EDFL Div 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have the inside word but watch Westy most weeks.

Rama missed a couple of games with injury but has looked serviceable the last two weeks. For him, it's just about getting time on the field as he works his way back from injury. The noticeable thing with him is the time he appears to have when in possession. I look forward to seeing a fully fit Rama in partnership with a fully fit Robbie Mullen. Hopefully that will happen in time for finals this year.

As for Wilson, he has most certainly provided a target. I've been impressed by his ability to pick the right time to quickly play on after taking a mark up the ground. I can't say I've notice a lack of speed but will have more of a look at him this week.

Big game this week for Westmeadows. Playing West Coburg was always going to be a big test. It has been magnified by the fact they are on the rebound.

Hey Rhino. Thanks for the response. Clearly there was an issue between Rochy and Rama as allegedly they let him go as a highly paid player. He and Wilson were playing in Goulburn Valley league with Brendon Hollow. I watched both only twice and thought Rama looked injured (clearly his history says he can play) and subsequently both partiies agreed to part ways. Wilson looked okay but other teams in the G V quickly realisef they could run off him hence my comment about being slow. He can certainly catch the footy!!
Good luck to Rama and Wilson with Westmeadows for the rest of the year.

Three rounds to go and the battle for relegation is still a 4 way battle. Some more big games this week, Crazyburn have the bye so get to bank four more points which puts Haddy and OP right under the hammer and it also makes the Sharks a little nervous as well. Haddy V Roys, Haddy need to produce on their home deck or I think they are gone although all last 3 games are winnable for them> Glenroy have been up and down all year but I think their big 3 Kite, Dulic and Campbell will be too hard to stop and they will win by 5 sausage rolls. Sharks V OP whoever wins this one will be save. Sharks win and they will be 2 clear of OP and if OP win then their % will probably save them from Haddy and Crazy. All year we have been expecting Oak Park to finally click and it just hasn't happened finally I am off them. Hillside by 2 pts. Westmeadows V West cob, last week one of the 3rd and 4th teams finally got a top 2 scalp and westy will be trying to do the same but running into the Burgers coming off a loss might not be ideal. Expect Marwan and Fitax to run riot on the big expanses of willowbrook West cob by 30. Lakes v Tulla, Lakes were terrific last week and put some real interest into the division with a stirring win Jake Desousa bagged 5 and his brother, Morelli and Taylor racked up plenty last week. This week they come up against Tulla and their potent fwd line and miserly defence. I think the Lakes mids need to have a day out. Should be a cracker but Tulla just by 14 pts. PS if anyone is interested I still think Crazyburn will go down

After the last 2 weeks has Div 1 now become a 3 horse race instead of 2? Taylors Lakes are currently on fire and Tulla and the Burgers need to look out. I still think the Burgers are favs but things have gotten more interesting. 1.90 Burgers, 2.70 Tulla, 4 bucks Lakes, 21 westy. At the other end OP are now safe and Hillside look safe but still not 100%. The four bottom sides all play each other this week so if Haddy and Crazy could sneak wins how big would rd 18 be. For what its worth I think Haddy will beat Hillside and Crazy will go down but who the hell knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Penultimate round before finals and a few of these games are huge with the bottom four all playing each other. With the Ladder currently Crazy and Haddy 16 and sharks and OP on 20 if the lowest 2 can win round 18 could be massive. Haddy v Hillside I think Haddy have been very disappointing after a promising start to the season but at the "Nest" they will get the job done against the Sharks. Haddy by 8. Crazyburn v OP surely 2 of the most disappointing clubs for 2014 both talked up finals preseason and both have delivered nothing. Crazy resigned their coach during the week obviously he has impressed internally because he hasn't impressed me too much. Oakers to sure up one more posi in div 1 for next year and win by 39. The next 2 games have little bearing on the season, I know mathematically Glenroy can still finish 4th and mathematically Lakes can still get 2nd but lets get serious it aint happening. Some major upsets and massive scores would need to happen either that and about 20 barrels would need to change hands. I will keep it short, Burgers to smash the Roys by 60, Tulla to beat Westy by 30.

It will be interesting to see if Hillside include their Jets players (TAC Cup has a break this weekend) this weekend. They probably have to with a tough last game against West Coburg. With those guys in they will beat Hadfield and then it's up to the Eagles to beat Oak Park which I think they're more than capable of doing.

As for the coach well, to his credit he's introduced a bucket load of U18 year olds to senior footy and the side has clearly improved over the year under his and the coaching staffs guidance. Whether it's going to be enough to save them from relegation only time will tell. If they have to rebuild from Div 2 then that can't be all bad as Hillside has shown what a season of winning can do.

Just resigned the current coach?
From what I have seen this is a great move although results may not reflect he is by far the best coach they have had in 4 years with clear communication and an actual game plan.

