EDFL Div 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it there's always talk of unrest or unhappy players when things aren't going as expected? Why is the heat always on the coaches and not the playing groups? Congrats to the Craigieburn boys, had a look at them last round and thought they were ok until the bigger boys at West Coburg wore them down. Keep the ball moving, less contests and those youngsters will improve ok in time
Some players need to grow up and start behaving like men not sulky little children.Very quickly their reputation as trouble gets to other clubs ears and clubs will not touch them.

Why is it there's always talk of unrest or unhappy players when things aren't going as expected? Why is the heat always on the coaches and not the playing groups? Congrats to the Craigieburn boys, had a look at them last round and thought they were ok until the bigger boys at West Coburg wore them down. Keep the ball moving, less contests and those youngsters will improve ok in time
It's the way of the world unfortunately, everything is always someone elses fault.

It's the way of the world unfortunately, everything is always someone elses fault.

Well done to Craigieburn on a solid performance.

Agree 100% on both these posts plus Doona2's other comment about a lot of young blokes are wired completely differently these days!

This isn't limited to football either - you see it at work and socially and it flows through to older people also don't worry about that.

It's as if the natural course of action when given a hard line, message, feedback, direction etc. is to act out by taking to internet chat forums, social media or simply whinging to anyone who's prepared to buy in.

What happened to using those hard lines, messages, feedback and direction to improve yourself, motivate yourself and get back to working harder?

It sounds like you have more than a passing interest in Hillside. It is difficult to place them in the top 8 of Division 1.

Another very interesting round of div1 footy. Looks like it's going to be a very close and great comp this year. It is only early in the season but I think you might have to think about this post a bit more the chairman . Lost to the tulla by 5 or 6 points then beat Taylor's lakes who are always there abouts and then bet a very much improved westy by 4-5 goals away,that's definately a good start to finding there way in the top 8 div 1. Some big games in the next. Seems to me that you don't always need big name players to win games of footy. A big round of footy this week with oak park vs westy,Taylor's vs haddy, glenroy vs hillside and a much better craigieburn vs tulla. Oak park and glenroy need to win otherwise it makes it hard to catch up 3-4 wins

Another very interesting round of div1 footy. Looks like it's going to be a very close and great comp this year. It is only early in the season but I think you might have to think about this post a bit more the chairman . Lost to the tulla by 5 or 6 points then beat Taylor's lakes who are always there abouts and then bet a very much improved westy by 4-5 goals away,that's definately a good start to finding there way in the top 8 div 1. Some big games in the next. Seems to me that you don't always need big name players to win games of footy. A big round of footy this week with oak park vs westy,Taylor's vs haddy, glenroy vs hillside and a much better craigieburn vs tulla. Oak park and glenroy need to win otherwise it makes it hard to catch up 3-4 wins
Imagine the pressure on Glenroy and Oak Park if they lose again this wek. Both would be 0 & 4 and then play each other the following week so someone will be 0&5 Both these sides were touted as Premiership contenders, it is a long way back from 0 & 4 or 1 & 5 to play finals. 9 or 10 wins will get you in I reckon so these 2 will have to win 10 out of 13. Tough ask with the rest of the comp so even and no easy games.

Just the one out of four last week in the tips although I did miss 2 games by a combined 3 points. Another big round in Div 1. Burgers have the bye so 4 very even games again. Haddy v Lakes @Haddy. Lakes have been just getting the job done and they might just sneak home. Lakes by 15. Oak Park v westy absolutely massive game for both clubs Oakers players haven't won for so long they probably don't know the song. Westy have been mixing their form. Oakers to scrape home by 4 points.
Sharks V Roys who would have predicted preseason that the sharks would go into this game as fav? but they do and I said if the Roys lost last week they were GAWN and I think this week will seal the deal. Hillside are up and running, they will win by 20.
Eagles v Demons another very important game, Eagles coming off a morale booster last week and Demons coming off a heartbreaker. Tulla to just be too good and win by 18.

Well obviously interest has waned for this division but I will give my weekly tips anyway. Westy v Haddy should be an easy win for the Tigers as they need to consolidate their spot in the top 4. Roys v Oaky wow who would have thought that these 2 would only have 1 win between them after 5 rounds? Loser kisses finals goodbye in my opinion. Oaks gun mids vs Roys gun talls. Roys at home just. Sharks v Crazy another tight game, I think these 2 along with Haddy are looking to avoid the drop. Massive game but I think Sharks to stay in the top 4 hunt and just win. Lakes v Burgers match of the round should be a ripper. If Lakes win the top 3 tighten right up, Burgers win and they are 2 games clear of third and a lock for top 2. Burgers are playing too well atm and will win by 4 goals.

High scoring game last week against lakes and hadfield. will want to bounce back and stay in the running for finals so i think they will just get over the line against westy, they have played well there in recents meetings.
Roys coming of a strong win last week and finally finding some form will be too strong for oaky in my opinion.
Hillside vs Craigieburn, hillside showing that they are not the easy beats of the competition with some impressive wins, will be too good for cragieburn who has been disappointing so far.
and lakes vs west coburg, taylors coming off a big win on the weekend with lots of goals scored, if west coburg they can shut down their full forward who kicked 10 then burgers will take it out comfortably.

Hillside by 36
West Coburg by 28
Glenroy by 18
Westmeadows by 16

I must say, and as much as I thought they'd run last, the emphasis on youth down at Hillside looks to be paying off. Can recognise plenty of youngsters names in their senior side.

Last edited:
3 pretty close games today with tips going as predicted.

The Hillside v Craigieburn score might look ugly, but it's worth noting by 1/4er time the Eagles were down to 20 and by midway through the 2nd they were down to 18 players who had to play the rest of the game out without a rest.

