EDFL DIV 1 UNDER 16's

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what John Barnes is like as a coach, but he's been appointed to coach Doutta's U16 team next year.

John Barnes Appointed Under 16 Coach

Seems to be good numbers at pre season and from talking to some of the boys they are loving it , lets face it Barnsey is a big kid at heart so he can relate , the best bit is that they are listening so it must be a positive

Seems to be good numbers at pre season and from talking to some of the boys they are loving it , lets face it Barnsey is a big kid at heart so he can relate , the best bit is that they are listening so it must be a positive

The boys do seem to be enjoying themselves. Can not believe the size of his boy. Massive unit.

With Jose running the 14's (and he got a great turnout last week at a pre-season get together) things can only be bright for the future.

The boys do seem to be enjoying themselves. Can not believe the size of his boy. Massive unit.

With Jose running the 14's (and he got a great turnout last week at a pre-season get together) things can only be bright for the future.

As well as this crop of under 18's won the premiership and the other 2 teams reached the preliminary final in the 16's , 2 years ago and most of them are doing preseason with the seniors could be in for a good year ?

As well as this crop of under 18's won the premiership and the other 2 teams reached the preliminary final in the 16's , 2 years ago and most of them are doing preseason with the seniors could be in for a good year ?

Hope so. Looks promising.

who are the footballers to watch in this age group. i see on the cannons website there are about 24 from the edfl in the barry davis , which is a gret effort:thumbsu:

Doutta Stars getting in an early start.

All Under 16 players for 2012 are invited to Fighting Lyons Gym this coming Sunday 6th November - 70a Keilor Rd Essendon. It's an opportunity to meet the coaches and take part in a gym session with the experts.

Coaches will brief all players on the pre season schedule on the day. Be there at 10am for a 10:15 start.

Season kicks off tomorrow. Some pretty good games around the league to get the season rolling.

Abers play Keilor at home in what could be a forerunner to a Grand Final later in the year. Lots of high quality players in both sides and this should be a ripping match for anyone who wants to watch high quality junior footy.

Essendon Doutta Stars who have a heap of first years in their squad should account for West Coburg. A very good Greenvale side should be able to cover Haddy, and Hillside should open the season with a win over Strathmore.

Plenty of other games on sunday around the league too. Get down and support the game at the grassroots.

Round 2 on sunday offers up some very good games in the EDFL Div 1 comp.

Abers should get their first win over a rugged West Coburg. Strathmore v Essendon Doutta Stars shapes up as a very close match which is too tough to pick as does Hadfield v Hillside. Game of the round features Keilor up against Greenvale.

Enjoy your weekend of footy.

Round 3 already. Sheesh it goes quick.

Essendon Doutta Stars v Hadfield should be a very good game. A tough one to pick, but I think EDS should get up by a goal or two. Well I hope anyway. :)

Greenvale v Aberfeldie should be a very good game with the Jets probably having the upper hand at home.

Hillside host Keilor and will put up a good fight, but at this stage it's hard to see who can beat Keilor.

Last game of the round sees Strathmore host West Coburg and the Lions should get home by 30 odd points.

Having seen the Keilor side first hand they're going to be tough to beat this season

Saw the last quarter Hillside v Keilor pretty scrappy. Keilor were challenged but proved too strong in the end. Interesting they used O'Kearney for 10 mins of quarter.
Noted they had a number of outs due to injury & metro footy. Based on what others are saying look the side to beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the last quarter Hillside v Keilor pretty scrappy. Keilor were challenged but proved too strong in the end. Interesting they used O'Kearney for 10 mins of quarter.
Noted they had a number of outs due to injury & metro footy. Based on what others are saying look the side to beat.

Will get a first hand look at them this week. Will be very tough. Both clubs have kids in the Vic Schoolboy tryouts in the morning which will probably impact more on EDS than Keilor who should win pretty comfortably.

Will get a first hand look at them this week. Will be very tough. Both clubs have kids in the Vic Schoolboy tryouts in the morning which will probably impact more on EDS than Keilor who should win pretty comfortably.

If Keilor have a similar team to the one they had against us in round 1 I think there could be a few Doutta's boys doing a lot of chasing much like I did :p

Aren't you guys interested in 16's Div 2 or 3 footy too?

