Eddie's stinging "Equalisation" attack on Colin Carter

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I understand the AFL is a tenant at the MCG. You're not suggesting less games be played at the G?

Less games are a bargaining chip - as I understand the deal at the G the AFL have an agreement that leaves them with very little room to move.
I'm suggesting the AFL approach the State Government looking for a major say on what happens at the G on behalf of the people who go there week in, week out - use the Adelaide Oval deal as a template IF its ever sorted out. They could point out whats happening in Geelong.

Next time the taxpayer tosses in major money for the G, take a portion of the MCC reserve and return it to the people.

Less games are a bargaining chip - as I understand the deal at the G the AFL have an agreement that leaves them with very little room to move.
I'm suggesting the AFL approach the State Government looking for a major say on what happens at the G on behalf of the people who go there week in, week out - use the Adelaide Oval deal as a template IF its ever sorted out. They could point out whats happening in Geelong.

Next time the taxpayer tosses in major money for the G, take a portion of the MCC reserve and return it to the people.
Fair enough

Are you sure you can compare Gold Coast - what is the deal at Metricon? Who is the stadium manager? are the Gold Coast Council actively supportive?
I see the AFL pocketing a large part of the cash flow at Docklands - they prefer being in control of the purse strings IMHO.

http://www.metriconstadium.com.au/the-stadium/stadium-information/
Only used gold coast as an example to the actual cost factor to have a game at any stadium. metricon is run by the gold coast suns as is skilled stadium
as another example run by geeelong. The cats have it made with a guaranteed income from the stadium deal which from what we see is happening now to adelaide and port. How can a game at etihad with 30k people make the club nothing yet make $500k at skilled. Fix this and no need to punish big clubs for making a good profit. I wouldnt like us to be taxed if we made extra money. Thats a negative drive on innovation fullstop.

metricon is run by the gold coast suns as is skilled stadium
as another example run by geeelong. I wouldnt like us to be taxed if we made extra money. Thats a negative drive on innovation fullstop.
Totally agree with the latter statement, but the City of Greater Geelong is the owner and operator of Simonds Stadium, not GFC.

I assume from this you are not an MCC member?! I am, and I am one of the 150,000+ MCC members. Anyone can join the MCC. So why would you be wanting to take away a portion of the Members reserve?

I would be happy for an arrangement to exist where a section of the Members, if unused, is made available to the public after a certain time on game days.

I assume from this you are not an MCC member?! I am, and I am one of the 150,000+ MCC members. Anyone can join the MCC. So why would you be wanting to take away a portion of the Members reserve?

I would be happy for an arrangement to exist where a section of the Members, if unused, is made available to the public after a certain time on game days.

Taxpayers contribute $s but MCC members get too many seats. Compre?

I'm not a member but my grandchildren are on the waiting list because their parents can afford it.

Geelong can't really complain.

They got significant funding by the AFL & the Liberal backed Govt. who were led by Ted Ballieu (who was once the number 1 ticket holder at Geelong).

The Geelong council receive no profits on Geelong match days. It is a money making pit for Geelong, which has been paid for by taxpayers and AFL supporters.

Other clubs have received Govt. Funding but they don't have the opportunity to make profits on match days like Geelong does. Geelong should be reinvesting into the community on a much larger scale but they refuse to.

The Geelong council receive no profits on Geelong match days. It is a money making pit for Geelong, which has been paid for by taxpayers and AFL supporters.
A very naive comment. A successful Geelong FC translates to a successful Geelong City. The two are inextricably linked.

So from all of this I take you are happy for middle order clubs to contribute effectively double the proportion of profit as Collingwwod and Hawthorn?

A very naive comment. A successful Geelong FC translates to a successful Geelong City. The two are inextricably linked.

That is incorrect.

Geelong have been a successful club lately. Tick.

In recent years, Ford have cut huge jobs & Alcoa are winding up their operations. The 2 largest employers in Geelong.

There is no link between Geelong being successful and the local effect on the region's economy.

That is incorrect.

Geelong have been a successful club lately. Tick.

In recent years, Ford have cut huge jobs & Alcoa are winding up their operations. The 2 largest employers in Geelong.

There is no link between Geelong being successful and the local effect on the region's economy.
So you dispute that Geelong's economy reaps any benefit of GFC being successful?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you dispute that Geelong's economy reaps any benefit of GFC being successful?

I don't think it really has a influence. How many non Geelong residents come into Geelong and spend on local business when Geelong play there? It would be very little.

The economy in Geelong is almost dried up. There will be no future funding for Geelong's next redevelopment by the Govt. on the stadium because it offers little to what issues there are in the economy.