Want to give a big wrap to Eagles player, Dom Micallef who played 3 1/4ers for the 18s kicking 5 goals and then a full senior game kicking 2 while rotating in the ruck. Very good player who is one to watch despite a slight frame.

The Hillside v Craigieburn score might look ugly, but it's worth noting by 1/4er time the Eagles were down to 20 and by midway through the 2nd they were down to 18 players who had to play the rest of the game out without a rest.

Want to give a big wrap to Eagles player, Dom Micallef who played 3 1/4ers for the 18s kicking 5 goals and then a full senior game kicking 2 while rotating in the ruck. Very good player who is one to watch despite a slight frame.
Hillside also had the luxury of 4 TAC players being available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No excuses for craigieburn yesterday. They played against a bunch of good kids but they did have a lot of kids themself.Feel sorry for them as the are being coached by an absolute drop kick who carried on like an idiot yesterday and after the game in the rooms.hillside did have a few out yesterday as well so the result probably could of been a lot bigger

No excuses for craigieburn yesterday.

I would think being down to 18 halfway through the 2nd 1/4er was a pretty legit excuse for the score blowing out and it was still close at 1/4er time. Losing two more before the long break pretty much finished them off.

They played against a bunch of good kids but they did have a lot of kids themself.

Only 1 U18 player in the side, but plenty still worth a look at down at the 18s.

Feel sorry for them as the are being coached by an absolute drop kick who carried on like an idiot yesterday and after the game in the rooms.

Wasn't in the rooms at the end, so can't comment. Couldn't find much fault with his two short break chats.

I did think complaining to the Umps about looking after the kids in a senior game of footy was pretty silly. If you can't handle it, stick to your own age group.

hillside did have a few out yesterday as well so the result probably could of been a lot bigger

It may well have given the circumstances.

Auckmel I realise you are the "Moderator" so you probably have the adv of knowing who we are but what is with this constant sticking up for Craigeburn. Tell it how it is, they are a complete rabble. How many years in a row have they been down the bottom now? they should be a Premier div Powerhouse with the kids/area they have. They have one of the biggest budgets in div1 fact but they waste it paying 1k and even more on s**t players. They turn over 15 players every year. WHY? You are obviously connected down there somehow so why is it they continually underperform?

Auckmel I realise you are the "Moderator" so you probably have the adv of knowing who we are but what is with this constant sticking up for Craigeburn.

I have no idea who any of you are, well except snax, I'm just telling you what happened during the game yesterday as I was there. How many teams do you know would last out a Div 1 game with 18 players?

It was an absorbing contest prior to them losing players.

Tell it how it is, they are a complete rabble. How many years in a row have they been down the bottom now? they should be a Premier div Powerhouse with the kids/area they have. They have one of the biggest budgets in div1 fact but they waste it paying 1k and even more on s**t players. They turn over 15 players every year. WHY? You are obviously connected down there somehow so why is it they continually underperform?

I have no idea why they aren't the power house of the EDFL like they should be and it's only our first year at the club, so I'm not the one who could answer those questions.

Last edited:
I have no idea who any of you are, well except snax, I'm just telling you what happened during the game yesterday as I was there. How many teams do you know would last out a Div 1 game with 18 players?

It was an absorbing contest prior to them losing players.

I have no idea why they aren't the power house of the EDFL like they should be and it's only our first year at the club, so I'm not the one who could answer those questions.[
That drop kick of a coach as Quick Footy calls him is a very successful coach who along with a very experienced coaching panel are in the process of rebuilding a club in every way after four years of damage done by others. The coaching panel that Drop Kick has assembled have been successful as coaches and players but it now that they see the job ahead and I will back that the hard calls will be made on some players who are overrated . But the proof will be at the end of the journey not the the first few steps.

That drop kick of a coach as Quick Footy calls him is a very successful coach who along with a very experienced coaching panel are in the process of rebuilding a club in every way after four years of damage done by others. The coaching panel that Drop Kick has assembled have been successful as coaches and players but it now that they see the job ahead and I will back that the hard calls will be made on some players who are overrated . But the proof will be at the end of the journey not the the first few steps.

Easy to sit back and criticise, but anyone close can see the improvement despite results no coming, yet.

Easy to sit back and criticise, but anyone close can see the improvement despite results no coming, yet.
Exactly Mel they have come a fair way in a short time and Peter and his Coaching panel who most came in with an open mind and no set opinion on players except what they were told now see what is required . So anyone can sit in there armchair and criticise but see what things are like at the end of the journey because at the the end when success comes the people who criticise now will be the one's saying I told you Peter was good.

Interesting to see Liam Turner running around in the reserves for Westmeadows on the weekend. Not sure what's happening there.

Good result for Hillside, oldest player on weekend was 26yrs old. Majority under 23.

Craigieburn clearly targeted Hillside's u18 tac cup players, who I thought stood up really well.

Ok he might have a good coaching record behind him.I'm not having a crack at him personally ,I am just saying that the way he was carrying on was definately not a great look or way to be leading the club and is definately not the way any of the edfl coaches take there approach

Hillside only had 1 current Tac player on Saturday,the other 3 are in the Tac squad but have played most of the year with Hillside Seniors and 18's

Ok he might have a good coaching record behind him.I'm not having a crack at him personally ,I am just saying that the way he was carrying on was definately not a great look or way to be leading the club and is definately not the way any of the edfl coaches take there approach
The EDFL needs to clean up the umpiring in Div 1 too many umpires seem to influence games by bad decisions missing behind play incidents.Before you worry about someone showing passion for the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back