EPL Matchday 34

Remove this Banner Ad

If only a ridiculously inaccurate calculation of average wages was a guarantee of title success.

To calculate our "average wage" they have taken our total wages of football staff (222 employees) and divided by 25 first team members. It includes players on loan, Mancini and staff payout figures. It also specifies that things like bonuses and image rights are not counted in the survey, yet they are part of our players wages so they have been.

Basically, a load of bollocks.

But even if we presume we are a very highly paid team, you just can't guarantee a title win every year. We're not the finished product, we have had some bad luck with injuries this season, have played a lot of games, and after a pretty poor start have put together a phenomenal run of form until the last week.

Pressure will be on to win it next season, but not going to get carried away now.

The sheikh took them in 2009, bad value for money so far.

A league, an FA Cup, a league cup, a community shield.

For a side that hadn't won silverware since 1976 I'm happy with that. One or two more would have been nice, and I'm expecting a lot more in the next five years as well. But more importantly, we're setting ourselves up with the campus and the academy. And that makes me very happy.

Last edited:

Wonder if they'll follow the same path the other rich club did and forget about pretty football to reappoint Mancini. It would be embarrassing if he keeps getting this sort of return for his money.

Capello was a long time ago. And only lasted a year so I wouldn't think it would be something we're looking at.

5 trophies in 5 years was the stated aim of the board. 1 down, 4 to go.

If only a ridiculously inaccurate calculation of average wages was a guarantee of title success.

To calculate our "average wage" they have taken our total wages of football staff (222 employees) and divided by 25 first team members. It includes players on loan, Mancini and staff payout figures. It also specifies that things like bonuses and image rights are not counted in the survey, yet they are part of our players wages so they have been.

Basically, a load of bollocks.

But even if we presume we are a very highly paid team, you just can't guarantee a title win every year. We're not the finished product, we have had some bad luck with injuries this season, have played a lot of games, and after a pretty poor start have put together a phenomenal run of form until the last week.

Pressure will be on to win it next season, but not going to get carried away now.
Where would you anticipate City ranking after your suggested changes?

Where would you anticipate City ranking after your suggested changes?

I think it's impossible to tell. We can publish our total wage bill, but no club is going to release how much their first team squad earns. We pay £231m or so in wages last season, but thats divvied up amongst 450 or so staff.

I'd say we'd be first or second in the premier league. Madrid, Barca and Munich would probably be ahead of us in Europe.

But it is a bit more complex than that. I understand several clubs pay bonuses and image rights through an external company so that won't show up on their figures. We own 100% image rights for all of our players as a matter of policy and payment for that and bonuses go through the payroll. These are things that the report say are excluded from the survey, but they have been included in our figures.

On the image rights thing, owning image rights will push up the payroll but the club will get a financial benefit that other clubs that don't own image rights would. Impossible to quantify that without going through the books though.

We also had large payouts for Mancini and his staff in the last set of figures. He was a year into a 5 year contract and I believe he was paid out in full.

QPR were fighting a relegation battle which does make a difference though. As NUFC Tiger tiger has pointed out Newcastle will have already finished their season when they come to Anfield on the last day of the season and will turn up just to make up the numbers.

Our season finished early March so there is no chance of us causing any problems. Will likely be fielding many kids and possibly farewell games for a number of the squad.

Just go easy on us if you guys have already won the title prior to kick off :D

Watched the last 15 mins of the city game. I still don't get all the empty seats..

Why? And why on earth are they expanding to 60k?

using the last 15 mins of a weeknight game is a pretty bad example. we sell out every home game. there's a demand for more seats. alas, the stadium is being expanded.

Ridiculous that we are still in a 45k seat stadium. Every game sold out, some months in advance and a 20 year waiting list. Project Anfield sees the main stand replaced with a replica of the centenary stand and a second tier on the Anfield Road end giving us 60k capacity which still won't be enough.

Watched the last 15 mins of the city game. I still don't get all the empty seats..

Game was a sellout. People leave early as the stadium is a shitter to get away from. Not ideal, but there you go.

Why? And why on earth are they expanding to 60k?

To sell 12k more tickets to each game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know why people are so interested in empty seats. The match was a sellout, as every match has been this season. Our average attendance this season is 47,103 which is 98.1% of capacity. Season ticket holders count as an attendee whether they turn up or not. My mate is based in London, he couldn't make it last night but still counts as having attended.

Last weekend half of the tram network was shut down for planned maintenance. Problem is they didn't tell anyone about it. I took the tram when I found out, but as I was leaving the station I saw plenty of blues on the other side waiting for trams. They could have waited another hour for the next train to come, or spent an hour 20 on the replacement bus. No chance any of them made kickoff, and I suspect many of them just went home/pub when they found out.

Last edited:
Our season finished early March so there is no chance of us causing any problems. Will likely be fielding many kids and possibly farewell games for a number of the squad.

Just go easy on us if you guys have already won the title prior to kick off :D
Im praying we have already won the title by then, but if we havent Newcastle at Anfield is a good game for us. You guys will all be on holiday, probably field some kids and fringe players with any luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back