So from all of this I take you are happy for middle order clubs to contribute effectively double the proportion of profit as Collingwwod and Hawthorn?

The naivity is reflected in the deal done at the MCG, almost verging on questioning the Melbourne Cricket Club being seen as unVictorian, remember the attempt to muscle in on the TV rights for footy played at the MCG - not happy with 25000 seats to the Grand Final they wanted more.

I don't think it really has a influence. How many non Geelong residents come into Geelong and spend on local business when Geelong play there? It would be very little.

The economy in Geelong is almost dried up. There will be no future funding for Geelong's next redevelopment by the Govt. on the stadium because it offers little to what issues there are in the economy.

Thats nonsense given the same argument can apply to Adelaide, whilst acknowledging the talking up of going to a game at Adelaide Oval.

Totally agree with the latter statement, but the City of Greater Geelong is the owner and operator of Simonds Stadium, not GFC.
What are the breakdowns of the profits for a home match? How much does the Geelong football club recieve, and how much does the city of greater Geelong recieve? I thought the Cats got most, if not all, of the profits? Happy to be corrected though.

What are the breakdowns of the profits for a home match? How much does the Geelong football club recieve, and how much does the city of greater Geelong recieve? I thought the Cats got most, if not all, of the profits? Happy to be corrected though.

The point being Geelong is supported by the local Government whereas State Government money for the G is funnelled through the MCC, not footy.
At Geelong as I understand it, the Club gets advertising/promotion rights whereas the Cricket Club takes a portion at the G, the competing (home) club gets only some access to revenue raising. Not sure if the AFL creams off any revenue other than the AFL members enclosure.

Geelong football club receives 90% of the revenue from a home game. As far as im concerned that's not a problem in fact its awesome that such a deal
can work for all parties. The whole issue around stadiums is the fact that a game at etihad can lose money for a club. We would be a fair way down the road to sorting out the funding issues if all clubs made money at least relevant to the crowd numbers. I would prefer to see a pool of all gate money used to pay all stadium costs and the balance divided between all clubs relevant to the crowd numbers for the year. That would put real pressure on all members and supporters to go to there games.

Geelong football club receives 90% of the revenue from a home game. As far as im concerned that's not a problem in fact its awesome that such a deal
can work for all parties. The whole issue around stadiums is the fact that a game at etihad can lose money for a club. We would be a fair way down the road to sorting out the funding issues if all clubs made money at least relevant to the crowd numbers. I would prefer to see a pool of all gate money used to pay all stadium costs and the balance divided between all clubs relevant to the crowd numbers for the year. That would put real pressure on all members and supporters to go to there games.

Geelong Council support Geelong Football Club just WA taxpayers support the WA clubs & the SA Government got involved at Adelaide Oval to support SA footy & cricket - if the AFL thinks it can grab the support of these guys & redistribute them to Melbourne clubs, it will soon come to an end.
Gate money - there is no walk up in WA.
Instead of your airy fairy equalisation idea Gaz you need to question why in Vic the Statre Govt & the suburban Councils do nothing concrete to support the game but bend over backwards to pump up the Melbourne Cricket Club.

This isn't equalisation - it is selective equalisation. It is dabbling around the edges.
The aim is to prop up the clubs at the bottom of the ladder or clubs that the AFL is investing extra attention to.
The top clubs - Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong and Collingwood - aren't really effected by equalisation as they have already built themselves a nest egg of profits and success.
Why should I buy a Carlton membership when the money is going straight to North Melbourne ? A team which is competing for the top 4.
The aim of buying membership was to keep the money with Carlton. Now that I know the money is going to other clubs I just won't bother buying a membership.

Taxpayers contribute $s but MCC members get too many seats. Compre?

I'm not a member but my grandchildren are on the waiting list because their parents can afford it.

MCC members have paid a crap load for MCG upgrades over the years.

In any case, as far as I know heres the deals at AFL stadiums. Ive rushed this, and theres a few details that might be incorrect that ill get around to checking later.

aflstadiumdeals.png

MCC members have paid a crap load for MCG upgrades over the years.

In any case, as far as I know heres the deals at AFL stadiums. Ive rushed this, and theres a few details that might be incorrect that ill get around to checking later.
Not sure what you are denying or ignoring or ... No argument MCC members have kicked the can but so have the Vic taxpayers aka me !! Yes my hip pocket, my neighbour etc.

The Vic govt of all persuasions give the money to the MCC compared to the WA govt who kick in to footy & Melbourne clubs are copping it on their Balance Sheets. Seems the Adelaide Oval deal brokered by the AFL influenced by Ian McLachlan not Gil, is a dud ... over to you Wookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back