Do we need a new VFL coach?

• Yes

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There are few blokes on your list that I reckon will not be there next season
I know,But whoever we replace them with will be on our Senior/Rookie list so they would get preference if all available.
The coach is a sitting duck atm. Really wouldn't be hard to upgrade and I reckon German could easily implement the tiger game plan more successfully at VFL level
He might very well be capable,But is he willing to accept its not his team?
Yeah I reckon I had a bit of a bias towards Coburg boys , but they passed us twice in a season:eek:
Fair enough.But against a full strength Reserves side they would struggle.

I know,But whoever we replace them with will be on our Senior/Rookie list so they would get preference if all available.

He might very well be capable,But is he willing to accept its not his team?
Fair enough.But against a full strength Reserves side they would struggle.
Round one at Coburg we were near full strength and Tyrone Lennon and CEllis played
My point more on the VFL listed players was that there is better guys out there and they should be poached
It would be interesting the average number of non afl players we played Per game

It's only the 2nd year we've had a standalone VFL (started in 2014) its going to take time to build it up and get it in line with the seniors similar to what hardwick has done. The pitchforks and torches need to hold off and give them time, we don't have the Eddie McFatchin's money so its going to be slow going for a while

Round one at Coburg we were near full strength and Tyrone Lennon and CEllis played
My point more on the VFL listed players was that there is better guys out there and they should be poached
It would be interesting the average number of non afl players we played Per game
The better VFL players IMO should go the Ports,Coburgs,Ballarat etc.We need to encourage kids to play our sport at the highest level possible.

The better VFL players IMO should go the Ports,Coburgs,Ballarat etc.We need to encourage kids to play our sport at the highest level possible.
Its the same comp, how is it a higher level?
The fact the get to play with/learn from full time professionals and expose themselves to an AFL club is a pretty attractive idea right?

Its the same comp, how is it a higher level?
The fact the get to play with/learn from full time professionals and expose themselves to an AFL club is a pretty attractive idea right?
Well the Highest level outside being an an AFL list.
While i agree with your 2nd point to a degree,I'd rather play for a stand alone where your being noticed and not ignored.

Why does everyone not rate Arnot? Everytime he came into the team, he did his job: he got possies, he laid tackles and kicked a goal. Yeah he has some flaws, but he has never been given a decent crack in the seniors. But I dont see any VFL games up north, so is there something that I dont get to see?

That's outrageous too as guys like kingy saad foley nahas Ben Brown and all the hundreds of other non drafted players would never get a chance
Just bc you're drafted it doesn't neccessarily mean you're going to make it .look at all the delistings each year
We need a competitive VFL team with every player competent and capable at performing to a high standard , not top u guys like Conca jr who drops the standards

That's outrageous too as guys like kingy saad foley nahas Ben Brown and all the hundreds of other non drafted players would never get a chance
Just bc you're drafted it doesn't neccessarily mean you're going to make it .look at all the delistings each year
We need a competitive VFL team with every player competent and capable at performing to a high standard , not top u guys like Conca jr who drops the standards
What happens to the Likes of Port,Coburg,Frankston etc if the stonger afl clubs take the cream of the crop.Needs to be a balance thats why i'm not overly concerned about the results of our ressies,As long as they getting developed the right way etc then i,m happy with that.

Definitely need a new coach as he doesn't have the eye to get decent VFL players up and running. Also he was continually playing sides with too many talls. Any fool could see we needed more run and carry players with extra mids especially when we had Conca short CEllis and a few other smalls constantly injured
A step backwards this year
Operation get Peter German and bring along Younan Johns Hartley Ozzie and McConnell and we will be a ten goal better team instantly
Little Conca wouldn't get a game in the EDFL let alone VFL so heavy and slow
McBean will make it
Short has potential
Arnot delist
Madonna stuff if I know as he shows heaps at VFL level , but hasn't taken his limited opportunities in the AFL
Dave trade and Todd give him two more years
Thomas VFL capitano
All the kids stay and develop them

We broke away from Coburg to get better I'm struggling to see any improvement with the current set up
Cmon RfC invest in our future.
Can I ask what do you do with the extra afl listed talls? Just get rested?

Why does everyone not rate Arnot? Everytime he came into the team, he did his job: he got possies, he laid tackles and kicked a goal. Yeah he has some flaws, but he has never been given a decent crack in the seniors. But I dont see any VFL games up north, so is there something that I dont get to see?

He's just a bit vanilla. Okay disposal, okay pace, okay ball winning ability. He's not bad per se, but he's not necessarily good either. As a midfielder I think he just lacks the standout attributes to really make it in the AFL. His good form as a small defender recently might help him out a bit, as he seems to be able to shut down an opponent and offer good rebound as well as the ability to go into the middle if needed.

