EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Puff...I can address your concerns one at a time.

Yes there will be some initial kids who get told they cannot be accommodated by clubs who have excessive numbers. This is unfortunate and some kids tears will be shed in year 2018 but as adults we understand the greater good and realise the competition is worth preserving. This can be explained to kids. And once this teething stage is over this will no longer be an issue.

But from that point on everyone understands the rules and parents will make the required adjustments. Kids love football will stay involved. Another idea is to start in Year 1 with restrictions in U16's and work your way down each year after so the number of kids impacted is reduced as typically it is U10's and U12's that have 3,4,5 teams at one club. I prefer the tough version as we would all get over it quicker.

This is not an easy solution. And it is not about punishing clubs that are well run and have terrific support. Successful clubs deserve to be commended. We are talking about keeping clubs alive with long histories that are inexorably linked to their communities. Once a club is gone... it's gone. This is about creating a stronger EDFL. Both junior and senior competitions.

Unsure of the reference to Lancefield who are in the RDFL. I don't know anything about the junior set ups in that league. But there are countless examples that are probably similar in the EDFL in all 3 divisions. Remember this is about keeping the EDFL family strong, giving opportunities to clubs to experience success and forge loyalties with their juniors which may result in senior success.

Clubs should still be able to buy big name blow ins. I reckon it's great. Watching Reimers take hangers and give the crowd the bird is terrific. So is seeing Browne, Warren and Lower dominate. Great stuff. Fists full of dollars. Good on them. They give something most can't.

Fix the juniors. The rest will take care of itself.

This still doesn't cover the issue of being forced to send your kids to a club you may not want to. I think parents and their kids have a right to play at a club they want to play at.

The amount of teams participating in the EDFL has grown to over 300 with growth over each of the last three years, helped by the addition of new teams, the Under 8 competition, Thirds and girls football mind you but still with growth regardless.

Surely this is healthy for the state of the game and the role the EDFL plays in it.

Like I said yesterday if clubs are capped I believe it'll impact participation levels and has your model been tested in a league before, if so how'd it perform?

Secondly what has been the plus and minus of club teams across all divisions over the past decade?
For example - has Keilor stagnated at 20 teams and has Pascoe Vale grown from 10 to 12? If so what's the issue? Your point is let's rob clubs like Aberfeldie and Keilor of 4 teams each so Pascoe Vale has 16 teams and Tullamarine can have 10!!

The quality of the football at the pinnacle of the EDFL is the best it's ever been, we have a competitive Division 1 and we now have a Third Division where sides like Jacana now actually win games of football and get some enjoyment from the game compared to getting smashed by 30 goals week in week out.

I can see all that being maintained and growing with a points system and with a salary cap and without penalising clubs junior programs but that's just my view!

Trent- the allocated points will be based on the level of competition I believe. The EDFL premier could not work to 30points under the current player ratings. The top 6 clubs would run out with 8-10 players each week mate. If you recruit 4 players out of the VFL system it's 20points. Say a couple from other clubs and it's 28 points. Well thereabouts..
The EDFL, GFL, GVFL etc will have 60points most likely. If your higher now you need to bring it down over time or seen to be making an effort.
It's really a trial process in the first few years.
The points system just encourages you to pay your good talented homegrowns over their value to keep them, so your points stay within the cap or play kids that are not ready therefore the standard drops and clubs fall away. Im not sure what's wrong with the competition as it is. Yes certain clubs have gone crazy and spending ridiculous amount of money but not sure what the points system brings bar more headaches for clubs.
The Afl needs to be looking into the junior structures at clubs and why some clubs struggle to get juniors. The juniors need to be fixed and levelled out not the seniors. The juniors are the clubs future not stopping talent from higher leagues coming into your league.

