EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Full Time @EDFLfooty 16.13.109 @SouthernFL 4.4.28
EDFL too much class on the day. Galea (5 goals), Tanner, Browne, Iacobucci, Cravino, Joyce, Brewer and Fort Caruso all important.

I posted this on the NFL thread with regards to getting people back into footy clubs. Thought I would share my views.

Running footy clubs these days is a bloody tough gig even with a lot of helpers..
I know this is only a small thing but I mentioned on another league thread that I have noticed an increase in beer prices at local footy. Stubby of draught now $4:80. Now I always buy from the clubs but to me this is a bit steep. Does this encourage supporters to bring there own beer, sit on the boundary line and then leave straight after the game? Need to get them into the club and entice them to be involved.

Ideas - Throw on some free finger food at 6:30 so if people have kids they can eat something. Put the lights on so kids can kick a footy as that's what we used to do back in the day. Need to get families back into club footy..
Fri / Sat night $5 kids meals..

Anyway it's just a small thing I've picked up on in local footy in all leagues.

Here's my div1 post.. What the views of big footy followers!!

Put Craigieburn into premier now and ask if any premier club wants to go down.. I'm half joking but it would be interesting to see if any premier club would take up the opportunity if it was offered.. In the end we all want even competion across the divisions.

I hear Northern Saints 18s got thrashed by Glenroy so do they have good youngsters coming through. I'm concerned after hearing about an 18s game last year that we don't see a repeat of this..

Here's my div1 post.. What the views of big footy followers!!

Northern Saints worked very hard to get to the Premier Division.. they are not going to just volunteer to go down. They intend to stay in the Premier division

This is why I believe a club in it's first year moving up a division should not be relegated if they finish bottom in the higher division in their first year. Clubs need a chance to settle into a higher division.

This is why I believe a club in it's first year moving up a division should not be relegated if they finish bottom in the higher division in their first year. Clubs need a chance to settle into a higher division.

Not sure about this idea as clubs should have a plan for when they go up.
Let's use Craigeburn this year. It appears they have planned to win and go up but I hope they have not spent to much and then next year have a smaller budget to work with. It's also about getting the right players which I think Craigieburn have done..
It's bloody hard in premier. Let's use 2 recent examples:
Douttas- recruited heavily in 2014 but maybe they spent big on the wrong players who were found out in premier.
Northern Saints- have lost some good players (capable of playing premier) to clubs in lower divisions. Can only assume they don't have the $$ to keep them or the players prefer to play in a lower division.

Not sure about this idea as clubs should have a plan for when they go up.
Let's use Craigeburn this year. It appears they have planned to win and go up but I hope they have not spent to much and then next year have a smaller budget to work with. It's also about getting the right players which I think Craigieburn have done..
It's bloody hard in premier. Let's use 2 recent examples:
Douttas- recruited heavily in 2014 but maybe they spent big on the wrong players who were found out in premier.
Northern Saints- have lost some good players (capable of playing premier) to clubs in lower divisions. Can only assume they don't have the $$ to keep them or the players prefer to play in a lower division.

From what I've heard, I'm not sure if the Saints had enough $$$, but the players were asking for more than what they were worth. After watching them on Saturday, they had at least 10 blokes out with injury and still showed good signs against Glenroy playing with a large group of twos and thirds players. I wouldn't be surprised if they caught out a few good sides again this year.

Stupid and ridiculous suggestion, of all the teams that have come up after winning B Grade flag in recent memory, the only one who wasnt competitive was Glenroy and they had exceptional circumstances.

Plenty of sides in B grade have loaded up with stars and not got the chocolates. Tooke Marby 3 goes, Pacco took a couple of goes to get up.

Stupid and ridiculous suggestion, of all the teams that have come up after winning B Grade flag in recent memory, the only one who wasnt competitive was Glenroy and they had exceptional circumstances.

Plenty of sides in B grade have loaded up with stars and not got the chocolates. Tooke Marby 3 goes, Pacco took a couple of goes to get up.
So you have forgotten Taylors Lakes wonderful 18 weeks in the top div already

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you have forgotten Taylors Lakes wonderful 18 weeks in the top div already

Sorry that was an oversight, think I was backpacking Europe that year so forgot about the Lakers.. Still 2 teams in the past 15 years shows the system works.

Sorry that was an oversight, think I was backpacking Europe that year so forgot about the Lakers.. Still 2 teams in the past 15 years shows the system works.
Thinking back to their results that year most of em must have been over there with you

Bulldog plays for NCS, enough said Turbo! hhaahha
Keep that nonsense to yourself.
Northern earned the respect of many people for their efforts last season, it just goes to show that a bunch of blokes playing for eachother can still compete in this league of skyrocketing player payments.
As for Turbos pondering, all clubs in the Premier division have deservedly won their place in that division and I doubt any of them at this juncture would consider giving that up.

