EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit harsh to involve me. I agree I'm on here a bit and formed a bit of an aliance with the insider and got dragged into a bit of by play re dimmies etc but most of my posts are pretty good, although I did step over the mark a few times. Rumour's are sometimes rumours but did give you some
Club budgets
Fairsuckofthesaucebottle turbo your figures re club budgets are absolute made up rubbish FACT

Bigj639, I actually agree with your comments relating to points systems and salary caps and have stated before that they will actually favour the already successful teams in the EDFL. However on the whole subject of equalisation its imperative that the governing bodies make some attempt to facilitate even competitions for the reasons I stated previously.Lets face it at the end of the day its all about demographics and we will always have the " Have's and Have Not's" . I feel at the very least the smaller clubs should get some assistance at a junior level where some restructuring of the junior comp would help.
On your point of volunteers being a thing of the past, sadly you are probably right and I know my club have talked about paid administrators at different times and with the turnovers involved now its probably only a matter of time.

Last edited:
Bigj639, I actually agree with your comments relating to points systems and salary caps and have stated before that they will actually favour the already successful teams in the EDFL. However on the whole subject of equalisation its imperative that the governing bodies make some attempt to facilitate even competitions for the reasons I stated previously.Lets face it at the end of the day its all about demographics and we will always have the " Have's and Have Not's" . I feel at the very least the smaller clubs should get some assistance at a junior level where some restructuring of the junior comp would help.
On your point of volunteers being a thing of the past, sadly you are probably right and I know my club have talked about paid administrators at different times and with the turnovers involved now its probably only a matter of time.
I think that this is the biggest problem with the AFL and why the type of football being played and the standard of the game are declining rapidly along with crowds and ratings. The AFL has spent 30 years trying to even out a competition and has only succeeded in producing an homogenized version of the game that is as boring as batshit. You cant touch anybody, play with any aggression or kick any goals. People are bored senseless and are changing the channel. The most successful sports in the world, Premier league, la liga, MLB, NBA etc don't worry about parity. they just play and let the game take care of itself. To your point about junior football, this is where I think we can make a huge difference in the game. However it also needs to return to a more competitive environment. We need to stop catering for mediocrity and return to elitism to ensure that the game gets played by the best at all levels. We cant afford to try and make everybody feel special and important anymore.

I think you are focusing too much on the possibility of points/salary caps delivering an equalisation of a competition (which is unlikely) rather than the more important goal of minimising top end player movement from club to club, year to year, which has destroyed many country and some suburban clubs in recent years.

In short, clubs need to have stable lists to nurture players and build loyalty. It's called having a strong club culture. The incentive of a points system is not to prevent a club from recruiting a gun player (usually done through over the odds financial offers) but to ensure that if that happens, it is counter weighted by the retention and promotion of a local player (who may not be paid much, but still gets a senior game at his local club where he played juniors).

If/when implemented and policed successfully, the under18s will hopefully see plenty of kids a year or two older than them playing seniors, and will be valued by the club for their loyalty (and lower points value!) which will enable the club to recruit a small but quality group of non-club recruits from higher leagues to maximise their chances of ultimate success.

The losers out of this will be the good ordinary local footy mercenaries who seek to flog themselves to the highest bidder but will come at a massive points cost to a club should they recruit then. It should prevent the mass exodus/arrival of players from like clubs within a competition in between season - and that is what's been killing local footy at the moment.

With the top 4 now set and relegation all but confirmed.. just trying to think of another season that has been less interesting. The finals should still provide some highlights and top quality footy but the rest of this season is almost a waste of time.

I've gotta ask, why does the edfl still persist with a top 4 ? Surely a top 5 would provide a bit more interest especially now that the top 4 is safe and relegation is basically confirmed. With a top 5 you'd still have 3 sides fighting for that 5th spot now which would create more interest. Does anyone the reason why there isn't a top 5 ?

The only way this actually works and has the desired effect is a total overhaul of the junior set up, allowing clubs like Aberfeldie to have 6 jnr teams at each level simply means they stockpile the junior talent at the expense of other clubs in the area, because of the high volume of kids paying jnr registration fees they are able to bring in better coaching, resources etc and have a better 'offering' to parents of juniors.. Then these players develop and become home grown Abers players increasing the strength of the club at the expense of others.

There needs to be a cap on jnr sides of 3 per club... now dont give me the BS that a 10 year old will be lost from footy because he now cant play in Abers 4th u/10s side, he will go down the road to Doutta, Avondale, East Keilor, Marby etc etc... I personally know people who drive there kids from Brunswick and from East Keilor to play at Abers, and ine that drives from Westmeadows to Strathmore for there kids to play because of the percieved better environment.

