EPL Clubs Falling Behind Elite

Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Al-Nassr FC
Hold your horses, fella. Spain only has five teams now on the virtue that as of this season, it is now possible to have 5 teams from one league in the CL (The four that Spain, Germany, and England gets plus the EL winner (which was only awarded a place as of last season).

Note that this only applies to the EL winner if they don’t finish in the CL places. If the CL winner doesn’t finish in the CL places in their league, then the lowest CL qualifier has to play in the Europa, since UEFA rules dictate that only four clubs from one league can enter.

Basically put: If Sevilla finished 4th and Valencia 5th, Valencia would be in the EL. However, since Sevilla finished 5th, the EL Winner’s right to a CL place was activated.

That's why Tottenham were so miffed when they lost the CL place to Chelsea after Chelsea finished 6th, but won the CL.
Yes a new rule for EL winner but not the first time a league had the chance to have 5 teams play in the CL. EPL had their chance 10 years ago during its best ever period, but their teams were not good enough to get through the qualifiers and they failed.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Yes a new rule for EL winner but not the first time a league had the chance to have 5 teams play in the CL. EPL had their chance 10 years ago during its best ever period, but their teams were not good enough to get through the qualifiers and they failed.
Very true, the Liverpool appeal. Originally not playing only because the English FA were so insistent in sending the top 4. Let's be honest, the fact that it was Everton that was 4th place, and the fact they felt that Liverpool robbed them of Euro glory with that English ban, did not help matters.

Of course that did force UEFA to make the rule change that the CL Champion had to be a part of a league's allocation (I mean, how can the Champions League not have the Champions of the Champions League? That would be like not having the Champion of Liechtenstein play in the... wait...)

Of course, Everton had to suck. Mind you, you have to admit Liverpool forcing their way to the Group Stage from the First Qualifying Round, and the fact both them and Chelsea qualified from the same group was pretty cool.

It was a very good period from English teams, but of course that would discredit the strength of the other nations. I think it was more competitive in that period then it is at the present time. I'm not saying it's gone, but English teams are more worried about their coin, the traditional Italian powerhouses are not as strong as they used to be, only Dortmund usually seems capable of putting a Euro run together (outside of Bayern), and they're not in it this time.

Don't get me wrong, I like Valencia, and I think they've done really well to get over Monaco. But things 10 years ago are different to now. In fact, kudos to the Spanish teams for putting in a good shift in both Euro competitions constantly. The new rules regarding the top seeds being the best nation of the top ranking Euro nations combined with the 'one club per nation per group' (which also extends to the Round of 16) could make for some rather interesting Spain vs England matches in the Round of 16. (That's a very weird thought, basically on virtue of the Spanish and English clubs in Pot 2, that means we can only have 2 groups of England vs Spain).

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
If you're club has money why wouldn't you support the shirt you've always supported?

Probably because when some of these cashed up utensil suckers get hold of clubs they take little time in showing the shirt means little to them.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Probably because when some of these cashed up utensil suckers get hold of clubs they take little time in showing the shirt means little to them.
If Brighton were cashed up right now in the PL with blokes like Zlatan running around you would support someone else because they sold out?

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
If Brighton were cashed up right now in the PL with blokes like Zlatan running around you would support someone else because they sold out?

I'd boycott the club if some cashed up arsewipe took over and didnt respect our history, the jersey and the fans. We've done it before in our history. Helped save the club.

The sport would be dead to me until they left. There would be no support someone else, I'm not one of those mongs who has "second teams".

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I'd boycott the club if some cashed up arsewipe took over and didnt respect our history, the jersey and the fans. We've done it before in our history. Helped save the club.

The sport would be dead to me until they left. There would be no support someone else, I'm not one of those mongs who has "second teams".
Brighton are in the FA Cup or Champions League final and you won't watch/hope that Brighton wins?

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton are in the FA Cup or Champions League final and you won't watch/hope that Brighton wins?

