EDFL Premier Division

Canplaythisguy

All Australian
Dec 4, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Avondale Heights V Marby Park
Avondale are turning there season around on the back of there back 6. Keeping both strathmore and west coburg to less than 80 points. The midfield battle will be very tight both teams possess good mids but I think Marby have a few missing links in the back 6. Avondale win by 32 points.

Northern Saints V Strathmore
Northern surely can't beat the mores. Strathmore will seek a stronger performance after being embarrassed last week. Good to see corigliano and Kennedy in the best as they are good young kids coming through. Hopefully this can kick start strathmore. Strathmore by 77 points

West Coburg V Airport West
A win for either side for me keeps them in A grade it all depends which team wants it more. If saad x2 fitaxx morano and akkari all play well then it will be a step to far for airport west. West Coburg by 25 points

Greenvale V Keilor
Hasn't this contest had some classics over the last 5 years. Greenvale are in form although a tough lost to pacco last week. There is plenty of fire power in each side I just think the class is on greenvale a side with lower maric x 2 brewer and the like. Greenvale by 17 points for mine

Aberfeldie V Pascoe Vale
There would have to be 10 plus ex Afl players playing in this game. The game will be won at either end. Both teams posses great mid fields and that will be a sensational battle with Ross x2 Harris urquart vespremi V lynch Oswald blackwell McLean hislop.
I think abers defends better than Pascoe vale and holds the keys down back to stop warren tydel pollizi and others that play down there. Where as I don't think Pascoe vale quite have the back six to stop remiers johns McNamara kefford. Abers by 15 points

Sickofthecrap

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lets be honest who couldn't Coach that side !
Pay that much money for your Players its not hard.
Can not wait until the Cap and points system come in.

Yes a Bart Cummings stable does help anyone, but from what I've observed this season, its how Potter goes about it, it is impressive.
It's GF day (if they make it) is when you need the main man to react be proactive and get the job done.
This has been Abers problem.
To a previous post, yes Harro is up there as one of Abers best coaches, he was at his best when not playing.
He got an ok Albion to beat a pretty good Spotswood in a GF.
Had he not played in the GF (with a broken hand) Abers may have won it when he was there.

Oddballoddball

Debutant
Aug 11, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Didnt get the chockies against a super Oak Park side, but reckon Haro is the best Abers have had.

Which coaches do you think could transition to AFL assistants? Craig Clinnick is extremly highly regarded by anyone who has played under him so reckon he would go alright, is a senior manager with Coles so might not be prepared to take a pay cut. Anthony Rock would be the other i reckon could make it.
Brodie holland would be one surely if he was interested? Plenty of AFL experience, A Grade premiership coach.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope Abers are prepared for the huge crowd.. Country interleague on this week so this will bring in a few more people.
Last weeks game between Pacco v Greenvale was one of the biggest Saturday home & away crowds I've seen for a while at local metro footy. But it was about 50/50 as Greenvale had a good following.
But surely today will be big..

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
I hope Abers are prepared for the huge crowd.. Country interleague on this week so this will bring in a few more people.
Last weeks game between Pacco v Greenvale was one of the biggest Saturday home & away crowds I've seen for a while at local metro footy. But it was about 50/50 as Greenvale had a good following.
But surely today will be big..
Pretty good day for it as well. It should be a cracking game of footy.

snax

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I Just saw Northern V Strathmore scores aswell

Can anyone who was there give us a wrap on this game also

Sickofthecrap

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just saw the scores..
While I thought Abers would get up comfortably, that scoreline would surprise/scare many.
Is anyone able to give a wrap?

Obviously Pacco are better than what they dished up today, Abers simply controlled the game in all aspects.
Pacco do look good at times on the break, but Abers just simply outclassed them.
It's far from over for Pacco and Abers still have a lot to do, but appear to have the comp at its mercy.

Kaboose

Debutant
Sep 5, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I Just saw Northern V Strathmore scores aswell

Can anyone who was there give us a wrap on this game also
Both sides were without a number of players. Strathmore dropped 8 players for not attending a training session whereas Northern dropped 2 for the same reason. Northern were also hit particularly hard with the late withdrawal of Fort Caruso and the absence of a number of key players including Michael Cassinides, Mick Simeoni and Nat Caruso. It was a very good game that was played at a fast pace. The third quarter saw Northern dominate as they were proving too fast for Strathmore. Stratmore tried to suck Northern in to take their mind of the game. This would have worked earlier in the season but Northern are now a more disciplined unit. Instead it was Strathmore that gave away their own 50 metre penalties. However, in the end Northern tired and it was Strathmore's experience and taller players that proved the difference. Both sides as well as the umpires need to be commended for providing a good exhibition of AFL.

