Fantasy Empire 2015 - RFA Bidding Process

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, but Manning is an easy example when we know he's only got a year left. Others are a lot more uncertain.
Chris Borland comes to mind. Young, retires out of safety/health concerns.
Like we just argued about suspended players, and that's the risks teams have to deal with, then it shouldn't matter about players who unexpectedly retire like Borland. It's the same "tough ****".
Simpler having a blanket rule (no exemption).

Yeah, there were objections to suspensions. I think they were arguing for the ability to put them on IR or something like that. Either way, this should be run like the real thing, thus we should cop it if a guy gets done for smoking some pot.

What's the theory behind the 9 bids? Sort of brings in a pretty ordinary tactic of waiting to be the 9th guy…

Just trialing a different way to do it from last year. Focusing on a) a spreadsheet method that people can themselves add in their bids and have it updated immediately, and b) having players come off the board quicker and simpler than last year's method.

A few points....

- A bid also can end if the total reaches $300. So the same situation exists where the next person could win the bid by taking it to the $300 threshold.

- With only $1,000 total funds, and having to ensure they have enough money kept aside to MATCH bids on their own RFAs, people would therefore bid with more caution, as bids increase into the $200 range. Only those serious would keep bidding. Remember, the owner of the RFA can match at the end, so 'winning' the bid isn't the power position. It's being the owner of the player deciding whether to MATCH or PASS.

- Originally i had it 15 max bids. Changed it to 9 to make players come off the board quicker. But will increase it to 12 now, just to give people a little more chance to not miss out on bidding on a player. Wont affect anything started already.

- Wanted to replicate that NFL "first day of free agency" thing -- where some teams spend big on a few choice players but blow their budget, while other teams snap up the latter day FAs on the cheap.

- An alternative method i wanted was having 16 bid slots, and every team to make one bid only, with the highest bidder winning.....but unfortunately i cant do a "blind bidding" on google spreadsheet.

I just did in the post above yours.

Still not clear how this year's approach offers any material upside over last year's approach, but doesn't matter.

I know I am stupid.

With that in mind, one question - do we HAVE to bid in $50 max increments, and wait until some series of other bids happens to push it past $300, or can we just swoop in with a bid of $301 and it is all over unless someone else matches it?

Like I said, I know I am stupid and I apologise if I missed it if you discussed this elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I am stupid.

With that in mind, one question - do we HAVE to bid in $50 max increments, and wait until some series of other bids happens to push it past $300, or can we just swoop in with a bid of $301 and it is all over unless someone else matches it?

Like I said, I know I am stupid and I apologise if I missed it if you discussed this elsewhere.

Minimum bid is $1, maximum bid is $50.

Once a player hits $300 (which is the ceiling), then he is 'claimed' --- pending whether the owner of the player wants to MATCH the bid or PASS.

If he MATCHES, then he will wear the $300 cost on his $1,000 fund, and keeps the player.
If he PASSES, then the winning bidder wears the $300 cost on his $1,000 fund, and claims the player.

NOTE tho---bids on a player close when one of the following happens first --- 1) he reaches $300 bid, 2) the twelth bid has been made, 3) may 1st.

Minimum bid is $1, maximum bid is $50.

Once a player hits $300 (which is the ceiling), then he is 'claimed' --- pending whether the owner of the player wants to MATCH the bid or PASS.

If he MATCHES, then he will wear the $300 cost on his $1,000 fund, and keeps the player.
If he PASSES, then the winning bidder wears the $300 cost on his $1,000 fund, and claims the player.

NOTE tho---bids on a player close when one of the following happens first --- 1) he reaches $300 bid, 2) the twelth bid has been made, 3) may 1st.

Do not like.

Seems to draw things out and allow people to conserve dollars, instead of encouraging ambit claims and big gambles with a limited bid pool.

But I guess you have decided so that is what it is. I shall leave my trumping bids of $3.25 until April 29, and hope work allows me to take rec leave for the last few days of April...

So you can open bidding on a player (not your own player) by bidding $1, or $2, or $3, etc, or $50.

If you want to place a bid on a player who already has bids on him, you can increase the bid by $1 all the way up to another $50.

You have to enter your bid amount in the next available empty spot.

So if PLAYER X, in the BID 1 cell, got given a $1 bid by GG, then in BID 2 cell got given a bid of $10 by Shupe, and you want to bid on that player, you HAVE TO outbid the $10, putting your bid amount and your name in the BID 3 cell. Raising the current highest bid of $10 by minimum $1 ($11) or maximum $50 ($60).

So you can open bidding on a player (not your own player) by bidding $1, or $2, or $3, etc, or $50.

If you want to place a bid on a player who already has bids on him, you can increase the bid by $1 all the way up to another $50.

You have to enter your bid amount in the next available empty spot.

So if PLAYER X, in the BID 1 cell, got given a $1 bid by GG, then in BID 2 cell got given a bid of $10 by Shupe, and you want to bid on that player, you HAVE TO outbid the $10, putting your bid amount and your name in the BID 3 cell. Raising the current highest bid of $10 by minimum $1 ($11) or maximum $50 ($60).

