Edumucation discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Wasn't born in America, was he? They seem to know bugger all about their northern neighbour too.
The majority of US Americans know very little about anything outside the US of A but most of them know that Alaska is part of the USA.

I have heard that geography is no longer taught in Australian schools.

mod's note: thread created from discussion in another thread

Last edited by a moderator:

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
The majority of US Americans know very little about anything outside the US of A but most of them know that Alaska is part of the USA.

Wish it hadn't been taught 40 years ago. My geography teacher was a complete bastard.

Tawny

Debutant
Sep 27, 2009
Yarra Valley
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Well they obviously don't do spelling anymore, the current gen Yers can't spell for crap, so what's the next gen going to be like...a bunch of dumbarses.

Well they obviously don't do spelling anymore, the current gen Yers can't spell for crap, so what's the next gen going to be like...a bunch of dumbarses.
I don't really think that's true. I'm a mid 90s kid, and it seems to me that there just as many idiots from previous generations as there are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

A bunch of people who are good and smart about what they do for a living and absolutely nothing else. No general knowledge bank.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Of course it is.

Kids these days are far more skilled than those in my day, you will always have the top and the bottom. The top are as good as ever and the bottom are as bad as ever, there has been no standards slip, just a change in necessity.

From my experience it's Australian history that's taboo.

Schools won't go anywhere near it.
And on this, the curriculum regarding history is changing next year and will no longer be taboo, not that it particularly was anyway.

Last edited:
From my experience it's Australian history that's taboo.

Schools won't go anywhere near it.
Not true either, in fact it's compulsory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Phones and text are ruining spelling, someone sends a text and replaces "have" with "of" ; sooner or later you have a whole generation who have never been exposed to the correct spelling of the word and believe that the two are interchangeable.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Phones and text are ruining spelling, someone sends a text and replaces "have" with "of" ; sooner or later you have a whole generation who of never been exposed to the correct spelling of the word and believe that the two are interchangeable.

FTFY :rolleyes:

Phones and text are ruining spelling, someone sends a text and replaces "have" with "of" ; sooner or later you have a whole generation who have never been exposed to the correct spelling of the word and believe that the two are interchangeable.
Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);

Chaucer agrees with you.

I don't really think that's true. I'm a mid 90s kid, and it seems to me that there just as many idiots from previous generations as there are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just go to Adelaide Oval on Sunday for proof of this :)

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Not true either, in fact it's compulsory.

I'm only a few years removed from your run-of-the-mill public school, Australian history consisted of ANZAC day, Henry Lawson, and in year 8 or 9 throwing a boomerang.

First fleet - maybe in passing.

Stolen generation - must be lunch time.

Even things like the Eureka Stockade and the Batavia were obviously in the too hard basket.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);

Chaucer agrees with you.
But the current translation of this prose takes into account the current spelling of each word, spellings will evolve over the years, it is only natural. It is the use of one current word with one meaning(of) to replace another current word with a different meaning(have) that should not be done.

But the current translation of this prose takes into account the current spelling of each word, spellings will evolve over the years, it is only natural. It is the use of one current word with one meaning(of) to replace another current word with a different meaning(have) that should not be done.
Happens all the time too.

That 'awful brave nice' boy would have very different meanings over the centuries.

Sounds 'gay' doesn't it?

Last edited:

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"Games to play with your pussy".

That's a pretty bored pussy...

803419.jpg