English Premier League soccer ⚽

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a derogatory term used by Newcastle supporters to distinguish themselves from their fellow Geordies. It's not how people from Sunderland refer to themselves. Common usage doesn't make it acceptable.
Well that was not my understanding. Bit like referring to someone from Liverpool as a scouser, I would not think it is a derogatory term either.

Anyway, I do apologise Robbo for using the term and wont in any future posts.

It's a derogatory term used by Newcastle supporters to distinguish themselves from their fellow Geordies. It's not how people from Sunderland refer to themselves. Common usage doesn't make it acceptable.
There's nothing unacceptable about it. The rest of the league doesn't use it offensively at all - that's what Sunderland fans are known as.

As AA said, it's no different to NSW calling Victorians mexicans. Or Liverpool fans, bin dippers.

There's nothing unacceptable about it. The rest of the league doesn't use it offensively at all - that's what Sunderland fans are known as.

As AA said, it's no different to NSW calling Victorians mexicans. Or Liverpool fans, bin dippers.
Will have to disagree. Bin Dippers? This could open up a new can of worms.

Will have to disagree. Bin Dippers? This could open up a new can of worms.
It's been a term used for decades. Term of endearment to the scousers.

The only reason I know most (I don't know every single Sunderland fan) fans don't mind Mackems is that I've got several mates from the area. They enjoy being separate to the Geordies haha.

3-0 and 6 in a row. Ha way the lads! Come on Magpies we need some competition in these games.

Mark Bosnich is an idiot. It was a penalty every day of the year. The red card was harsh but the block on Fletcher was a cynical foul. A yellow card was more appropriate but the Ref made the decision.

I believe Sunderland is now above Aston Villa and Newcastle on the table.

One of the more boring Manchester derbies I can remember overnight, finishing in a goalless draw.

Neither side created much by way of clear scoring opportunities, with Lingard perhaps having the best chance of the game late on when he hit the crossbar.

Thats pretty unusual for a derby isn't it?
I thought they were mostly pretty entertaining games.

Thats pretty unusual for a derby isn't it?
I thought they were mostly pretty entertaining games.

Yes, it is - there are usually plenty of goals in the derby. This morning was just the third time since 2004 that there has been no goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 bloody 2 and one of them were own goal.

Not much defending in this game. Sunderland hit the woodwork twice before Everton scored against the run of play. Kone then scored a nice goal on the half hour. Everton were on top and looking for a third. Sunderland managed an injury time goal from Defoe. Nice work to put it past the goalkeeper. 2-1 at half time. Early in the second half Fletcher found the back of the net with a header to make it 2 all. In less than ten minutes Everton scored 3 times. An own goal from Coates, Lukakas and Kone again. Sunderland continued to attack despite the score line. Everton's 6th was a cracker. It came out of nothing. Lukakas casually hit the ball with his left boot and it curled in the air away from the keeper, Kone headed it past the keeper for his hat trick.

Allardyce played with a back three tonight. When stopping goals is a problem I would have preferred more conventional tactics.

When do we play Newcastle again?:cry:

6 bloody 2 and one of them were own goal.

Not much defending in this game. Sunderland hit the woodwork twice before Everton scored against the run of play. Kone then scored a nice goal on the half hour. Everton were on top and looking for a third. Sunderland managed an injury time goal from Defoe. Nice work to put it past the goalkeeper. 2-1 at half time. Early in the second half Fletcher found the back of the net with a header to make it 2 all. In less than ten minutes Everton scored 3 times. An own goal from Coates, Lukakas and Kone again. Sunderland continued to attack despite the score line. Everton's 6th was a cracker. It came out of nothing. Lukakas casually hit the ball with his left boot and it curled in the air away from the keeper, Kone headed it past the keeper for his hat trick.

Allardyce played with a back three tonight. When stopping goals is a problem I would have preferred more conventional tactics.

When do we play Newcastle again?:cry:
Didn't get the usual dodgey refereeing decisions this morning Robbo :D

The Ref is a jinx. The last time he reffed a Sunderland game we lost to Southhampton 8-0.

Was the send off reversed from last week's game?
I believe the red card for Colocinni was rescinded.

I believe the red card for Colocinni was rescinded.
It was rescinded but the club copped a fine for not controlling its players.

I thought it was a penalty and a yellow card. My son thought it was a penalty and a red card. I've just read an article where two experts saw it differently. One thought it was a red, the other a clumsy foul.