EDFL Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Preseason talk was all about douttas and westy everyone said eagles couldn't go from second bottom to finals.

I believe one of the EDFL experts called us irrelevant at the start of the season and had us in 6th place. I think we're (right now) where I thought we'd be and we've backed our list to do the job.

With regards to which side gets relegated it's my opinion that both Glenroy & EK are playing youngsters which hopefully sees them stay up, as they are trying to build a future. If they were to go down you can't have a young side playing div2. As for Taylors Lakes they are probably more capable of playing div2 with their stronger bodies. Only my opinion. Interesting times. Hillside struggling a bit also but have been lucky to get they have some good young talent keeping them up maybe..

Clubs who continue to play their 18s will be better placed moving forward under a points system and salary cap in 2016. Glenroy, Hillside, Easy Keilor and the Eagles if they stay in div 1 are well placed to put together very good teams. I disagree about young sides in div 2 as the Hadfield side is full of last years top age U18s.

Do agree the umpiring isn't the best but you take the good with the bad. It's div1 after all so you won't get the best umpires.

Got no issue with bad umpires, just be consistent in your rulings.

Yesterday's game at Hillside, there was an incident in the first quarter in where Taylor's #10 was hurt and was on the ground being attended to for a while. He was put into the recovery position and then moved to the Hillside area under the coaches box. An ambulance was called. A lot of concern was held for him especially his family and brother #1. I didn't see the actual incident as was standing near the clubrooms but from what I hear he copped a knee to the head. There was a bit of push & shove after but nothing really serious. The first quarter went for about 45mins.
There was a good crowd there and a lot of spot fires throughout the game but nothing to serious and don't think there were any reports. The loss of player #10 hurt Taylor's as his there best player I'm told.
The first half was tight but in the third quarter Hillside took over and were the better side. There Jets boys went well for Hillside and #4 is a very good player.
Taylor's looked a bit slow and seemed to have a few players over the age of 28. But I'm just guessing on there age. Slow forward line.
In closing we all hope the injured player is well and makes a full recovery.
All reports are that #10 for Lakes went to hospital as a precaution which makes sense when someone has had a head/neck collision and was released from hospital last night a mate of mine said #10 being such a courageous player dived into a pack and copped the contact purely accidental and explains why the incident didn't erupt as Turbs has suggested he might be done for the season now which will be a massive blow for Lakes with some important games coming up

All reports are that #10 for Lakes went to hospital as a precaution which makes sense when someone has had a head/neck collision and was released from hospital last night a mate of mine said #10 being such a courageous player dived into a pack and copped the contact purely accidental and explains why the incident didn't erupt as Turbs has suggested he might be done for the season now which will be a massive blow for Lakes with some important games coming up

I think it's ok to name Mark Desousa who IMO is without doubt one of the most hard at it players in the comp. Glad to hear he's ok.

I think it's ok to name Mark Desousa who IMO is without doubt one of the most hard at it players in the comp. Glad to hear he's ok.

glad hear shark is ok but lakes aren't now without him... Who has harder run out the bottom 3 hey??

What an exciting end to the season we have some massive games to come for all teams finals previews relegation battles

Rnd 15 - Glenroy V Hillside
Hillside took the form of the last qtr against cburn and beat Taylors lakes. But at Sewell reserve ?

Rnd 16 - East Keilor V Taylors Lakes
Both teams under pressure - so much on the line two proud clubs. East Keilor at home?
Rnd 16 -Westmeadows V Essendon Doutta Stars
The only team eds haven't beaten. Could they keep it that way? Could meet come finals.

Rnd 16 - Oak Park V Glenroy.
Glenroy would secure survival if they do the double over the Roos. But finals bound oakerswould like nothing more than to keep winning form. Could Glenroy do the double?

Rnd 17 - Glenroy V East Keilor
I'm sure the entirety of Glenroy will be on the balcony for the final game of the season (bye r18) will be too good for East Keilor.