Any chance of Pacco playing a local instead of being a retirement fund fund for ex afl players turbs, the idea of the points system is to have a core of 12-16 locals and top up with some recruits. That is how you get under 60 points even 40 turbo would not be that hard.
Has Pacco played any of their best 3rds in the ones, to get them ready for seniors, give them a taste, I'm sure they would improve learning off players like Ross and Harris.
Just remember if you are a gun junior it does not mean you will be a good senior player, so I think you are overreacting talking about the number of junior clubs each club has, you only need 22 to field a senior team, if you had 4 junior teams that's still 80 to pick for each age group, if u can't find a core group of players to build your side around there's something wrong. And just remember watto will be a 1pointer next year so you may have a local play.

heard from Harry at the hairdresser that might michael McGuane will in fact coach Keilor again in 16.. 17 and discuss about 18 going on.... Mores rumour as coach unlikely was truth at any stage but heard that rumour from Barry at the Bait shop and i wont be buying my pippies from Ol mate Baz no more but will be getting Harry to cut the main.... Lol

Turbo, Pacco had a large exit of players at the end of 2013 with basically all the locals walking out. Would they be looking at getting some of them back next year to help with the points system? Have a couple home growns running around in the heathcote league having great years. Don't think many of the reservoir players would be up to it

Any chance of Pacco playing a local instead of being a retirement fund fund for ex afl players turbs, the idea of the points system is to have a core of 12-16 locals and top up with some recruits. That is how you get under 60 points even 40 turbo would not be that hard.
Has Pacco played any of their best 3rds in the ones, to get them ready for seniors, give them a taste, I'm sure they would improve learning off players like Ross and Harris.
Just remember if you are a gun junior it does not mean you will be a good senior player, so I think you are overreacting talking about the number of junior clubs each club has, you only need 22 to field a senior team, if you had 4 junior teams that's still 80 to pick for each age group, if u can't find a core group of players to build your side around there's something wrong. And just remember watto will be a 1pointer next year so you may have a local play.
Turbo, Pacco had a large exit of players at the end of 2013 with basically all the locals walking out. Would they be looking at getting some of them back next year to help with the points system? Have a couple home growns running around in the heathcote league having great years. Don't think many of the reservoir players would be up to it

Gday Trent, how's the flight business mate?

Ok I will do my best to provide you some information. First of all what do we class as homegrown? I believe it's a person who has played a minimum of 4 years in your juniors and probably has finished there juniors at your club.
Therefore there would be not many metro clubs in the top divisions that would have 10-12 homegrown juniors in there senior best 25. Even the clubs who have the best juniors don't have these numbers.Definitely none in the EDFL however some clubs "might" believe otherwise!!
Now Pacco have a small number of homegrowns currently in there senior side (Saturday's team only had 3) but totally agree it would be great to have more. Our reserve side is mostly full of homegrowns though to my knowledge. Mate it would be great to increase this number over the next 5 years and hold the majority or players we have currently on our list. We are trying to build a strong and professional club and have set up a good base over the last 2 years with some success this year so far by insuring we will play finals.
We also need to understand to move forward with any good junior pathway you must have a reasonable senior list, which brings in sponsors, juniors and supporters. You can't just play 10-12 homegrowns if that might mean you could be relegated as we are a premier club.

47 Monkeys - yes Pacco did appoint a club legend as coach in 2014 in where there was a bit of a list review and some players which were homegrown decided to move on. This was due to different opinions between player and coach. I'm sure the coach wanted to keep some of these homegrown players but they decided to accept better "offers" to play in the country. That's footy I guess and we wish them well and hope they come back to Pacco as some of them can play, but everyone needs to understand what there worth. You can't win by trying to match bigger offers and end up paying players overs.
Most that left for Reservoir went with the coach. I wasn't around back in 2012-13 when they left, but if you want to go from premier to div3 NFL then

Sorry a sent to early.

