EDFL Division 1 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. You recruit players that are going to make the your club better. All those players will make the club better. Regardless whether that's in the seniors or reserves. It's up to the individuals to determine what team they play in.
I'll eat humble pie if I'm wrong about Westy. Westie old players are turner X 2, Fenton, Trewin, Aldridge, callegari, Wilson. thats a core of the playing group too

You will see a very different looking side next year. Trewin Wilson Aldridge all retired hence the recruitment of Debritt (25 ) foster (25) and Valentine (27).
Will only have 4 players plus 30 next season and with 15 odd under 18s coming up the average age will be a lot younger.

In my opinion Oak Park will play finals. Don't think outside of Cronin those players will have much impact but their midfield is too strong not to play finals. Bloomfield and German big outs though along with not being able to secure Kite.

Danny only missed last year. If you add Cronin, Campbell and D Smith from Greenvale to a midfield off Pascu, rajab, hare, hogan (who's like a recruit played 2 games) that will help them win enough games to make finals.
You do realise that OP only missed finals by 2%. The beat every team except EDS and beat Westie twice. So if they can find a ruckman to replace Bloomfield or somehow convince him to play then I think they will be strong chance to play finals. Once u make finals anything can happen
Never said they wont make finals they proabaly will, but at the moment its cragieburn who are clear favs and they will improve again, i dont think with german and bloomfield on way out that these guys bar smith help bridge the gap between beating crazy. Its similar to westy they have probaly picked up 15 blokes over last 2 years and they have improved them but not enough to compete with likes of DS and crazy. There is a big difference between adding depth to a list and adding top end talent!

The issue isn't the points system it might be the salery cap being introduced in 2017. You don't want want to over spend because if you don't get promoted then u could find yourself in trouble for 2017 when the cap will be between 120-150 grand for divy 1. Where as premier will be 180-200

If it's around those figures, then I'm picking there will be some serious pay cuts coming up and probably a few unhappy players.

Never said they wont make finals they proabaly will, but at the moment its cragieburn who are clear favs and they will improve again, i dont think with german and bloomfield on way out that these guys bar smith help bridge the gap between beating crazy. Its similar to westy they have probaly picked up 15 blokes over last 2 years and they have improved them but not enough to compete with likes of DS and crazy. There is a big difference between adding depth to a list and adding top end talent!
Top 4 in November for me is
CB - Big Gap then

Westy
OP
Tulla
But the whole comp will be even CB clear favs

If it's around those figures, then I'm picking there will be some serious pay cuts coming up and probably a few unhappy players.

I'm hearing 2017 div 1 will be 175k. Which imo is too high. Apart from craigieburn I wouldn't think anyone is anywhere near that number. 125k - 140k would be more realistic

I'm unsure if Campbell is coming back and playing at Oak Park but he still would be more than capable of playing a role. Maybe his limited to where he can play, but his a respected player who knows how to find the footy. Yes it's great to play a lot of juniors as that's clearly the way forward, but experienced mids like Campbell are vital for finding the right mix. Young players will need time and not many young kids are inside players, so you need a good blend. Agree Campbell might be slowing down but his a smart "tough" footballer. I think it's great these types of players are still in the game as if your got something to add to the group it's going to be invaluable.

Wow 175 that is absurd i bet div 1 clubs would love to have that coin to spent

I don't think it was that high. For a great part of the year the Eagles played a lot of U18s and it was only during finals where they only played one or two.

175!! Crazy.
Northern won theirs a few years ago on 100k including players and coaches.
175 for div 1 is ridiculous.

Needs to be no more than 125 k for div 1, and this is probably too high. Current costs and player payments spiralling out of control. How can anyone compete with a club when they spend the big bucks and others can't, for whatever reason, which isn't the issue here. Perhaps afl should look at teams like abets, deer park, strath more, etc and have them play in a comp which reflects the money they spend. Fact is money decides the success of a club, if winning flags is the measure of success, and for that matter why do players and clubs play for, to win flags. Money money money, the Bain of local community football. Sorry for my rant...

