Energy Drinks

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This thread as good as any. I regularly (2-3 times a week) drink one to avoid the late afternoon tiredness, or if I have a big night of work I'll have one 2 hours or so before finishing for a boost.

Mental placebo or not, they definitely work.

I've heard bad things about the chemicals used in the zero sugar products, which are the ones I tend to prefer.

What are your thoughts on the Nil sugar, nil carb, nil everything drinks? eg Monster Zero, RB Zero, etc.

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I used to drink them regularly (3-5 cans a week) when working 12 hour night shifts, but now I might get a Red Bull or V once every few months. I always liked V the best and the fact the can was quite small meant I didn't feel to bad about it. I shudder these days when I see 12-13 year old kids sucking on half litre cans of Monster, almost as much as I shudder when I see grown men wearing the merchandise.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I used to drink them - prior to exercise, manual labour or after a big night out to help recovery.

But I wanted to lose some pud and started to read a little; 80mg caffeine = 1 espresso coffee, 5g sugar = 1 teaspoon

Mother 500ml = 160mg caffeine, 52g sugar
Red Bull 250ml = 80mg caffeine, 27g sugar + Taurine
V 250ml = 77.5mg caffeine, 26.5g sugar + Guarana + Taurine
Monster 500ml = 160mg caffeine, 54g sugar + Taurine + l-carnitine + Ginseng +Guarana

So they're basically all the same for caffeine and sugar. But what a sh*t-tonne of sugar.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I stopped the energy drinks. The monster one was my favourite but it was hard to give up.

Not worth it , you'll get heart problems in the future if you continue

Once I had 3 Monsters and when I went to take a piss, it was green fml :(

"Raging Devils"

When Hartz first launched their "Devils" range (various spirit and lolly water combinations), they had one range which was bright blue. So bright in fact it was slightly luminescent.

We were invited to the launch party, and as the other 'colours' were so sweet (Red, Green, Orange, Cola IIRC), I drank these blue monstrosities, which were slightly sour, and a 'zing' similar to a red eye platinum if anyone ever drank those.

So, there were two issues with these glowing blue devils. One: They were caffeine+++, with each drink the equivalent of a redbull, and two (as I discovered about an hour, and four drinks in)...

The toilets at this venue were woefully inadequate, with only two cubicles for the mens. After waiting an eternity, the stall opened, only to reveal no light. Shutting the door behind me left me in pitch black....that is until I relieved myself, which bathed the bowl and walls in an unholy blue light.

I never did finish that drink.

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
"Raging Devils"

When Hartz first launched their "Devils" range (various spirit and lolly water combinations), they had one range which was bright blue. So bright in fact it was slightly luminescent.

We were invited to the launch party, and as the other 'colours' were so sweet (Red, Green, Orange, Cola IIRC), I drank these blue monstrosities, which were slightly sour, and a 'zing' similar to a red eye platinum if anyone ever drank those.

So, there were two issues with these glowing blue devils. One: They were caffeine+++, with each drink the equivalent of a redbull, and two (as I discovered about an hour, and four drinks in)...

The toilets at this venue were woefully inadequate, with only two cubicles for the mens. After waiting an eternity, the stall opened, only to reveal no light. Shutting the door behind me left me in pitch black....that is until I relieved myself, which bathed the bowl and walls in an unholy blue light.

I never did finish that drink.

WHAT! wow a blue light/ I'm guessing it scared you a bit. It scared me when my piss was green........

you need about 3-4 monster drinks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415155599.115003.jpg

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've heard bad things about the chemicals used in the zero sugar products, which are the ones I tend to prefer.

What are your thoughts on the Nil sugar, nil carb, nil everything drinks? eg Monster Zero, RB Zero, etc.

People are obsessed about sugar alternatives for some reason. they’ve been exhaustively studied and found to be perfectly safe.

crownie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
usually have about 2 a week but I prefer the ice coffee drinks for energy at work.

no way should they be used for sport and I would never have more then one a day, that's crazy!

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
'Servings per package: 4'

Like people are gonna leave it in the fridge for a few days.

'Servings per package' is a joke.

I had a look at the 'per serve' stuff on a bag of Red Rock Deli chips the other week. There was something like 15 or 20 servings per packet.

Trying to remember the last time I shared a bag of chips with 15-20 people or ate one over the course of 15-20 days...

Book Reader

Draftee
Suspended
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
So glad I don't drink those energy drinks these days.
I used to but they became too expensive for me to buy so I stopped.
If anything the journo who wrote the article needs to survey the local universities and tafes before claiming that women drink more of them. I think he would be surprised.

What is your new soft drink of choice?

Jul 7, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames
Could never drink them without feeling weird afterwards, so I just don't tend to drink energy drinks.

Little bit off topic but this came up on Facebook the other day and thought it was entertaining

Back