EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, if this is true marby should put in a complaint and it should be told at the tribunal.
Once again I say "if true" do we really need a club like this in our league? If it's found to be true the league needs to deal with this NOW.
Why are spectators getting involved??

Can I ask you was there any officials or on field leaders taking control of there club. If not that is very poor and shouldn't be tolerated at any club.

I think Marby video there games so it will be interesting. It's a good idea to video all games depending on the costs involved.

Premier should be the elite level in our district and any club that gets out of control should be demoted to div3 or suspended for a period of time. But the div3 clubs won't want trouble either so just get rid of any club that's encourages or cannot control bad behaviour.

Anyway that's enough on this subject from me.

For the record I haven't mentioned any incidents I seen, nor mentioned any clubs just responding to some posts on a particular game..

I want this league to prosper and encourage younger players to step up to the top level. I don't like hearing about unsavoury incidents.

Would be interested to hear from My North and Weeney who follow Marby.

I did hear that a West Coburg player got hit from behind in a pack, during the first round and will miss a few games.. Any truth to this rumour??

Club Presidents and senior commitee people need to watch and enjoy the game as they are often working during the week at the club. They shouldn't be doing any match day role unless you have a pre function and then they are usually present getting around the function.
Ultimately if you don't have match day officials, bar people, canteen people etc you will fail and the end result is closure.. THATS REALITY..

Hope they can get help and survive for years to come..
Signs are good for the future. Northern have a growing junior committee and helpers. This is evidence of Northern's success in cleaning up its image by setting high expectations of everyone involved in the club. These expectations are solely based on the Codes of Conduct.

I attended the Northern V Marby game on Saturday to watch a friend play (for Marby) and have the following points to make after reading what has been reported above.

You may say these a biased but this is my opinion and i am entitled to it.

1) The Marby player that hit the northern player on the wing retaliated after being struck by the northern player. I don't condone this behavior or the actions of either player and this should be stamped out. Thus i agree with the report and hope the northern player is ok.
2) This incident did not effect the play and didn't start the later melee
3) A northern saints player then retaliated by chasing the player and a small scuffle occurred in the middle where another northern player (i wont list his number) threw countless punches at the offending player from behind aiming at his head when he was wrestling with another player (again a low act and one that should be stamped out)
4) The 'big" melee was started at the close of the third qtr as a result of some push and shove from both teams (both teams equally culpable)
5) One despicable incident by one of the reported Northern players was hitting a Marby player who was simply pulling players away from the melee in a cowardly act away from the main group of players (unprovoked big hit to the face - the Marby player didn't retaliate and the umpire reported the player immediately)
6) Northern spectators came onto the ground and threatened Marby players (very disappointing)
7) The Northern players who were sent off were both given Yellow cards for serious reportable incidents during the Melee.

Away from the onfield negatives my biggest disappointment was being told that a group of Marby female supporters felt threatened and intimidated by Northern spectators in the crowd whilst watching the game. This is not the sort of environment people ever want to see at local football.
I was there but some distance away. Yours is from the Marby point of view and as in all disputes there are two sides to each story. However, clubs will need to look at their own actions and take steps to prevent this happening again. Recording games should be mandatory.

I was there but some distance away. Yours is from the Marby point of view and as in all disputes there are two sides to each story. However, clubs will need to look at their own actions and take steps to prevent this happening again. Recording games should be mandatory.

Hi Kaboose - Totally agree with you and i must say the game was played in good spirits for 98% of the game and that the people running the canteen and BBQ were very nice and you could tell they loved the club.

Mate, if this is true marby should put in a complaint and it should be told at the tribunal.
Once again I say "if true" do we really need a club like this in our league? If it's found to be true the league needs to deal with this NOW.
Why are spectators getting involved??

Can I ask you was there any officials or on field leaders taking control of there club. If not that is very poor and shouldn't be tolerated at any club.

All officials from both teams were trying to call players away and did there best but unfortunately they simply cant control everyone...

