EDFL U16 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Jackson and listening to the commentary of the Hillside v Keilor Park game he seemed to get plenty of it.

Great to see some of the stars of junior footy starting to make their way into seniors.

The kid is a gun and deserves all his accolades.
Just a shame now he can't play tomorrow. Hillside should be to good anyway, with some classy midfielders.

The kid is a gun and deserves all his accolades.
Just a shame now he can't play tomorrow. Hillside should be to good anyway, with some classy midfielders.

Agreed. Was shocked he missed out on Vic Metro tryouts.

Results as per predictions down in Div 3.

Got the Haddy v Lakes result completely wrong in Div 2 thinking mainly that, the loss of Hisham Kerbatieh would have some effect, but in the end he played and kicked 5 goals. All other results as picked.

The loss of Jacko made the game v Abers closer, but Hillside still had enough to win, while the other two results went as expected.

Keilor v Doutta Stars was a terrific game and Keilor can really take a lot out of it given who they had missing. Douttas would do well to remember this is a team game and banging it in from 50 while ignoring the hard work of your forwards isn't always the right option.

Tom Wallis was great for Douttas as was Zac Wunhym for Keilor.

Two milestone games down at Douttas this week.

Another of the leagues best juniors, Shaun Stewart plays game number 150 and Matthew Furnari who continues his fantastic development plays game 50 against Abers. Well done to both boys.

If there is anyone out there with any news from your club, please don't be shy to share it.

Round 5 this week. Gee, before you know it we'll be talking finals.

Div 3 has a couple of interesting games. Avondale v Northern and Tulla v East Keilor should both be close games with the home sides as my picks. Glenroy has won by default and Oak Park will beat Burnside Heights.

Div 2 offers what should be a great match up between Westmeadows and Marby. Marby are unbeaten, but I'm going with Westmeadows at home. Airport West and Moonee Valley will beat Taylors Lakes and Pacco respectively, while Roxy will fancy their chances over a Hishamless Hadfield.

Div 1 should see the 4 favourites win.

Douttas over Abers by 10 goals
Greenvale by 10-15 goals over West Coburg
Hillside by over a 100 against Craigieburn and
Keilor by 6 goals over Strathmore

Enjoy the weekend.

Div 3 as predicted, Three close games Div 2 saw Marby home by 11 points over Westmeadows, Haddy by 13 over Roxy and Moonee Valley also by 13 over Pascoe Vale, while AW beat TL by 50 points.

Results as per prediction in Div 1, although Craigieburn were only beaten by 21 points at Hillside. A tremendous result for the club.

Keilor had a 43 point win over Strathmore, Greenvale by 86 points over West Coburg, while Douttas continue to lead the division after a commanding 120 point victory over a gallant Aberfeldie.

I noticed over the weekend that, our two young guns playing senior footy were both named among the best for their respective teams Hadfield (Hisham) and Hillside (Jackson). Quite a feat for two boys who would've only just turned 16.

Keep it up boys and I don't think it will be too long before a few more join them in the weeks ahead.

Round 6 this weekend. Just about the last chance for players to move clubs before the cut off date for transfers too.

Div 3 this weeks throws up what should be a very good game between Avondale and Oak Park. Both teams sit on 16 points, but OP have yet to have their forfeit game. I'll go with Avondale.

Burnside over East Keilor, Northern get their bonus 4 points, while Glenroy will beat Tulla.

Div 2 has some intriguing games, with Marby v Moonee, Haddy against Westmeadows and Pascoe Vale v Airport West. Adam Clemente and his mates at Pacco will be getting desperate for a win and I might just head down to this game for a look on sunday afternoon. I hear AW have some excellent processes in place and it should be worth checking that out.

With that said, Marby, Hadfield, AW and Roxy to knock off Taylors Lakes.

Big game down in Div 1 this week as old foes Keilor and Greenvale go head to head. With the top 5 almost set Greenvale will want to stick close to Douttas near the top of the ladder. They've got the team to win this game and I'm still not sure if Keilor are playing for later in the year rather than now. My guess is the latter. I'll go with the Jets at this stage by 10 points.

Hillside face West Coburg in a game they should win comfortably. As a bonus, if the Jets lose, Hillside will go into next weeks game of the round against Douttas in a very positive frame of mind being in good form and clear 2nd. Note this game starts at 12.30pm.

Aberfeldie host Strathmore and they should put a nice 8 point buffer between the pair with a win to consolidate 5th place on the ladder.

