English Premier League soccer ⚽

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't believe it when I heard the match summary this morning. Haven't seen any vision yet, but it sure does sound like we relaxed for the last 10-15 minutes and Palace pounced. Overall, still pretty happy with our season and with the squad we've got that we've been able to compete with the cashed up squads of Man City & Chelsea.
Relaxed is a massive understatement. Rodgers got that all wrong. Has done brilliantly to get you where you are this morning but he's cracked big time under the pressure over the last month or so.

Relaxed is a massive understatement. Rodgers got that all wrong. Has done brilliantly to get you where you are this morning but he's cracked big time under the pressure over the last month or so.

Rogers has been fantastic for Liverpool throughout the year but I don't think you can throw the blame at him. Steven Gerard slipping over against Chelsea and then pushing hard to equalise and a mistake by a defender cost us the second.

And I don't know what happened this morning, but I find it hard to lay the blame at his feet for 3 goals in 10 minutes.

Rogers has been fantastic for Liverpool throughout the year but I don't think you can throw the blame at him. Steven Gerard slipping over against Chelsea and then pushing hard to equalise and a mistake by a defender cost us the second.

And I don't know what happened this morning, but I find it hard to lay the blame at his feet for 3 goals in 10 minutes.
Played the wrong tactics against Chelsea. Admittedly Chelsea got lucky a little bit.

This morning they were busy trying to score 10 goals to close the gap to City. Forgot to defend. Rodgers needed to put on some defensive players instead of the 3 attacking players that went on.

A win was far more important than goal difference this morning.

Played the wrong tactics against Chelsea. Admittedly Chelsea got lucky a little bit.

This morning they were busy trying to score 10 goals to close the gap to City. Forgot to defend. Rodgers needed to put on some defensive players instead of the 3 attacking players that went on.

A win was far more important than goal difference this morning.

Ok fair enough. Really enjoying the EPL, but don't really get the nuances and subtleties of the game.
Bit weird that we were 3-0 after 58 minutes and then held firm for 20 minutes before Palace scored their first.

Still, pretty happy that we're playing Champions League next season and will be able build our squad over the summer transfer period.

Ok fair enough. Really enjoying the EPL, but don't really get the nuances and subtleties of the game.
Bit weird that we were 3-0 after 58 minutes and then held firm for 20 minutes before Palace scored their first.

Still, pretty happy that we're playing Champions League next season and will be able build our squad over the summer transfer period.
Yeah been a great season for a Liverpool fan! I'm just finally happy that my team has finally been promoted back there after 10 years! Cannot wait for next season!

Yeah been a great season for a Liverpool fan! I'm just finally happy that my team has finally been promoted back there after 10 years! Cannot wait for next season!

I know we were all dreaming of the title, but unfortunately for us the season was just too long to sustain that real top shelf football. Still, a bloody good effort to only lose one game this calendar year.

I know we were all dreaming of the title, but unfortunately for us the season was just too long to sustain that real top shelf football. Still, a bloody good effort to only lose one game this calendar year.
10000231-00-00-00-00_lg.png

Sunderland have done it style. Top of the form ladder in the EPL. Now I've got another year of watching the top teams battle it out while Sunderland struggles to avoid relegation. Wouldn't be dead for quids:thumbsu:

Sunderland have done it style. Top of the form ladder in the EPL. Now I've got another year of watching the top teams battle it out while Sunderland struggles to avoid relegation. Wouldn't be dead for quids:thumbsu:

What an amazing run by Sunderland.
They were stone motherless last about 2 months ago, and have come from the clouds to to be safe from relegation 1 week from the final weekend of matches. Remarkable.

Sunderland are in an incredible run of form. Looked gone for all money for most of the season, but 4 wins on the trot with a very realistic chance of a 5th on the weekend is a great result for them.

