EDFL U16 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The two clubs really struggling in Div 1 are West Coburg and Craigieburn. Both will be fighting to fill the quota of wins required to stay up, if they even want to. In Div 4, 3 of Doutta's teams are last on the ladder and are more than likely playing in the wrong division.

The big issue which needs urgent attention is, Div 3. Week after week teams are being smashed. It's been that way since the 3 division split. This is where I thought a cap on teams would be helpful. Imagine East Keilor 16's with 10 or 12 of Abers 3rd place U16 div 5 side. Instantly they'd be more competitive than they are now.

I realise this sort of thing isn't fair on the clubs, but the comp should come first and if the rules are applied evenly then there is no reason why it couldn't work.

Either way, great to get some thoughts and ideas on this issue. :thumbsu:

The two clubs really struggling in Div 1 are West Coburg and Craigieburn. Both will be fighting to fill the quota of wins required to stay up, if they even want to. In Div 4, 3 of Doutta's teams are last on the ladder and are more than likely playing in the wrong division.

The big issue which needs urgent attention is, Div 3. Week after week teams are being smashed. It's been that way since the 3 division split. This is where I thought a cap on teams would be helpful. Imagine East Keilor 16's with 10 or 12 of Abers 3rd place U16 div 5 side. Instantly they'd be more competitive than they are now.

I realise this sort of thing isn't fair on the clubs, but the comp should come first and if the rules are applied evenly then there is no reason why it couldn't work.

Either way, great to get some thoughts and ideas on this issue. :thumbsu:

Its hard to be competitive when clubs poach all of your better juniors each year with promises of no membership fees and no weekly fees. Makes strong juniors stronger and leaves the weaker clubs struggling to survive.

Its hard to be competitive when clubs poach all of your better juniors each year with promises of no membership fees and no weekly fees. Makes strong juniors stronger and leaves the weaker clubs struggling to survive.

Fair point. I'd suggest more kids leave because of the junior structure and in search of stronger competition.

Aren't Doutta Stars u14 div 1 currently top 3 ? U10 & U12 both 6th.

Don't think that's true shouldn't be in div1.

I agree it is not good so many one-sided matches occur in div 4,5,6,7

My example re DS still stands & I don't want to debate their U16 side but look at their Div 4 performances. I am taking from an overall performance of their juniors.

It would seem we all agree the current EDFL Junior structure is not working & whilst it has been suggested numerous times over the years I can't see the EDFL reducing the number of Teams from the current levels that being U10,12,14 - 4 sides & U16 - 3 sides. Whilst the targets for those complaining are always Keilor Abers Strathmore & Greenvale, there are now new growth area clubs appearing ie Hillside, Craigieburn which are fielding as many sides just not with the same success at this stage. There would be an outcry that the league could not defend itself against if a decision was made to reduce the teams these guys currentky field. My suggestion is to develop a fully divisionalised structure ie Div 1 to 5 to work on a fully promotion & relegation system with all clubs having to field a side in each age group to qualify. The obvious problem that many would criticise is that the bigger clubs could effectively field a side in div 1,2, & 3 - I would argue that this would not be the case. Benefits would be that all sides would then be playing against like for like, with the challenge for clubs to improve their models. After all isn't this the real problem ie win/loss ratios, standard of junior coaches, junior committee structures!!!! Got more but have run out of time. For discussion/\.

Is there any club in particular that has done that this season?
Also can someone please help me. It was my understanding that no more than 3 players from any one club can represent their club in the edfl side. From the 2 videos I've watched of Monday's games, it's pretty obvious this isn't the case.

One club in particular I know of has offered free memberships in 2013 trying to get players to their club and a quick look at the EDFL U14 rep lists show a least 1 club with 4 players in the team suggesting there is no limit to the quota per team which is fine as the best players should always represent the league whether they play at Abers, Keilor, Hadfield or Craigieburn.

On a positive note, congrats to the U15 Div 2 side on making the Interleague Grand Final and well done to all the kids who represented the league in games during the carnival.

Rep season over and now the focus moves back to the club scene as we move towards finals.
I suspect the top 5 in Div 3 will consolidate their position to leave the last few rounds to finalise table positions.
Best game in Div 2 should be the Westmeadows v Moonee Valley one. Don't expect much change in the ladder and in fact that division has almost set in stone their top 5.
The Div 1 match of the day is the Hillside v Greenvale game. Hopefully both sides are at full strength. Important game for Strathmore this weekend against Douttas as they try to keep in touch with Abers in the race for 5th spot. The wet weather will help. Keilor and Abers should pick up 4 points each against Craigieburn and West Coburg respectively.

No surprises this weekend as results in all grades went as expected.

The Douttas v Strathmore game was actually better than the final score margin might suggest. Anthony Vernarli with 7 goals, Nath Palumbo, and Shaun Stewart with 4 goals, some pin-point passes and an up and down the ground effort were among Doutta's best, while Alex Coutts and Chris Williams stood out for Strathmore who just need to eliminate some mistakes to be a threat over the next few weeks.

