EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey 'Abers', not to sure if you are aware of the EDFL website, but if you had of visited the website last year whilst you were overseas you would have been clearly able to read who had been playing well and who hadn't been playing so well on a weekly basis without wading through post on post of topics you wished not too read.

This thread was created for people to express their opinions, right or wrong, for others to engage in a healthy debate.

You should be taking the positives out of living overseas last year, you didn't have to put yourself through the misery of your club losing another Grand Final in a season where they once again increased the total of outgoing funds for player payments to only get the same result as they did in 2013.

I'm not to sure if Aberfeldie FC is public enemy number one, however since you raised it they have certainly been on the end of some criticism on this thread re their recruiting policies for some time now.

You are right, they did cop some beltings in the 2000's when playing local home grown talent, but if the CLUB administration had of made a slight adjustment to their philosophies, they just may have been able to add some quality players to their playing list if they just had of taken the time and effort to shop at 'Dan Murphy's, were there is many gems to be found at a fraction of the price, it just takes a bit of patience, combined with extensive knowledge of the available product.

I'm sure most of the criticism levelled at the club in recent times has focused on the way they have gone about their recruiting, especially once the CLUB administration decided to change their philosophy re recruiting. The abundance of quality players they have been able to add to their playing list in recent years has mainly been acquired across the road at 'The Laurel', many from the top shelf, were everyone knows you have to pay top dollar, for a similar product that you may just be able to acquire elsewhere for a much reduced cost.

In most cases this philosophy is implemented by CLUB administrators in an attempt to mask inadequacies or limitations of the current administration and CLUB employees.

Aberfeldie FC certainly provides the environment where a CLUB structure that sorted, for some sort of middle ground, where supporters would be able to see a more enticing combination of both home grown talent and quality players acquired by the club which would certainly provide a sustainable environment where the club could challenge for the ultimate success for an extended period of time.

'YOU GET WHAT YOU PLAN FOR'

'INTERESTING TIMES AHEAD FOR SOME CLUBS'

Not associated with the club at all but it does seem like your taking pot shots. Regardless of what they spend or have spent, if it isn't hurting the club why does it bother you. This year the CLUB got the Seniors, Reserves, Undr 18s, and Undr 16s into grand finals, winning two of them. The juniors had a a huge showing in finals, and won their fair share of premierships as well. The year prior and the year before that were similar stories. Obviously Abers is a well run club, you may not like them, but they are well run and in my mind a successful suburban club. Who cares what who pays who.

I think it's fairly naive of you and many to judge a clubs senior a-grade side, for a whole CLUBS success. Obviously they have a great junior program, and the seniors is well run considering a sustained success over the last 3-4 years. Sometimes a premiership success is not the only indicator of success, and making consecutive grand finals is an impressive feet anyway, regardless of what team is put together.

Stop your whinging, obviously you have some grudge, and it's getting really annoying and childish. Last season Douttas spent moula and it didn't work out anywhere nearly as good, yet I hear no mention of them.

MOVING ON.

<INSERT STUPID STATEMENT WHICH MAKES ME SEEM SMART>

Shadow Master, not going to lower myself to your smart arse cheap point scoring but a couple of comments.

Firstly, I think we all know that looking at the "best" on the EDFL website is hardly the same as reading some informed analysis on games, which amazingly we do get from time to time on here.

Also not sure why would I be glad that I missed my team play in a Grand Final? Yes we lost the last game but the "journey" through the season is what local footy is all about for mine.

But Shadow Master, I'm interested in why I should be so concerned how much people at the club want to tip in to fund player payments? My spend down at the club hasn't changed over the decade since I was legally allowed to purchase tinnies on the hill and I am getting to see a much more exciting side thanks to some others seemingly being willing to part with some cash so I am pretty happy with the result.

Sure, I liked it when my mates from juniors played ones and I would prefer if we could fill the side with home grown kids and win but clearly we tried that and not only does it not work because of the level of spending in this league but you get belted every week and everyone leaves anyway.

Your whole Dan Murphy's/Laurel crap was proven to be false at Aberfeldie anyway. In the seasons proceeding our rise up the ladder we recruited a number of blokes out of country leagues/VFL that were not "name" players but as someone who just watches the games its seems to me we just couldn't get enough blokes in to get the depth needed. I assume that likes of Hislop/Johns/Michael etc are recruited not just for their football/coaching ability but also their networks and ability to influence others to join. Some of our best players in the last few years like Fox and Zach Hislop appear to have come through these networks.

