EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no issue with you or anyone else correcting me. As i said I have next to no idea what some of those boys are on.
I was just operating under the assumption that whoever wins is generally spending a pretty reasonable amount to field their side.
In any event, my comment certainly wasn't intended as knocking Strathmore so if it was taken as a slight, i apologise.
As for whether I should've been in bed (??) I actually was up due to having to pick someone up from the hospital. Im certainly feeling a little worse for wear now though. Lol
Alls cool. Nothing to apologise for. Must have been a very early pick up.

I admit to having nfi idea as to what the respective sides get paid. I just think that the idea that Aberfeldie would be buying a flag whilst anyone else would be doing something else is ridiculous.
Does anyone actually think that Grima x2 grew up in Tassie wishing for the ultimate success at Strathmore? Heppell in Gippsland? Douglas in Broadford? Of course not. (we're talking of a club that also spent a decent chunk of change buying out the contract of a rival clubs vice captain during the season for gods sake)
You mention various blokes recruited to Strathmore being there for a year or two as if it is any different to blokes like Johns, Hislop etc being at Aberfeldie for a comparable amount of time.
Ultimately whether a side has been "bought" or have been at the club since u12s, Premierships are incredibly difficult to win. Congratulations again to the 'Mores and all involved both on and off field.

How did Chippa Douglas go? I listened spasmodically and was following updates, was he opposed to Reimers at times? Cracking bloke Rob and I was bloody rapt to hear/read he's played in another senior flag.

Anyone else hearing that Northern Saints have asked EDFL to be relegated to Div1 as they fear the beltings may increase on 2015? I hope they don't as they did a great job to stay up in 2014, but hearing they could be going back to Div1. Could Doutta's get a reprieve?

Anyone else hearing that Northern Saints have asked EDFL to be relegated to Div1 as they fear the beltings may increase on 2015? I hope they don't as they did a great job to stay up in 2014, but hearing they could be going back to Div1. Could Doutta's get a reprieve?
If there is any truth in this, I would suspect that means theCaruso boys are moving on.

this is a rumour started by Doutta Stars, who are in denial that they are going to B Grade in 2015.

this is a rumour started by Doutta Stars, who are in denial that they are going to B Grade in 2015.

Didn't take long for this old chesnut to make an appearance. Every couple of years these rumors start about a club wanting to go down or not come up and it doesn't happen. I'd be very surprised if it did happen.

Don't think you will find it has come from Douttas, if the rumor exists at all. Douttas have excepted their fate and are starting the process under Dean Wallis of rebuilding in Division 1 next year. Yes they are disappointed but are not whinging about it.

Mal standing down certainly opens the door for a coach to come into a very talented side with talented juniors in the waiting. Don't think Abers will be the only clubs offering money to Nat and Fort. Keilor have be known to recruit within the EDFL by offering big dollars (i.e. David Callender and players from West Coburg) so don't rule them out of the biddeing war - that's if the Caruso's are leaving. Why would they leave anyway? NS stayed up in their first year and why not build on that?

Didn't take long for this old chesnut to make an appearance. Every couple of years these rumors start about a club wanting to go down or not come up and it doesn't happen. I'd be very surprised if it did happen.

Don't think you will find it has come from Douttas, if the rumor exists at all. Douttas have excepted their fate and are starting the process under Dean Wallis of rebuilding in Division 1 next year. Yes they are disappointed but are not whinging about it.

Mal standing down certainly opens the door for a coach to come into a very talented side with talented juniors in the waiting. Don't think Abers will be the only clubs offering money to Nat and Fort. Keilor have be known to recruit within the EDFL by offering big dollars (i.e. David Callender and players from West Coburg) so don't rule them out of the biddeing war - that's if the Caruso's are leaving. Why would they leave anyway? NS stayed up in their first year and why not build on that?

The influence of Dad would be pretty strong in this one and I personally can't see this happening.

If there is any truth in this, I would suspect that means theCaruso boys are moving on.

Bout as much chance of the Caruso Bros leaving NCS as the EDFL giving free entry to next years final series....no cigar on this rumour...wonder if Abers will be cursing that coaching application that went into the round filing cabinet from Clinnick and Hille when they applied a couple of years ago as a package...might have had 3 cups in that cabinet rather than one....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope but I have heard an even sillier rumour that some are calling for the Northern Saints to be relegated after the incident at junior level between them and Douttas.