Needs to be no more than 125 k for div 1, and this is probably too high. Current costs and player payments spiralling out of control. How can anyone compete with a club when they spend the big bucks and others can't, for whatever reason, which isn't the issue here. Perhaps afl should look at teams like abets, deer park, strath more, etc and have them play in a comp which reflects the money they spend. Fact is money decides the success of a club, if winning flags is the measure of success, and for that matter why do players and clubs play for, to win flags. Money money money, the Bain of local community football. Sorry for my rant...
Don't apologise goalside you have my support and I reckon you will have others who support your views.... for those clubs who simply say thanks but no thanks to players demanding massive overs good on you keep it up. Clubs drove the market prices up to have success perhaps now its up to clubs to start driving these very high prices down "Fair days pay for a fair days work"

I kind of agree but you also need a good culture & good people to win premierships not just money although it helps in a big way. Can you recall when Craigieburn went up to premier. They had more money than the majority of clubs yet could attract good players and off field people and ultimately failed and went back down. Even this year probably had the biggest player payments and the biggest recruits but couldn't pull it off. I just hope for there sake they have good club people to set standards. More so off field as you need to build a good reputation to have success at a higher level. Yes the area has a lot of juniors but you must not forget these people.
Douttas had a decent budget in premier 2014 but ended up getting relegated. Why? Probably recruited (and paid) players who did not preform to expectations.

My point is a footy club is where you should feel comfortable taking young kids to and be free to stand anywhere around the ground and enjoy the game and banter. Not listen to people with foul mouths abuse players, umpires, opposition supporters or whatever else. Yes most of these people are cowards who hide in groups, BUT clubs must react and put a stop to this. These are the better clubs in which I'm sure all hardworking footy people are trying to achieve.

These are just 2 examples of recent times that come to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty more..

So as much as I tend to agree, you can have all the money in the world but if the club is not run & managed to certain standards you will fail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive just found out who the players are that Glenroy have picked up for 2016. I will say it now, Beware of the Roys in 2016!. If i end up with egg on my face so be it! lol

Ive just found out who the players are that Glenroy have picked up for 2016. I will say it now, Beware of the Roys in 2016!. If i end up with egg on my face so be it! lol
The suspense is killing everyone on BF aussie time to divulge same names please

Douttas had a decent budget in premier 2014 but ended up getting relegated. Why? Probably recruited (and paid) players who did not preform to expectations.

They also lost a few games by a goal or less IIRC including the last one against Northern.

They also lost a few games by a goal or less IIRC including the last one against Northern.

Yes true AuckMel, 2014 Premier was a very competitive year as Douttas, Nth Saints, Marby all fighting relegation at the end of the year and Pacco were in the zone at 1 stage as well. I suppose my point was Douttas budget was higher than some of these other clubs, yet got relegated.

Yes true AuckMel, 2014 Premier was a very competitive year as Douttas, Nth Saints, Marby all fighting relegation at the end of the year and Pacco were in the zone at 1 stage as well. I suppose my point was Douttas budget was higher than some of these other clubs, yet got relegated.

True, but with just a small ounce of luck, they wouldn't have and could possibly have been challenging for a finals berth.

how about these names for a start flavel ,sullivan ,O'mear,and c roony all ex reservoir

What's the standard like in Div 3 of the NFL?

True, but with just a small ounce of luck, they wouldn't have and could possibly have been challenging for a finals berth.

What's the standard like in Div 3 of the NFL?

All four are very good div 3 players and we have to remember there will be another 14 on the ground with them so it will be good to see how they match up in the edfl

All four are very good div 3 players and we have to remember there will be another 14 on the ground with them so it will be good to see how they match up in the edfl

Fair call. Glenroy do have some very good youngsters too. Div 1 will most likely be the best of the 3 comps in the league again next year.

Fair call. Glenroy do have some very good youngsters too. Div 1 will most likely be the best of the 3 comps in the league again next year.
I dont know a lot about the resevoir boys going to roys but also take into account roys lost 4 games by under a goal in 1st half of year if they had a winter/kite along with wallace who come midyear for the season they almost make the 4, going to be very strong top 6 in this division!

I dont know a lot about the resevoir boys going to roys but also take into account roys lost 4 games by under a goal in 1st half of year if they had a winter/kite along with wallace who come midyear for the season they almost make the 4, going to be very strong top 6 in this division!

Winter fantastic pick up for the roys, however if they are relying on the 4 from div 3 NFL they are clutching at straws. How old is flavel ?

Craigieburn , Westmeadows , oak park , Tullamarine , Glenroy , who is the 6th ?

Winter fantastic pick up for the roys, however if they are relying on the 4 from div 3 NFL they are clutching at straws. How old is flavel ?

Craigieburn , Westmeadows , oak park , Tullamarine , Glenroy , who is the 6th ?
Agree with you im not to sure that some of these players are going to be the difference for them at all but do expect roys to improve and to be knocking on the door of finals, winter is a great get for the roys have not seen him play for a number of years but was a powerhouse at strathmore and im sure will be a handful!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back