Anyway last post from me on the issue, I'm clogging up the thread with the very rubbish I'm against.
You mentioned the " journey " through the season is what local football is about for you this sounds like a comment from a person who has not played or been involved in a premiership side because no one remembers the " journey " after a year or two but you never forget a premiership & you have reunions for them, you don't have reunions for the "journey" ;)

Not associated with the club at all but it does seem like your taking pot shots. Regardless of what they spend or have spent, if it isn't hurting the club why does it bother you. This year the CLUB got the Seniors, Reserves, Undr 18s, and Undr 16s into grand finals, winning two of them. The juniors had a a huge showing in finals, and won their fair share of premierships as well. The year prior and the year before that were similar stories. Obviously Abers is a well run club, you may not like them, but they are well run and in my mind a successful suburban club. Who cares what who pays who.

I think it's fairly naive of you and many to judge a clubs senior a-grade side, for a whole CLUBS success. Obviously they have a great junior program, and the seniors is well run considering a sustained success over the last 3-4 years. Sometimes a premiership success is not the only indicator of success, and making consecutive grand finals is an impressive feet anyway, regardless of what team is put together.

Stop your whinging, obviously you have some grudge, and it's getting really annoying and childish. Last season Douttas spent moula and it didn't work out anywhere nearly as good, yet I hear no mention of them.

MOVING ON.

<INSERT STUPID STATEMENT WHICH MAKES ME SEEM SMART>
Keilor
Spotswood
Strathmore
Greenvale
South Barwon
Vermont
Noble Park
Balwyn
old xavs
The list above are successful clubs & talk to anyone with knowledge of local footy to name a successful club or two from each league & l'm sure each club on list above would be mentioned well before Abers, unfortunately at this point there not but they are trying there best to change this

Last edited:
You mentioned the " journey " through the season is what local football is about for you this sounds like a comment from a person who has not played or been involved in a premiership side because no one remembers the " journey " after a year or two but you never forget a premiership & you have reunions for them, you don't have reunions for the "journey" ;)
If I was involved in a club who was forking out 400K a year on a footy department I would want more than a journey. Unfortunately in this cut throat game a clubs success is judged by the contents in the trophy cabinet. The only trophy that matters is a senior premier division cup. That's the reality.

If l was johnsy & on 2k a game l would be a lifelong person at any club, l would do anything the club ask on that money
Also would he be at the club doing the same things on $500 a game?
If I was involved in a club who was forking out 400K a year on a footy department I would want more than a journey. Unfortunately in this cut throat game a clubs success is judged by the contents in the trophy cabinet. The only trophy that matters is a senior premier division cup. That's the reality.
but... you aren't. :thumbsu:

Disagree, I reckon a good % of the EDFL clubs would be looking enviously at Keilor who just had 4 juniors develop and reach the pinnacle of being drafted into the AFL, which IMO is every bit as important as winning a flag.

Disagree, I reckon a good % of the EDFL clubs would be looking enviously at Keilor who just had 4 juniors develop and reach the pinnacle of being drafted into the AFL, which IMO is every bit as important as winning a flag.

Completely agree.

Agree on that wonderful effort to have those boys drafted Keilors trophy cabinet has a fair few silver cups in it so I guess they are the envy of the comp

Put up or shut up Shadow Master - honestly what have you achieved in your time in football? I'm sure some would be keen to know and then maybe people might take you seriously!

I'm sure many shop at Dan Murphy's purely for the "cheapies" but have no idea what they're buying too! Are you an expert on all alcohol products or simply a tight a*s who'd buy a Lindeman's Bin 50 type wine?

Personally I'd opt for a product like Wild Duck Creek Estate - might pay a bit but quality every day of the week!
I've used the point before that a Crown Lager might've been $3.70 10 years ago (at the Laurel) but probably $7.50 today.

Geez Tullamarine have been throwing $400 a week at U18 kids who haven't played senior footy yet - sign of the times mate and good on Tulla for thinking outside the square even if it doesn't pay off!

You need to get a lot right and have a lot go right to win premierships - our club has established a list over the last three/four years that has a great mix of talent (local and imported) and character.

I'll use Courtney Johns as an example - came to the club in 2012 as an "import" but will end up a lifelong Aberfeldie person. I couldn't give a stuff what Johnsy earns because he gives every cent back in spades!!!
Hey there 'stuffedupgivemeago', personally, I'm not to sure what there is to be achieved by me sharing with you what I have been able to achieve in my time in football, I am simply expressing an opinion on what I have been able to view with my very own eyes and whether you take me seriously or not definitely won't effect my sleeping patterns.

You are right! You definitely need a lot to go right to taste SUCCESS of the ultimate kind. CLUB administrators are voted in by CLUB members to make decisions on behalf of CLUB members, these very decisions form the CLUB structure which in turn hopefully provides an environment to help ensure SUCCESS of the ultimate kind is achievable. Unfortunately CLUB administrators can't afford to get a lot wrong if they desire to taste SUCCESS of the ultimate kind in an extremely competitive environment.

For the record, I am not a drinker, never have been, so all that jargon you raffled off from the top shelf means absolutely nothing to me.