Rnd 17 - Westmeadows V Craigieburn
Host the top two back to back could they take a massive scalp before a finals campaign?

Rnd 18 - East Keilor V Tullamarine
Tulla might have absolutely nothing to play for so could the Cougars pure determination save them ?

So many questions for the rest of the season it's been a great competition this year. Wish every club and supporters the best of luck. Can't believe we are 14 rounds in.

Preseason talk was all about douttas and westy everyone said eagles couldn't go from second bottom to finals.

yeah that right Westi where favourite in pre season and don't Doutta have most points of any side in Victoria including even premier clubs???
Will the list they buyed stay together tight he thinks not Ol palls.

What an exciting end to the season we have some massive games to come for all teams finals previews relegation battles

Rnd 15 - Glenroy V Hillside
Hillside took the form of the last qtr against cburn and beat Taylors lakes. But at Sewell reserve ?

Rnd 16 - East Keilor V Taylors Lakes
Both teams under pressure - so much on the line two proud clubs. East Keilor at home?
Rnd 16 -Westmeadows V Essendon Doutta Stars
The only team eds haven't beaten. Could they keep it that way? Could meet come finals.

Rnd 16 - Oak Park V Glenroy.
Glenroy would secure survival if they do the double over the Roos. But finals bound oakerswould like nothing more than to keep winning form. Could Glenroy do the double?

Rnd 17 - Glenroy V East Keilor
I'm sure the entirety of Glenroy will be on the balcony for the final game of the season (bye r18) will be too good for East Keilor.

Rnd 17 - Westmeadows V Craigieburn
Host the top two back to back could they take a massive scalp before a finals campaign?

Rnd 18 - East Keilor V Tullamarine
Tulla might have absolutely nothing to play for so could the Cougars pure determination save them ?

So many questions for the rest of the season it's been a great competition this year. Wish every club and supporters the best of luck. Can't believe we are 14 rounds in.

great sum up mate nail it..... good job Ol mate

Willow where have you been? Did you go Sat?
Cmon mate there was a fair bit of talk about Craigieburn signing some good players, namely the Clokes, Young etc. Most of the talk on Douttas was about there new coach and there dispute with Glenroy over taking there players. Not sure Westy really recruited any big names from memory.

Craigieburn still a chance but if Douttas forward line stays free of injury I can't see anyone stopping Kite & Jensen at FF & CHF with Carey taking the 3rd defender in a pocket, but staying close to home for the long kick option. His still strong and intimidating if up & about. Now, not sure where Zeph Skinner is, but if he decides to stay in Melb well it's all but over as he will tear div1 to pieces. But is it to cold for Zephy.. Lol

You only have to go a few pages in to see who people were picking. Mine was Douttas, Us, Westy and Glenroy admittedly before they lost a few players.

Tables pretty much right now, with West swapping places with Oak Park. Douttas deserve to be favourites right now, but Westmeadows or Craigieburn are capable of beating them on the day.

watch the viedo doutta before amazin what you get to do on rdo
why all fuss over doutta just reckon they had a good day and once craigburn get the players back they need then different story
doutta bit ahead of themselfs and may come on done just dont look the good and when you have team full of past div 2 type player long in the teeth reckon bit top heavy
any one else think same? if they came to premier/div 1 reckon they would get pumped probably most would leave to as only gone their for money they said

any one else think same? if they came to premier/div 1 reckon they would get pumped probably most would leave to as only gone their for money they said

Is this something that happens a lot with your clubs down there, or is it just you thoughts? Surely the challenge of going up a grade and testing one's self against better players at a better standard can be fulfilling ... even if you don't see as much success in terms of four points.

How do we judge our "legends" once retired these days - through a certain standard played, loyalty, big fish/little pond syndrome or by their bank balance earned via football?

