Toast Ern Henfry - Carlton's Fotgotten Hall of Fame Inductee

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
Kouta seemed to be getting all the love, so Ern Henfry gets his own thread as he deserves.

Premiership captain and 2 x Best & Fairest.

Captained the Blues for all but 2 of his games for us, and led the troops to victory over Essendon in 1947.

Read about him over at the Blueseum: http://blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Ern+Henfry

scan524.jpg

What a charmed life Ern had, got to play for two best clubs in the land in Carlton and West Perth.

As did Steven Browne and Troy Longmuir.:thumbsu:

What a charmed life Ern had, got to play for two best clubs in the land in Carlton and West Perth.

As did Steven Browne and Troy Longmuir.:thumbsu:

blueboy25, you need to do a little bit of fact checking. Ern did not play for the Cardies. Ern played for the Perth Football Club and even coached Barry Cable in Cable's first season in the WAFL. He was the coach of Perth when they won the 1955 WAFL grand final.

blueboy25, you need to do a little bit of fact checking. Ern did not play for the Cardies. Ern played for the Perth Football Club and even coached Barry Cable in Cable's first season in the WAFL. He was the coach of Perth when they won the 1955 WAFL grand final.
My bad Des, not sure why I thought he played for the mighty cardies.

We haven't had many come from the perth footy club to the blues. Richard Kelly is the only one I can remember being drafted and he only lasted a year.

My bad Des, not sure why I thought he played for the mighty cardies.

We haven't had many come from the perth footy club to the blues. Richard Kelly is the only one I can remember being drafted and he only lasted a year.

What about the Buzz? Then there was Buzz's father (Bob) who only played 20 games in 1950's. Earl Spalding and his brother in the 1990's.

And I can't think of any more Perth players who played for Carlton off the top of my head.

Last edited:
What about the Buzz? Then there was Buzz's father (Bob) who only played 20 games in 1955. Earl Spalding and his brother in the 1990's.

And I can't think of any more Perth players who played for Carlton off the top of my head.
I was always considered the Spalding boys as East Freo where they finished up.

Well both of the Spalding boys played for Perth before they played AFL. I don't know why they finished their careers at East Freo. But there have been a lot of players that have played VFL/AFL and then played for a different WAFL club when they moved back to WA. Off the top of my head I can think of Graeme Melrose, Daniel Chick, Mark Seaby, Gerrard Nesham, Jamie Merrello and Barry Cable.

Well both of the Spalding boys played for Perth before they played AFL. I don't know why they finished their careers at East Freo. But there have been a lot of players that have played VFL/AFL and then played for a different WAFL club when they moved back to WA. Off the top of my head I can think of Graeme Melrose, Daniel Chick, Mark Seaby, Gerrard Nesham, Jamie Merrello and Barry Cable.
How about Andrew Krakouer: South Freo - Richmond - Swan Districts - Collingwood - West Perth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back