English Premier League soccer ⚽

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah even hockey has moved on from hockey 1 hockey 2
Imagine sumo without the ceremonial breaking of wind before the bout
Come on smith we need traditions

Because winning is more important that shaking someone's hand.

Don't moan about it. You support Man U, your club created this mentality in the English game.

Your club is repsonsible for turning English football into the boring, money driven shitfest it is now sadly.

Change clubs if you're so bothered with what's wrong with society and the world in general.

You are really clutching at straws here. To be honest I'm not sure why I am even bothering with this.

The club I support is completely irrelevant. That you can't address the issue at hand without bringing that into it speaks volumes for your 'argument'.

Yes, I support Manchester United. That in no way means I can't see a s**t human being, and a s**t act when I see one. And that's exactly what Suarez has shown himself to be throughout this whole ordeal.

If you believe that winning is more important than being a decent human being, then I'm sorry but there's something wrong with you.

Sometimes winning isn't everything.

Suarez has a negro grandfather. Explain to me why an American with mixed blood can be called a nigg@ by another black African American and that is not racist?

Hypocrisy and double standards is all I see.

Hypocrisy and double standards is all you see?

Show me where I said that to be the case.

Assumptions and mere stupidity is all I see.

It's amazing how right you can be when you twist the words of the opposing argument. Congratulations! :thumbsu:

The African American population often feel a certain sense of closeness, a 'brotherhood' bond if you will, to one another. They often call each other nigg@ as a term of endearment and identification.

But I suspect you already know that. Seriously a terrible, terrible analogy.

Comparing that example to Suarez and Evra is a complete joke and just shows you're completely out of touch on the issue at hand.

Funny how in Australia you can be Aboroginal with 1 drop of Aboringal blood in you, yet Suarez with 1/4 black in him is a white racist. ****ing hilarious.

You are merely expanding here on a terrible initial analogy.

Not that we know what Suarez said to Evra, but you reckon it was said as a term of endearment and brotherhood?

Grow up, FFS. And whilst you are at it, pull your head out of the sand.

In the end it's all about the $$$.

This will blow over just as have many incidents involving your players and fans over the years that aren't any different.

Again bringing money into it?

I said it in my previous post but you seem to have missed it, so I'll repeat it again: money is completely and utterly irrelevant. There's no excuse for being racist or for being a s**t human being, money included. Hiding behind the sums of money that they earn and using it as some sort of justification for acting like a pig is outrageous and pathetic.

He comes form a different culture, only a racist would impose their own cultural views onto another persons culture.

You imperialist you.

I'm an imperialist because I want to stamp out racism from sport, and life in general?

Righto. I'll gladly cop that. Gladly.

Defending the indefensible. You are a big man mate, a real big man.

You are really clutching at straws here. To be honest I'm not sure why I am even bothering with this.

The club I support is completely irrelevant. That you can't address the issue at hand without bringing that into it speaks volumes for your 'argument'.

The issue at hand is in no way should Suarez have to shake the liars hand.

Yes, I support Manchester United. That in no way means I can't see a s**t human being, and a s**t act when I see one. And that's exactly what Suarez has shown himself to be throughout this whole ordeal.

Actually what it's shown is a bunch of PC white boys imposing their cultural views onto a situation involving two people from other vastly different cultures.

That in itself is a bigoted attitude.

What is the Spanish word for black?

If you believe that winning is more important than being a decent human being, then I'm sorry but there's something wrong with you.

Evra is a lying little whiney bitch even without this incident. Don't crap on about decent human beings because Evra isn't one in the first place.

He's a two faced liar.

Sometimes winning isn't everything.

It is in big business.

Hypocrisy and double standards is all you see?

Show me where I said that to be the case.

Assumptions and mere stupidity is all I see.

I didn't say you, I was merely talking about all the morons crucifying Suarez who are nothing but ****ing hypocrites to the max.

It's amazing how right you can be when you twist the words of the opposing argument. Congratulations! :thumbsu:

The African American population often feel a certain sense of closeness, a 'brotherhood' bond if you will, to one another. They often call each other nigg@ as a term of endearment and identification.

But I suspect you already know that. Seriously a terrible, terrible analogy.

Comparing that example to Suarez and Evra is a complete joke and just shows you're completely out of touch on the issue at hand.

