2013 Election Preview: Australian Labor Party

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a big fan of including all debt not just selective pieces. Yes you are right it was a gross debt figure not a net debt figure.

without researching net financial worth would be circa -$300B and gross circa -$700B

correction $338B of interest bearing liabilities

a further $216 of provisions and payables

for a total of $555B

So Ratts

Drop your political spin for a bit:

why did labor get rid of Rudd the first time?
why did they get rid of gillard?
what has labor done badly?

let's see if you have integrity and can answer without the spin!

ROT:

Menzies used to have his driver park on top of the ridge next to the Robert Heatley stand and the PM would watch the game from the back seat of the car. If you were really a Carlton fan you would know that.

View attachment 28357

Australian under the Labor Party is the Geelong Football Club. The Liberal Party want to say it’s really Hawthorn and we got lucky in ‘08 by avoiding recession in the biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression, but Australia 2007-2013 is definitely Geelong.

If the ALP is Geelong that is going to make for a great afternoon this Saturday.:p:)

So Ratts

Drop your political spin for a bit:

why did labor get rid of Rudd the first time?
why did they get rid of gillard?
what has labor done badly?

let's see if you have integrity and can answer without the spin!
It is utterly, embarrassingly ridiculous for you to accuse me of 'spin' in a post directly below one where you admitted you spinned $555B into $700B. And that $555B is a rubbish number too. You spent a lot of time on BF bagging Gillard for being a liar. She wasn't. But by your own standards you would have to admit to being a liar-liar pants on fire. And a massive hypocrite. If I am 'spin' how do you explain The Economist agreeing with me?

Almost everything the media has talked about this parliament has been about 'communications' and how things might look to an imagined voter. It's not policy-reporting. They created a circus and then called it a circus. The reasons for this are either (1) the loss of money in mainstream media means less investigation (2) the influence of owners like Rinehart and Murdoch, or (3) because they didn't want to feel they had missed a story of a PM change-over like they did when Julia removed Rudd in 2010.

If it is that last one, then they are a petty, undemocratic lot and they deserve (1) - which of course leaves them far more open to (2).
  • Labor got rid of Rudd due to poor polls and his personal management style. He says he has learnt from this error.
  • Labor got rid of Gillard due to poor polls and her lack of success at selling her message in the media (which was more the media's fault, than her's, in my opinion)
  • Labor got it wrong on Asylum Seekers in Rudd's first term. Labor should've manager the ETS better in Rudd's first term (most likely by just not scrapping it, but they will have had more detail than we do, so were obviously spooked by something in the figures). Gillard and Rudd shouldn't have been scared to run on the achievements of each other. Rudd has clearly learnt from all these lessons.
This is not the 1st time I have mentioned these things on BF, so don't think my answering you condones the hypocritical 'lying' and spin you have just partaken in.
Menzies used to have his driver park on top of the ridge next to the Robert Heatley stand and the PM would watch the game from the back seat of the car. If you were really a Carlton fan you would know that.
Why would I know that if I was a Carlton fan? You realise we've had John Elliott and Richard Pratt as Presidents, yeah? Ignoring Liberals like them is key to still enjoying Carlton's history.
Ratts of Tobruk
I would thnk the ALP was more like the city of Geelong than the football club. Both hoping that unsustainable handouts to the car industry will be enough to keep them alive a little longer.
I hope you, Tandino, Todman and Power Raid realise that Abbott's keeping of the no-questions-asked 20% FBT threshold cost more to taxpayers than our subsidising of Holden, Ford and Toyota.

Why would I know that if I was a Carlton fan? You realise we've had John Elliott and Richard Pratt as Presidents, yeah? Ignoring Liberals like them is key to still enjoying Carlton's history.

If you were a true Carlton fan you would that the Liberals and Carlton have history together.

Malcolm Fraser

Percy Jones

Althought Justin Madden was a state Labor minister

Speaking of Labor, I wonder who will be leading them next week? I nominate Blind Freddie. I suspect he's the only one who can see what went wrong..