I know umpires take a bagging most weeks, but congrats to the two young umpires in the game today. Thought they were both fantastic.

Bookmark next weeks game at Greenvale between the Jets and Douttas as a must see thing to do on a sunday arvo. Both sides are full of rep players from 2012 and 2013, plus a host of Calder Cannons squad members.

I also went and watched an U10's game at Charles Mutton Reserve and the final score was something like 125-0 to the home side. I wondered just what the score might have been if East Keilor were playing a side from Div, 5, 6 , or 7, or maybe even Douttas winless (until today) U10's Div 4 side. Really felt sorry for the EK boys, but they tried hard and never gave in.

Round 10 this week and only 4 more games until finals.

Some pretty good match ups around the traps this weekend starting with the Div 3 game between Northern and Oak Park. Only two points separate the teams and both will want to make a statement as finals close in.

Other games should go to plan with Avondale over Tulla and Glenroy over Burnside.

In Div 2 Marby and Hadfield meet in a top of the table clash which will most likely lock up top spot for either side. I'm expecting Marby to get the points at home.

In other games I'm picking Pacco to upset Roxy, Airport West over neighbours Westmeadows and Moonee Valley over Taylors Lakes.

A couple of potentially great games in Div 1 this week where Keilor will be out to avenge their round 3 thrashing from Hillside and the Greenvale versus Doutta Stars game should be an absolute blinder with so many of the best young kids in the league on show.

I've thought Keilor have been doing just enough without a few of their big name players playing a lot of games to get by so far and that may be the case again this week. Hillside are a good team though and whose physicality may just be the catalyst for another upset.

So much to look forward to at Greenvale on Sunday. Both sides at full strength are the best two teams in the comp. Douttas run and carry is a pleasure to watch, while only conceding 22 points per game. Greenvale have some of the best attacking players in the comp and are averaging just under 100 points per game. Everything points to a game not to be missed. I still expect Douttas to remain unbeaten, but it will onlybe after a long hard battle.

Aberfeldie need to make sure they beat Craigieburn to maintain their 8 point buffer over Strathmore who should beat West Coburg.

Must have been a beaut game between Northern and Oak Park with only a point separating the two sides.

Upsets galore down in Div 2 with Taylors and Westmeadows scoring vital wins.

Need not have worried about Keilor as they had a thumping 60 point win over Hillside. Abers moved into 4th place and a win next week over Hillside will give them a nice edge heading into finals.

Douttas got off to a flying start against Greenvale, but after that the game settles into a real struggle with both sides putting their bodies on the line. The next 3 1/4s were played as you'd expect between two top sides. Douttas ability to apply pressure was the telling factor though and if Greenvale can settle and not panic as much as they did, the next game will be a lot closer.

Koolyn Briggs and John Boutros were great for Douttas with some outstanding defensive work, while Jayden Ranno and Matty Condo were among the Jets best.

Round 11 and some good games available around all 3 divisions.

In Div 3 the top two sides go head to head when Avondale host Glenroy. A win to the Heights will see them leap frog the Roys into 1st place.

Div 2 has Westmeadows hosting the improving Pascoe Vale, while Hadfield v Taylors Lakes won't be as easy as some think. Marby should take care of Roxy and the last game of the round has Moonee Valley hosting Airport West in a game they'll want to win and keep a nice gap ahead of Pacco.

In Div 1 you can take your pick of which game to watch because they all look like they could go either way.

Craigieburn host West Coburg and they'll be desperate to register their first win of the year. West should be too good, but an upset is certainly on the cards.

Hillside play Aberfeldie and really it's any-ones game. A win for Abers will give them a nice 8 point break with 3 games to go. Strathmore play Greenvale in the 3rd game of the round and again it's a toss of the coin result. Strathmore are going much better than early in the year, but the Jets are a formidable side with plenty of depth. Greenvale should win, but a Lions upset wouldn't surprise.

In the last game the unbeaten Doutta Stars play Keilor and it's all good news for the latter. Douttas have been decimated by injuries and will use a number of U14 players to help fill the ranks. If Douttas are to be beaten in a regular season game, then Sunday will be the day.

Well, after expecting a few surprises this week every game went its due course.

Glenroy, Marby and Douttas have all but assured themselves of top ranking in their divisions and will enjoy a well earned first week off after the regular season ends.

Watched a terrific U14 div 1 game today between the very good Keilor side and a tenacious Douttas. It was end to end stuff and all the boys can be proud of themselves as they gave the good crowd at Buckley Pk a game they won't forget soon.

On a bad note today young Michael Romero was taken away in an ambulance and all our thoughts are with him and his family. Pretty sure it isn't serious, but a scary moment all the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe the home and away season is just about over over. 3 rounds to go before the fun of finals begin.

Div 3 offers up an early finals encounter with Northern hosting Avondale. Despite home ground advantage I'm expecting a comfortable AH win.

