Eddie Betts Decision - Right or wrong?

Goal or no goal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At least the goal umpire made an attempt to get out of the way, it is pretty tough on Betts, deserved a goal but I think the rule is reasonable, would be very rare for the umpire to block a goal I would imagine.

The fact it was Betts makes it a gloriously funny not goal for me.

Seriously though, that kind of umpire interference should be deferred to commonsense and awarded the goal it should have been.

Imagine if that happened in a Grand Final and it was the difference between winning & losing ??

Seriously, this game is losing me more and more on a weekly basis !!
I am imagining 2010, that ball bounces left into Milne's hands and he boots it straight into the goal umpire, play on. Saints lose and we all ground invade and literally tear the umpires limb from limb.

Just saw this on FB, utterly ridiculous decision !!

The AFL cannot help themselves, they keep making stupid decisions to keep front & centre in the media, they have completely lost the plot with this one though.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

The AFL didn't make the decision, the umpire did. As far as i know this rule has been in for decades and goes back to the VFL days.

It's a good thing it's happened in a pre season environment. Gives them a chance to make sure it doesn't happen in a home and away game.

Right decision, but in a situation that should, for obvious reasons, never have arisen - hence why, when applied here, the outcome seems as preposterous as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So for the goal to be disallowed, one has to assume that the goal umpire was in the field of play.
The whole of the ball must cross the line, so the umpire could be just behind the line and preventing it from crossing completely.

A goal can't be automatically awarded, as in some situations a ball could be about to hit the post and be stopped by an umpire, so letting play go on is the best alternative. That, and the umpire being in a better position.

I don't get why the goal umpire has to be on the line when a player is running to an open goal, stand 30cm behind the line and if it smashes into your face then it is still a goal.

Right decision.

Terrible umpiring positioning. And don't try and drill the ump (not saying Betts did)!

Think people need to realise it's the umpires preseason as well!

Once you change the rule to 'common sense prevails' you could have an umpire contact the ball just before it will bounce in the middle of the goal line not knowing the ball was about to bounce completely backwards or a huge leg break that took it away from the goals. Where do you draw the line? Is it if the balls in the middle of the line? Or half way to the goal? So on and so on.

The ball seemed to hit the umpire behind the line anyway. He flinched backwards when he saw the ball coming.

I'm not sure why common sense wouldn't have kicked in and the benefit of the doubt in this case been given to award the goal.

Back