Roast Eddie freaking Maguire

Remove this Banner Ad

It happens in the EPL. There are a few refs who seem to hate certain teams.

It's not as bad as the AFL - but Man United under Fergie when Howard Webb refereed (especially against Liverpool) could be particularly embarassing

Sorry I meant the commentators. We do get a raw deal with particular umpires which is embarrassing in and of itself however.

Sorry I meant the commentators. We do get a raw deal with particular umpires which is embarrassing in and of itself however.

Ah okay. Gotcha haha.

Yeah commentators are nowhere near as bad in the EPL. Some of the best. There's a few odd special comments guys, but mostly it's damn good listening :thumbsu:

Ah okay. Gotcha haha.

Yeah commentators are nowhere near as bad in the EPL. Some of the best. There's a few odd special comments guys, but mostly it's damn good listening :thumbsu:

I suspect it's because the EPL audience is essentially an international audience. Whereas Eddie apparently thinks his audience is the greater Melbourne metropolitan area and then a couple of south freo hippies.

It happens in the EPL. There are a few refs who seem to hate certain teams.

It's not as bad as the AFL - but Man United under Fergie when Howard Webb refereed (especially against Liverpool) could be particularly embarassing

Howard Webb has never really been overly biased against us but still bad at times. It was more Martin Atkinson than anyone else.

I didn't find him as bad as mark or dwayne on the weekend.

Mark Thompson is also such a poor on the spot communicator he simply shouldn't be in the box. Mumble mumble mumble yeah ah and repeat.

Ah okay. Gotcha haha.

Most commentators on the Epl suck as much AFL commentators. Danny Mills is as bad as Mcguire.

Call the game and give less opinions. That's why the radio is often better. They cant rely on pictures so need to call the actual play which gives them less time to talk opinionated rubbish.

Mark Thompson is also such a poor on the spot communicator he simply shouldn't be in the box. Mumble mumble mumble yeah ah and repeat.

He is a bad communicator in general. Listening to him on 360, commentary and the panel things they do for games on Fox, he just doesn't seem to know how to string multiple coherent sentences together. Unless he is like Lynch who looks uncomfortable and nervous in front of the camera.

Last edited:
Eddie can't help but be biased toward Collingwood and he knows it. So I view his strong pro-Richmond bias as an attempt to counter-balance that. To appease them, if you will.

And whilst I've seen/interpreted bias against Freo all the time and from all commentators, I haven't really thought of it as a pro-Vic thing. I viewed it as more of an anti-Freo thing in that we have largely been under-performing and therefore irrelevant.

With Eddie, however, it's definitely a pro-Vic thing. He's actually... kind of... maybe... an ok caller, but he's also a massive dickhead. Still prefer him to Basil though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie was bad in the Geelong-Freo game as well, but I thought at the time it was tempered a little because it was obvious Freo was going to win.

They've got Press Red for Ed this weekend for the Collingwood-Melbourne game. I support that: people should be able to choose whether or not to listen to his biased commentary.

Eddie was bad in the Geelong-Freo game as well, but I thought at the time it was tempered a little because it was obvious Freo was going to win.

They've got Press Red for Ed this weekend for the Collingwood-Melbourne game. I support that: people should be able to choose whether or not to listen to his biased commentary.

Well if that's the case we all should be able to press red for our clubs own commentary. Commentators are suposed to be neutral, describe the game and keep us informed, not barrick for teams. The sooner he's f...ed off the better.

Well if that's the case we all should be able to press red for our clubs own commentary. Commentators are suposed to be neutral, describe the game and keep us informed, not barrick for teams. The sooner he's f...ed off the better.

Agree entirely, but can't see it happening any time soon. Big four Vic clubs, yes, anyone else, no.

Agree entirely, but can't see it happening any time soon. Big four Vic clubs, yes, anyone else, no.

Was talking to a mate in Melbourne this morning, even he's reckons eddy got to much say, I told him it's because it's a national competition that's why there's money in it and the vfl would've been a bit player, it's the other states that made the afl strong. There's 25million of us and I think about 5m in Victoria, multi national companies don't put sponsorship $$$ into one state, they want saturation, fat head eddy does not see this.

Watching Red for Ed he wasn't actually as bad as some people say. Shaw and Daicos complained more than he did and Eddie was the only one who took shots at Collingwood and complimented Melbourne passages and play. There's no debate that he's one of the best play by play commentators going around. In the Richmond game he was nowhere near as bad as Bomber or Dunstall and by now everyone should know regardless of that game he always picks the underdogs.

OK, I expected to come on this morning and see something about this
Knob jockey, so was it just me, out was he flat out barracking for the Tigers?

He just has no respect for us at all. Has no idea who half or players are. Constant digs at us.

I just found him infuriating.....
He is a complete ****wit and does that against all the non-Vic sides. About 2 minutes into last week's game I just set up the radio. It was actually funny, Brad Hardie must hate Richmond because he was flat out barracking for Fremantle..

I really dislike Eddie's commentary style for all the reasons E Shed articulated earlier. I lasted about 30 seconds on the weekend (that's what she said!) until Alex Pearce made that great spoil and Eddie clearly had no idea what his name was. That was enough for me. I hit mute and put some tunes on, and I suspect my life is better for it. This thread certainly suggests so.

I could still tell the way the wind was blowing with the one-sided replay selections though. I was particularly baffled by the lack of replay when Fyfe was buried face first into the turf. Biased coverage is clearly a team effort.
I just can't watch it in silence without any of the game sounds at all. Fox years ago used to have a feature where you could turn commentary of and just listen to the game but I highly doubt they will bring it back because they would want to promote these morons.

2 commentator i like cameron ling and leigh matthews (few year ago mention hills need to learn to deal with tag, sandi needed to tap it to advantages) who care he is bias if they can improve.

Other such as darcy, basil, isnt he bruce basically can mute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back