Piezy

Team Captain
Apr 8, 2010
Warragul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Nilma Darnum
Hows all the grounds going so far?? We played over at Lang Lang on the weekend and there ground was hard as plus they'd just put sand on it that morning to fill some holes but all that did was make it like sand paper, 90% of our players ended up with there legs getting torn up could only imagine there side was the same. Nilma's ground was redone over summer and is in great condition atm but the rain this week will test it out. Surkin may be able to give some insight as to why Langy was the way it was.

Re: Ellinbank Football League P3

Agree Piezy, the Lang Lang oval is a disgrace and something needs to be done about it ASAP.

I'll run you through what happened during the week. Firstly the ground has been rock hard all season. I'm still wearing runners to training and it is round 4 (actually had one senior player play in runners on Saturday). Then we turned up at training on Tuesday to the ground covered in some sort of "fertilizer". Not 100% sure what it was but it was of a similar texture to gravel. Amongst all this there were boulders of this gravel bigger than baseballs that they were still finding up until Friday. We had people working tirelessly to try and roll this fertiliser/gravel under the surface but as you said the ground was rock hard and it couldn't happen. I left training on Thurday thinking there was no way there could be a game played on it come Saturday. Then I got there Saturday and there had been a few truckloads of sand dumped over the surface which did little to fix the problem, merely hiding it. And add to that the grass that is on the surface is clumpy and the ball was going at right angles all day.

Glad I was injured and didn't have to play Saturday because as Piezy said every player came off the ground with gravel rash. Dead set would be close to the worst ground in Australia. I reckon the red dirt that Liam Jurrah used to play on up the top end would be better.

In my opinion it was not fit for play on Saturday and I was surprised Darnum actually signed off to actually play on it. It's only a matter of time before a serious injury happens out there. Very frustrating to play away games on surfaces like Kooweerup and Phillip Island on a Saturday and then have to rock up and train on a cow paddock come Tuesday.

Looks like not much has changed down there Surkin. Sound a little similar to Darnum in that things get done, and there is a lot of hard work goes in, but it all happens too late.

Every year at Darnum, the same people say the same thing: "Righto, the Sunday after the last game, we are going to rip it up, redo the drainage, laser level it and put some form of revolutionary grass on it", but the reality is that it is only done half arsed and not until January when someone wakes up one Sunday morning and says: "We better do something about that cow paddock out there, soon.", condemning the footy team to train at the Geoff Watt Track until round 1 or 2.

Piezy, correct me if Im wrong, but the work done on darnum's ground for drainage was only done on half the ground, wasnt it?

I have seen it in magnificent condition at this time of year, all to turn to s**t after one 20ml downpour on a Saturday morning. If there is one positive to come out of not having juniors, it is that the ground wont get more traffic than it can handle, as it has had in past years. Hell, it might even hold up for the return game later in the year, Surks...lol

Yeah it's not the fault of the people at the footy club plugger. A few people put in a stack of work to get the ground in a condition acceptable to play on.

Problem at Lang Lang is that the ground is not owned by the Shire like most the other grounds in the EDFL but instead owned by the Show Society. They don't want to spend any money on it or have the football club do anything to it and then they go and run a rodeo on it every easter.

Sad thing is the only way things will change is if someone gets seriously hurt.

The drainage was done at a guess over 80% of the ground with a sandy base put all over it. IMO i havnt seen it this good ever, although i havnt played for Darnum before this year i use to go watch them whenever i got the chance to watch mates the rain this week will test it out. Surkin i dont think the people that signed off on the ground wouldve had that good of a look at it but we're not really in the position to be not playing every game we can atm. I had a ball playing against your 2's (even tho we got flogged) they seemed like a great bunch of blokes. That big bloke with Blonde dreads is a deadset gun and should be playin 1's IMO.

Yeah it's not the fault of the people at the footy club plugger. A few people put in a stack of work to get the ground in a condition acceptable to play on.

Problem at Lang Lang is that the ground is not owned by the Shire like most the other grounds in the EDFL but instead owned by the Show Society. They don't want to spend any money on it or have the football club do anything to it and then they go and run a rodeo on it every easter.

Sad thing is the only way things will change is if someone gets seriously hurt.