Mate we are no retirement home as nearly all our recruits over the past 2 years are under 27 so we are trying to build a future. Ross, Warren, Veszpremi etc all under 27. The club really hopes these players stick around for many years and that's the culture we want. Yes we have I think 3 players over 30 that add experience.
It would be great to get Watson back but who knows. His young and might get another chance at AFL who knows. His just what we need for next year.
The coach has played some 18s throughout the last 2 years but really doubt we could get 12-16 homegrowns in our senior team. All sounds good in theory but our 18s can't produce these numbers each year. As I said even the Abers, Keilors etc don't have these numbers.

I don't wish to start debates but let's clarify what is a homegrown?? It's a junior that's come up through your junior program. Some clubs think it's someone you recruit and they stay for 4+ years. This is not a homegrown but a loyal player. This players are also worth having around and what we are all looking for.

So in closing it would be great to have 6-10 homegrowns, 10-14 loyal players, and some new recruits. You still must recruit to keep the list fresh and vibrant. Getting a Ross, Warren, Jackson etc gets the club up & about and then keeping guys like Tydell, TK are also so important.

Sorry a sent to early.

Mate we are no retirement home as nearly all our recruits over the past 2 years are under 27 so we are trying to build a future. Ross, Warren, Veszpremi etc all under 27. The club really hopes these players stick around for many years and that's the culture we want. Yes we have I think 3 players over 30 that add experience.
It would be great to get Watson back but who knows. His young and might get another chance at AFL who knows. His just what we need for next year.
The coach has played some 18s throughout the last 2 years but really doubt we could get 12-16 homegrowns in our senior team. All sounds good in theory but our 18s can't produce these numbers each year. As I said even the Abers, Keilors etc don't have these numbers.

I don't wish to start debates but let's clarify what is a homegrown?? It's a junior that's come up through your junior program. Some clubs think it's someone you recruit and they stay for 4+ years. This is not a homegrown but a loyal player. This players are also worth having around and what we are all looking for.

So in closing it would be great to have 6-10 homegrowns, 10-14 loyal players, and some new recruits. You still must recruit to keep the list fresh and vibrant. Getting a Ross, Warren, Jackson etc gets the club up & about and then keeping guys like Tydell, TK are also so important.

Greenvale have up to 15 home grown players in there team that have played all of there junior footy at the club
Rohan
Thompson x 2
Burns
Sardo
Maric x 2
Burns
Gazzo
Zumbo
Farchione
Johnson
Micevski
Parthenopoulos
J smith
Bonello x 2
There may be more

Greenvale have up to 15 home grown players in there team that have played all of there junior footy at the club
Rohan
Thompson x 2
Burns
Sardo
Maric x 2
Burns
Gazzo
Zumbo
Farchione
Johnson
Micevski
Parthenopoulos
J smith
Bonello x 2
There may be more

Greenvale probably have the most "homegrown" players playing seniors but not around 15 to my knowledge. Not sure all these names are in Greenvales best 25.

Agree with you all in that Pacco need more homegrowns, but Abers are sitting undefeated and probably 6-8 goals better than the second best team. Would be a perfect opportunity to have played more juniors or to include them as part of your best 22.
Who would an interested observer rather follow. Abers are expected to win it and anything less will be a bad result for the club as they have recruited for a premiership rather than develop from within. Pacco although they have recruited a lot of players will be seen as have improved from where they came from. If they can win even 1final it will be a victory for the club.

Interesting but that's my thoughts and I'm not having a go at Abers as there management are more smarter than me on footy so guess they know where there heading.

BTW: yes we can all spruik homegrown but how many are going to be in your best side come finals. Let's see..

That's it from me on this subject.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gday Trent, how's the flight business mate?