Is this something that happens a lot with your clubs down there, or is it just you thoughts? Surely the challenge of going up a grade and testing one's self against better players at a better standard can be fulfilling ... even if you don't see as much success in terms of four points.

How do we judge our "legends" once retired these days - through a certain standard played, loyalty, big fish/little pond syndrome or by their bank balance earned via football?

nah not really like northern and west coburg last 2 yrs had most home growns so stayed together and that but doutta have heaps on the team sheet that have been the modern day version of footy "sl*ts" if you no what i mean
a few of them came from a side who won a flag and nearly folder parkside,,, others have more footy jumpers in there chest of draws than socks if you no what i mean and others probly just there for the flag just one year for the fun of it just one year for premiership if you no what i mean.......

nah not really like northern and west coburg last 2 yrs had most home growns so stayed together and that but doutta have heaps on the team sheet that have been the modern day version of footy "sl*ts" if you no what i mean
a few of them came from a side who won a flag and nearly folder parkside,,, others have more footy jumpers in there chest of draws than socks if you no what i mean and others probly just there for the flag just one year for the fun of it just one year for premiership if you no what i mean.......

Oh well hopefully Craigieburn win it then, they might be actually keen to stick together and go up and give it a burl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh well hopefully Craigieburn win it then, they might be actually keen to stick together and go up and give it a burl.

Hey Doona, welcome to the EDFL thread mate. Good to read another persons views, besides me, insider and Mel. But mate you were doing so well until you mentioned you "hope" Craigieburn win it. Lol.
Oak Park have a pretty young side and are a great club. Good loyal supporters who have been there for years and working to a budget of 1/2 the "big" 2. Not sure they have the talent to match them but they will give it a good crack..

Hey Doona, welcome to the EDFL thread mate. Good to read another persons views, besides me, insider and Mel. But mate you were doing so well until you mentioned you "hope" Craigieburn win it. Lol.
Oak Park have a pretty young side and are a great club. Good loyal supporters who have been there for years and working to a budget of 1/2 the "big" 2. Not sure they have the talent to match them but they will give it a good crack..

3/4 of Westmeadows senior side are under 25. 3 x under 18s players have been given games this year and around 15 of them come up to "open age" football next year. Westmeadows also have 2 x under 16 sides with their top side in div 1 so plenty coming through. With a strong junior base I can see them well placed to be a "premier type" club if they were lucky enough to win it.

Before anyone jumps the gun, yes I agree it would be bloody tough for them but I think they are well positioned in regards to age of list and strong junior base.

3/4 of Westmeadows senior side are under 25. 3 x under 18s players have been given games this year and around 15 of them come up to "open age" football next year. Westmeadows also have 2 x under 16 sides with their top side in div 1 so plenty coming through. With a strong junior base I can see them well placed to be a "premier type" club if they were lucky enough to win it.

Before anyone jumps the gun, yes I agree it would be bloody tough for them but I think they are well positioned in regards to age of list and strong junior base.
I'm sorry cat in the hat but you obviously have no idea of the difference between A grade and B grade.
It's ok to go up one year and survive , but it's year 2,3 and 4 that it gets tougher.
The jump is enormous and its when you come back from A grade that it's even harder to get your club back up and running at a functional level.

I'm sorry cat in the hat but you obviously have no idea of the difference between A grade and B grade.
It's ok to go up one year and survive , but it's year 2,3 and 4 that it gets tougher.
The jump is enormous and its when you come back from A grade that it's even harder to get your club back up and running at a functional level.

well said just look at taylors lakes case in pint....

making a valid arguement ol DC,,, Westi in good shape could do some damage in a good catchemeant at there ground could get a few recruits, ramsay come back winter, swanny etc. etc...

making a valid arguement ol DC,,, Westi in good shape could do some damage in a good catchemeant at there ground could get a few recruits, ramsay come back winter, swanny etc. etc...

