EDFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Bunyip looking pretty strong. Picked up a midfielder from Beaconsfield, along with petch from Warragul that I mentioned earlier. Add to that the return of Brent Heus from Beacy and Brad Wolfe and I think Mitchell Davies, and things are looking vary solid. Michael Whyte won't be overseas and I think Vansitart and Joslear may also be back.

Longwarry I see have changed their coach afterall, Dean Rice stepping down due to personal commitments and last years assistant Scott Gowans taking the reins.

Interesting fixture, only 17 rounds, so play two teams twice, and in true AFL style, some teams are played twice before others have been played once.

Bunyip looking pretty strong. Picked up a midfielder from Beaconsfield, along with petch from Warragul that I mentioned earlier. Add to that the return of Brent Heus from Beacy and Brad Wolfe and I think Mitchell Davies, and things are looking vary solid. Michael Whyte won't be overseas and I think Vansitart and Joslear may also be back.

Longwarry I see have changed their coach afterall, Dean Rice stepping down due to personal commitments and last years assistant Scott Gowans taking the reins.

Interesting fixture, only 17 rounds, so play two teams twice, and in true AFL style, some teams are played twice before others have been played once.

Mitchy Davies to Doveton Shane Smith has returned to Bunyip as well though.

We have a heaps of recruits a few from Killy Bass that came with Alger and few others from various areas but also did lose a couple back to Bunyip. Points system will be a stretch but doesn't really bother me because it will help our 2's haha. Numbers so far have been 25-30 each night and slowly building. Great feeling around the club with a new coach and direction. Our Praccy matches are against Killy Bass and maybe Boolarra.
Alger still playing!! he would have to have a lot of games under his belt these days!

edit:sorry, Dean not Paul. I see Paul is back at Catani.

Last edited:
Rumours floating around that there could be up to 3 teams not being able to field a reserves team every week. Nyora, Poowong and Ellinbank. Senior training numbers have been very poor, also could be 4-5 clubs including ours that might not be able to field 3rds because of a lack of numbers. Seems the league's decision to rejoin could have some pretty hefty repercussions for some clubs including folding.

Crisis meeting for nyora tomorrow night so should find out if they merge very soon. I think a merger is the only way nyora and poowong can survive and be competitive for years to come.

Crisis meeting for nyora tomorrow night so should find out if they merge very soon. I think a merger is the only way nyora and poowong can survive and be competitive for years to come.
With the inherent imbalance in the league between country towns and the city fringe teams, it's only a matter of time until all the small towns have folded or merged, which will be a real shame. Hardly worth calling it the Ellinbank League.

The re-joining of the leagues was a massive error. Those smaller towns should form their own competition separate from the VCFL if they have to. Anything else is only prolonging the inevitable.

It's a complete joke going back to 1 div,I fear there will be at least 4 clubs who shut up shop without mergers in the next few years.all these teams at least had half a chance last year to play finals and compete every week,it's near impossible (even if you have the cash) to recruit players when they have no chance of finals and are just getting smashed by the big boys.the facts are the same 4 teams will raffle flags for ever if it stays like this. Edit.i just see justin berry has signed with garfield,wow he's a big fish who needs lots of feeding.$$$$$$$$$$.

Had a thought on the weekend, that some of these clubs would probably do better from withdrawing from the current format and shifting to a Sunday more relaxed style of league. Where reserves aren't a necessity, you don't pay players, you just get a bunch of locals to turn up on a Thursday for a light kick around, Sunday's match then a few drinks at the bar and pub and not so serious. I think it would attract a lot of players in those areas.

Had a thought on the weekend, that some of these clubs would probably do better from withdrawing from the current format and shifting to a Sunday more relaxed style of league. Where reserves aren't a necessity, you don't pay players, you just get a bunch of locals to turn up on a Thursday for a light kick around, Sunday's match then a few drinks at the bar and pub and not so serious. I think it would attract a lot of players in those areas.

Why play for nothing on a Sunday when you can get paid to do it on a Saturday?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why play for nothing on a Sunday when you can get paid to do it on a Saturday?

All those who want to get paid can move into the paid leagues around the place while those towns who can't compete can at least have a club which still runs and allows adults to have a bit of a kick.

I just think there's room in the region for a less serious competition. Works in the city very well with the re-emergence of pub v pub football tournaments.

Doesn't mean you have to abandon the Saturday club completely either. You could run both.

Anyone know of the outcome of Nyora's meeting?? The league are having an information night tonight for all clubs.

Nyora will go it alone and will re asses it in 2017
Without reserves I heard today as well, hope they get them up otherwise our round 1 will consist maybe an under 16's game and a senior game plus 4 netball games

Round 1 Cobras v Goon Justin Koschitzke and Aussie Jones will play for the Cobras,Aussie may play more games depending on how the body pulls up but Kozi will just play the 1 game.Jones has been doing most of the pre season running and taking training drills as we'll.

Goon would be happy with that Kozi didn't get a kick on his has 3 years haha. That would mean a player would be missing out just to have him play the one game wouldn't it??

Don't think it's gonna help a bloke if he gets on the glass barby before running out.
People who already have problems with it will probably be so paranoid that they think it helps them and they need it to feel normal, but that's more part of the addiction and mental thing than performance enhancement.

There is of course the performance enhancing aspects of it, which would be beneficial in the short term, but in the medium-long term it would be extremely damaging.

I think the football aspects of the ice epidemic are probably just a mirror on the society in general. Towns that have an ice problem (particularly in the youths) are probably going to have sports clubs with ice problems.

seen nyora's team posted on the facebook page last night, maybe 3 blokes in it that are over 22.

going to be a long year for a few sides, i dont understand how the league thought this was a better option, Nyora, poowong and Ellinbank are going to get flogged by most sides.

Sad to see these sides struggling, hopefully a full restructure can ensure the survival of these clubs.

seen nyora's team posted on the facebook page last night, maybe 3 blokes in it that are over 22.

going to be a long year for a few sides, i dont understand how the league thought this was a better option, Nyora, poowong and Ellinbank are going to get flogged by most sides.

Sad to see these sides struggling, hopefully a full restructure can ensure the survival of these clubs.
Sadly tiger there will always be lopsided EDFL comps. Always has. Halora in its final years was prolly worse than Nyora. Darnum also were not much better at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back