Nogrubbers

Draftee
Apr 22, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Obviously Pacco are better than what they dished up today, Abers simply controlled the game in all aspects.
Pacco do look good at times on the break, but Abers just simply outclassed them.
It's far from over for Pacco and Abers still have a lot to do, but appear to have the comp at its mercy.
Best players please?

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hello Turbo , where are you!!!

Hey mate,
I've just recovered from the game and the many beers partaken. Just got over my headache.
Anyway I thought Abers won the midfield battle and had more forward options. The first qrt was pretty even with some easy goals missed by both teams. The second qrt Pacco had in the forward line early in the quarter but just couldn't finish off and then Abers lifted and put the game beyound reach.
Pacco lost 2 good players early in the first qrt to injury with 1 player bravely staying on for a while. 1 player appeared to do a knee in the middle of the ground. The condition of the ground centre was extremely poor. Was muddy and wet, which was strange as it didn't rain Friday or Sat so not sure where the water came from!! So the centre bounce was moved to the club room side. Not sure if the player will be happy with just collapsing in the mud as was playing well up to then. Players are paid well in the EDFL but some grounds are below par.. Nice scoreboard though, but I couldn't see it from where I was standing..
Losing these 2 players was a big loss for Pacco but Abers were the better side on the day. Reimers was everywhere (especially early) and kicked 4:5 I think. Kefford and J Mac were key targets.
Pacco seemed to be kicking to Warren far to often, when at times there were other options or they could have run and had a shot..Abers played a 7 man backline which worked well for them.
Pacco have a few injuries and will be better in the second half season.. I'm sure it will be closer in the return match.

It's not an ideal situation if the difference between first and second on the ladder is 60+ points but it's only May and we know finals are played at a different tempo..

Now I did hear about Abers players going over to the supporters after a win and seen it with my own eyes yesterday. I can't see the value in this at all. It's a wa@@ IMO. This will turn players off going to Abers and the reason most clubs want to knock them off come finals time..

Also what happened to the after game speeches. I was there till around 7:00 and no one got up and said anything. Doesn't this still happen when you thank the opposition and read out the other game scores.. The band was playing good music and plenty of people in (and outside) the rooms..

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know anything can happen in finals, however with the list Abers have assembled, and the way they are playing it's looking pretty grim for the other 9 teams in Premier division. From late in first quarter yesterday it was all one way traffic and result always looked foregone.

Although Pacco defeated Greenvale by 4 goals in the previous round I still believe Jets will be Abers biggest danger come finals time. The loss of big Hill in the 3rd quarter was the turning point in that match. He was dominating and Pacco's backline had no answer to him. Also Greenvale were only narrowly beaten first time around against Abers.

JustOverHere

Debutant
Mar 6, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey mate,
I've just recovered from the game and the many beers partaken. Just got over my headache.
Anyway I thought Abers won the midfield battle and had more forward options. The first qrt was pretty even with some easy goals missed by both teams. The second qrt Pacco had in the forward line early in the quarter but just couldn't finish off and then Abers lifted and put the game beyound reach.
Pacco lost 2 good players early in the first qrt to injury with 1 player bravely staying on for a while. 1 player appeared to do a knee in the middle of the ground. The condition of the ground centre was extremely poor. Was muddy and wet, which was strange as it didn't rain Friday or Sat so not sure where the water came from!! So the centre bounce was moved to the club room side. Not sure if the player will be happy with just collapsing in the mud as was playing well up to then. Players are paid well in the EDFL but some grounds are below par.. Nice scoreboard though, but I couldn't see it from where I was standing..
Losing these 2 players was a big loss for Pacco but Abers were the better side on the day. Reimers was everywhere (especially early) and kicked 4:5 I think. Kefford and J Mac were key targets.
Pacco seemed to be kicking to Warren far to often, when at times there were other options or they could have run and had a shot..Abers played a 7 man backline which worked well for them.
Pacco have a few injuries and will be better in the second half season.. I'm sure it will be closer in the return match.

