Eddie Betts

What do you think of the AFC recruiting Eddie Betts?

• Yes, $500k is fine

Votes: 205 61.6%
  • Yes, but we're paying too much

Votes: 64 19.2%
  • No, not worth the money

Votes: 45 13.5%
  • No, just do not want at any price.

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he's a ripper. I hadn't fully appreciated until he came to us just how good his work is when the ball spills loose. He's just astoundingly good at finding ways to slap the ball away from an opponent, or work his opponent away from the ball, and then still be thinking about where the goals are in case it ends up spilling free.

Great observation. He's very aware of his direct opponent.

You get the same feeling watching him as you got from Darren Jarman. If you get him one-out, you just know his direct opponent has absolutely no chance - he'll find a way to work him off the ball.

Does it s**t everyone else that wingard will get his AA position and Eddie will miss out? The selectors always have short memories and seem to forget about the start of a year and focus on a strong finish
Was thinking this while laughing at Port being pantsed on Saturday. The rest of the team made Wingard look twice as good as he normally is.

You get the same feeling watching him as you got from Darren Jarman. If you get him one-out, you just know his direct opponent has absolutely no chance - he'll find a way to work him off the ball.

He's like the ****ing alien. Never dead in the contest.

He can seem to be no chance at all, tumbling on the ground and rolling around, nek minnit…. he's on his feet like a skittish cat, he's made up the 15m gap between him and the contest, he's thieved/stolen/purloined/conjured/removed/snatched/slapped/groped/ripped the ball from the clutches of a perplexed/fooled/stunned/baffled/tricked/duped/ripped off opponent who's all like WTF??? and then Eddie's laid off a left foot 50m torp in the wet straight through for a goal.

There is nobody else as good at doing this stuff. AND... he does it over and over and over again!

Eddie:hearts::hearts::hearts:

Even Just the Thread tittle makes me

:):):):)

Congratulations to young Edward Betts
Hope this doesn't sound awful... but do you reckon Eddie is batting out of his league in the new wife stakes? Seems to me being an AFL player somewhat gurantees you a hottie... how many short cheeky council worker types pull the hot blonde? It's like his love life replicates his goal kicking...miraculous...

Remember the day DJ kicked 9 or 10 straight against Freo? Bloke was a freak...

Hope this doesn't sound awful... but do you reckon Eddie is batting out of his league in the new wife stakes? Seems to me being an AFL player somewhat gurantees you a hottie... how many short cheeky council worker types pull the hot blonde? It's like his love life replicates his goal kicking...miraculous...

Being a professional athlete guarantees you that, no matter the country. Being loaded to the gills with $$$ guarantees you that, no matter the country. Being an actor guarantees you that, no matter the country.

Frankly, I don't know to many guys---me included--who in our 20's didn't have tastes in women that far exceeded our looks. It is what men do. ;)

(and god bless the women that take mercy on us) Like for example a young Ms. Visser, who convinced me to barrack for the Crows back in the day. :p

Betts became the 3rd quickest Crow to kick 100 goals for the club on the weekend, behind Modra and Hodges -

Games to kick 100 goals for AFC:

Modra 22 games
Hodges 38 games
Betts 40 games
Walker 50 games
Tippett 57 games
Vardy 64 games

---

Another (unlikely) record that Betts is currently chasing is consecutive games of scoring atleast one goal... Again, the record is held by Modra, but Betts is clear 2nd and at a silly shot of breaking it

Consecutive games of scoring atleast one goal

Modra 38 games (93-94)
Betts 29* games (14-15)
Tippett 19 games (09-10)
Vardy 19 games (98-99)
Walker 15 games (14-15)
Hodges 11 games (91-92)

Infact, Betts has only failed to score a goal in two Crows matches thus far..

hopefully I haven't put the wood on him by pointing this out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we initially got Betts I thought $500k a season was too much to pay, but was still happy with the deal as we needed a crumbing forward and also needed a way to make up for the loss of draft picks.

As it has turned out, he has probably been a bargain. 2 x 50 goal seasons plus a heap of goal assists plus his mentoring of Charlie Cameron has been more than I expected from him.

I also didn't realise before I saw him play for Adelaide just how unselfish he is. I thought he was your usual goal-hungry small forward (which is what they should be really) but, if anything he's too unselfish sometimes. The biggest unexpected gain from him has been the development of Charlie Cameron. I don't think Cameron would have come along as much as he has without Eddie taking him under his wing and mentoring him.

He's also made me crack up laughing a number of times during games with a number of his goals that most players wouldn't even attempt to kick, yet he seems to slot with alarming regularity.

No.

With the role he played for Charlie Cameron and C.E.Y. With Milera joining the club who has said his favourite player is Eddie, so will no doubt look up to Eddie. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eddie in the leadership group this year.
Agreed. He is such an inspiration to these kids. He gave us an interesting insight into his younger years at our breakfast this year, and how differently Charlie is approaching footy at the same age. Charlie spent the first 12 months living with Eddie and his then partner (now wife). Wonder if they'll do the same for Milera?

Agreed. He is such an inspiration to these kids. He gave us an interesting insight into his younger years at our breakfast this year, and how differently Charlie is approaching footy at the same age. Charlie spent the first 12 months living with Eddie and his then partner (now wife). Wonder if they'll do the same for Milera?
Wayne has a very good family background, they might live a touch far away but maybe he doesn't need to leave home in the short term

Back