For sure. Trying to get this thread kicking along and if you want to talk about what's happening down in div 2 and 3 then I'm keen.

If Keilor have a similar team to the one they had against us in round 1 I think there could be a few Doutta's boys doing a lot of chasing much like I did :p

Hehe. We're used to that. :)

Given we are talking about U16/1 - what is peoples thoughts of best junior program in EDFL?
Surely Keilor would be number one followed by Greenvale. I base my statement on the number of teams fielded and the success of those clubs.
What does everyone else think?

Keilor and Greenvale for sure. Kids want to go and play there and teams win most of the time. Abers would be next.

All those clubs have 3 U16s teams which gives them a huge advantage over the rest who compete for spots 4 through to 8 and usually with little chance of a Premiership. That said, Douttas have attracted a lot of first year 16s to the club this year and may well just bring the club home a 16s flag in 2013 if the side sticks together.

Keilor and Greenvale for sure. Kids want to go and play there and teams win most of the time. Abers would be next.

All those clubs have 3 U16s teams which gives them a huge advantage over the rest who compete for spots 4 through to 8 and usually with little chance of a Premiership. That said, Douttas have attracted a lot of first year 16s to the club this year and may well just bring the club home a 16s flag in 2013 if the side sticks together.
Agree with every thing you have said re. KFC , Greenvale and Abers but let us not lose sight of the fact that other than the div 1 teams the rest of their teams are often playing in the wrong grades.
In any other junior comp in melb. each team would be graded and placed in an appropriate grade but not in the EDFL. e.g results for Abers u14 div 6 after 3 rnds 13 v 148, 6 v 152 , 7 v 165 will probably no doubt win a premiership but clearly in the wrong grade.

In any other junior comp in melb. each team would be graded and placed in an appropriate grade but not in the EDFL. e.g results for Abers u14 div 6 after 3 rnds 13 v 148, 6 v 152 , 7 v 165 will probably no doubt win a premiership but clearly in the wrong grade.

:thumbsu: Have to agree with this comment. ALL TEAMS should be Assessed & then Placed Accordingly within junior divisions....
In All age groups ... U10,12,14,16,18.5 :footy:

Round 4 this weekend.

Plenty of good local footy around the league.

Abers v Hillside will be interesting. My friends at Abers think they'll be a few short and might be ripe for the picking. An upset might be on the cards.

Hadfield v Strathmore should see Strathmore go 4 and 0. Somewhat surprising.

West Coburg play Greenvale and the Jets should win easily.

Touched on the Keilor v EDS game and Keilor should win going away.

In Div 2 anyone out near Taylors Lakes on the weekend might want to check out their game v Pascoe Vale. Pacco had a pretty good team a couple of years ago and that group are back together again now and looking good.

Pic of the round in Div 3 should be the local derby between Northern Saints and Glenroy.

Enjoy the weekend and get down and support your local club.

:thumbsu: Have to agree with this comment. ALL TEAMS should be Assessed & then Placed Accordingly within junior divisions....
In All age groups ... U10,12,14,16,18.5 :footy:

You have got to be kidding. Everytime there is a blow out in junior footy results we blame the EDFL. Have a good look at the grading policy of all clubs & you will see a marked difference. There is no consistency. I even make this statement re Keilor, Abers & DS.
As an example - & I am sure this correct. Keilor break their U10 sides down into competitive groups for the divisions they believe they will be in. Similar Abers. In saying this they can get it wrong ie checkout Abers U10 Div 7 & 8 results.
Both clubs do not have a policy to adjust their side if they get it wrong. When I say get it wrong forget the other clubs - I am sure Abers would not be happy with one side undefeated & the other win less as an example.
I am focusing on the big clubs as these are the clubs that tend to cause age groups & divisions to blow out when they get their grading wrong due to policy.
EDFL compound the problem by not having the fixture out earlier and the fact that they also try to manipulate the draw by moving clubs between divisions to make them more competitive. The move to three 8 team divisions (1,2,3) has been extremely positive and the grading based on ladder positions from previous year is transparent. Division 4 which is a copy of div 1 works well. After that it gets very messy and compromised. EDFL & clubs need to get together and brain storm to fix.
As far as the U18.5 as concerned - blame the clubs as they have for the last six years refused to change from the current format as they belive they get too much revenue from canteen sales before 12. Have you heard of anything more ridiculous!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back