Northern Saints earnt their right to remain in the Premier Division despite what that kid did. He's gone and the club want nothing to do with him and rightly so. Seems a bit like sour grapes from Douttas to me

The influence of Dad would be pretty strong in this one and I personally can't see this happening.
Yes the family ties are a huge factor, I cant see them moving to a rival edfl club but perhaps Deer Park with GAs unlimited money pile might get them accross or I would imagine that if Coburg or any VFL club is looking for a coach someone like Fort would appeal.

Abers looking to bounce quickly with the massive signing of bomber Thompson who's son Daniel plays there. He is only going to be doing part time work at essendon and will be free to coach on weekends. FACT. Also in heavy discussions with Jake King, from a very reliable source from the board at Abers. Surely 2015 will be the year they can buy a flag

Abers looking to bounce quickly with the massive signing of bomber Thompson who's son Daniel plays there. He is only going to be doing part time work at essendon and will be free to coach on weekends. FACT. Also in heavy discussions with Jake King, from a very reliable source from the board at Abers. Surely 2015 will be the year they can buy a flag

So Roger...is Johnny Larkins stepping down for Andrew Demetriou to fill the presidents shoes?????

Need to buy some players who actually care for the club and not just the pay cheque, the more you pay the more mercenaries you attract.

Its a shame that El Houli had such a shocker on the weekend, would be one of the few who actually care for the club.

If the inference here is that Abers didn't get a result on the weekend because they had a team of "mercanaries" as against a group that played to win for the club I would suggest is crap.
A lot of talk abt abt pay pkts which I would have thought becomes irrelavent when you cross the white line.
On Sat I saw two teams having a crack and it was a little hard to guess who was getting paid what.

If the inference here is that Abers didn't get a result on the weekend because they had a team of "mercanaries" as against a group that played to win for the club I would suggest is crap.
A lot of talk abt abt pay pkts which I would have thought becomes irrelavent when you cross the white line.
On Sat I saw two teams having a crack and it was a little hard to guess who was getting paid what.

Just jumped on the forum to read about the Grand Final I witnessed on saturday. I've kept a close eye on the Premier Division over past couple of years as an old club of mine play in it, not on saturday unfortunately. For mine, there was a massive difference in the way the 2 teams played even if the difference in the end was only 2 points. Strathmore looked like a team that wanted to win for each other, put their body on the line and worked very well together doing the team things. Abbers just didn't look like that. As an outsider it looked to me that they(not every player but a fair few) played individual games. They got sidetracked, led to the wrong places for the team and made some individual decisions that just looked bad on the day. To get within 2 points I think shows the talent that they have, but Strathmore definitely deserved the win and the way they hung on in the last 10 minutes showed real fight which would of made the beers tasted good Saturday night for sure.

Just jumped on the forum to read about the Grand Final I witnessed on saturday. I've kept a close eye on the Premier Division over past couple of years as an old club of mine play in it, not on saturday unfortunately. For mine, there was a massive difference in the way the 2 teams played even if the difference in the end was only 2 points. Strathmore looked like a team that wanted to win for each other, put their body on the line and worked very well together doing the team things. Abbers just didn't look like that. As an outsider it looked to me that they(not every player but a fair few) played individual games. They got sidetracked, led to the wrong places for the team and made some individual decisions that just looked bad on the day. To get within 2 points I think shows the talent that they have, but Strathmore definitely deserved the win and the way they hung on in the last 10 minutes showed real fight which would of made the beers tasted good Saturday night for sure.

No argument that the right team got the win, and the things you mention would have contributed to the Abers loss, that could happen to any team on any given day, but in my opinion any alignment between effort and pay packets is way off the mark.

Strathmore players all played for free and for the club, which is why they won.
Abers players all played for money, which is why Hislop played with a torn hammy, and why Josh Toy went back onto the field after having his nose split open by a Martian.

Lets go back to paying no one, so we can watch hack footballers run around, while the good players travel up bush for money. Abers supporters will be pissed they spent so much but couldnt win the flag, but its far better then spending s**t all and finishing bottom of the table.

Seriously - if you enjoyed watching A grade this season, say thanks to the big clubs for helping recruit good players to the league. I couldnt care less who is footing the bill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back