I'm no good at imagining scenarios that will never happen sorry.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
What if he respected your history though and his money got you to the EPL?
Yeah I'd like to know exactly what City & Chelsea have done to disrespect their history? I think it's a statement bandied around without much weight. Apart from stadium moves (which has happened since the beginning of football) I can't see what they've done

Care to share your thoughts chef NFGKizza moomba

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yeah I'd like to know exactly what City & Chelsea have done to disrespect their history? I think it's a statement bandied around without much weight. Apart from stadium moves (which have happened since the beginning of football) I can't see what they've done

They have been part of the greed movement thats farked over English football since day one of the EPLs existence.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
They have been part of the greed movement thats farked over English football since day one of the EPLs existence.
English football as a whole wasn't in a great place in the 80s either. The national team have been crap since well before the Russian and Arab money came along also

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
English football as a whole wasn't in a great place in the 80s either. The national team have been crap since well before the Russian and Arab money came along also

At least back then smaller clubs could hope to make something out of young local players. Now the greed means small clubs area have little protection from other clubs stealing their youth for a pathetic pittance.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
At least back then smaller clubs could hope to make something out of young local players. Now the greed means small clubs area have little protection from other clubs stealing their youth for a pathetic pittance.
Like what happened with Fulham only getting 11 million quid for Patrick Roberts. Nearly a mill for every start he has had for them

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Like what happened with Fulham only getting 11 million quid for Patrick Roberts. Nearly a mill for every start he has had for them

Like when clubs closed down youth academies because hey couldnt afford it due to the new financial rules imposed on them by the EPL greedy gang and its blackmailing ways.

Exeter City's chief executive Julian Tagg is critical of EPPP, although the club voted in favour of its introduction.

He said the club "had very little option but to accept the deal, like so many clubs."

He said: "I think the motivation is very simple. It is so Premier League clubs can take the best players."

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Like when clubs closed down youth academies because hey couldnt afford it due to the new financial rules imposed on them by the EPL greedy gang and its blackmailing ways.
Assuming you're talking about Yeovill and Wycombe and the EPPP which funnily enough the large majority of football league clubs voted for. Making set rules for youth academy spend I don't agree with. But I also don't blame it on the top clubs. It's a knee-jerk decision from the FA due to 50 years of mediocrity from the national team and the dwindling numbers of local players capable of playing in the top 5 leagues in the world

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Assuming you're talking about Yeovill and Wycombe and the EPPP which funnily enough the large majority of football league clubs voted for. Making set rules for youth academy spend I don't agree with. But I also don't blame it on the top clubs. It's a knee-jerk decision from the FA due to 50 years of mediocrity from the national team and the dwindling numbers of local players capable of playing in the top 5 leagues in the world

Not funnily. Why is it funny that teams hated the idea but sadly had to vote for it on purely being blackmiled into supporting it?

Peterborough director of football Barry Fry told me the Premier League's threat felt like blackmail.

I'm told it was a reluctant "yes" from many of the clubs, who felt they had no choice. If they voted "no", the Premier League threatened to withdraw over £5m of funding that they give to lower league clubs each year for youth development.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Also cherry picking happens down the divisions to. I doubt you would have paid a great deal to Shrewsbury for this bloke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Goldson but will sell him on in 3 so you years for a profit.

Cherry picking? We paid our second highest ever fee for a defender in our 100+ year history. Not sure how thats cherry picking.

Hell our record signing is a paltry 3 million pounds.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cherry picking? We paid our second highest ever fee for a defender in our 100+ year history. Not sure how thats cherry picking.

Hell our record signing is a paltry 3 million pounds.
Like I said 3 years with you guys and he'll be sold for a heck of a lot more than Shrewsbury got. I'll admit I like the way you guys go about it with academy guys like March and Forster-Caskey etc. but that's not always the case in the lower divisions so pointing the finger at the PL is a bit rich

Back