The last game of the round, which also starts at 12.30pm, has Craigieburn hosting Douttas. Douttas should win by a fair few, but the weather will have made the ground a bit heavier which should bring the two sides closer together.

Games went to plan in Div 3 this week, but I do note the Avondale v Oak Park game was won by only 5 points. There really doesn't see like a clear favourite yet.

3 games went to script in Div 2, but a draw between Roxy and Taylors Lakes. While Marby's on top of the ladder, Hadfield and Airport West are chasing hard.

In Div 1 the top 5 looks almost set in stone already. Two really close games with Abers a single goal winner over Strathmore and Keilor knocking over Greenvale by a goal too. Hillside were a 59 point winner over West Coburg and Douttas by a 141 points over Craigieburn.

Before I finish can I just want to give a big wrap to the Craigieburn kids. While they were out classed, they showed for long periods of the game what a well coached and disciplined side they are. Their efforts in the 3rd 1/4 didn't go unnoticed. Hopefully a win comes soon.

The end of round 1 this weekend.

Div 3 results should all go to plan. Avondale over Burnside, Northern over Tulla and Glenroy over East Keilor.

Div 2 games feature what should be a couple of beauties.

Airport West versus table topper Marby Park at Etzel Street would just about be the game of the weekend across all three divisions and well worth a look if you have a free afternoon. I'll go with AW at home too.

Taylors Lakes host Pascoe Vale in a game which will give one team their first win of the year. I'm going with TL only due to the home advantage. Should still be a good game.

Moonee Valley host Hadfield and again a good match looks on the cards. If Moonee Valley can shut down Hadfield's exciting midfield then they should get up.

Westmeadows play Roxy and they should win.

3 games in Div 1 look pretty cut and dried with Greenvale over Abers, Strathmore over Craigieburn and Keilor over West Coburg. The last game features Essendon Doutta Stars v Hillside in what I'm picking will be a very physical game. After hearing so many good reports about how Volpato's been going it will be good to see it first hand. In Coletta and Psaila they've got two very classy players to add extra impact.

Most people are probably expecting an win for Douttas, but I think it will be as close as a 2 or 3 goal margin with Douttas being just that bit stronger.

3 cake walks down in Div 3 this weekend with not one single game being won by less than 150 points.

I note a 31 point last 1/4 burst got Airport West over Marby today. Must have been thrilling to watch. 5 goals each for Hish and Juddy in Haddy's comfortable win over Moonee Valley. Party time down Pacco way as they beat Taylors Lakes and a nice win for Westmeadows over Roxy.

Two results as expected in Div 1 although the margin in the Keilor v West Coburg game was closer than expected. No result so far from the Eagles v Lions game although I'm told Strathmore won.

The Douttas v Hillside game was exactly as I thought it would be. Hillside came out very determined and played a very physical brand of footy, but Douttas kept them at bay. A 5 goals to 1 second 1/4 pretty much wrapped up the game.

Brodie Meyers was outstanding for Douttas as was Brandon Coletta for Hillside who took some telling marks in the backline. A note for parents to keep the hell off the ground when the players have a bit of push and shove. You have no place on the ground, so keep off it and stop adding fuel to the fire.

That ends round 1 and the ladder's looking pretty much as we thought only Douttas are in first place and are going to be hard to knock off. I still expect Keilor and Hillside to swap place over the next 7 rounds and I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish second at seasons end. Should be an interesting next couple of months as we head towards finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 2 begins this weekend and then a well earned break for all teams over Queens Birthday weekend.

Div 3's game of the round should be Glenroy v Northern Saints. Both teams are well set in the top 5 and it should be a good game. Glenroy for mine. Burnside over East Sunbury, Avondale over East Keilor and Oak Park over Tulla.

A mouth watering game down in Div 2 has Airport West hosting Hadfield. There is absolutely nothing between these two teams and I think the home ground advantage may just work in AW's favour. Both teams have some quality players and as if I was a neutral looking for some top footy on a sunday arvo I'd be heading to this game.

In other games, Westmeadows over Taylors Lakes, Moonee over Roxy and Marby over Pacco.

3 games in Div 1 seem pretty straight forward, but Douttas have been hit with a glut of injuries and could have as many as 6-8 out. With that said they've got some real depth and that will come in handy over the next few weeks. I'm still expecting a 60-80 point win.

Greenvale should rack up the % against Craigieburn, while Hillside will be far too good for Strathmore. The last game has Keilor playing Aberfeldie and they should also win easily.

3 absolute massacres down in div 3 again this weekend along with East Sunbury's weekly forfeit points to some major problems down in that division. I wonder though if anyone is noticing?

I thought the div 2 game between Airport West and Hadfield would be the game of the round and I'm told the draw was a very good game. The race for the Premiership looks to be coming down to a 3 horse race between, AW, Haddy and Marby Park who beat Pacco. The other two games went to script.

Two major upsets in Div 1 with Keilor and Hillside beaten by, Aberfeldie and Strathmore respectively. Greenvale were easy winners over Craigieburn while Douttas stayed 8 points clear of the pack with a 122 point win over a gallant West Coburg.

Rep footy takes the focus next weekend while the rest take a well earned break. See you then.

3 absolute massacres down in div 3 again this weekend along with East Sunbury's weekly forfeit points to some major problems down in that division. I wonder though if anyone is noticing?

I thought the div 2 game between Airport West and Hadfield would be the game of the round and I'm told the draw was a very good game. The race for the Premiership looks to be coming down to a 3 horse race between, AW, Haddy and Marby Park who beat Pacco. The other two games went to script.

Two major upsets in Div 1 with Keilor and Hillside beaten by, Aberfeldie and Strathmore respectively. Greenvale were easy winners over Craigieburn while Douttas stayed 8 points clear of the pack with a 122 point win over a gallant West Coburg.

Rep footy takes the focus next weekend while the rest take a well earned break. See you then.

Thanks for the Summary of the round. Saves me looking at the results and summing it up.
On other matters. Has anyone heard about the suspension of the Abers coach and the subsequent investigation into the umpires and opposing player who were (from what I hear) caught lying in the tribunal? Or has anyone heard the lateset on the investigation into the 7players (2 hillside 5 eds) and parents/officials following what was described by the edfl vice president as "unbelievably disgusting events" (brawl) that happened between Hillside and EDS?
Apparently the league was not very happy at all. From past history these investigations don't end well and I'd expect both clubs would be wanting it to be resolved soon, so that the suspensions don't affect the finals.
Interesting times ahead.

Thanks for the Summary of the round. Saves me looking at the results and summing it up.

It's really no problem. People seem to like it and it gives a [limited] view of what's happening over the weekend.

What game did you see? Who played well?

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on Division 3 and if you think it would be time to cap junior teams at clubs like Keilor and Abers so clubs around those areas have a better chance to compete for players.

On other matters. Has anyone heard about the suspension of the Abers coach and the subsequent investigation into the umpires and opposing player who were (from what I hear) caught lying in the tribunal?

I see an Abers U16 coach has been suspended for 4 weeks for foul language, but nothing about anything else.

Interesting times ahead.

Certainly can't see any suspensions to players for a bit of push and shove you see any given weekend. Parents OTOH going on the field and inflaming minor issues should be dealt with severely.

No need to limit the number of teams clubs have ,just need to grade them correctly. I have been banging on about this for years I even spoke to edfl board members re. changing the way the juniors are structured but it all seemed too hard for them. Maybe its time to push for change again. Its absolutely ridiculous to have junior teams getting flogged each week.

No need to limit the number of teams clubs have ,just need to grade them correctly. I have been banging on about this for years I even spoke to edfl board members re. changing the way the juniors are structured but it all seemed too hard for them. Maybe its time to push for change again. Its absolutely ridiculous to have junior teams getting flogged each week.

I'm certainly all in favour for a series of say 4 grading games before settling on the last 8 rounds. My mate in the NFL says it works well there.

I was talking to a lady at West Coburg on sunday and she said can we just give you guys the win and go home. Thought that was pretty sad, but understandable given their results so far. I know having the four home games on the day is an issue to help with fundraising, but something needs to be done or these kids will be lost to the game before they leave the junior ranks.

Also I can confirm a standard $100 fine for the meelee between Douttas and Hillside, and no suspensions will be coming out of the game. I'll look forward to Club7's next attack on the Doutta Stars FC with much anticipation.