From what I've heard, I'm not sure if the Saints had enough $$$, but the players were asking for more than what they were worth. After watching them on Saturday, they had at least 10 blokes out with injury and still showed good signs against Glenroy playing with a large group of twos and thirds players. I wouldn't be surprised if they caught out a few good sides again this year.

I went down to watch this local game. There was a good vibe. Watched half of the seconds game and the main game, although was told that the game before was made up of fisrt year U18's, which formed the bulk of the Northerns team, with most of the 18's from last year having gone up to open age. Just on the A Grade issue, speaking to a number of Northern Saints people, they relish being in A Grade. They speak with grade pride and their plans going forward, despite the challenges clubs at the lower end of the table face. They are banking on a point's system coming into place which they feel will allow them to compete on a more even playing field but when clubs pay just over a $100k as they seemingly do, it's always going to be hard in a competition that is dominated by the almighty dollar. They did lose a couple of their gun forwards but stood their ground in not paying overs, but still are disappointed those boys left and hope they will return home when they are ready.

Just a couple of things, I did see a stouche in the seconds game and I have to admit the two Glenroy fellas that were umpiring did a brilliant job of keeping the peace. Sign them up for EDFL umpiring duty, they were very good. Not a bad stouche either, but suggest both Glenroy and Northern seem well versed in this area. It was no place for the faint hearted let me tell you, although there was good spirits after all the games. Well done to both clubs. And yes, Glenroy 2's only won by a goal or two, the game was very close, having said that so was the senior game, but Northern will go alright this year, no world beaters but should manage to stay up again and build from there. Glenroy will be solid but again, the recruitment of dollar spend by other div 1 clubs will hurt their chances significantly. Money, the bain of all evil in local football!

By the way i hope that the fellow that injured his leg is alright in I know a few of the Northern people were concerned for him. I heard he broke his leg in two places? Wish him speedy recovery.

Northern earned the respect of many people for their efforts last season, it just goes to show that a bunch of blokes playing for eachother can still compete in this league of skyrocketing player payments.
As for Turbos pondering, all clubs in the Premier division have deservedly won their place in that division and I doubt any of them at this juncture would consider giving that up.
I agree, striving to be in Premier is surely the goal for all clubs, West Coburg will do well in 2015.

G'day BlueJet,
Like your post and Joey Montoro's. I just wanted to clear up I never mentioned any clubs nor did I think a club should go down. Was just wondering (or pondering) if it was to happen would someone consider it. Agree probably not this year but if a club was struggling and going to battle for certain reasons isn't it an option to at least be competitive rather than cop hiding each week. It's no good for the comp, club and players. Anyway this could only happen if a club wanted to go up to premier at late notice and then what if 2 clubs wanted to go up, there's another problem.

Anyway it's a different conversation and created a bit of chat. Now we move on.

FYI- I don't know who it was that made a comment on BF but it wasn't Bluejet, but want to say to you all don't believe all you hear boys. Stocco might have left as wanted some extra coin but that's his right.. Maybe he needed some extra cash for the family but who knows! But I can tell you he didn't go to the club who offered the most as I believe some premier clubs made some offers. Maybe he didn't want to play against his old side out of respect for what they achieved on a low budget.
He also is a very good player as shown by his results last year in premier. I don't believe his getting paid more than his worth, but maybe a fair price. You need to be careful here as from what I hear his a good guy so potting blokes like him are a bit unfair.

Anyway enjoy your BF posts boys and all the best for the year..

G'day BlueJet,
Like your post and Joey Montoro's. I just wanted to clear up I never mentioned any clubs nor did I think a club should go down. Was just wondering (or pondering) if it was to happen would someone consider it. Agree probably not this year but if a club was struggling and going to battle for certain reasons isn't it an option to at least be competitive rather than cop hiding each week. It's no good for the comp, club and players. Anyway this could only happen if a club wanted to go up to premier at late notice and then what if 2 clubs wanted to go up, there's another problem.

FYI- I don't know who it was that made a comment on BF but it wasn't Bluejet, but want to say to you all don't believe all you hear boys. Stocco might have left as wanted some extra coin but that's his right.. Maybe he needed some extra cash for the family but who knows! But I can tell you he didn't go to the club who offered the most as I believe some premier clubs made some offers. Maybe he didn't want to play against his old side out of respect for what they achieved on a low budget.
He also is a very good player as shown by his results last year in premier. I don't believe his getting paid more than his worth, but maybe a fair price. You need to be careful here as from what I hear his a good guy so potting blokes like him are a bit unfair.