Yes I get that, but then when I have bid my massive $60 (wheeeeeeee!!) we all get to wait around until May 1, unless some other set of like 8 (or ten or whatever) people bid.

As with the RFA/extended players, wouldn't it be better to get players off the board fast, instead of having everyone doing manic bidding on April 29?

Yes I get that, but then when I have bid my massive $60 (wheeeeeeee!!) we all get to wait around until May 1, unless some other set of like 8 (or ten or whatever) people bid.

As with the RFA/extended players, wouldn't it be better to get players off the board fast, instead of having everyone doing manic bidding on April 29?

Last year's method was too taxing on me.....all manually done on BF.
Wanted to set up the google sheets method, where people all can edit in their bids etc, access it any time.
But....there are limitations to ways of doing it on google sheets.

The way i set it up was in anticipation that it WOULD allow for quick and quicker settlement of RFAs. Well, the "top free agents" would likely get taken quickly.

$300 ceiling (last year was $1000), 12 max bids can go quickly (last year was unlimited bids, with each new outbid needing 7 days before it could be finalized).

I'm trialing this system this year, and will assess and tweak next season.

Last year's method was too taxing on me.....all manually done on BF.
Wanted to set up the google sheets method, where people all can edit in their bids etc, access it any time.
But....there are limitations to ways of doing it on google sheets.

The way i set it up was in anticipation that it WOULD allow for quick and quicker settlement of RFAs. Well, the "top free agents" would likely get taken quickly.

$300 ceiling (last year was $1000), 12 max bids can go quickly (last year was unlimited bids, with each new outbid needing 7 days before it could be finalized).

I'm trialing this system this year, and will assess and tweak next season.

Fair enough. What about EITHER first to $300 OR no better bid for 7/10/14 days means the bid is taken as best bid? (I mean for next season's RFA not now when we are already into the process). Would that be easier on you?

Fair enough. What about EITHER first to $300 OR no better bid for 7/10/14 days means the bid is taken as best bid? (I mean for next season's RFA not now when we are already into the process). Would that be easier on you?

Would be hard to keep track of the 7 days "going once, twice, three times, sold" aspect. People having to type in the date and time of their bid as well. Those bid cells would end up extremely long. And again, people could outbid on the 6th day, and keep extending it another 7 days. There are only 4 weeks in a month, so you have the same problem of players not coming off the board quick, if people keep outbidding.

The "300 or max 12 bids" method will be reached quicker once all 16 owners are actively doing it every day. Easter long weekend, people are inactive.

It doesnt matter anyway that all bidding ends may 1st. Having to wait till then for some non-settled RFAs. As we have time in June to get people to decide who they're matching/passing, sorting out the new contracts for all the won RFAs, etc. Before we do the Draft in July.

But I'm looking to assess this system, and can only do that once we see it in action, the pros/cons, areas it can be improved.

I assumed we could automate the 7/10/14 thingo vioa bidding on the MFL website, if only to take the workload off of you. But if not then the 1 May / 12 bids system is OK.
Cant do the RFA Process on the MFL site.

Has to be done manually. I DID suggest that idea to site admin, creating an RFA Process, a blind bidding method where only the 0 year contract players are involved, etc. And they said, great idea....but never did anything about it.

What we have is...

RFA Bidding Process in April.

Then just after the draft is completed end of July. Thru the month of August we do have a blind bidding waiver process ($1,000) that is done on the MFL site, which involves all the unrestricted free agents, all the players not on teams, without a contract, so people can fill up their rosters just before the season starts, and make last minute roster moves.

But cannot set up a blind bidding system on MFL that just involves our RFAs.

Cant do the RFA Process on the MFL site.

Has to be done manually. I DID suggest that idea to site admin, creating an RFA Process, a blind bidding method where only the 0 year contract players are involved, etc. And they said, great idea....but never did anything about it.

What we have is...

RFA Bidding Process in April.

Then just after the draft is completed end of July. Thru the month of August we do have a blind bidding waiver process ($1,000) that is done on the MFL site, which involves all the unrestricted free agents, all the players not on teams, without a contract, so people can fill up their rosters just before the season starts, and make last minute roster moves.

But cannot set up a blind bidding system on MFL that just involves our RFAs.

Oh OK cool. I might be able to get a site to set up to do it for us - just basically a spreadsheet tracker system (kind of like google docs) but with automated cutoffs - let me look into it for next year.

Oh OK cool. I might be able to get a site to set up to do it for us - just basically a spreadsheet tracker system (kind of like google docs) but with automated cutoffs - let me look into it for next year.
That would be fantastic.

If that meant....a simple website created, can copy_paste all the data I create in a spreadsheet into the database of the site, and people register and log in to the site come April....where we conduct the RFA Process itself, on that site. Which tracks activity, which allows for blind bids too, and allows people to select MATCH/PASS on their RFAs, and also type in the new 3-5 year contracts they want.

Then I can simply have it open in one browser tab, and have the MFL site open in another tab, and just fill in all the new info into the MFL site, which doesnt take that long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back