People can have their opinions, but the problem remains when claims and accusations are made which are grossly incorrect. This leads to other posters jumping on board and throwing in their lot which then seems to snowball, and then the truth is lost someway back. I do hope Marby video taped the game. I also hope that if anything untoward happened that police are called in and any perpetrators are charged. This, Turbo, is the best way to stop silly people from doing silly things that bring clubs into disrepute. I am talking about spectators who one poster stated threatened players. If true, then police shoudl be involved. Do you think the club condone that behaviour, really....do you??

Again, no Northern player committed any "dog acts", despite what another poster said. Yes it got willing at 3/4 time, but there were supporters from both sides on the field, glad there was restraint, so I hope if anything untoward happened, then the video should be used to press criminal charges, but I seriously doubt that will happen because the EDFL don't have the gumption to get serious. Yes they will impose fines and bonds, but that doesn't work.

If any Northern pclayer committed any serious offense, then they would have been directed to the tribunal, but this did not happen.

1061 on your recent question, all club people want is for the leaders of the club to make a statement and get rid of any trouble maker supporteres (very difficult to do as the ground is a public ground!!! and troublseome players, which is certainly in the power of the committee and coach. On the other hand, when the club are like Northern are dragged through the mud, do they stand up and defend it? I never hear of it.

I don't get to see many games as I run a small business and work on Saturday's, do put in a bit of money at the club and am genuinely interested in it's success. For the record. On another posters comments about threatening behaviour, I am not sure where this came from as I saw lot's of females around the club, and many with little kids, and they all seemed to be having a good time, from the seating to the left hand side of the club rooms to even inside the club rooms. If something happened then something should be done by the club this is what I talk about, but I find it hard to believe as the mood and environment was not threatening at all.

People can have their opinions, but the problem remains when claims and accusations are made which are grossly incorrect. This leads to other posters jumping on board and throwing in their lot which then seems to snowball, and then the truth is lost someway back. I do hope Marby video taped the game. I also hope that if anything untoward happened that police are called in and any perpetrators are charged. This, Turbo, is the best way to stop silly people from doing silly things that bring clubs into disrepute. I am talking about spectators who one poster stated threatened players. If true, then police shoudl be involved. Do you think the club condone that behaviour, really....do you??

Again, no Northern player committed any "dog acts", despite what another poster said. Yes it got willing at 3/4 time, but there were supporters from both sides on the field, glad there was restraint, so I hope if anything untoward happened, then the video should be used to press criminal charges, but I seriously doubt that will happen because the EDFL don't have the gumption to get serious. Yes they will impose fines and bonds, but that doesn't work.

If any Northern pclayer committed any serious offense, then they would have been directed to the tribunal, but this did not happen.

1061 on your recent question, all club people want is for the leaders of the club to make a statement and get rid of any trouble maker supporteres (very difficult to do as the ground is a public ground!!! and troublseome players, which is certainly in the power of the committee and coach. On the other hand, when the club are like Northern are dragged through the mud, do they stand up and defend it? I never hear of it.

I don't get to see many games as I run a small business and work on Saturday's, do put in a bit of money at the club and am genuinely interested in it's success. For the record. On another posters comments about threatening behaviour, I am not sure where this came from as I saw lot's of females around the club, and many with little kids, and they all seemed to be having a good time, from the seating to the left hand side of the club rooms to even inside the club rooms. If something happened then something should be done by the club this is what I talk about, but I find it hard to believe as the mood and environment was not threatening at all.

As stated this is simply my opinion from my vantage point so obviously there will be differing views which i respect.

And as for "dog acts" it comes down to your interpretation and ill stick to mine when i see a player trying to break a fight up and then get smacked in the face.