It took Barnard 2 years to destroy the club unfortunately a rebuild takes a bit longer

Watched a good game between Craigieburn and Oak Park the only downside the umpiring free kick count 30 to 11 one umpire ignored a player being punched in the face with a clenched fist at least 6 times and what did said umpire do ball up. Until the EDFL start holding bad umpires to account ( This umpire has been in charge of at least half a dozen games this year with Craigieburn and has blatantly cruicified Craigieburn each time) nothing will change.

Watched a good game between Craigieburn and Oak Park the only downside the umpiring free kick count 30 to 11 one umpire ignored a player being punched in the face with a clenched fist at least 6 times and what did said umpire do ball up. Until the EDFL start holding bad umpires to account ( This umpire has been in charge of at least half a dozen games this year with Craigieburn and has blatantly cruicified Craigieburn each time) nothing will change.

It really was a ripping game.

OP would get away and then the Eagles would come back hard. Must hit targets and take right options. I LoLed at one point where the boundary umpire got in the way and after a bit of ribbing from the crowd he turned and said "look at the scoreboard" to which the reply came "supporting Oak Park are we?"

Hadfield lost by 70 points and now sit bottom of the ladder.

Could not agree more umpiring was deplorable

It looked like a simple case of the haves and the have nots yesterday with the top 2 teams handing out some serious thrashings to 4th and 5th on the ladder while Taylors Lakes 3rd rested their weary bodies. West Cob inflicted more pain on Glenroy and if they had kicked straight a 100 point flogging would have occurred. Speaking of 100 point floggings Tulla embarrassed Westy who didn't score for 3 quarters. In the bottom half the bottom 2 remain the bottom 2 after 6th and 7th got the choccies. Well done to the Sharks who have done a mighty job coming up from Div 2 and will now keep their spot in Div 1 after smacking the Hawks. A sigh of relief would have been breathed at JP Fawkner after Oak Park avoided the double drop. It is now down to 2 for relegation and I cant see either team winning so saving % might be the key. Crazyburn have been on the bottom all year but they may have just got off the ground floor at the exact right time.

Just a question to anyone, we play Hadfield each year in a practice game and not being from the EDFL just wanted to know why Hadfield's Senior results aren't improving over the years. They apparently have a pretty good group of young kids in the U18 competition but when I check the results they seem to get beat in the Seniors more than they win. What do you see as the problem, is it the Coach or aren't the players good enough? We always seem to have very competitive games against them in pre season. We also played Roxburgh Park this year and they beat us and seem to be improving.

Just a question to anyone, we play Hadfield each year in a practice game and not being from the EDFL just wanted to know why Hadfield's Senior results aren't improving over the years. They apparently have a pretty good group of young kids in the U18 competition but when I check the results they seem to get beat in the Seniors more than they win. What do you see as the problem, is it the Coach or aren't the players good enough? We always seem to have very competitive games against them in pre season. We also played Roxburgh Park this year and they beat us and seem to be improving.

I know a fair bit about hadfield and for at least the first half of the year they were very competitive, lost by 5 goals to tulla after leading at 3/4, 3 goals to westy etc, then they were riddled with injuries and at one point had 13-14 of their best 25 out at one time.. copped a lot of long term injuries that kept their players out for 5/6/7 games at a time and thats where the lack of depth through the reserves hasnt been able to help them alot and are now are at real risk of relegation. I believe at FULL strength they would be pushing for top 4 but as we all know, youd have to be very very lucky to keep your team at full strength the whole way through the season.
will be interesting to see if their boys stick around if relegated, if they do stick around which you hope they would, im sure they will go down win a flag and be back up in no time, but only time will tell.

Might even be time for rob don to move on. Not having a go at the bloke I did a pre season there a few years back and he's a top bloke but he's been doing the job for seven or eight years and just might be time for a new voice and set of ideas.

Might even be time for rob don to move on. Not having a go at the bloke I did a pre season there a few years back and he's a top bloke but he's been doing the job for seven or eight years and just might be time for a new voice and set of ideas.

Yeah you could be right there mate, hes a ripper bloke but they might just need a new face with fresh ideas. From what i hear he has alot of support on the board though so who really knows what will happen, im sure all options will be assessed during the off season.

Yeah you could be right there mate, he's a ripper bloke but they might just need a new face with fresh ideas. From what i hear he has a lot of support on the board though so who really knows what will happen, I'm sure all options will be assessed during the off season.

8 years is a long time to be in the job with limited success. Westmeadows may be a good example to look at, won 2 games last year and really should be in C grade. A complete overhaul of the club in the off season, and although they have been disappointing the last 2 weeks the reality of it is they will now play finals only 12 months finishing on the bottom. Proves it doesn't take long to rebuild it.

Question probably needs to be asked though. If Westmeadows had been relegated as the rules say, would they be in the same position ? Sometimes you do need a bit of luck along the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back