AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Edward Vickers-Willis
Height: 190cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Defender​

If there is one thing AFL fans seem to love more than anything, it's players with hyphenated names and it's something that this draft is full of. And the best of them may well be Ed Vickers-Willis from Sandringham. The versatile tall is slowly climbing the draft boards after an impressive U18 Championships for Vic Metro saw him claim the full back spot in the All Australian side. But he is so much more than just a full back.

I know a few people have questioned his spot in the All Australian team from the U18 Championships, but that is solely around positioning as opposed to whether or not he deserved it. While he missed the opening match, Vickers-Willis then went on to average 16 disposals at over 80% efficiency, along with 4 marks and 3 rebound 50s a game. As with what seems like a lot of players, his best two games came early in the tournament before the matchs were televised. In Round 3 against Vic Country he finished with 25 disposals, while the next week against South Australia Vickers-Willis recorded the 16 disposals at 100% efficiency. But as I said, he didn't really play as a full back - despite being named there in the All Australian side. More of a third tall defender, he played further up the ground around the CHB spot pushing both up into the midfield as well as down back to give his teammates a chop out. Without a doubt, that's his best role. But, it's not all he can do. In his handful of TAC Cup games over the past two years, Vickers-Willis has done most things. Last year, he tended to play the more dour roles down back with the occasional moment up forward. But this year for Sandringham, he has been awarded the chance to stretch his legs a bit more in the midfield - with stints both on a wing, and in the guts. Three games in the bests to start the season put his name in lights and got people thinking about what could be for the 190cm Vickers-Willis.

As I wrote before though, it's the back lines in which I see Vickers-Willis forging his career. Teams may be tempted to develop him as that tall midfielder, but I think it would be wasted. Players like Fyfe, Macrae and Bontempelli may have gone from underage utilites to AFL midfielders but it's not as simple as that. Vickers-Willis doesn't quite have the same natural ability, speed or that one thing that sets him apart. A hard working and clean player, his game is just best suited to defence.

Vickers-Willis reminds me a bit of Michael Johnson from Fremantle, although a little shorter. He has a similar skill set and similar strengths. As that hard to match up on third tall defender, he is equally as good in the air and on the ground. He reads the ball well as it's coming in, and is a clean mark above his head. He also knows when to spoil though, and does seem to get a hand in right as it's needed most. On the rebound, he is a good player to have the ball in the hands of. Like Johnson, he isn't the quickest but makes the right decision and knows where the gaps are. And again, like Johnson, he has an awkward kicking style that seems to work for him - as seen by his efficiency during the Championships. But for all the talk of his kicking, his handballing is his biggest strength and more often than not it is his first choice. And when needed, Vickers-Willis has proven himself in a more defensive role. He just works hard, and sticks to his task - be it an offensive or defensive one.

As I project him to be a defender, not a midfielder, I suppose his versatility may be a slight area of weakness. But with the importance of that rebounding tall defender nowadays, teams are drafting specifically for that position and willing to do so quite high. You could question how his kicking technique will hold up under AFL level pressure - particularly as he does lack a yard of pace. But it's working pretty well for him at the moment. His biggest area of weakness is simply that he doesn't really excel in any one particular area. He is good and clean at most things, but doesn't have that one attribute that makes you stand up and take notice.

So, the all important draft position? It seems a lot of people have him going around #20 at the moment, and for me that would be the absolute top of his range. Similar to the likes of Tom Cutler and Kamdyn McIntosh from previous years, somewhere closer to the 30-40 range seems about right to me.

Last edited:
AFL draft: Dragon Ed Vickers-Willis among top tips
Vickers-Willis played five games, averaging 16 disposals (at a remarkable 81 per cent efficiency) and four marks a game.

“He has had a fantastic year,” O’Connor said. “He missed a lot of his 16s’ year and he had to do a lot of rehab in his bottom-age year, so he was behind the eight-ball.

“He’s been really impressive this season. He seems to handle whatever is put in front of him.

“He’s up for the challenge and he believes that he is a better player when he is challenged.”

Melbourne Grammar school captain for 2014, Vickers-Willis also tasted premiership success when the school won the prestigious Associated Public Schools of Victoria flag last year.

“We just think he is a ripper kid and hopefully he goes early in the draft,” O’Connor said. “Somewhere in the top 20 if all reports are to be believed. We’re happy with how he’s tracking and what we’ve heard.”

Vickers-Willis’ mental attitude would also go a long way to ensuring he landed an AFL gig, O’Connor said.

“Resilience and strength of mind is a big part of elite sport and he screams of all of that,” he said. “You need that strength of character if things don’t go your way, and his off-field persona will be as highly regarded as his on-field persona.”
AFL draft: Dragon Ed Vickers-Willis among top tips

Phantom form guide
The Sandringham Dragon has adapted to a few roles throughout the year, from deep in defence, to the half-back flank, to a tagging midfield position and also getting the responsibility to go and win his own ball. A modern size with good athleticism, Vickers-Willis provides some run and carry but is relatively unassuming, managing to get his job done with a minimum of stress. A recruiter last week called him the "smartest player I've ever interviewed", and he knows what he wants and how to best go about getting there.
Phantom form guide

NEAFL rising stars impress in AFL Combine
Kicking test (score out of 30)
Nakia Cockatoo - 29
Daniel Howe - 28
Kyle Langford - 28
Toby McLean - 27
Michael Mattingly - 27
Nathan Drummond - 27
Dean Gore - 27
Brett Eddy - 27
Clem Smith - 26
Liam Duggan - 26
Brayden Maynard - 26
Jack Steele - 26
Ed Vickers-Willis - 26
Mitch McGovern - 26
NEAFL rising stars impress in AFL Combine

AFL draft combine harvester: tall defenders
Ryan O'Connor, Sandringham Dragons: "I can't speak highly enough of Ed, he's just a fantastic kid. Clubs will love what he provides off the field with his character and leadership qualities. He wants to get the best out of himself and he's come on in leaps and bounds. He was hampered by some hip issues after the under-16s but he's been able to handle that and get himself back and he finished second in the Vic Metro best and fairest which says a lot about him. He was Melbourne Grammar's captain this year as well. He believes in what he can do under pressure, and when people are asking a lot of him that's when he's at his best. He seeks out challenges.

I think he'll be able to play a role next year as a third back or something like that, and once he develops his midfield capabilities and running patterns he should be able to play in that part of the ground, he runs a 15-plus beep, has good pace and can move well side to side
. I think he'll turn into a very nice player at AFL level."
AFL draft combine harvester: tall defenders

Last edited:
He is a good kid, no doubt. His ability to play so any different roles well really makes him an interesting prospect. I don't expect that lad to end up as FB, not unless he grows a few more cms. But he could play on anyone but the super quick or the gorillas.

Good get for the pick he was, we have desperately needed a lockdown medium defender for a while, he could play a fair bit of football in 15' imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back