I'd be happy to keep him as a rookie for another year, given the weak draft. I don't mind him as depth.

What happens to the Likes of Port,Coburg,Frankston etc if the stonger afl clubs take the cream of the crop.Needs to be a balance thats why i'm not overly concerned about the results of our ressies,As long as they getting developed the right way etc then i,m happy with that.
We all know the inevitable with the way the VFL will end up
It will be dominated by the afl clubs and the stand alone clubs will eventually fold
My future club Frankston lost every game this year and will most likely fold. I like your reasoning and nice man logic , but in this world clubs like Collingwood Hawks/box Hill want the best young players on their VFL lists as they couldn't give a damn about the Coburgs of the VFL
Rfc needs to move with them and ensure they have the best players IMO

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the max no. of AFL listed players a VFL team can have? because it seems to me if they set a max or change the list sizes to accomodate AFL aligned VFL clubs and "traditional" VFL clubs they will increase the competitiveness to help development of players
Good question I would suspect if you're a stand alone afl club you should be able to play your whole list if they're not injured
I'm not sure though
The rfc had a hell of a lot of injuries from mid season onwards so getting a good batch of replacements from lesser comps was tough . I don't know if we have feeder clubs or comps like Coburg. They get most of their kids from the EDFL and even the ex TAC players that weren't drafted in the previous year

Last edited:
We all know the inevitable with the way the VFL will end up
It will be dominated by the afl clubs and the stand alone clubs will eventually fold
My future club Frankston lost every game this year and will most likely fold. I like your reasoning and nice man logic , but in this world clubs like Collingwood Hawks/box Hill want the best young players on their VFL lists as they couldn't give a damn about the Coburgs of the VFL
Rfc needs to move with them and ensure they have the best players IMO
Don't think the dolphins will fold, but they might just play MPNFL, if it gets real bad. The ground just got a new club room to boot.

I'd add to Spluff's bit that the games I've seen Arnot play at VFL, he hasn't stood out. He looks like a VFL-level player. You see Conca, Astbury, McBean and Knights, and they stand out like dog's balls. Even Hampson. VFL workhorse seems to be where Arnot fits.

I would love to see him succeed at AFL, but IMO, he has never looked likely (except in that moment he decked Rory Thompson, which was a thing of great beauty).

I wonder if anyone has suggested that Arnot lose some bulk? He clearly has a solid aerobic capacity for a bloke with his current hulk-like physique. If he trimmed down and got some additional fitness/speed he could be a different player.
Could he be turned into a tagger? if he could run all day then he should be able to take a small forward and lock them down

s**t year for the team but i'm not overly disappointed in Tim Clark TBH.

McBean is a far superior player compared to last year, much more involved and playing as KPF/Ruck

The development of McKenzie has been super impressive

The development of Lennon from the start of the year to the end has been sensational. Can really been seen in his AFL performances.

Similar with Lloyd.

The bigger problem is how awful our VFL listed players are.
I agree with most of this, except the call that our VFL listed players are awful. I honestly believe the problem is that we have had very little consistency through the side with most of our senior players going down. But then again Cachia and Mcqualter have really been our only consistent VFL listed players

We need our VFL team to be playing finals so that we can have our depth players staying match-ready if they're needed for our finals games.

They get the cream of the crop because it's more enjoyable to play for them.

Imagine you're a quality VFL standard player.

Do you play for an AFL reserves team, where you'll get moved around whenever the coaches feel a kid should play in your spot, and winning comes second to development, or do you play for a VFL team where it's all about winning, and if you're good enough, you'll hold the spot you know/want to play in?

As an added benefit, playing for a stand alone team allows you to showcase your skills and abilities better meaning you've got a better chance of being drafted.

They get the cream of the crop because it's more enjoyable to play for them.

Imagine you're a quality VFL standard player.

Do you play for an AFL reserves team, where you'll get moved around whenever the coaches feel a kid should play in your spot, and winning comes second to development, or do you play for a VFL team where it's all about winning, and if you're good enough, you'll hold the spot you know/want to play in?

As an added benefit, playing for a stand alone team allows you to showcase your skills and abilities better meaning you've got a better chance of being drafted.
This is a load of hog wash as stand alone clubs cannot afford to pay for quality
As soon as a good player comes in they as you say get poached
Just like Saad last year
Coburgs team changes drastically from season to season
This year we picked up 3 delisted afl players:eek:and topped up with kids from TAC that didn't get drafted
Ask Oz where he would want to be playing? Punt rd is his answer
Imagine Frankstons guys or list as they went winless. Cannot see afl clubs knocking on their doors
German argues that it's hard to prepare or build a list with so many players going for better opportunities
Coburg will most likely lose two top liners next season bc of work and travel commitments plus greener pastures
No excuse for having below VFL standard players on the rfc list

Last edited:
Back