Actually what is a joke is white men pontificating about a man with African heritage what he can say to another man of African heriatge.

Completely pathetic they are.

And yes, I mean you white boy.

You are merely expanding here on a terrible initial analogy.

Not that we know what Suarez said to Evra, but you reckon it was said as a term of endearment and brotherhood?

I think it was said to an utter **** who sexual villified Suarez female family member.

Nothing worse than low lifes who can dish it out buyt can't take it.

Like that Evra bitch.

Grow up, FFS. And whilst you are at it, pull your head out of the sand.

My heads well out of the sand. Is yours?

I realise certain words don't carry the same meaning in some cultures as they do in others.

Words like negro for instance.

I said it in my previous post but you seem to have missed it, so I'll repeat it again: money is completely and utterly irrelevant. There's no excuse for being racist or for being a s**t human being, money included. Hiding behind the sums of money that they earn and using it as some sort of justification for acting like a pig is outrageous and pathetic.

Would you shake the hand of someone who villified your mother/sister/wife in a sexual manner?

Suarez is there to win games, to bring in money.

Not to be friends with a cry baby from the other team.

I'm an imperialist because I want to stamp out racism from sport, and life in general?

Righto. I'll gladly cop that. Gladly.

Defending the indefensible. You are a big man mate, a real big man.

What I am is a well travelled man.

You on the other hand show every sign of someone who's unlikely to have been outside his own city.

You don't know crap about Uruguyan culture it seems, yet you try to impose your White Anglo PC views to a suituation you are so far removed form it's not funny.

You've taken your one dimentional view of a word, put your bigoted cultural elitist view to it and some how decided anyone in the whole world who uses a certain word is a "pig of a human being".

Just so you know for future refrence. Negro isn't used as a derogatory word in Uruguayan culture.

My beef is they took solely the word of a known lying prick liek Evra as the only word in the matter without taking into consideration cultural differences.

Suarez is no Angel, but he's been absolutely crucified by the PC mongs of the world.

The issue at hand is in no way should Suarez have to shake the liars hand.

Of course he didn't have to shake his hand.

Noone has to do anything.

In most situations in life, however, there's a right thing to do and there's a wrong thing to do.

Unfortunately in this instance, Suarez chose the wrong thing to do.

Actually what it's shown is a bunch of PC white boys imposing their cultural views onto a situation involving two people from other vastly different cultures.

That in itself is a bigoted attitude.

What is the Spanish word for black?

They are playing professional football in England. I don't care what the cultural norm is for any player back in their home country. In England, and indeed in most places around the world, racism is plain wrong.

Is it OK for Suarez to go and rob a bank in England, if it's culturally acceptable in South America?

How about drug dealing?

Murder?

Nope. Wrong is wrong. Hiding behind cultural differences and using it as an excuse for racism is as poor as doing the exact same with money.

It's piss poor. It's a complete and utter cop out. And it is a disgrace.

And yes, I know the Spanish word for black.

Evra is a lying little whiney bitch even without this incident. Don't crap on about decent human beings because Evra isn't one in the first place.

He's a two faced liar.

Is racism acceptable towards Evra because he's not a model citizen?

In this instance, what Evra has done in the past is entirely irrelevant.

I don't care if he's committed murder. Racism directed towards him, is still plain wrong.

As they say - two wrongs don't make a right. Suarez shouldn't be excused for his behaviour towards Evra, regardless of what Evra's done in the past.

It is in big business.

No, it really isn't. Being a decent human being transcends sport. Any which way you look at it.

I'm astounded that anyone could possibly think otherwise.

I didn't say you, I was merely talking about all the morons crucifying Suarez who are nothing but ****ing hypocrites to the max.

I'm crucifying Suarez for doing the wrong thing, initially and in the aftermath.

Using your 'logic', would that not make me a hypocrite in your eyes?

Enlighten me, please.

Actually what is a joke is white men pontificating about a man with African heritage what he can say to another man of African heriatge.

Completely pathetic they are.

And yes, I mean you white boy.

Quit the name calling, it won't get you very far.

I don't care what Suarez's heritage is. That he has a black grandparent is no excuse for racially abusing Patrice Evra.

I said in my previous post that some who share a heritage with each other use what are widely considered racist terms, as a term of brotherhood and endearment. That is the truth.

You are kidding yourself if you think Evra thinks of Suarez, or that Suarez thinks of Evra, in that manner.