Until this changes the points system weighted on home grown talent will only further entrench the strong teams of Abers, Greenvale, Keilor, etc and give ambitious clubs like in the past Marby, Avondale, Pacco etc no way of competing. People thinking this will even out the comp are living in lala land because it will have the exact opposite effect.

I've gotta ask, why does the edfl still persist with a top 4 ? Surely a top 5 would provide a bit more interest especially now that the top 4 is safe and relegation is basically confirmed. With a top 5 you'd still have 3 sides fighting for that 5th spot now which would create more interest. Does anyone the reason why there isn't a top 5 ?

would be more enjoyable,, i went an watched div 1/b grade Tulla doubts today as a grade is no fun now til finals

lookin ominous hey mate,, hear warren kicked bag and jessy wells back in time jeepeRs...

Yeah mate, it was a good win. I got there just before the 1/2 time break but it was a good win by Pacco, but the result was probably expected as the Northern boys were always going to be up against it. Also looked like Caruso from Northern was carrying a bit of an injury but kept plugging away. That guy is committed.
Ben Ross good again and surely must be a big chance for the league medal. It was great to see Jesse out on the park for a full game. Big Pacco crowd there following there luncheon with the great Luke Hodge.
Big game next week against Greenvale at Greenvale. The winner takes 2nd spot..

The only way this actually works and has the desired effect is a total overhaul of the junior set up, allowing clubs like Aberfeldie to have 6 jnr teams at each level simply means they stockpile the junior talent at the expense of other clubs in the area, because of the high volume of kids paying jnr registration fees they are able to bring in better coaching, resources etc and have a better 'offering' to parents of juniors.. Then these players develop and become home grown Abers players increasing the strength of the club at the expense of others.

Just how many HOME GROWNS did they have in the team yesterday ???????????

Last edited by a moderator:

There needs to be a cap on jnr sides of 3 per club... now dont give me the BS that a 10 year old will be lost from footy because he now cant play in Abers 4th u/10s side, he will go down the road to Doutta, Avondale, East Keilor, Marby etc etc... I personally know people who drive there kids from Brunswick and from East Keilor to play at Abers, and ine that drives from Westmeadows to Strathmore for there kids to play because of the percieved better environment.

Until this changes the points system weighted on home grown talent will only further entrench the strong teams of Abers, Greenvale, Keilor, etc and give ambitious clubs like in the past Marby, Avondale, Pacco etc no way of competing. People thinking this will even out the comp are living in lala land because it will have the exact opposite effect.

Now you have very good points here. With regards to the points system if a player moves between clubs he is given a rating. But if he has played less than say 10 senior games he should be rated at 1 point otherwise stockpiling talent from juniors will become a problem. From a club perspective you must have depth at your club but not 10-15 players who could possibly play seniors at other clubs. It's great but the player becomes frustrated at lack of opportunities.

Now you have very good points here. With regards to the points system if a player moves between clubs he is given a rating. But if he has played less than say 10 senior games he should be rated at 1 point otherwise stockpiling talent from juniors will become a problem. From a club perspective you must have depth at your club but not 10-15 players who could possibly play seniors at other clubs. It's great but the player becomes frustrated at lack of opportunities.
I get where you're going but that will only lead to clubs raiding eachothers TAC cup listed players imo.
The great thing that'll come from the introduction is that it'll reduce the fixation that this comp has with ex AFL listed players and place the onus on clubs to develop their people.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get where you're going but that will only lead to clubs raiding eachothers TAC cup listed players imo.
The great thing that'll come from the introduction is that it'll reduce the fixation that this comp has with ex AFL listed players and place the onus on clubs to develop their people.

Not sure why having ex AFL players is a negative thing, these guys have got to play footy somewhere one there careers are finiahed and why not have them in the edfl

Hey BJ, good point. I was meaning more if someone was playing twos and not getting opportunities. So maybe it should be looked at in someway.
Ex AFL players are very important to clubs and should really assist the younger players coming through as they pass on there knowledge. Someone like Ben Ross and Daniel Harris have provided so much to a club like Pascoe Vale in driving standards etc. Ross accepted the captaincy and is a role model. Yes I accept that Pacco haven't got a lot of long serving players (except Tydelll, Vesnaver) so it was going to be someone new but his a beauty.
Recruiting ex AFL players can backfire, like a Sherman, but overall they are good for the competition if they play with passion for their club rather than just play for the $$ and not give anything back. But I know what your saying as they all come at a price.

I also think Johns, Reimers, Blake have been good for Abers. I personally was sceptic of a player like Riemers, but he does play with passion from what I seen. Sticks around after games as well. Blake won a comp medal, and ruckman will always cost you more than their market value.