It's not an ideal situation if the difference between first and second on the ladder is 60+ points but it's only May and we know finals are played at a different tempo..

Now I did hear about Abers players going over to the supporters after a win and seen it with my own eyes yesterday. I can't see the value in this at all. It's a wa@@ IMO. This will turn players off going to Abers and the reason most clubs want to knock them off come finals time..

Also what happened to the after game speeches. I was there till around 7:00 and no one got up and said anything. Doesn't this still happen when you thank the opposition and read out the other game scores.. The band was playing good music and plenty of people in (and outside) the rooms..
Totally agree with you Turbo, it's definitely not ideal for the future of the competition to have the No.1 team beat the No.2 team by 60+ points.

It's also not ideal for the future of the competition to have the No.1 club spend 20%+ more on total player payments than any other club in the competition, it can and will have many ongoing affects on the competition unless restraints are put in place.

And yes, GFL follower, it definitely diminishes the art of coaching when your club is spending 20%+ more than any of your rival clubs on player payments.

If and when restraints are put in place, a strong focus will be placed on club administrations to develop quality strategies from within, especially if their club wishes to remain competitive on a consistant basis.

Last edited:

long kick

Debutant
Apr 29, 2006
ascot vale
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Totally agree with you Turbo, it's definitely not ideal for the future of the competition to have the No.1 team beat the No.2 team by 60+ points.

It's also not ideal for the future of the competition to have the No.1 club spend 20%+ more on total player payments than any other club in the competition, it can and will have many ongoing affects on the competition unless restraints are put in place.

If and when restraints are put in place, a strong focus will be placed on club administrations to develop quality strategies from within, if their club wishes to remain competitive on a consistant basis.

long kick

Debutant
Apr 29, 2006
ascot vale
AFL Club
Hawthorn
you must look back over the past few years . the players (not all ) don't owe anything to the club, the club only owes to the players $$. wonder if they are playing finals for free $$ this year or have they demanded like past years that they need/have to be paid.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your hangover must be effecting your memory, Pacco kicked 3.1 in the first 1/4. So missing easy goals, I don't think so, a 4.4 return for the half, won't win many games.
I do agree that Pacco, was hampered by injuries on the day and are to Warren focused
On the centre square, we'll get over it, that's suburban footy, it like that all over the state.
The result was a blow out and not a true reflection of 1 V 2, I agree the return bout should be a closer result.
On the the team celebrating with the supporters, I'm not a fan either but it was pretty low key, but to suggest players will be turned off going to Abers for that reason, are you serious, that the greatest load of crap you've ever posted.
Not sure about the post game speeches, but as you mention the place was humming with a huge ladies day, so I imagine it took a back seat, surely you're not suggesting Abers deliberately disrespected Pacco are you.

No wasn't suggesting Abers disrespected Pacco as it was a good atmosphere in the rooms with both supporters and players mingling..I did happen to snag a slice of pizza but think it was vegetarian.. Lol

I'm just not sure it's a good look to go over to supporters and you agree. Some players won't like that type of stuff as it's a bit "we are good". Some players like playing for the underdogs is what I mean. Bit more down to earth. Even VFL sides don't do this. What's next handing out signed footballs or caps.. Anyway we have different opinions which is fine..
*i do seem to be getting told lately I'm posting some crap which is a bit hard to accept.. It's only my opinion and I know a lot of players.. Haha

On the flip side it's good all your supporters congregate in the one area and you had a few supporters but so did Pacco on the outer wing side. I don't mind the goal celebrations by players like Reimers to the crowd but the after game stuff doesn't do anything for me..

The game wasn't very physical but played at a high tempo. Pretty clean skills by both sides but Abers hit more targets and linked up better through the middle. I think everyone was a bit shocked at half time as it looked like Abers were way on top. Most people (and there was plenty) were expecting a close contest..

How many people you think was at the game? It was like a finals crowd..

Probably need to sell beer and food on the other side of ground as well but it does require extra helpers. I have noticed an increase in crowds this year. How about you??

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will Brett Scott, (EDFL President) take the credit for Northern's dramatic improvement? He did address the club on Thursday.

What ever the reason it's a good thing, I think having a strong Club in the Fawkner area is important to the growth of the EDFL.

Back