Hey there 'stuffedupgivemeago', personally, I'm not to sure what there is to be achieved by me sharing with you what I have been able to achieve in my time in football, I am simply expressing an opinion on what I have been able to view with my very own eyes and whether you take me seriously or not definitely won't effect my sleeping patterns.

You are right! You definitely need a lot to go right to taste SUCCESS of the ultimate kind. CLUB administrators are voted in by CLUB members to make decisions on behalf of CLUB members, these very decisions form the CLUB structure which in turn hopefully provides an environment to help ensure SUCCESS of the ultimate kind is achievable. Unfortunately CLUB administrators can't afford to get a lot wrong if they desire to taste SUCCESS of the ultimate kind in an extremely competitive environment.

For the record, I am not a drinker, never have been, so all that jargon you raffled off from the top shelf means absolutely nothing to me.

You're talking about success being only premierships.

I'd be totally happy, and consider my club successful, if my club had all or at least most of the following:

The senior sides, and junior sides winning premierships, or making consistent finals appearances, the club being financially stable with good facilities, well run community projects and social functions, a welcoming family environment, consistently getting juniors drafted to an AFL club, etc, etc.

Sometimes regardless of what club administrators, coaches, staff, members and players do, a team won't make finals, or won't win a premiership. Sometimes it's totally out of your hands and can be a roll of the dice. Props to Abers having a crack consistently, which is a lot more that can be said for a lot of clubs in the EDFL, across all divisions.

From being involved with many leagues Riddell, Ballarat, Geelong, Bellarine and EDFL I reckon the things that make a great club stand out with all successful clubs.
. Being inclusive, with a strong passionate supporter base
. strong junior setup, developing kids to either play seniors or take the step to TAC/VFL/AFL
. Financially strong and not leveraged to one benefactor
. Strong female support and involvement within the club, and providing a very welcoming environment for wives, girlfriends, mums and kids to be part of the club
. Great coaching and a culture of winning.
. Up to date facilities

I reckon if you have all them right then success on the field will almost follow and drive a successful culture, Greenvale is probably the best example in the EDFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it ironic that the trolls on here who's aim is to get reactions and drown out decent discussion under the guise of 'an opinion' have actually had the opposite effect.

Isn't it ironic that the trolls on here who's aim is to get reactions and drown out decent discussion under the guise of 'an opinion' have actually had the opposite effect.
Good to see you post something Prophetic instead of being a cheer leader for other posters:D:D:D

Last edited:
Congrats to those 4 boys and their families, one of which i know his dad not the boy. They must be so proud. Every other club in the EDFL would never have have heard of these boys and couldn't care less where they came from. Flags are flags. Not sure the template for success has change to how many kids a particular club can get drafted from the ultimate success. Maybe Mr Maguane would be best comment. Whilst i'd imagine he'd be wishing the boys good luck and giving them every bit of advice he can. Deep down he'd be thinking "I wish they were still playing at Keilor next year".

Congrats to those 4 boys and their families, one of which i know his dad not the boy. They must be so proud. Every other club in the EDFL would never have have heard of these boys and couldn't care less where they came from. Flags are flags. Not sure the template for success has change to how many kids a particular club can get drafted from the ultimate success. Maybe Mr Maguane would be best comment. Whilst i'd imagine he'd be wishing the boys good luck and giving them every bit of advice he can. Deep down he'd be thinking "I wish they were still playing at Keilor next year".

Probably right as all four are pretty bloody good players, but it also says a lot about a clubs culture and grass roots support when this happens and should also be used, along with Premierships won, as a yardstick in judging success.

Probably right as all four are pretty bloody good players, but it also says a lot about a clubs culture and grass roots support when this happens and should also be used, along with Premierships won, as a yardstick in judging success.

It's worth mentioning that in addition to the four draftees from Keilor they also have Ivan Maric, Michael Rischetelli, Kyle Hardigan and James Sicily all an AFL lists.

What are Browne's chances of getting picked up in the rookie draft or is he back down at KFC?

I'm lead to believe that Aberfeldie FC have put a five figure package on the table for Luke Blackwell to consider, consisting of the figures $60,000. Amongst the package is a sign on fee, match payments and living assistance.

Taking this package into account, I wonder what sort of packages they will put on the table for Brock McLean and Mark Austin to consider.
$40,000 on the table for McLean. If he signs or not would it be fair to say their top 3 paid players would total more than Northern Saints entire team payments?

$40,000 on the table for McLean. If he signs or not would it be fair to say their top 3 paid players would total more than Northern Saints entire team payments?
That's why one team is near the top of the ladder & the other is near the bottom &l know which team l would rather watch each week

Blackwell worth $100k and McLean for $40k... Not sure how that makes any sense.

Also reckon Rose, Galea and some of the Pacco boys would challenge what Abers are shelling out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back