English Premier League soccer ⚽

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
But aren't they the "up and comers?"
Yeah they're this seasons trailblazers. Most expected them to struggle this year after having 4 of their best players poached by bigger clubs but they spent that money very very well it seems. As the very least after their strong start they were expected to have faded by now (which they still may well do) but they've been super impressive so far to be in third ahead of much more fancied teams.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
I asked this on the association football board (and got shot down by a rabid gooner) but I am very interested to hear your thoughts as to who is better, Diego Costa or Sanchez, so far this season.

Sanchez, I rate very highly, but right now Costa has been absolutely brilliant for Chelsea, seemed to have bit of a form slump around Xmas, but he tore Newcastle apart on the weekend, I just think Costa has the edge right now.

But you'd love either in your team TBH

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
I asked this on the association football board (and got shot down by a rabid gooner) but I am very interested to hear your thoughts as to who is better, Diego Costa or Sanchez, so far this season.

Sanchez, I rate very highly, but right now Costa has been absolutely brilliant for Chelsea, seemed to have bit of a form slump around Xmas, but he tore Newcastle apart on the weekend, I just think Costa has the edge right now.

But you'd love either in your team TBH
I honestly can't split them. Costa started like an absolute house on fire while Sanchez took a little while to acclimatise. Sanchez has really come along now, especially while Costa was having his little quiet time.
Costa has 23 games for 15 goals and Sanchez has 30 games for 18 goals.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea are 4-0 up away to Chelsea with 5 mins left in the first half. Oh dear :)

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Plucky ol Cambridge, holding Man U to a famous win at their stomping ground (and arguably unlucky not getting the chocolates)

United is in trouble, Fellani and Di Maria were woeful today, age and injury seems to have caught up to RVP.

United seems to be paying the price now for not having invested heavily into a youth academy like Arsenal or Man City.

Have to wonder if LVG can survive if Man Utd fail to qualify for The Champions League or the FA Cup .. The natives are starting to get restless.

TGR

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2003
here
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Plucky ol Cambridge, holding Man U to a famous win at their stomping ground (and arguably unlucky not getting the chocolates)

United is in trouble, Fellani and Di Maria were woeful today, age and injury seems to have caught up to RVP.

United seems to be paying the price now for not having invested heavily into a youth academy like Arsenal or Man City.

Have to wonder if LVG can survive if Man Utd fail to qualify for The Champions League or the FA Cup .. The natives are starting to get restless.

I agree but without the said infrastructure, would anybody else do better. They need to give him more time, he's a quality manager.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
I've just watched the highlights of Bradford City's 4-2 win over Chelsea. The Bantams may be sixth in Division 1 but the four goals were sensational. I'm not sure how any team could have stopped them.

The highlights were part of a you tube package of the 10 greatest upsets in FA Cup history in today's digital Age.

Of course Sunderland's 1-0 triumph over Leeds United in the 1973 Final is one of the ten. Looking back on it now Rod Stewart influenced a lot of coiffure in those days. Porterfield's goal in the first half took a great deal of defending but Dave Watson, the central defender, was Sunderland's answer to Bruce Doull. Montgomery's double save in the second half cannot be topped for brilliance and I suggest you watch the highlights a couple of times to convince yourselves it was achieved by a mere mortal. Jimmy Hill does the special comments which brought a smile to my dial. His crooked goatee is timeless in the annals of FA history. I wonder why he wasn't told:rolleyes: