have pea hearts who need to get some mongrel in them.

I hate to pot Gaff I really liked him pre draft but by now I'd hoped he'd put some muscle on to be an effective inside and outside mid. Aggressively looking for bigger bodied midfielders via trades is critical. A free agent like Danger is probably out of reach but look at players who aren't best 22 at other clubs or look at state leagues.

We missed two experienced and hard midfielders in recent drafts (looking at 2013 in particular) in Chris Cain and Kane Lambert even Brendan Lee from the WAFL, instead going after Dylan Main who is showing nothing and I'm going to suspect had no other interest. Lambert's now at Richmond and Cain is 29 in 2016 so it's a short term gain without much long term benefit.

Be aggressive, show some balls by putting players that aren't pulling there weight up for trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back