Sports Epic sporting matches you missed..

Remove this Banner Ad

Due to.... Sleep... had something you thought was better to do... a date??? A hangover? a ****ing wedding.

Post away here.

For me 3 stand out:
- Rafter v Ivanisevich (sp?) Wimbledon final. The king of all epic tennis finals, was played over 2 days ffs and I was working in a summer camp in the middle of ****ing nowhere and missed the whole thing. Mum taped it for me and I watched it when I got back, but it wasnt the same. :(

- Kyrgios v Nadal, again Wimbledon. I was on holidays, I could sleep all I wanted to the next day, but after the 2nd set, I chose sleep. Mother ****er.

- Semi Final World Cup (Cricket): cant recall the year??? was v South Africa? I set my alarm for something like 3am to watch the last few hours of the match, but instead rolled over and went back to sleep. I woke up at 8am, to find out I missed the best ever end to a cricket match of all time. (well i think anyway, gough might have something to say about that...)

Last edited:
The 2011 AFL Grand Final

img-1732677-1-nooooooooooo__span.jpg

My friend at work, life long Geelong supporter was on a cruise for the 07 one.

I remember being mightily annoyed that I had school when we were chasing 369 against Pakistan down in Hobart in 1999. I got home about five minutes after they hit the winning run. That was Gilchrist's famous 149.

I also decided not to go to the footy the day we played North Melbourne at the MCG in 2001. That was, of course, the 'comeback' game- 69 points to be exact. My father still went and thirteen years later, he still regularly reminds me that he was there to see it and I wasn't.

I've also missed just one Boxing Day Test in the past sixteen years- and that was 2006 against England, which just happened to be when Warne took his 700th wicket.

I was overseas for the 2013 prelim. The worst thing is I had attended every Hawthorn/Geelong game since and including the '08 grand final. Just missed out on a classic win

I also decided not to go to the footy the day we played North Melbourne at the MCG in 2001. That was, of course, the 'comeback' game- 69 points to be exact. My father still went and thirteen years later, he still regularly reminds me that he was there to see it and I wasn't.
A friend of mine was on his way from Bendigo to go see that match with his dad and on the way their car broke down. He's still shitty about that :D

Steve Waugh's 100 of the last over (last ball?) at the SCG. We were living right next to the ground at the time (literally 300 metre walk to the entrance) and I had a ticket to the ground but didn't think much was gonna happen in the afternoon session so just watched on the TV. Don't know why I didn't race over with half an hour to go. Anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know my brother walked out of an Essendon final one year. Doss you might know which one, perhaps v West Coast and you came back to win it?
Possible. We've never lost to West Coast in a final. I was at the 2002 one and we did trail in the third quarter but ended up winning pretty easily.

Possible. We've never lost to West Coast in a final. I was at the 2002 one and we did trail in the third quarter but ended up winning pretty easily.

Nah I think this one was in the 90s??? IDK...

As far as footy goes, will never forgive my brain fade as I walked from the Riccardi v Carlton match in a rage. Missed his kick after the siren. Missed this years epic v Freo at KP due to the flu.

Dont have many other regrets re. footy, have been at all our Grand Finals since 1995 so no issues there.

Nah I think this one was in the 90s??? IDK...

As far as footy goes, will never forgive my brain fade as I walked from the Riccardi v Carlton match in a rage. Missed his kick after the siren. Missed this years epic v Freo at KP due to the flu.

Dont have many other regrets re. footy, have been at all our Grand Finals since 1995 so no issues there.
We played them in four finals in the 1990s and they were all easy wins (two were thrashings), so maybe it was against someone else.

We did come from a long way behind to beat Adelaide in the 1993 prelim, that one maybe?

I missed watching Hamish Macintosh miss after the siren against us to win in Round 1, 2012. When he took the mark I walked out the back of the stand in disgust. Came running back in full of beans when he missed, though. :D

We played them in four finals in the 1990s and they were all easy wins (two were thrashings), so maybe it was against someone else.

We did come from a long way behind to beat Adelaide in the 1993 prelim, that one maybe?

I missed watching Hamish Macintosh miss after the siren against us to win in Round 1, 2012. When he took the mark I walked out the back of the stand in disgust. Came running back in full of beans when he missed, though. :D

Yup that rings a bell. He walked out at half time apparently.

Steve Waugh's 100 of the last over (last ball?) at the SCG. We were living right next to the ground at the time (literally 300 metre walk to the entrance) and I had a ticket to the ground but didn't think much was gonna happen in the afternoon session so just watched on the TV. Don't know why I didn't race over with half an hour to go. Anyway.
was driving back from coober pedy that day. listened all day, then got caught in a radio blackspot for the last 2 balls

my old man - crows supporter - walked out of the MCG 15 mins into the last quarter of the 97 prelim final and got on the train back to my aunties. didn't beleive us when we told him we'd won

my old man - crows supporter - walked out of the MCG 15 mins into the last quarter of the 97 prelim final and got on the train back to my aunties. didn't beleive us when we told him we'd won
Why on earth do people do this? I remember reading about Man City fans leaving during injury time in that match against QPR where they won the title.

Just pure insanity - I'd never leave a final/big match early in any circumstances.

Why on earth do people do this? I remember reading about Man City fans leaving during injury time in that match against QPR where they won the title.

Just pure insanity - I'd never leave a final/big match early in any circumstances.
no idea at all - he missed probably the best 10 mins of football the crows have ever had

I was having a smoke during the tea break on the last day of the Test and was amazed at how many people were leaving. More fool them I guess, they missed the ending of a match that is now lodged in my top three Tests of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back