In all seriousness I wonder if Swanny would come back and play a year at West when his AFL career ends. I think he would be great if they got promoted the year he retires, as would be great to have him for first year in premier. Not sure he would waste his energy in div1 but you never know. Interesting times for West.

I do agree with the future there. See there 16s didn't make finals but they do have some talent there. Play a good brand of footy. #23 is someone with a bright future. Tall silky footballer with good pace and hands.

In all seriousness I wonder if Swanny would come back and play a year at West when his AFL career ends. I think he would be great if they got promoted the year he retires, as would be great to have him for first year in premier. Not sure he would waste his energy in div1 but you never know. Interesting times for West.

I do agree with the future there. See there 16s didn't make finals but they do have some talent there. Play a good brand of footy. #23 is someone with a bright future. Tall silky footballer with good pace and hands.

I remember someone asking him this and he basically responded, saying that it could happen but they probably couldnt afford him.

Personally I cant see Swanny bothering with local footy after hes done.

Willow where have you been? Did you go Sat?
Cmon mate there was a fair bit of talk about Craigieburn signing some good players, namely the Clokes, Young etc. Most of the talk on Douttas was about there new coach and there dispute with Glenroy over taking there players. Not sure Westy really recruited any big names from memory.

Craigieburn still a chance but if Douttas forward line stays free of injury I can't see anyone stopping Kite & Jensen at FF & CHF with Carey taking the 3rd defender in a pocket, but staying close to home for the long kick option. His still strong and intimidating if up & about. Now, not sure where Zeph Skinner is, but if he decides to stay in Melb well it's all but over as he will tear div1 to pieces. But is it to cold for Zephy.. Lol
I didn't make it to Saturdays game turbo I decided to stay home and count the posts where you say enough of this grade I'm back to premier. I had to take today off work as I was still counting

yeah that right Westi where favourite in pre season and don't Doutta have most points of any side in Victoria including even premier clubs???
Will the list they buyed stay together tight he thinks not Ol palls.
I rarely write much on here but for two days I have seen you post nothing but rubbish . You covered some good points about westy thanks for that information but please do yourself a favour an do not make comment on another club such as eds because you have made yourself look stupid . Eds have 16 quality players under the age of 23 in the senior side who majority are home grown an if there not home grown they have come across to play with there mates so suggesting they wouldn't stick around doesn't make sense to me . Have played 4 under 18 kids through out the year . They currently sit on top in the seniors /second in the reserves and well an truly on top In the 18s an 16s . i dunno about you but if the oppurtunity came to go to A grade an you had all the behind I'm sure you would be pretty happy 3 or 4 players might move on an seasons end but succefull clubs recruit for what there list needs . Can't ever remember a team going up to Agrade with the same side an being competitive .

I'm well aware of Oak Park's situation Turbo, loosely used the term "hope" as I spent a short amount of time with some of the guys across their ones and twos at Kilmore.

Benny Chapman has been a dear friend for 25 years so if his boys got lucky at the right time of the year there'd be no prouder bloke up this way than me ;)

I rarely write much on here but for two days I have seen you post nothing but rubbish . You covered some good points about westy thanks for that information but please do yourself a favour an do not make comment on another club such as eds because you have made yourself look stupid . Eds have 16 quality players under the age of 23 in the senior side who majority are home grown an if there not home grown they have come across to play with there mates so suggesting they wouldn't stick around doesn't make sense to me . Have played 4 under 18 kids through out the year . They currently sit on top in the seniors /second in the reserves and well an truly on top In the 18s an 16s . i dunno about you but if the oppurtunity came to go to A grade an you had all the behind I'm sure you would be pretty happy 3 or 4 players might move on an seasons end but succefull clubs recruit for what there list needs . Can't ever remember a team going up to Agrade with the same side an being competitive .

didn't mention age i just said you have a team of blown ins.... doubts once again way to heroish there's a long way to go and watching tape Westi or Craigieburn better when full fit and fired...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back