I think all should get on with playing football and enjoy watching and participating with mates. And more importantly i have nothing but admiration for people who put there heart and sole into running local football clubs for hours on end

I think the Northen Saints supporters need to get there heads out of the sand.
Disgraceful behaviour by the NS players throwing cheapies all game. This is what lead to the multiple punch ups due to Marbi players having had enough of the NS cheap shots.
Even more disgraceful was seeing the NS supporters getting involved with the on field fight. That club has gone backwards in my opinion. And what doesn't help is the fact that people get on here and claim that the club isn't in the wrong.
NS may be playing in the Premier League but are far from a Premier League club. They'd be better suited in Wrfl Div 3 with the disgraceful display on sat.
And to the bloke who suggested that the atmosphere was appropriate for women and children, I'm not sure what you were taught growing up but if my family was exposed to that I would have been fuming.
ABSOLUTLEY DISTRACEFUL !!!!!

Disgraceful behaviour by the NS players throwing cheapies all game. This is what lead to the multiple punch ups due to Marbi players having had enough of the NS cheap shots.
Even more disgraceful was seeing the NS supporters getting involved with the on field fight. That club has gone backwards in my opinion. And what doesn't help is the fact that people get on here and claim that the club isn't in the wrong.
NS may be playing in the Premier League but are far from a Premier League club. They'd be better suited in Wrfl Div 3 with the disgraceful display on sat.
And to the bloke who suggested that the atmosphere was appropriate for women and children, I'm not sure what you were taught growing up but if my family was exposed to that I would have been fuming.
100% agree. Nth Saints have some qualities as a club, but lets be honest here, their game is based on trying to intimidate and upset the opposition. Their supporters go to Mutton reserve hoping to see a game full of fights, that is fact, I am mates with a lot of them. If the girls from Marby said they were intimidated I have no doubt they were. There would not be too many games involving NS where there was not a fight and reason being opposition players sick of copping cheap shots, from behind or just after releasing the ball, therefore retaliating and the NS players using that as justification for their disgraceful behavior.
NS, either lift your game or p*ss off to WRFL Div3

I am sure there were two sides fighting and that Northern had a player taken to hospital.

Kaboose - The player that went to Hospital was hit in a separate incident not during the Melee and the Marby player was reported for it. Also the Marby player was hit first, retaliated and unfortunately the Northern player ended up worse off.

Don't you dare try and play the victim here NS

You have to be kidding! Player get's ko'd and now NS are the bad guys? How do you know supporters go there hoping for fights, what a stupid thing to say. PM the players you are mates with so I can forward to the club. I am sure they would be interested in knowing this information since you seem to care so much, in which case you will. Those comments of yours are insulting and in fact an insult not only the good people of the club but sponsors like me. It's this linch mob mentality that seems to whip up a storm on these forums based on misinformation and heresay. The club earn't it's place in A Grade, and if it is to go down because it finishes last, so be it, but it won't bow down to stupid silly comments such as yours. Your comments are just plain disgraceful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok it's getting pretty willing on here and does appear that it was a game clearly not played in the spirit of footy in general let alone premier league.

I just want to clear up one thing. A "dog act" you keep mentioning can be many things. Kicking, king hits from behind, hitting from behind or blind side, cheap shots in the packs or late after kicks or marks. I don't condone any type of voilence especially these types of incidents as they are low and cowardly.
"However" I am old school and if someone keep persisting with these acts then some players will have had enough and end up sorting it out by looking at the guy and going bang..
Is this a "dog act" IMO no, if the guy derserved it it's called a square up or "pay back".
Most of these "dog acts" like I mentioned above are used by weak, cowardly people who cannot go and get a hard ball or fight one on one, so they whack from behind.

Now in one of your earlier posts you mentioned this "dog act" by one player. I have done some research and his only a young player "who we should be encouraging and developing to play senior footy" and from what I'm hearing he copped a few and had enough. Maybe it's a case of he can actually defend himself and the other person got what they derserved.
I can tell you I bet no one tries this stuff on someone who is tough, as its usually on other players who are kids or lightly built. Did anyone try it on Hollow? What if Jacko was playing they wouldn't try him either..
You also mentioned it's difficult to control spectators all the time, well that's not true as "where are the club off field leaders" as they should go over and say guys pull your heads in and be respectful or leave. If they are still there call the police.