It is utterly, embarrassingly ridiculous for you to accuse me of 'spin' in a post directly below one where you admitted you spinned $555B into $700B. And that $555B is a rubbish number too. You spent a lot of time on BF bagging Gillard for being a liar. She wasn't. But by your own standards you would have to admit to being a liar-liar pants on fire. And a massive hypocrite. If I am 'spin' how do you explain The Economist agreeing with me?

Almost everything the media has talked about this parliament has been about 'communications' and how things might look to an imagined voter. It's not policy-reporting. They created a circus and then called it a circus. The reasons for this are either (1) the loss of money in mainstream media means less investigation (2) the influence of owners like Rinehart and Murdoch, or (3) because they didn't want to feel they had missed a story of a PM change-over like they did when Julia removed Rudd in 2010.

If it is that last one, then they are a petty, undemocratic lot and they deserve (1) - which of course leaves them far more open to (2).
  • Labor got rid of Rudd due to poor polls and his personal management style. He says he has learnt from this error.
  • Labor got rid of Gillard due to poor polls and her lack of success at selling her message in the media (which was more the media's fault, than her's, in my opinion)
  • Labor got it wrong on Asylum Seekers in Rudd's first term. Labor should've manager the ETS better in Rudd's first term (most likely by just not scrapping it, but they will have had more detail than we do, so were obviously spooked by something in the figures). Gillard and Rudd shouldn't have been scared to run on the achievements of each other. Rudd has clearly learnt from all these lessons.
This is not the 1st time I have mentioned these things on BF, so don't think my answering you condones the hypocritical 'lying' and spin you have just partaken in.

I hope you, Tandino, Todman and Power Raid realise that Abbott's keeping of the no-questions-asked 20% FBT threshold cost more to taxpayers than our subsidising of Holden, Ford and Toyota.

The $700B was from a political add ($694B) but when checking the web I could only see $555B. I am not sure how the political add accounted for the debt but they must have included the off balance sheet debt like the NBN.

Thanks for you comments on Labor.

No Ratts

Rudd was warned by his on party and the unions but he refused to listen and as a result people died.

What the *?

The ALP and the Unions warned the sociopath, ALP leader about a situation that the 'honest' business owners might find a loop hole in, and because Rudd didn't make the controls stricter, the business owners took advantage, and people died?

I see why you hate Unions so much!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the ****?

The ALP and the Unions warned the sociopath, ALP leader about a situation that the 'honest' business owners might find a loop hole in, and because Rudd didn't make the controls stricter, the business owners took advantage, and people died?

I see why you hate Unions so much!

Rudd was warned fast and loose operators were gearing up without proper training or OHS procedures. All he had to do was provide conditionality on the funding that their companies met minimum guidelines. How hard is that?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ink-batts-hockey/story-fn3dxiwe-1226674646787
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ebacle-revisited/story-fn6tcxar-1226693140523
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-...hasing-compensation-from-commonwealth/4874510
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ink-batts-scheme/story-fni6uok5-1226674555190

I can't speak for the others, but I disagree with the Libs stance on that score, just as I disagree with the ALP's stance on extending subsidies.
Clamping down on the FBT rorts is a good move. It is only being done to try and ensure existing law is followed. I have no confidence that the rquirement for a log book will be effective, but is at least an attempt to make people a little more likely to adhere to the law.

GDP per capita figures since labor has been in government indicate that the statistics listed by the OP are meaningless and selective. If inflation has averaged 2.5% since Labor came into power then GDP per capita should be around 40,000 however it is down at 37500 indicating we have actually become poorer and worse under labor.

True and factual economics at work. Add in the debt Labor has put us in and in reality we have been royally ****ed for the next 10 years... time for Liberal to clean up the mess.

Interesting to see Rudd whining about the CUTS!

The cuts relate to cutting back on foreign aid to Africa, which Rudd set up to buy votes to get us onto the UN. I wonder when he talks about these CUTS effecting jobs whether he is referring to us or his own job on the UN?

This guy is simply selfish

Todman said:
Ignoring Liberals like them is key to still enjoying Carlton's history.​
Someone changed what I wrote. I never wrote that.
I was correcting this back on the day but I got [censored] so couldn't. The quotation thing went wrong. The top quote was from me, the second one is from you. I said "Ignoring Liberals like them is key to still enjoying Carlton's history." and after that you then said I wasn't a true Carlton fan because I didn't know the Libs were big in the club.