I think it was said to an utter **** who sexual villified Suarez female family member.

Nothing worse than low lifes who can dish it out buyt can't take it.

Like that Evra bitch.

So now you're justifying Suarez being racist because Evra made a pathetic comment first?

How old are you, FFS?

Are you the kid at school who justified bullying someone because someone made you cry?

Justifying a pathetic, low-life act because someone did it to you is a childish excuse for horrendous behaviour, and nothing more. Real schoolyard stuff.

Grow up. I'd like to think we are all adults here but evidently I overestimated.

Once again - two wrongs do not make a right, in any circumstance.

My heads well out of the sand. Is yours?

I realise certain words don't carry the same meaning in some cultures as they do in others.

Words like negro for instance.

Are you sure yours is? With each and every post I become more convinced that it really isn't.

Of course different people and different cultures have different social and cultural norms. Of course some words mean one thing in one place, and another thing somewhere else. That's not exactly enlightening stuff you've offered.

Suarez would do well to learn that, though. He's been away from home long enough to understand the cultural differences between his birth place and where he now lives. Failure to recognize that doesn't justify his words or his actions.

Would you shake the hand of someone who villified your mother/sister/wife in a sexual manner?

Suarez is there to win games, to bring in money.

Not to be friends with a cry baby from the other team.

Suarez is there to represent the Liverpool Football Club. That goes beyond winning games and bringing in money. Far, far beyond.

Who said anything about them having to be friends with each other? People don't get along, and that certainly isn't going to change. That's the nature of life. They can hate each other's guts for the rest of their lives for all I care, but there's always a line that need not be crossed.

If someone taunted me or my family, of course I'd be furious. But I'd like to think I'm mature enough to walk away from the situation rather than inflame it by using the justification that because someone has taunted me, I have a free pass to retort in a similar or worse fashion.

In fact, I can tell you I have done exactly that. I have a physical disability that is clearly visible to all who see me. Do you think I haven't been taunted on those grounds before? Of course I have.

Be an adult and take the moral high ground. Really doesn't take a genius to figure out what is the right thing to do in that situation. And I can tell you that racially abusing someone certainly isn't the right thing to do, regardless of what preceded it.

What I am is a well travelled man.

You on the other hand show every sign of someone who's unlikely to have been outside his own city.

You don't know crap about Uruguyan culture it seems, yet you try to impose your White Anglo PC views to a suituation you are so far removed form it's not funny.

You've taken your one dimentional view of a word, put your bigoted cultural elitist view to it and some how decided anyone in the whole world who uses a certain word is a "pig of a human being".

Just so you know for future refrence. Negro isn't used as a derogatory word in Uruguayan culture.

You are a well-traveled man? Kudos to you! As am I, but I'm not going to even bother going there. You know why? Because it's completely irrelevant to this discussion, and it most certainly doesn't make your opinion more valid than mine, or vice versa.

What other irrelevancies are you going to bring into the equation to try and validate your point of view?

The amount of hair on your head? How many times you've been swimming in the past month? Your penis size?

All would be as relevant.

It's acceptable in Uruguayan culture so he shouldn't be pulled up for racially abusing someone on the other side of the globe, in a completely different culture. Spare me. :rolleyes:

My beef is they took solely the word of a known lying prick liek Evra as the only word in the matter without taking into consideration cultural differences.

Suarez is no Angel, but he's been absolutely crucified by the PC mongs of the world.

As he should be. Cultural difference isn't an excuse for racism. THERE ARE NO EXCUSES FOR RACISM. End of story.

Let's look at the facts - Luis Suarez was accused of racially abusing Patrice Evra. The matter was investigated, and a panel ruled that Suarez was to be banned for a period of time. Suarez and Liverpool had the opportunity to appeal the decision, a right which they refused to exercise. Suarez does his time and is given an opportunity by the person he was found guilty of abusing to put the matter, relatively speaking, behind them. He declines, perhaps inflaming the situation further.

At least he's been man enough to apologize. I suspect the apology was forced upon him, but it is some sort of apology. I suppose you reckon that justifies his initial actions, but let me tell you it does not.

All parties involved are now in a position where they can, for the most part, put everything that has transpired behind them. I think you'll find that every party involved recognizes that racism is wrong, and it is important to stamp that out of sport and life in general. But hey - you keep fighting the good fight, ignoring the cold hard facts, and sprouting justification for racism and maintaining it has a place in certain societies due to cultural differences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank God for Sergio Aguero.