LETS be brutally honest some clubs are weak and scared to make a stand. Some clubs might talk good but in fact actually sit by and watch it. "They enjoy it"
These clubs need to be dealt with now!!!

All,
1- we must improve our league and encourage good clean footy to a high standard so the youth of today can feel this league is the best.
2- families should feel welcome and safe at all games,
3- Premier league is showcase and often attracts neutral people so we need to ensure high quality football on & off field.
4- the league should show some leadership and promptly deal with all issues.

Other leagues are slowly overtaking us as where good players want to go to, so EDFL wake up and act..

Ok it's getting pretty willing on here and does appear that it was a game clearly not played in the spirit of footy in general let alone premier league.

I just want to clear up one thing. A "dog act" you keep mentioning can be many things. Kicking, king hits from behind, hitting from behind or blind side, cheap shots in the packs or late after kicks or marks. I don't condone any type of voilence especially these types of incidents as they are low and cowardly.
"However" I am old school and if someone keep persisting with these acts then some players will have had enough and end up sorting it out by looking at the guy and going bang..
Is this a "dog act" IMO no, if the guy derserved it it's called a square up or "pay back".
Most of these "dog acts" like I mentioned above are used by weak, cowardly people who cannot go and get a hard ball or fight one on one, so they whack from behind.

Now in one of your earlier posts you mentioned this "dog act" by one player. I have done some research and his only a young player "who we should be encouraging and developing to play senior footy" and from what I'm hearing he copped a few and had enough. Maybe it's a case of he can actually defend himself and the other person got what they derserved.
I can tell you I bet no one tries this stuff on someone who is tough, as its usually on other players who are kids or lightly built. Did anyone try it on Hollow? What if Jacko was playing they wouldn't try him either..
You also mentioned it's difficult to control spectators all the time, well that's not true as "where are the club off field leaders" as they should go over and say guys pull your heads in and be respectful or leave. If they are still there call the police.

LETS be brutally honest some clubs are weak and scared to make a stand. Some clubs might talk good but in fact actually sit by and watch it. "They enjoy it"
These clubs need to be dealt with now!!!

All,
1- we must improve our league and encourage good clean footy to a high standard so the youth of today can feel this league is the best.
2- families should feel welcome and safe at all games,
3- Premier league is showcase and often attracts neutral people so we need to ensure high quality football on & off field.
4- the league should show some leadership and promptly deal with all issues.

Other leagues are slowly overtaking us as where good players want to go to, so EDFL wake up and act..
I agree with much of this. It's doubtful anyone would try it on Jacko as he's a big unit who goes hard..

Is this still the Big FOOTY forum ? .... I'm sick to death of reading every Monday about who hit who .... Who started it ... Why it happened ... Why are we to blame ... Not us ... On & on & on .... I went and had a look at a couple of games on the weekend the first at Aberfeldie played under lighting that wasn't bright enough for me to see clearly especially when it started to rain. Two things that stood out though were that Brock McLean never lost a contest he was involved in and that new scoreboard is very very bright. The other game was Sunday at Keilor where the ground was in good nick apart from the wicket area which resembled a mud wrestling ring. Could clubs with cricket squares on them put covers on them when heavy rain is forecast? The game was a very defensive one with both backlines on top but it was still good viewing showing you don't have to score 20 goals to entertain ... Would anyone else like to comment on these games of footy .... Or any other footy played?

Last edited:
Is this still the Big FOOTY forum ? .... I'm sick to death of reading every Monday about who hit who .... Who started it ... Why it happened ... Why are we to blame ... Not us ... On & on & on .... I went and had a look at a couple of games on the weekend the first at Aberfeldie played under lighting that wasn't bright enough for me to see clearly especially when it started to rain. Two things that stood out though were that Brock McLean never lost a contest he was involved in and that new scoreboard is very very bright. The other game was Sunday at Keilor where the ground was in good nick apart from the wicket area which resembled a mud wresting ring. Could clubs with cricket squares on them put covers on them when heavy rain is forecast? The game was a very defensive one with both backlines on top but it was still good viewing showing you don't have to score 20 goals to entertain ... Would anyone else like to comment on these games of footy .... Or any other footy played?
Yes tigertony I was also at Keilor yesterday and enjoyed the match. Surprised there was not a bigger crowd, seeing it was the only match on. Dicey weather may have had something to do with that. Veszpremi for Pacco is an absolute gun.Keilor played a very defensive game plan, perhaps McGuane thought they may have got blown out of the water otherwise. Keilor are nearly always hard to beat at home, particularly with their backs to the wall.