Ok I will do my best to provide you some information. First of all what do we class as homegrown? I believe it's a person who has played a minimum of 4 years in your juniors and probably has finished there juniors at your club.
Therefore there would be not many metro clubs in the top divisions that would have 10-12 homegrown juniors in there senior best 25. Even the clubs who have the best juniors don't have these numbers.Definitely none in the EDFL however some clubs "might" believe otherwise!!
Now Pacco have a small number of homegrowns currently in there senior side (Saturday's team only had 3) but totally agree it would be great to have more. Our reserve side is mostly full of homegrowns though to my knowledge. Mate it would be great to increase this number over the next 5 years and hold the majority or players we have currently on our list. We are trying to build a strong and professional club and have set up a good base over the last 2 years with some success this year so far by insuring we will play finals.
We also need to understand to move forward with any good junior pathway you must have a reasonable senior list, which brings in sponsors, juniors and supporters. You can't just play 10-12 homegrowns if that might mean you could be relegated as we are a premier club.

47 Monkeys - yes Pacco did appoint a club legend as coach in 2014 in where there was a bit of a list review and some players which were homegrown decided to move on. This was due to different opinions between player and coach. I'm sure the coach wanted to keep some of these homegrown players but they decided to accept better "offers" to play in the country. That's footy I guess and we wish them well and hope they come back to Pacco as some of them can play, but everyone needs to understand what there worth. You can't win by trying to match bigger offers and end up paying players overs.
Most that left for Reservoir went with the coach. I wasn't around back in 2012-13 when they left, but if you want to go from premier to div3 NFL then

Turbo, think youre a little off with your figures.

West Coburg had 19 out of 22 home grown players on the weekend, would be hard pressed to find another team that would come close…

***Seniors***

Morano – Home grown
F.Akkari – Home grown
M.Saad – Home grown
J.Gloury – Home grown
M.Abdulwahed – Home grown
M.Hammoud – From MV playing with his best mates
J.Martini – Home grown
O.Saad – Home grown
O.Abdallah – Home grown
B.Thomson – First year at the club
A.HumidSaad – Home grown
S.Macaodha – Home grown
T.Baravi – Home grown
B.Drummond – Home grown
B.Hopkins – Home grown (been at the club for 5/6years)
T.Watterson – Home grown (been at the club for 4/5years)
T.Drake – Home grown
J.Drake – Home grown
D.Mcmillan – Home grown
F.Akkari – Home grown
A.Fitaax – Home grown
T.Pryde - First year at the club

West Coburg had 19 out of 22 home grown players on the weekend, would be hard pressed to find another team that would come close…

***Seniors***

Morano – Home grown
F.Akkari – Home grown
M.Saad – Home grown
J.Gloury – Home grown
J.Martini – Home grown
O.Saad – Home grown
O.Abdallah – Home grown
A.HumidSaad – Home grown
S.Macaodha – Home grown
T.Baravi – Home grown
B.Drummond – Home grown
T.Drake – Home grown
J.Drake – Home grown
D.Mcmillan – Home grown
F.Akkari – Home grown
A.Fitaax – Home grown

Ok Subway, fair enough mate. In all seriousness that great for club and the future. But looking ahead say 2-3 years, if West Coburg want to challenge for top 4 in premier how many of these home grown would still get a game. West Coburg have done well in their 1st year back up but every club has a plan to play finals at some stage so it's a fair question I think.,

Mate, why is the game v Pacco next week at Shore and not Coburg as Coburg are not playing home?

Cheers mate.

Hutchy, your good. I do cop a bit of sh## on big footy but if I don't write anything what's there to read. Haha

Being at a club for a few years does not = home grown. They are just loyal players, there is a difference.

Home growns are players who have played from juniors and now play seniors, simples.