Holland was great at Marby as was Livingston..
Browne has been a standout at Keilor.
Harris, Urquart & Contessa were great for APW. *i know they left but APW for better for having them.

Hopefully we see all these players still in the EDFL, stay at their clubs for years to come..

Exactly, ex AFL players like Johnny Hassal, Anthony Aloi and Steve Paxman have become entrenched into the fabric of the Greenvale FC.. Scotty Lucas was good fun if only for a short time and McPhee didnt quite work out but cant win them all.

Not sure why having ex AFL players is a negative thing, these guys have got to play footy somewhere one there careers are finiahed and why not have them in the edfl
Having ex AFL players isn't a negative thing, not allowing pathways for the young people from the surrounding area is though. There needs to be a better balance to it all than what we see at times at local footy clubs.

Yeah mate, it was a good win. I got there just before the 1/2 time break but it was a good win by Pacco, but the result was probably expected as the Northern boys were always going to be up against it. Also looked like Caruso from Northern was carrying a bit of an injury but kept plugging away. That guy is committed.
Ben Ross good again and surely must be a big chance for the league medal. It was great to see Jesse out on the park for a full game. Big Pacco crowd there following there luncheon with the great Luke Hodge.
Big game next week against Greenvale at Greenvale. The winner takes 2nd spot..

how many at your lunch turbo? did you have a feed and a few brewskis Ol mate??

Hey BJ, good point. I was meaning more if someone was playing twos and not getting opportunities. So maybe it should be looked at in someway.
Ex AFL players are very important to clubs and should really assist the younger players coming through as they pass on there knowledge. Someone like Ben Ross and Daniel Harris have provided so much to a club like Pascoe Vale in driving standards etc. Ross accepted the captaincy and is a role model. Yes I accept that Pacco haven't got a lot of long serving players (except Tydelll, Vesnaver) so it was going to be someone new but his a beauty.
Recruiting ex AFL players can backfire, like a Sherman, but overall they are good for the competition if they play with passion for their club rather than just play for the $$ and not give anything back. But I know what your saying as they all come at a price.

I also think Johns, Reimers, Blake have been good for Abers. I personally was sceptic of a player like Riemers, but he does play with passion from what I seen. Sticks around after games as well. Blake won a comp medal, and ruckman will always cost you more than their market value.

Holland was great at Marby as was Livingston..
Browne has been a standout at Keilor.
Harris, Urquart & Contessa were great for APW. *i know they left but APW for better for having them.

Hopefully we see all these players still in the EDFL, stay at their clubs for years to come..

how you think Pacco would going this yr if Sherman was still round mate??? just interest y

how many at your lunch turbo? did you have a feed and a few brewskis Ol mate??

I was told every seat was full mate and they all stayed for the game and most hung around for the after match. Think they got 150 in.
Nah mate i had a prior footy commitment and didn't get to the ground till just before 1/2 time.

Big couple of games coming up for Pacco.

Exactly, ex AFL players like Johnny Hassal, Anthony Aloi and Steve Paxman have become entrenched into the fabric of the Greenvale FC.. Scotty Lucas was good fun if only for a short time and McPhee didnt quite work out but cant win them all.

Yes mate good points. And to see Paxman go back to Greenvale just shows it can work. He must have left on good terms to be able to go back to his first club. To my knowledge he didn't take any players with him either way, so he must be someone of high integrity. But I don't know him or anything, so it's just an outsiders view.

Your starting me up Ol mate, surely.
We would be sitting 8th probably. Lol
I don't wish to revisit this Sherman thing as its not worth it.

ok mate sorry forgot touchy subject just meant someone like sherman obvious can play and got ky bombers going well i just mean player with sherman attributes would he ad anything to your strong team,, i never saw him last yr as didnt play against the mores both games

I was told every seat was full mate and they all stayed for the game and most hung around for the after match. Think they got 150 in.
Nah mate i had a prior footy commitment and didn't get to the ground till just before 1/2 time.

Big couple of games coming up for Pacco.

great work there ol mate and obvious Pacco flyin alonmg nice,,, i reckon you will win your next 2 and sow up the top 2 spot and you win the last 2 easy enough

ok mate sorry forgot touchy subject just meant someone like sherman obvious can play and got ky bombers going well i just mean player with sherman attributes would he ad anything to your strong team,, i never saw him last yr as didnt play against the mores both games

Yeah mate, that's the problem he didn't play against a lot of sides. As per where your going with this, you would assume a player like him would dominate local metro footy but didn't set the world on fire. The most expensive forward pocket player in the history of EDFL. Haha.
Could give you more, but you only need to look at his stats in the EDFL & GVFL to make your own assessments..
Ok that's enough pls mate!! Lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back