Yeah Surks. We have been over it before. Sort of old ground for us. Same as Darnum. DSE owns it and do nothing. Always people to do the work and they all do as good a job as they can do when all the circumstances are considered.
The drainage was done at a guess over 80% of the ground with a sandy base put all over it. IMO i havnt seen it this good ever, although i havnt played for Darnum before this year i use to go watch them whenever i got the chance to watch mates the rain this week will test it out. Surkin i dont think the people that signed off on the ground wouldve had that good of a look at it but we're not really in the position to be not playing every game we can atm. I had a ball playing against your 2's (even tho we got flogged) they seemed like a great bunch of blokes. That big bloke with Blonde dreads is a deadset gun and should be playin 1's IMO.

Always been a good bunch of blokes down there. We had some excellent tussles in the twos with them over the years.

Is Benny Bolton still around Surkin?

That big bloke with Blonde dreads is a deadset gun and should be playin 1's IMO.

Yeah Piezy that is Aiden Brown. He's a very good player. Was kicking 2 or 3 goals in the seniors every game for the first half of last season before he decided he just wanted to play twos. With Kurt Batt, John Nichols, Chris McCurdy, Ben Dwyer and Matty Olney the seniors already have a heap of talls up forward.

Always been a good bunch of blokes down there. We had some excellent tussles in the twos with them over the years.

Is Benny Bolton still around Surkin?

Yeah Plug, Benny Boulton is captain of the twos this year. Two's have a good side, have won the first 4 matches, but as you know a lot depends on injury. Have already had 4 or 5 blokes pinched by the seniors due to injury which depletes the side.

After seeing Bunyip on saturday Dusties are clearly the team to beat after smashing them the week before. Bunyip are a good side and will make finals but a lot of injuries this early in the season is a concern from them. They moved the ball well, killed us with run and carry off the half back line. They seem to be a bit reliant on Lieshout up forward too with the injuries they have.

Are they big name injuries Leo or just blokes that will make up the numbers? I had it in my head before the start of the year that they could of been the team to sneak into the granny.

I went down and seen Garfield V Catani on the weekend and Garfield just look too young atm. Too many mistakes by the young fellas and even though big Owey Fitz hasnt got any smaller, he is marking liking he was 4 or 5 years ago like in Catani's premiership era. Phill Cahill is doing well, and Catani will only get better as the season gets wetter. Come finals time though, if it is dry teams will just out run them I think.

Are they big name injuries Leo or just blokes that will make up the numbers? I had it in my head before the start of the year that they could of been the team to sneak into the granny.

I went down and seen Garfield V Catani on the weekend and Garfield just look too young atm. Too many mistakes by the young fellas and even though big Owey Fitz hasnt got any smaller, he is marking liking he was 4 or 5 years ago like in Catani's premiership era. Phill Cahill is doing well, and Catani will only get better as the season gets wetter. Come finals time though, if it is dry teams will just out run them I think.

I havent seen them play for the last couple of seasons so apart from Brad Walker i am not sure who they were missing, one of there guys said they were missing a lot of their talls, they didnt seem overly big.

They just seemed to run a lot harder than us and didnt turn the ball over as much. Inside 50s were about the same and we had far more centre clearances which were postives for us and shows we have improved a fair bit against probably a finals side.

A couple of their key backs are missing.

I havent seen them play for the last couple of seasons so apart from Brad Walker i am not sure who they were missing, one of there guys said they were missing a lot of their talls, they didnt seem overly big.

They just seemed to run a lot harder than us and didnt turn the ball over as much. Inside 50s were about the same and we had far more centre clearances which were postives for us and shows we have improved a fair bit against probably a finals side.

Yeah I found out yesterday its Walker, Fitzpatrick, and Henwood. With Walker their captain this year and Fitzpatrick their captain last year I would imagine their presence on the ground not just as players but as leaders would be missed greatly. I'm not writing them off just yet...

Nyora's ground was in great condidition considering the rain they had during the week, the new cover near the rooms is great and moving the away box down to ground level was also good not sure how long it has been like it as i hadnt been there for a while. Senior game was pretty good after a slow start by Nilma the umpires had way to much of an influence and maybe shouldve just let the game go a bit more.

