EPL Matchweek 17 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

LVG

"When you want to be in the title race, you have to win these games.

"I have seen, for example, the first half of Manchester City against Crystal Palace. They could have been behind in the first five or 10 minutes. They struggled until half-time but at the end it is 3-0.

"That's the difference.

Sounds awfully like Moyes' "we aspire to be like City" comments last season.

Scrappy win but nice to get the win at KC stadium where we usually struggle.

Looking forward to watching highlights tonight, sounds like there were some good games.

It's a bit of a worry that we'll lose Ki and Bony for extended periods in January, both of them are in pretty good form. However, hoping Gomis and Carroll/Britton can step up.

Mangala starting to show a bit. 4 clean sheets in his last 4 matches and looking much more comfortable. Playing with Demichelis seems to have helped him, what a signing Demi has turned out to be. He's another that was heavily criticised in his first few months of his City career, I reckon he's been our best defender now for 9 months.

If Stoke beat Chelsea 1-0 on Monday we'll have an identical record to Chelsea (wins, points, goals for, goals against).

If that happened at the end of the season how would they decide positions?

Toss of coin? Play off game? H2H? Alphabetical?

He's just pointing out why United still has a bit to go before being in any title race.

He should have a word to his players. They've been all over the press in the last week talking up their title chances.

I don't disagree that United aspire to be more like City. I thought Moyes got it right as well. But some things you just don't say publicly,

Last edited:
If Stoke beat Chelsea 1-0 on Monday we'll have an identical record to Chelsea (wins, points, goals for, goals against).

If that happened at the end of the season how would they decide positions?

Toss of coin? Play off game? H2H? Alphabetical?

Play off game if two teams are identical in every facet.

LVG

Sounds awfully like Moyes' "we aspire to be like City" comments last season.
Yeah nah. Sounds more like he's pissed off utd didn't win when they got a sniff. LVG thinks he's a god so he's never going to say anything like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

City still looking to up the capacity at Etihad by 10,000? Hardly seems necessary, I think I spotted at least that many blue seats at the game last night! They already have the cheapest season ticket prices in the EPL, what is their strategy going to be to fill it up once these new tiers are added on? Pay people to come and watch?

West ham just keep on winning.
Only lost 1 of our last 10 PL matches now.

Didn't even think we played that well to be honest, certainly missing Noble compared to Kevin Nolan playing on the left in a diamond. Leicester certainly had their fair share of possession, but it was probably the best game I've seen Reid play all season, prob MOTM for mine.

Got the Arsenal / Chelsea double coming up, to be honest, if we get 1 point of our 6, I'd potentially take that. Arsenal have always been a bogey side for us, for whatever reason, we're kind of like the Anti-Stoke when it comes to them....

It's a bit of a worry that we'll lose Ki and Bony for extended periods in January, both of them are in pretty good form. However, hoping Gomis and Carroll/Britton can step up.
To be honest I thought gomis was very average last night, so hopefully that's just a form issue for you guys.

Ha ha - wow. Just saw the Villa red card.

Ref doesn't even look at his linesmean (who doesn't even give free kick) - just goes straight for the red card. Awful awful decision.

And winning well. Downing showing just what he's capable of.

******* Spammers... :p
You think, Liverpool basically played Southampton $25M for Lallana to play in the same sort of position that Downing has this season, and look at the season Downing's had.

Not that I'm saying that Lallana isn't any good, far from it, but it just shows how some players need the right opportunity at the right club and in the right system I suppose.

City still looking to up the capacity at Etihad by 10,000? Hardly seems necessary, I think I spotted at least that many blue seats at the game last night! They already have the cheapest season ticket prices in the EPL, what is their strategy going to be to fill it up once these new tiers are added on? Pay people to come and watch?

The game was sold out.

And there are 7k that have paid a deposit on a season ticket next year.

So nothing for you to worry about. Even if the extra seats remain empty, who cares?

As for the cheapest seats, we have a few hundred of those. Most have gone up in price significantly over the past few years (thanks FFP). And the price we charge for single matches is a disgrace IMO.

Going by pictures from yesterday's training it seems Liverpool will be using the same formation they used against Bournemouth, United & in the 2nd half against Basel with Sakho coming in for Lovren:

------------Jones-----------
----Toure-Skrtel-Sakho----
------Gerrard-Lucas--------
Henderson--------Markovic
------Lallana--Coutinho----
-----------Sterling----------

In this 3-4-2-1 formation (that was used on a number of occasions last season), touch wood but we look to have finally found the balance that we've lacked since Sturridge's injury in the opening weeks of the season. The last 3 games Liverpool have started to look more themselves, controlling possession and creating numerous chances going forward. The key for us against Arsenal won't be whether we can generate opportunities to score, but whether Sterling in particular can show enough composure in front of goal to make those chances count.

With any formation that uses 3 CB's, the wingbacks are always going to be crucial. You know that Henderson will run all day so I have no concern about Toure having enough cover down the right flank, and Markovic has really surprised me with how he's stepped into the left wingback role. He's running both ways and with his speed and skill on the ball is looking really threatening going forward, putting in some very impressive performances in some big games (Real Madrid, United away, the must win clash vs Basel).

Must win game for Liverpool, Arsenal will be a stern test no doubt.

Going by pictures from yesterday's training it seems Liverpool will be using the same formation they used against Bournemouth, United & in the 2nd half against Basel with Sakho coming in for Lovren:

------------Jones-----------
----Toure-Skrtel-Sakho----
------Gerrard-Lucas--------
Henderson--------Markovic
------Lallana--Coutinho----
-----------Sterling----------

In this 3-4-2-1 formation (that was used on a number of occasions last season), touch wood but we look to have finally found the balance that we've lacked since Sturridge's injury in the opening weeks of the season. The last 3 games Liverpool have started to look more themselves, controlling possession and creating numerous chances going forward. The key for us against Arsenal won't be whether we can generate opportunities to score, but whether Sterling in particular can show enough composure in front of goal to make those chances count.

With any formation that uses 3 CB's, the wingbacks are always going to be crucial. You know that Henderson will run all day so I have no concern about Toure having enough cover down the right flank, and Markovic has really surprised me with how he's stepped into the left wingback role. He's running both ways and with his speed and skill on the ball is looking really threatening going forward, putting in some very impressive performances in some big games (Real Madrid, United away, the must win clash vs Basel).

Must win game for Liverpool, Arsenal will be a stern test no doubt.
Please Liverpool demoralise the gunners for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back