So you were wrong; you were playing-the-man; and it doesn't even make sense as a jibe anyway (how many kids pick their team on the basis of the political allegiance of a fan from decades before they were born? Or due to political allegiance of members of the board?). Gus Poyet has made a similar attack on me in the "Is Big Footy Biased?" thread, so it's worth putting this non-thinking on the record.

I was correcting this back on the day but I got [censored] so couldn't. The quotation thing went wrong. The top quote was from me, the second one is from you. I said "Ignoring Liberals like them is key to still enjoying Carlton's history." and after that you then said I wasn't a true Carlton fan because I didn't know the Libs were big in the club.

So you were wrong; you were playing-the-man; and it doesn't even make sense as a jibe anyway (how many kids pick their team on the basis of the political allegiance of a fan from decades before they were born? Or due to political allegiance of members of the board?). Gus Poyet has made a similar attack on me in the "Is Big Footy Biased?" thread, so it's worth putting this non-thinking on the record.

Trying to pick up an agrument after the moment has passed.

Trying to pick up an agrument after the moment has passed.
Another non sequitar. Arguments are not time limited. You needed to know you were wrong so you didn't make the same error again. You rightly pointed out that the quote wasn't yours and I explained why.

Plibersek said on Q and A that she would give Labor a "9 out of 10" for governing, while only giving them "1 out of 10" for discipline. If Labor believes their only troubles in government where due to ambition and discipline, as well as communication, then they are destined for a long time in the wilderness. Obviously the government wasn't as bad as the Libs tried to portray, but it's farcical to claim this government deserved a 9/10.

Plibersek said on Q and A that she would give Labor a "9 out of 10" for governing, while only giving them "1 out of 10" for discipline. If Labor believes their only troubles in government where due to ambition and discipline, as well as communication, then they are destined for a long time in the wilderness. Obviously the government wasn't as bad as the Libs tried to portray, but it's farcical to claim this government deserved a 9/10.
I think she means in comparison to other governments. Obviously plenty of things could've gone better, but any large organisation has waste & stop-start management. All the organisations I've worked in have.

A lot of the stop-start-reverse stuff with Labor was to do with infighting, as polls and stakeholder reaction killed ideas on arrival because kinks hadn't been worked out within a distracted caucus and there wasn't confidence in strategies with everyone looking over their shoulder. And of course Rudd's leaks in 2010 led to the minority government (Gillard was actually popular before the lies about her lie and the minority government media circus started to reduce her popularity) that caused JG so many problems.

Something like the Malaysia Solution was good, but the media game didn't get played well with it. If the idea has been floated earlier so that obvious problems (like the 800 person cap) could be dealt with without it looking like a step back (and to allow the negotiations with Malaysia to take a longer course) then it could've been the succesful model. PNG got there in the end. As did Carbon pricing. When the GST was first introduces it had major problems with how business reported it. It took years to get it right, and plenty still think it isn't right.

But you are right, 9 out of 10 is obviously a huge exaggeration, and Labor will be looking at a lot of things. The odd thing is how the media keeps talking about Labor not knowing what it stands for. Labor knows exactly what it stands for and that is partially a problem. They are inclusive, but that means not believing there is a group in society stealing taxpayer money (elites/unions/whatever) so it can't play the divide-and-conquer line the Libs use. And to pre-empt the retort, asset testing isn't class warfare/attacking the rich or whatever. It's arithmetic.

Interesting to see Rudd whining about the CUTS!

The cuts relate to cutting back on foreign aid to Africa, which Rudd set up to buy votes to get us onto the UN. I wonder when he talks about these CUTS effecting jobs whether he is referring to us or his own job on the UN?

This guy is simply selfish

Is Rudd’s next stop the UN?

1:38PM Dennis Shanahan JULIE Bishop has left open the option of Australia backing Kevin Rudd in a campaign to become the UN secretary-general.

Well, neither party is like Geelong at present. The Coalition are like Scotty Watters' St Kilda 2013. The ALP are like last years Eagles side. Impressive looking against mediocre opponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back