Highlights of the day was listening to goodie (biggest guy on ground) comment for 2 quarters on how hard one of our guys hit him with a hip and shoulder, all fair of course. Then to top it off when the siren rang for 3 qtr time goodie complained that play had stopped too far from Nilmas huddle and it was too long of a walk.;););)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually feared for Goodies health at one stage i thought he had died haha, he was very sore after the game aswell.

Nyora's ground was in great condidition considering the rain they had during the week, the new cover near the rooms is great and moving the away box down to ground level was also good not sure how long it has been like it as i hadnt been there for a while. Senior game was pretty good after a slow start by Nilma the umpires had way to much of an influence and maybe shouldve just let the game go a bit more.

Ground was in good nick considering we had 4 inches of rain from wednesday to saturday in Nyora.
The undercover area was there last season, probably the best place to watch footy from in the league i reckon, pity the game on saturday was average. Umpires were shocking both ways, not sure how they get simple rules so wrong, one of the darnum blokes on the mark threw the ball back along the ground to our guy and it wasnt a 50. If they cant get this right then theres a problem.
Darnum really struggling and I hope things change next year, no timekeeper in the 1's, no boundary umpire in the 2's.

That was a very solid hit on Goodie.

Nyora must be still horrible if they could only beat Nilma by 5 goals and the ground was in good shape.

Catani back to reality with a hiding to Cora Lynn, although Cora Lynn will do that to a few teams this year, definite flag favourites for mine.

Only 4 teams can win the flag already - Cora Lynn, Dusties, NNS and NNG.

Bunyip, Garfield, Catani etc to make up the numbers. I reckon we'll see the top 4 hand out some huge hidings this year. The gap between the top 4 and bottom 4 is widening.

Didnt realise we didnt have a time keeper in the 1's, the person that was meant to do the boundary was the emergancy from our 2's that never bothered to show up becuase he thought he wasnt going to get a game. Usually the juniors would come up and do our boundary but seeing as we have none its left to other blokes. I hope we looked after the 2 young blokes that helped us out they did a great job considering they could hardly lift the wet ball. our 1's will get a win this year, Nyora only beat us by 1 point after quarter time im pretty sure.

We were terrible Tumbleweed, we are a hell of a lot better than last year though, Darnum did have a good crack though. Already 2 wins up on last year, but probably a long way off the top 6. Ground was ok but the ball was stuffed with all the water lying around.

There is always a big game between the top 4 and bottom of our league, always going to happen in a 15 team league. I dont think its any worse this year than the last 5 years. We won 5 games out of 6 one year by over 200 points, gap was worse that year. The whole league has improved a lot in 10 years but I think the last 2-3 it has probably leveled off.

Yeah not an easy day for those kids, not sure what happened with the time keeper but there wasnt one there.

How long are the quarters these days? Noticed they were only going 21-22 minutes on the weekend. Remember when I first started it wasn't unusual for a quarter to go 35 minutes.

How long are the quarters these days? Noticed they were only going 21-22 minutes on the weekend. Remember when I first started it wasn't unusual for a quarter to go 35 minutes.

They used to be 25 plus time on, now they are meant to be 20 plus time on, same as AFL and other leagues.

I've noticed this in the Mid Gippsland league too. The timekeepers must be keeping the clock running when it should have stopped. If AFL quarters are running about 30-32 minutes on average then the local timekeepers must be doing things differently (even allowing for the long breaks for ads after AFL goals).

It's an absolute joke how short the quarters are. They play 20 mins plus time on but there's no time on for out of bounds and ball ups apparently. The quarters should be at least 25 mins, but probably no more than 30. Anywhere in there would be ideal. Most games are finished by 4:15pm, ridiculous.

Highlights of the day was listening to goodie (biggest guy on ground) comment for 2 quarters on how hard one of our guys hit him with a hip and shoulder, all fair of course. Then to top it off when the siren rang for 3 qtr time goodie complained that play had stopped too far from Nilmas huddle and it was too long of a walk.;););)
as the furtherst possible point away. was bullshit. first time ive gone to the far wing for a contest and last time.

fractured sternum. 4 weeks. halting my impressive comeback.

come on goodie, was right near the scoreboard, I was standing right beside you.

sternum!! Well you did promote the HIT for a few quarters, was alot better than I first thought

Remove this Banner Ad

Back