In all honesty this was general talk, no names were mentioned of players wanting overs, some may have, others may have left for other reasons, but I do know that they respected those players that left, and do hope they will find there way back some time. There is only so much clubs seem can pay out, and if players leave it always hurts, probably hurts a little more when you don't have the cash to keep them I guess.

I posted this on the NFL thread with regards to getting people back into footy clubs. Thought I would share my views.

Running footy clubs these days is a bloody tough gig even with a lot of helpers..
I know this is only a small thing but I mentioned on another league thread that I have noticed an increase in beer prices at local footy. Stubby of draught now $4:80. Now I always buy from the clubs but to me this is a bit steep. Does this encourage supporters to bring there own beer, sit on the boundary line and then leave straight after the game? Need to get them into the club and entice them to be involved.

Ideas - Throw on some free finger food at 6:30 so if people have kids they can eat something. Put the lights on so kids can kick a footy as that's what we used to do back in the day. Need to get families back into club footy..
Fri / Sat night $5 kids meals..

Anyway it's just a small thing I've picked up on in local footy in all leagues.
A great idea. Maybe you could organize and run it at your club.

G'day BlueJet,

I'd imagine that if the pressure on a particular club was too great, that it would become a viable option, (see: Parkside)

I went down to watch this local game. There was a good vibe. Watched half of the seconds game and the main game, although was told that the game before was made up of fisrt year U18's, which formed the bulk of the Northerns team, with most of the 18's from last year having gone up to open age. Just on the A Grade issue, speaking to a number of Northern Saints people, they relish being in A Grade. They speak with grade pride and their plans going forward, despite the challenges clubs at the lower end of the table face. They are banking on a point's system coming into place which they feel will allow them to compete on a more even playing field but when clubs pay just over a $100k as they seemingly do, it's always going to be hard in a competition that is dominated by the almighty dollar. They did lose a couple of their gun forwards but stood their ground in not paying overs, but still are disappointed those boys left and hope they will return home when they are ready.

Just a couple of things, I did see a stouche in the seconds game and I have to admit the two Glenroy fellas that were umpiring did a brilliant job of keeping the peace. Sign them up for EDFL umpiring duty, they were very good. Not a bad stouche either, but suggest both Glenroy and Northern seem well versed in this area. It was no place for the faint hearted let me tell you, although there was good spirits after all the games. Well done to both clubs. And yes, Glenroy 2's only won by a goal or two, the game was very close, having said that so was the senior game, but Northern will go alright this year, no world beaters but should manage to stay up again and build from there. Glenroy will be solid but again, the recruitment of dollar spend by other div 1 clubs will hurt their chances significantly. Money, the bain of all evil in local football!

By the way i hope that the fellow that injured his leg is alright in I know a few of the Northern people were concrespected junior vice president Northern Saints lost

By the way i hope that the fellow that injured his leg is alright in I know a few of the Northern people were concerned for him. I heard he broke his leg in two places? Wish him speedy recovery.
The Haig Fawkner Cricket Club and the Northern Saints Football Club lost an excellent administrator and club person in Geoff Kosmak who died last week. He worked tirelessly around the club and was a well respected person throughout both clubs and the EDFL. A more thorough tribute can be found on the Northern Saints and Haig Fawkner Cricket Club websites. Our thoughts go out to his family at this sad time.

I'd imagine that if the pressure on a particular club was too great, that it would become a viable option, (see: Parkside)

Yeah that issue probably got me thinking along those lines. The WRFL is not well run I can assure you.
- now they have a bye in there top division.
- club budgets in div1 and div3 need to be reviewed due to byes in div1 and no bye in div3 now.

We don't want to see a similar situation in the EDFL but once again I stress I'm not alluding into any particular case..

There appears to be a few Nth Saints people on big footy so I'm going to raise a question. I see West Coburg has got a good thing going with Coburg to use there ground for home games. Really great idea and forward thinking. Can only be a good thing for supporters and attracting players. This leads me to Northern Saints. Could they do a similar thing at the Preston oval. Both clubs are called Northern. I know that Preston is more aligned with the NFL and there is a team called Northern Blues in local ( I think in the Ammos) but couldn't hurt to ask the question.
Now the Preston oval is a top ground in a great location. Could you even look to create a new jumper as i know the old Preston have lost a bit of identity since they merged with Carlton.
I know you guys will think why pick on us.. But I'm not picking on you just trying to improve the club as you guys have mentioned it tough in your area due to soccer etc. Surely this idea could attract more sponsors, more spectactors will come from both sides, attract players, possibly build some type of alignment down the track..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back