Let's also not forget Crystal Palace who have been equally as impressive of late. Their form at the back end of the season (particularly away from home) has been incredible. 4 wins and a draw from their past 6 matches and 3 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss from their past 6 away matches. Tony Pulis is an absolute magician as a manager and has them all the way up in 11th spot. A lot of credit also has to go to their captain, and Australia's likely WC captain Mile Jedinak, who has been an absolute beast for them through the middle of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a relatively short break between season finishing and 14-15 starting. I keep an eye on Sunderland's ins and outs and it follows a similar pattern to the AFL. The Manager, Coach, Money Men etc are now planning furiously for next season. We'd be looking in the bargain basement for players valued under £10,000,000. I nearly fell off my chair when they paid £13,000,000 for Connor Wickham. Now while all that is going on the 'Rumour Mill' will be in full swing. This keeps the fans engaged during the off-season. Loan players like Borrini (Liverpool) and Alonzo (Fiorentina) head back to their clubs. A couple of seasons ago United loaned Welbeck to Sunderland for a season because it saw the value for him playing first grade with Sunderland. Borrini is a skilful player with a wicked right foot. I'd be surprised if he played at Sunderland next season. There are always free transfers in the off-season. A bit like free agency except this is the club rewarding a guy who has given good service and is looking to wind down in a lower league. I think Seb Larsen is in this category. Finally you may have players that other teams like the look of. Sunderland lost its goalkeeper last year in this situation. This is where the Money Men get involved and decide if it's time to get a return on the initial investment.

I think this is the way it works although I'm no expert.

Has the transfer window opened yet?

Jatz
Robbo's my hero

Pretty sure it opens officially in July.

Very slow process usually which will only be made worse by the World Cup.

Jeremias is correct. 'Officially' opens then.

Most clubs will already be working on deals now though and it won't be unusual to see deals 'made' (in principle). They just can't be officially processed until the window officially opens.

The summer transfer window is one of the best times as a footballer, offers new hope each season! Especially for a club that has just just been promoted! :);)

Jeremias is also correct with the World Cup playing an impact. Some sides will want to get get deals done before the World Cup because if a player has a strong tournament, it drives their value up. Similarly for a selling club, if a player has a poor World Cup it can lower their value. That is all vice versa as well.

Last edited:
It's a relatively short break between season finishing and 14-15 starting. I keep an eye on Sunderland's ins and outs and it follows a similar pattern to the AFL. The Manager, Coach, Money Men etc are now planning furiously for next season. We'd be looking in the bargain basement for players valued under £10,000,000. I nearly fell off my chair when they paid £13,000,000 for Connor Wickham. Now while all that is going on the 'Rumour Mill' will be in full swing. This keeps the fans engaged during the off-season. Loan players like Borrini (Liverpool) and Alonzo (Fiorentina) head back to their clubs. A couple of seasons ago United loaned Welbeck to Sunderland for a season because it saw the value for him playing first grade with Sunderland. Borrini is a skilful player with a wicked right foot. I'd be surprised if he played at Sunderland next season. There are always free transfers in the off-season. A bit like free agency except this is the club rewarding a guy who has given good service and is looking to wind down in a lower league. I think Seb Larsen is in this category. Finally you may have players that other teams like the look of. Sunderland lost its goalkeeper last year in this situation. This is where the Money Men get involved and decide if it's time to get a return on the initial investment.

I think this is the way it works although I'm no expert.
Wickham looks brilliant, great pick up for your mob. Borini would be an outside chance of staying at Sunderland if the club wants him, he won't play a part for Liverpool for next season.

Borini would be an outside chance of staying at Sunderland if the club wants him, he won't play a part for Liverpool for next season.

Not sure that's correct.

Clearly he won't be a regular starter with both Suarez and Sturridge well ahead of him, but Liverpool's fixture will be a fair bit busier next year with them back in the Champions League.

If he does return to Liverpool I reckon there'll be quite a number of opportunities for him throughout the season

Not sure that's correct.

Clearly he won't be a regular starter with both Suarez and Sturridge well ahead of him, but Liverpool's fixture will be a fair bit busier next year with them back in the Champions League.

If he does return to Liverpool I reckon there'll be quite a number of opportunities for him throughout the season
I wouldn't have thought so. Borini found his right level at Sunderland, I wouldn't be surprised for Liverpool to get in some new attacking strength. When players like Aspas and Borini signed, Liverpool were a mid table club. Now they are a Champions League club and should be able to attract anyone they want. There should be a bit of a clean out this off season for Liverpool.