Game of the round in Div 2 should be the game between Marby and Westmeadows, while Pacco will fancy their chances of toppling Moonee Valley.

The pick of the Div 1 games should be Keilor v Strathmore. A win is a must for the Lions if they're any hope of catching Hillside and Abers for a spot in the finals. Their cause should be helped as Abers face Doutta Stars.

Mostly predictable results around the divisions today. Northern did get close to Avondale, but the latter held on for 6 point win.

Pascoe Vale are making a desperate run for the Div 2 finals and helped their cause with a narrow win over Moonee Valley. Both should lose next week, but in the final game Pacco host bottom placed Taylors Lakes and Moonee Valley are away to the dangerous Hadfield. Percentage will play a big part on who comes fifth and that favours MV by less than a % Pacco's late season form looks like it will be rewarded.

In div one today I had the misfortune to watch one of the worst games of junior footy in years. The decision by Abers to play almost their entire side behind the ball for just about the whole game was a real disappointment and made for ugly footy. While understanding their desire to defend percentage ahead of next weeks do or die game against Strathmore, I would hope the real message we'd like to send to kids is to play attacking footy.

Dean Fallone, Simon Hickmott and Alex Hymer were among Abers best, while Bruno Laguda, James Leaney, Shaun Stewart, and Nathan Palumbo were for Douttas.

Strathmore would've taken a lot of heart out of this weeks close loss to Keilor.

Penultimate round of junior footy this week across the league and a couple of important games too as we head into finals.

In Div 3 Burnside Heights need (should get) a win over East Keilor to go back into 5th on percentages ahead of Tulla who play Avondale. That should be enough to confirm their place in finals as Tulla face a tough game against Northern in the last round.

Two games in Div 2 sunday which should have commanding wins, but Pascoe Vale and Moonee Valley will be doing their best to keep both their percentages in check ahead of next weeks last round. Pacco have a huge advantage with a last round game against Taylors Lakes (MV play Haddy) and it would be a heck of an effort to play finals after looking like they'd finish last.

Div 1 has two must see games on the weekend, the first being Aberfeldie's must win game against Strathmore. A win will confirm their place in finals while a loss will give Strathmore a real shot at making up the 8 point plus percentage margin and what looked like an unlikely place in the 5.

Geenvale host Keilor and on paper they should win. Easier said than done though. Keilor have the wood on the Jets and another loss wouldn't surprise.

In the last two games Hillside should enjoy a comfortable win over West Coburg, while Essendon Doutta Stars shouldn't have too many troubles with the young Craigieburn side.

When will Keilor play Nick again? He's only played 3 games so far so will need one more. Can't see him fronting this week, so I'm guessing he'll play a bit part against West Coburg next week.

Stilly's a good player, but he doesn't rip games apart like Nick can. Most sides will have him covered IMO. I think the key for Keilor is, Tylar Vujanic. He'll ensure they get a ton of ball out of the middle and kick plenty of goals while resting forward.

Should be a terrific finals series. Congrats to Nick on his award too. Looking forward to him finally lining up against Douttas, or with a bit of luck they'll get knocked out beforehand. :)

Quite a week for the EDFL boys up in Sydney with Hisham Kerbatieh becoming the 2nd player from the league to take out an MVP award at the National Champs.

I think we're really blessed here at this age group and have any number of kids (not all who are in the Cannons or representing the state) who have a great future ahead of them in footy.

Finalists just about confirmed now in all divisions.

The top 5 in Div 3 shouldn't change and in Div 2 it's all up to Pascoe Vale to get into the top 5 next week when they line up against Taylors Lakes. Win and they should be in.

Div 1 top 5 all sewn up now after Strathmore lost to Abers. Will take a lot for the semis not to be (2)Greenvale v (3)Keilor and (4)Hillside v (5)Aberfeldie.

When will Keilor play Nick again? He's only played 3 games so far so will need one more. Can't see him fronting this week, so I'm guessing he'll play a bit part against West Coburg next week.

Stilly's a good player, but he doesn't rip games apart like Nick can. Most sides will have him covered IMO. I think the key for Keilor is, Tylar Vujanic. He'll ensure they get a ton of ball out of the middle and kick plenty of goals while resting forward.

Should be a terrific finals series. Congrats to Nick on his award too. Looking forward to him finally lining up against Douttas, or with a bit of luck they'll get knocked out beforehand. :)

According to EDFL website NIck has played 3 senior & 3 U16 games so he is right to go.

The home and away season for the juniors is coming to an end and as such its time to select under 16 team of the year ..

the team will be selected from divisons 1,2 & 3.

i start with one of the most improved players in the league

first player to make it is

Shaun Stewart.(essendon doutta stars)

affectionately known this year as Mr.Fix it .

can play anywhere and has improved his versatility and playmaking this year.
shaun is most suited to the wing position where he can use his flair and long kicking to effective use ..

well done shaun who has had a fantatstic year to date.

stay tuned for our next 23 players to come ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back