Also surprised centre area was so muddy. Keilor is usually a great surface to play on. Pacco and Keilor would have to improve a fair bit to match it with Abers and Greenvale, although apparently Pacco were missing a few. It's just that with the way Turbo has been talking them up I expected a more dominant display.

Some good matches next week:

Marby/Greenvale
Pacco/Mores
AVH/Keilor

I suppose it was a bit much to expect after 2014 when it was such an exciting and relatively even season, but there seems to be a huge gap between top and bottom teams this year.

We have had a wetter than usual start to the season which has made the grounds with turf wickets suffer, worse still will be when these pitches dry up they will be rock hard and dangerous, i am not sure what the answer is but I would have thought you could digup the pitch and laydown some turf after cricket season finishes.

I agree about Pat Veszpremi he's an absolute star hard but fair ... What about his kicking? Does anyone in the comp give it a bigger roost.... Far better to watch than some mugs cheap shotting all day

I agree about Pat Veszpremi he's an absolute star hard but fair ... What about his kicking? Does anyone in the comp give it a bigger roost.... Far better to watch than some mugs cheap shotting all day

I think the grounds could be overused as well. Some clubs now have thirds and multiply 18 sides so this will also affect the ground condition. Greenvale will be ok as they have 2 grounds but clubs like Keilor need to have plans for this.

On Patty Veszpremi the guy has so much talent, but most of all plays hard and has passion for his club. Some players of his talent might not like playing back line when they could be playing midfield or forward but not Patty, as he will play anywhere. Likes to offer his opinions to the coaching staff as well which is great. His very hard at it and agree one of the best kicks of the footy going around in any league including VFL. His reaping the rewards for sticking by a club that struggled last year. Also a great bloke..
How good is it to watch blokes still in their prime play EDFL. I don't care who you follow it's great to watch.

Then from Keilor you see Bathie (29) roam around and think why isn't he playing vfl. I seen him get tackled on the Pacco wing for the first time as usual he just guide past em. Then No32 flying for marks up forward. Bit unpredictable but can be a match winner with enough deliveries forward.

100% agree. Nth Saints have some qualities as a club, but lets be honest here, their game is based on trying to intimidate and upset the opposition. Their supporters go to Mutton reserve hoping to see a game full of fights, that is fact, I am mates with a lot of them. If the girls from Marby said they were intimidated I have no doubt they were. There would not be too many games involving NS where there was not a fight and reason being opposition players sick of copping cheap shots, from behind or just after releasing the ball, therefore retaliating and the NS players using that as justification for their disgraceful behavior.
NS, either lift your game or p*ss off to WRFL Div3

Northern Saints FC are not even 10 years old.

One club came from the NFL and the other EDFL so you two suggesting they should P.O. to WRFL sound like a couple of people worried if this Club gets it's Premier League act together it'll dominate like it did Div 1 for a few years until it broke through to Premier.

I doubt Mutton Reserve is the only ground with these issues within the EDFL.

I agree with much of this. It's doubtful anyone would try it on Jacko as he's a big unit who goes hard..

Yeah BlueJet, that's my point mate. If your tough, hard and fair at the ball and prepared to tackle & bump the big boys this is what I regard as a tough physical player respected by all. I could mention a few names but some examples are Ayres, Arrowsmith, Hollow, Joyce etc take them all on..
Blokes that only take on the young kids or smaller ball players are gutless and weak..

PS: it's not directed at you, just a broad statement on my experiences with certain players going around future & past..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back