I simply thanked you as it saved me sorting through the results and summarising what may have happened. Obviously a post or txt can't express emotion or meaning, so take it how you want. I simply asked questions on a PUBLIC forum. I didn't get to any games as I had to scout 2 played in another league for the club i work for. Perhaps one thing the edfl could look at is only allow 2 rep players to transfer to the same club in 1 season. Nothing meant by that other than I know oak park lost a lot of players this season to a couple of clubs. I totally agree on giving parents the full penalty as I know of 6 players in the league who are not allowed to have their parents at their game because of prior misdemeanours. There will be suspensions given and if you don't think so then maybe I'm giving you a clue as to we're I stand in the league. Yes, EDS will win the flag in 16a and my son has already said that he will be transferring next season because although the thought of a premiership is exciting, he doesn't believe it has happened in the right way for junior football. Personally I think it's the exact way a senior club goes about it but must say I admire his way of thinking. Anyway you can continue to bag me for my OPINIONS on this PUBLIC forum, but I promise you this. As long as this is a PUBLIC forum, I will as you do, continue to give my opinions. After all, for all the other prople that enjoy your summaries. Theres not a hell of a lot that actually get on here. Who knows, I may even let you know who I am on grand final day after a few ales back at Buckley park.

There will be suspensions given

Then you must know more the the clubs Junior VP who insists there wont be.

Who knows, I may even let you know who I am on grand final day after a few ales back at Buckley park.

Why wait? Lets chat about it before hand. Should make for an interesting conversation. How about at next tuesday nights training? I'm one of the two Kiwi dads in the 16s. The shorter one just to help a bit more. Or, as is your right, you can just continue to give your opinions behind this user name.

As for the Premiership, well I wouldn't get too far ahead of myself or your son could be transferring without one. Douttas have a good side, but so did Pascoe Vale last year and we all know what happened to them.

While most players will be enjoying the weekend off many EDFL Rep teams will be in action this weekend if you might be looking for some hugh quality footy to watch.

U12 and 13 sides play the RDFL and WRFL at Burnside Heights on Sunday with games starting at 10.15am

The 14 and 15 reps play Sat and Mon. Div 1 are at Walker Pk on Sat with games starting 10am and on Mon at Leo Dineen Res again with a 10am start.

Div 2 sides play Sat at Canning street 10am start and Mon at Moorleigh Res and another 10 am start.

The U16 side play Tue the 11th against the WRFL over at Churnside Pk, Watton Street in Werribee with a 6.30pm start.

I 100% agree - reducing sides per club is not the answer. Clubs need to be rewarded for their work & effort in developing a strong junior program. The EDFL have got no idea, no policies, no genuine passion for junior footy. In saying this clubs continue to have their own agenda which only magnifies the problem. I am also aware of recommendations being submitted to the EDFL with no reply. So they obviously think they have it right!!! Sorry they have one policy re Div 1,2 & 3 for relegation & promotion - even this doesn't work. After that they have nothing & just juggle teams/clubs in whatever division they feel like to fit a fixture. The club structure scenerio (where 10,12,14,16 all play at same venue) will always cause issues at certain age levels, I am not saying we should move away from this yet BUT the league & clubs need to be smarter. Use DS as an example. Apart from their U16's they shouldn't be in Div 1 and the question then needs to be asked why would you put their second team in Div 4??? This a great example of how the EDFL just have it wrong and so do DS. Another example would be Sunbury or Burnside. Both are very new clubs just starting to find their feet so put them in a Div where they can win games - let them even dominate for a season then move them up. Sunbury lost their U16 side due to getting belted. Bottom line EDFL - BE SMARTER get someone else to do the structure cause you blokes have no clue.

I 100% agree - reducing sides per club is not the answer. Clubs need to be rewarded for their work & effort in developing a strong junior program. The EDFL have got no idea, no policies, no genuine passion for junior footy. In saying this clubs continue to have their own agenda which only magnifies the problem. I am also aware of recommendations being submitted to the EDFL with no reply. So they obviously think they have it right!!! Sorry they have one policy re Div 1,2 & 3 for relegation & promotion - even this doesn't work. After that they have nothing & just juggle teams/clubs in whatever division they feel like to fit a fixture. The club structure scenerio (where 10,12,14,16 all play at same venue) will always cause issues at certain age levels, I am not saying we should move away from this yet BUT the league & clubs need to be smarter. Use DS as an example. Apart from their U16's they shouldn't be in Div 1 and the question then needs to be asked why would you put their second team in Div 4??? This a great example of how the EDFL just have it wrong and so do DS. Another example would be Sunbury or Burnside. Both are very new clubs just starting to find their feet so put them in a Div where they can win games - let them even dominate for a season then move them up. Sunbury lost their U16 side due to getting belted. Bottom line EDFL - BE SMARTER get someone else to do the structure cause you blokes have no clue.
Aren't Doutta Stars u14 div 1 currently top 3 ? U10 & U12 both 6th.

Don't think that's true shouldn't be in div1.

I agree it is not good so many one-sided matches occur in div 4,5,6,7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back