Rohan
Thompson x 2
Burns
Sardo
Maric x 2
Burns
Gazzo
Zumbo
Farchione
Johnson
Micevski
Parthenopoulos
J smith
Bonello x 2
There may be more

Knighta
Wellington
Little
Mayzy
Rae
Allison
Purcell
Foulds
Ingelton
Elliott
Van Meel
Kennedy
Sinnott
Horne
Wints (loyal from Westi)
Arrow (loyal)
Staudt
Pignolet
Rule
Stapelton

Mores win

There's no rulebook for running/managing a club. Each club is competing as best they can with what they have been dealt.
Some are blessed with generous sponsors whereas others are fortunate enough to be situated in a fantastic catchment zone so will be reasonably strong on the back of their juniors, ultimately each and every club deserves respect for giving it a crack.
That said, West Coburg certainly deserve kudos for such strong junior representation in their senior side.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sinnott= Tulla

got me,,, tried.. Lol

There's no rulebook for running/
managing a club. Each club is competing as best they can with what they have been dealt.
Some are blessed with generous sponsors whereas others are fortunate enough to be situated in a fantastic catchment zone so will be reasonably strong on the back of their juniors, ultimately each and every club deserves respect for giving it a crack.
That said, West Coburg certainly deserve kudos for such strong junior representation in their senior side.

Sensible,, true and well said... Onya mate...

Greenvale probably have the most "homegrown" players playing seniors but not around 15 to my knowledge. Not sure all these names are in Greenvales best 25.

Agree with you all in that Pacco need more homegrowns, but Abers are sitting undefeated and probably 6-8 goals better than the second best team. Would be a perfect opportunity to have played more juniors or to include them as part of your best 22.
Who would an interested observer rather follow. Abers are expected to win it and anything less will be a bad result for the club as they have recruited for a premiership rather than develop from within. Pacco although they have recruited a lot of players will be seen as have improved from where they came from. If they can win even 1final it will be a victory for the club.

Interesting but that's my thoughts and I'm not having a go at Abers as there management are more smarter than me on footy so guess they know where there heading.

BTW: yes we can all spruik homegrown but how many are going to be in your best side come finals. Let's see..

Nup... Mores

Last edited by a moderator:
Turbo, whilst I think I agree with your thoughts on this home grown topic, can I just clarify you perfect model. For mine, not the West Coburg model stated above.
Mentioned on here previously Strathmore had 12-14 home growns in last years premiership side. Obviously the other 10 or so were quality players but would I be right in saying 5-6 of the home growns would have been in there top 10. Not easily done i know but having 4 home growns in your top 10 is gold as they stay home. Recruits come and go. Your thoughts Turbo?

Ok Subway, fair enough mate. In all seriousness that great for club and the future. But looking ahead say 2-3 years, if West Coburg want to challenge for top 4 in premier how many of these home grown would still get a game. West Coburg have done well in their 1st year back up but every club has a plan to play finals at some stage so it's a fair question I think.,

Mate, why is the game v Pacco next week at Shore and not Coburg as Coburg are not playing home?

Cheers mate.

Hutchy, your good. I do cop a bit of sh## on big footy but if I don't write anything what's there to read. Haha
I would guess Junior Grand Finals @ Coburg

Your a hit all over the shop, Turbo. Early in the year it was all about homegrowns and developing your own but when it get called out that Pacco have * all homegrowns you claim you can't win anything with too many homegrowns.

You were also spraining early on that Pacco would be pushing Abers for the flag but now you've dropped off you claim the club would just be happy to win a final.
Let's be honest, Pacco have recruited to make a massive push for the flag, anything other than a gf spot would be a failure.

One other thing, are you involved at Pacco or just a keen supporter ?
Have you got a family member playing there ?
How long have you followed and why so keen to see them succeed ?

***Seniors***

Morano – Home grown
F.Akkari – Home grown
M.Saad – Home grown
J.Gloury – Home grown
J.Martini – Home grown
O.Saad – Home grown
O.Abdallah – Home grown
A.HumidSaad – Home grown
S.Macaodha – Home grown
T.Baravi – Home grown
B.Drummond – Home grown
T.Drake – Home grown
J.Drake – Home grown
D.Mcmillan – Home grown
F.Akkari – Home grown
A.Fitaax – Home grown

Morano not home grown. Douttas boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back