United winning is as bad as the Scum and the Filth winning the AFL premiership.

Love, love, love the Sunderland fans doing Man City's dance in the faces of the United fans and players. :thumbsu:

Love the game. Don't laugh too hard but I support Sunderland. Brother-in-law is a local lad and I couldn't break his heart by continuing to follow Arsenal. I remember Arsenal winning the FA Cup in 1971, Charlie George was my favourite player, only in England could you have a name like that. Switched to Sunderland in time to see the 1973 FA Cup triumph against Leeds. Leeds were a mighty team and to win the cup was a magical moment. This is what I like about English football, the cups allow supporters to dream.

The EPL leaves me cold. Unless you have a barrow load of money you're not going anywhere. It's basically the two Manchester teams, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. Apart from Blackburn Rovers has another team besides the ones I've named won the Premier League. How many years? Over 20? Great for the fans of the big clubs not so good for the others.

I do enjoy watching the EPL over the weekend, but year in year out the same teams are at the top of the table. Being a Liverpool supporter this generally doesn't bother me but I do feel for clubs who don't have the money to throw around that they'll never be in the hunt to win the title, or even play European Football.

I do enjoy watching the EPL over the weekend, but year in year out the same teams are at the top of the table. Being a Liverpool supporter this generally doesn't bother me but I do feel for clubs who don't have the money to throw around that they'll never be in the hunt to win the title, or even play European Football.

You are right that there's often not much movement at the top of the table. That's certainly one of the major criticisms of the league - only the few clubs with access to mega bucks can truly challenge for the title year in year out.

However the same can't be said for European football. There are a number of access points for English clubs into Europe, and so many clubs have the opportunity to fight for a place in Europe competitions. You only need to look at this season where we've seen both Wigan (a club fighting for promotion to the PL) and Swansea (mid-table PL) feature in Europe.

Not every club needs to win the title or even feature in Europe to have a successful season. In AFL it's different whereby generally if you don't make finals you've perceived to have failed for that year. In England, the expectations are different for each club.

Of course winning the title and featuring in Europe are the ultimate but some clubs are perfectly happy to finish mid table & perhaps contest for a minor trophy. Other clubs are just happy to be in the PL and to fight for the right to be there consistently. The financial benefit to these smaller clubs simply for remaining in the PL is just enormous.

You are right that there's often not much movement at the top of the table. That's certainly one of the major criticisms of the league - only the few clubs with access to mega bucks can truly challenge for the title year in year out.

However the same can't be said for European football. There are a number of access points for English clubs into Europe, and so many clubs have the opportunity to fight for a place in Europe competitions. You only need to look at this season where we've seen both Wigan (a club fighting for promotion to the PL) and Swansea (mid-table PL) feature in Europe.

Not every club needs to win the title or even feature in Europe to have a successful season. In AFL it's different whereby generally if you don't make finals you've perceived to have failed for that year. In England, the expectations are different for each club.

Of course winning the title and featuring in Europe are the ultimate but some clubs are perfectly happy to finish mid table & perhaps contest for a minor trophy. Other clubs are just happy to be in the PL and to fight for the right to be there consistently. The financial benefit to these smaller clubs simply for remaining in the PL is just enormous.
That is true to a certain extent. Yes the smaller clubs are happy in the current to finish mid table and get a good cup run going, but they're definitely not happy about the level of competition in the league. Football is one of the more unbalanced sports going around unfortunately and the smaller clubs would absolutely love to have the means to be able to compete at the top. The longer that only 4-6 teams can compete for major honours, the worse off the game is.

Don't get me wrong, its always going to be a massive sport with massive followings for each club and they'll support them to the death. Unfortunately a lot of that support is just born out of endless loyalty. No one is truly happy when there is maybe 14 teams that don't have a legitimate hope of achieving what they're there for, to win the title.

That's where AFL is much better for all involved. Fans, players, teams. While someone like St Kilda will likely suck this year, we all know within 5 years or so they'll have the means to make another run at it (unless they have some big blunders in drafting/development etc). Imagine what would have happened to us in the mid 2000's if we were an english soccer team, we'd be chewed up and spat out like Leeds. Heartbreaking for any fan.